OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2527, 2528, 2529 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Never understood Philly. Never liked him, never gave him a chance, was never enamored with Oak, so why draft him? Why not shoot for the stars in Kristaps? If KP turns out to be a bust, which obviously he isn't, who cares? That gamble would have been worth it instead of drafting someone you never wanted. I don't get it. Maybe that was worthy of being laid off for Hinkie.

All that's easy to say in hindsight. But at the time, most teams would have taken Okafor over Kristaps (heck most draft predictions had Emmanuel Mudiay over Kristaps). If you look at the analysis right the draft, most people gave the 76ers an A for choosing Okafor, while commenting that Kristaps was a risky pick.

I get that, but based on how they never gave him a chance, then why does any of that analysis matter? They drafted someone they didn't like, when you should always trust your own scouting. But then again, mabye that's a reflection of the lack of confidence in their department.

I mean it wasn't easy for the Lakers. D'LO over Okafor was quite controversial as well. When you got supposed brains in the media such as Magic and Phil Jackson raving about Oakafor. The Lakers trusted their own scouting, which was wrong about KP too btw, but nevertheless, they went with their own draft board.

The way I see it, the 76ers have a center (Embidd) whose future was unclear, so they took the best available player. He had a good, but not great rookie season. The next year, Embiid finally returned, and was head and shoulders better, making Okafor unnecessary.

Towns was the clear #1 pick and after that there was a mixed bag of guys with pros and cons. And then you just throw the dice. And if you make the wrong choice, as most teams do, you get second guessed.

But that's the draft. The good choices are dismissed as "no brainers," while the bad choices are considered stupid mistakes that should have been obvious.

I mean heck if the Knicks were so brilliant for choosing Kristaps, why did they take Frank Ntilikina instead of Donovan Mitchell the next time around. And the reason is you don't always get lucky.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Can we officially change the name of this site to Netsground.net now?

I believe all parties on this forum can now rejoice in our fandom of that team.

One guy was never a Laker and the other was here just two years, yet some Laker fans have developed deep emotional attachments to each....lol..

In the past, hard core sports fans would have discussed their favorite teams with only co-workers, family and friends, and the majority of those people wouldn't be as passionate so the conversations would be limited. Now there are pages upon pages of discussions, between the like minded, about prospective draft choices and this saturation causes fans to develop emotional attachments to something that never was or was short lived. The internet has warped reality.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject:

the Nets have a better record than the Lakers?????????? I haven't been paying attention, but lol.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
the Nets have a better record than the Lakers?????????? I haven't been paying attention, but lol.

East is a joke
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
tox wrote:

East is a joke

True but I'm all for Cleveland getting a worse pick.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject:

Why not?

Big Head
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Out of curiosity, I looked to see what DLO's DRPM is. After not playing for weeks, it's bumped up to -1.3. LOL I guess RPM is figuring out the Nets' defense is trash one way or another.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Out of curiosity, I looked to see what DLO's DRPM is. After not playing for weeks, it's bumped up to -1.3. LOL I guess RPM is figuring out the Nets' defense is trash one way or another.

Now that they have Okafor, Brooklyn's defense will somehow get worse.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:

Now that they have Okafor, Brooklyn's defense will somehow get worse.

For posterity: Mozgov's RPM splits are -2.99, 1.29, -1.7 (ORPM/DRPM/RPM).
Let's see how much those numbers get boosted in the coming months as he gets compared to Okafor lol
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Wow. DLo and Oak in one team.

I had suggested in Okafor thread that Nets might go for him.

Quote:
Philly will send Okafor, Nik Stauskas, and a second-round pick to Brooklyn for Trevor Booker, sources say.

Marks got a second round pick for an expiring. Not bad. Maybe they will turn Oak into something similar to Kanter in some time. Instant offense from the bench.

I actually wouldnt be surprised if the Nets and Lakers dont do a DLO trade part 2.

If I was the Nets, I would explore sending Okafor to the Lakers. Very similar situation as Brooke Lopez (Expiring Big Man, who Magic likes)

The Nets can probably get Randle and Zu from the Lakers. Its clear that Lakers do not like Randle, and Zu fits better with DLO than with Ball.

Possible Trade:

Deng/Randle/ZU/Draft Considerations

for

Okafor/DeMarre

DeMarre is easier to move than Deng is. The Nets would keep getting draft picks and young assets while eating bad Ks.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
Never understood Philly. Never liked him, never gave him a chance, was never enamored with Oak, so why draft him? Why not shoot for the stars in Kristaps? If KP turns out to be a bust, which obviously he isn't, who cares? That gamble would have been worth it instead of drafting someone you never wanted. I don't get it. Maybe that was worthy of being laid off for Hinkie.

Hinkie has had several misses in the draft. Embiid was an obvious one at #3 after being projected as #1 pre-injury.

I think the fact that everyone screws up was kind of baked into "The Process." If you give yourself enough chances at it, eventually you're gonna find a couple of studs that are worth building around, which is what ended up happening.

Exactly.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

All that's easy to say in hindsight. But at the time, most teams would have taken Okafor over Kristaps (heck most draft predictions had Emmanuel Mudiay over Kristaps). If you look at the analysis right the draft, most people gave the 76ers an A for choosing Okafor, while commenting that Kristaps was a risky pick.

I get that, but based on how they never gave him a chance, then why does any of that analysis matter? They drafted someone they didn't like, when you should always trust your own scouting. But then again, mabye that's a reflection of the lack of confidence in their department.

I mean it wasn't easy for the Lakers. D'LO over Okafor was quite controversial as well. When you got supposed brains in the media such as Magic and Phil Jackson raving about Oakafor. The Lakers trusted their own scouting, which was wrong about KP too btw, but nevertheless, they went with their own draft board.

Werent there media reports about Jim being enamored with Kristaps and being mocked for it. Either way, the Lakers decision at that moment was clearly Okafor v. DLO.
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Werent there media reports about Jim being enamored with Kristaps and being mocked for it. Either way, the Lakers decision at that moment was clearly Okafor v. DLO.

Its hard to say, there were reports that everyone loved KP, but no one thought their fan base would accept it. A lot of Knicks fan were insanely unhappy they took him, and that was after the 2 generational centers and amazing shooting PG were taken. Taking him at 2 would have been suicide in the media.

Also, take a look what we would have seen if we drafted him with Byron, he said he wanted an extension if they drafted him because he expected KP to suck for a while.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244259/Lakers-Challenged-Kristaps-Porzingis-Physicality-During-Pre-Draft-Workout

On the other hand, there were reports from that time that the Lakers were very high on him after his workout
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/6/13/8775675/kristaps-porzingis-had-an-amazing-workout-against-no-one

Probably the best answer is that some people internally liked him enough to take at #2 (or to trade down), and others didn't.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

How crazy is it the Nets have Russ and Oakafor? I thought we would pick Okafor over Russ now they have both.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject:

noahp45 wrote:
How crazy is it the Nets have Russ and Oakafor? I thought we would pick Okafor over Russ now they have both.

They gave up very little for them too. Brook was an expiring and they could have had Kuz at pick 21 if they really wanted him. Pretty smart to scoop up assets (though Oak isn’t one to me especially bc his team option was declined).
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject:

10scott10 wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Its hard to say, there were reports that everyone loved KP, but no one thought their fan base would accept it. A lot of Knicks fan were insanely unhappy they took him, and that was after the 2 generational centers and amazing shooting PG were taken. Taking him at 2 would have been suicide in the media.

Also, take a look what we would have seen if we drafted him with Byron, he said he wanted an extension if they drafted him because he expected KP to suck for a while.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/244259/Lakers-Challenged-Kristaps-Porzingis-Physicality-During-Pre-Draft-Workout

On the other hand, there were reports from that time that the Lakers were very high on him after his workout
https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/6/13/8775675/kristaps-porzingis-had-an-amazing-workout-against-no-one

Probably the best answer is that some people internally liked him enough to take at #2 (or to trade down), and others didn't.

I think the best description is that there was internal disagreement in the organization. I think given the #2 PIck and the Politics at play it would be hard for the Lakers to have taken KP.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
10scott10 wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

I think the best description is that there was internal disagreement in the organization. I think given the #2 PIck and the Politics at play it would be hard for the Lakers to have taken KP.

Just imagine:

Pozingis/Randle/Ingram/Lonzo + Kuzma, Nance, Clarkson

DLO had every reason to get #2 and I think having Okafor and DLO so proven in their one year in college, it made it to for Mitch and Co. to take KP. Had he busted, they would have looked like fools.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject:

Apparently Byron didn't like KP in a workout, probably thought he was too frail. But the other problem was jules out the season before, and the Lakers probably though KP was a "PF," and didn't have enough info on Jules. I think it's safe to presume they didn't want to invest 2 high lottery picks on PFs.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Apparently Byron didn't like KP in a workout, probably thought he was too frail. But the other problem was jules out the season before, and the Lakers probably though KP was a "PF," and didn't have enough info on Jules. I think it's safe to presume they didn't want to invest 2 high lottery picks on PFs.

Ironically, KP would've developed into the perfect C for Julius to play alongside.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject:

Maybe some old school thinking by the decision makers at the time.

Generals usually fight the last war. What this means is simple: the generals running a new war make plans based on the previous war.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Ironically, the biggest complaint I heard was whether they thought he could support carrying enough weight to play five, along with his durability concerns with or without added weight.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Ironically, the biggest complaint I heard was whether they thought he could support carrying enough weight to play five, along with his durability concerns with or without added weight.

Which at the time was a fair concern.

I think losing Jules in year 1 really was a blow to this team long-term. Lost 1 year of evaluating him. What if after his rookie year, the team thought it needed a better "PF" option and elected to trade down to get KP?
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Anthony Puccio‏Verified account
@APOOCH
38m38 minutes ago
More
“We grew up playing together.” Okafor on playing wit Russell.

Quote:
@APOOCH
42m42 minutes ago
More
“It’s hard not to think about it,” Okafor says about playing with DLo

Quote:
@APOOCH
37m37 minutes ago
More
Jahlil says he and D’Angelo have “a lot to prove” and that he knows DLo is “working his ass off” to get healthy.”

Quote:
@APOOCH
35m35 minutes ago
More
Okafor on shooting 3s: “I’ve tried to extend my range. That’s one of the things I heard about Brooklyn... developing players.”

Quote:
@APOOCH
33m33 minutes ago
More
Okafor said he weighs 250-255 and his knee “feels great.”

Quote:
Greg Logan‏Verified account
@GregLogan1
17m17 minutes ago
More
#JahlilOKafor & #NikStauskas both were shocked that @BrooklynNets head coach Kenny Atkinson not only worked them out on Sunday morning after getting back from Mexico and was so hands-on doing the actual work with them on offensive concepts.

Quote:
@APOOCH
1m1 minute ago
More
Okafor said D'Angelo Russell was the first person he called when he got traded to Brooklyn.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Okafor has slimmed down quite a bit from his rookie season.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQzCxbIWkAIEPDT.jpg
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

Don't know what this says about Russell but the Nets have gone 6-7 without him. Also without Lin in that time. With Russ they were 4-8.

Okafor, Russell together is just ironic in so many ways from our perspective. Longterm Nets have quietly gotten some good young players or prospects.

Allen
Okafor
Jefferson
LeVert
Russell

With an outstanding coach.

Do they have their draft pick this year? They should.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2527, 2528, 2529 ... 2854, 2855, 2856  Next
Page 2528 of 2856
Jump to: