OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Posted something in the Sixers QFTOS thread, but since it seems like their fans hate their bench (particularly at guard) and seem to like JC, I was trying to come up with trade scenarios that weren't outlandish. My first thought was something like JC for Amir Johnson (who is not only expiring, but probably expendable now that they acquired Trevor Booker), Luwawu-Caborrot, and a 2nd round pick. The Sixers currently have four 2nd rounders in the '18 Draft, including their own. One of those incoming picks is Brooklyn's, which they wouldn't want to give up, but they also own the more favorable 2nd rounder between the Clippers and the Knicks, and maybe that's a fair ask.

The next thing I was wondering about is if the Sixers would give up Johnson and their '18 1st rounder instead, while keeping TLC and one of those 2nd rounders. They have so many young players already, and it's fair to wonder if they would value TLC over a 1st round pick that will likely be out of the lottery anyway (perhaps they could make it lottery protected). That would make the revised deal JC for Amir Johnson and the Sixers' '18 1st, and perhaps we can toss them back our own 2019 2nd round pick to just give them a little something at the back end of the deal (remember that we have Chicago's '19 2nd, so perhaps we could make them take the least favorable of those 2 picks, should we somehow be worse than the Bulls going into the '19 Draft). The Philly '18 1st rounder would figure to be somewhere around the late teens/#20, and would be very valuable in helping to dump Deng, or, if we fail to attract a major free agent, just another building block for the future if we decide to roll with just the young core.

We wouldn't have much use for Johnson, given our already-crowded frontcourt, but he's still good defensively, so maybe we could find a 3rd team to flip him to. If not, no matter...we could just waive him after acquiring him.

Just thinking aloud here, folks. Happy about the win tonight.

Good stuff here Stu. What would the Sixers lineup look like with Clarkson (and Fultz)? What do they do with McConnell and Bayless?

Last edited by Joe Pesci on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Posted something in the Sixers QFTOS thread, but since it seems like their fans hate their bench (particularly at guard) and seem to like JC, I was trying to come up with trade scenarios that weren't outlandish. My first thought was something like JC for Amir Johnson (who is not only expiring, but probably expendable now that they acquired Trevor Booker), Luwawu-Caborrot, and a 2nd round pick. The Sixers currently have four 2nd rounders in the '18 Draft, including their own. One of those incoming picks is Brooklyn's, which they wouldn't want to give up, but they also own the more favorable 2nd rounder between the Clippers and the Knicks, and maybe that's a fair ask.

The next thing I was wondering about is if the Sixers would give up Johnson and their '18 1st rounder instead, while keeping TLC and one of those 2nd rounders. They have so many young players already, and it's fair to wonder if they would value TLC over a 1st round pick that will likely be out of the lottery anyway (perhaps they could make it lottery protected). That would make the revised deal JC for Amir Johnson and the Sixers' '18 1st, and perhaps we can toss them back our own 2019 2nd round pick to just give them a little something at the back end of the deal (remember that we have Chicago's '19 2nd, so perhaps we could make them take the least favorable of those 2 picks, should we somehow be worse than the Bulls going into the '19 Draft). The Philly '18 1st rounder would figure to be somewhere around the late teens/#20, and would be very valuable in helping to dump Deng, or, if we fail to attract a major free agent, just another building block for the future if we decide to roll with just the young core.

We wouldn't have much use for Johnson, given our already-crowded frontcourt, but he's still good defensively, so maybe we could find a 3rd team to flip him to. If not, no matter...we could just waive him after acquiring him.

Not a bad train of thought...but it would need to be done this summer as a cap clearing move. We need all the W's we can get and JC has been pretty crucial to our success so far.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Good stuff here Stu. What would the Sixers lineup look like with Clarkson (and Fultz)? What do they do with McConnell and Bayless?

Just my own speculation, as I'm not a doctor, but I don't think they are going to get anything from Fultz this season, or if they do, he's nowhere near being able to play anytime soon. And JC is simply much better than McConnell and Bayless, though McConnell hasn't played badly this season in his limited minutes. They probably could use an athleticism infusion for their bench, and McConnell doesn't give them that. Bayless' PER is under 10 and he's playing 27 minutes a game for them, so my guess is that JC could essentially replace his minutes.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Here is my newest trade idea. JJ Reddick, Amir Johnson, and two of the 76ers 2018 2nds for Clarkson and Lopez

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Not a bad train of thought...but it would need to be done this summer as a cap clearing move. We need all the W's we can get and JC has been pretty crucial to our success so far.

I realize that JC is playing well, but we clearly have a plan for the offseason, and if you can get a 1st round pick for JC, I think it would be very hard to turn that down. Before the season, we were thinking that we might have to dump a pick just to move JC, so I think you have to take advantage of the market factors if that's what JC's value is now. And I don't know if it is, but if you could get that kind of value for him, I think it would be prudent to pull the trigger. Just my opinion.

And who knows, maybe you could do something like flip Bogut (or even Amir Johnson if you had him) for a veteran backup guard that is expiring.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject:

GonzagaAlum wrote:
Here is my newest trade idea. JJ Reddick, Amir Johnson, and two of the 76ers 2018 2nds for Clarkson and Lopez

This one made me think, but I think they value Redick's shooting. And I'm not sure how much they would value Lopez, given that he would only be a backup for them, and they just traded a slow backup center in Okafor. I think Amir is clearly tradeable after Dec. 15 for them, though, and his salary does happen to match up with JC perfectly.
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:
Its a NY thing now. Your got Porzingis in NY, Okafor and DLo in Brooklyn. They are joining forces and they still wont be close to him.
Gosh I remember how badly I wanted Porzingis and everyone here was telling me he sucks, hes going to be a bust etc, everyone wanted Okafor or DLo. Well Porzingis is muuuuuuch muuuuuch muuuch muuuch better than both.

But LaMelo is going to be much better than Ponzi

Much better than DLo? Yup.
Better than Porzingis? Nope.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject:

Since Philadelphia is so far under the cap, the deal could actually be Clarkson for their first rd. pick.

Seems fair considering their need to make a strong showing in the playoffs.

If Philadelphia wants LeBron James though, would they make moves with the Lakers knowing that they could possibly be helping the Lakers (cap space and a pick) achieve that end for themselves?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject:

If JC is going to Philly I want Reddick for the rest of the year.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
trablos wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I realize that JC is playing well, but we clearly have a plan for the offseason, and if you can get a 1st round pick for JC, I think it would be very hard to turn that down. Before the season, we were thinking that we might have to dump a pick just to move JC, so I think you have to take advantage of the market factors if that's what JC's value is now. And I don't know if it is, but if you could get that kind of value for him, I think it would be prudent to pull the trigger. Just my opinion.

And who knows, maybe you could do something like flip Bogut (or even Amir Johnson if you had him) for a veteran backup guard that is expiring.

Well stated. If a first round pick in the mid to late teens is available, you take it, wish Clarkson well, and run.

I’m not some new-age draft hoarder either, but, in this context, for what the Lakers are trying to do (clear Deng), a mid first rd. pick is more valuable than Clarkson.

A deal like this gives the Lakers tremendous flexibility, but for Philadelphia, if they have eyes for LeBron too, maybe they don’t want the Lakers to have that flexibility.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject:

^
Philly is not under the cap, by the way. (Certainly not by $11MM.)

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/philadelphia-76ers-team-salary/

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/philadelphia-76ers/cap/
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject:

As for the notion of Philly being worried about helping us by getting JC's salary off, and for the notion of having JC's deal take up space for their own pursuit of LeBron, I don't think JC's contract is viewed as toxic now. So they probably would be able to move him if it absolutely came to that (and they have a million 2nd round picks to part with if they had to give up a pick rather than actually get one for him), and I would think that, if they thought JC could help their playoff push this year, that that would be the issue they would be most concerned about. I could be wrong, but that's my sense of it.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject:

I stand corrected.

You and I both would love a trade like the one you proposed, but I’m just not sure their love for Clarkson supersedes their desire to sign LeBron James or Paul George, and the Lakers are their stiffest competition for those guys.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject:

It’s not that Clarkson’s contract would keep them from being able to sign James. It’s that allowing the Lakers to unload Clarkson for a first could, from Phila’s perspective, help the Lakers a little too much.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Lopez can’t really be traded with his contract being so high.

What the Lakers should do is bench him entirely for a while.

Let Nance and Randle rock there full time for a few games and gauge the results.

No spacing with Randle and LNJ!!!

Teams would crowd the paint against us. Actually no one wants to leave Brook open on the 3pt line, but they would leave JR and LNJ open.

If You bench Lopez, you have to play Kuz with JR, simply for the spacing
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:49 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Lopez can’t really be traded with his contract being so high.

What the Lakers should do is bench him entirely for a while.

Let Nance and Randle rock there full time for a few games and gauge the results.

No spacing with Randle and LNJ!!!

Teams would crowd the paint against us. Actually no one wants to leave Brook open on the 3pt line, but they would leave JR and LNJ open.

If You bench Lopez, you have to play Kuz with JR, simply for the spacing

Where do I sign?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
It’s not that Clarkson’s contract would keep them from being able to sign James. It’s that allowing the Lakers to unload Clarkson for a first could, from Phila’s perspective, help the Lakers a little too much.

And what I'm saying is that, if LeBron chose the Lakers, we're ultimately going to be able to move Clarkson anyway. His contract isn't so toxic that no one would take it, and if it came to it, the Lakers would be prepared to actually give up draft capital, and I think they would actually be in a position to get draft capital for him. Given that context, I think that you can make a case that Philly would deal for him if they thought he could help their team not only this season, but for 2 more years after this one. Again, if LeBron chose them next summer and if they had to have cap space, they would find a way to make it work, whether that meant dumping JC or Bayless (who would be expiring next season) or both or more.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject:

matigol wrote:
Actually no one wants to leave Brook open on the 3pt line, but they would leave JR and LNJ open.

Actually they did leave him open, Brook built a new hotel with those bricks.
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
matigol wrote:
Actually no one wants to leave Brook open on the 3pt line, but they would leave JR and LNJ open.

Actually they did leave him open, Brook built a new hotel with those bricks.

....but every team knows that LNJ and JR frequently denying to shoot from 3 point land
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject:

2018:

Lonzo
PG13
BI
Kuz/Jules
Boogie

Let's go.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
2018:

Lonzo
PG13
BI
Kuz/Jules
Boogie

Let's go.

take PG13 out of there it will be Lebron and Boogie
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2018:

Lonzo
PG13
BI
Kuz/Jules
Boogie

Let's go.

Then it'll be harder to keep Jules.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2018:

Lonzo
PG13
BI
Kuz/Jules
Boogie

Let's go.

I will take LeBRon and Boogie if that means losing Randle
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject:

pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
pmacla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
2018:

Lonzo
PG13
BI
Kuz/Jules
Boogie

Let's go.

I will take LeBRon and Boogie if that means losing Randle

I actually prefer LBJ/PG13 than LBJ/Boogie. More defensive versatility.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

^Welcome aboard the too much good sense train. Happy to have you.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 195, 196, 197 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 196 of 2680
Jump to: