2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
32 wrote:
Take a look at their payroll and tax situation. It's not your money. Lol

The issue I have is the throwing good money at "bargain" prices for broken playesr with the hope they can give them quality seasons hoping to be the smartest guys in the room. $96M over the next 3-4 years for 2 guys that have barely even put on a uniform. They can't pull those shenanigans in the attempt to be the smartest guy in teh room and balk when the asking price for Verlander is his current contract of $20/year. That's nuts.

Who would that be they are at 108 million next year shedding McCarthy, Kazmir, and Gonzalez and presumably Grandahl who is a tradeable asset. I think they still owe Crawford money, but he and Gonzalez were on the previous regimes books. Even Kershaw drops off his 34 million if he doesn't opt in.

No clue. Despite the plethora of youth we have on the squad, we're in win now mode. Not my $ but Stanton would have been ridiculous on this team.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
32 wrote:

The issue I have is the throwing good money at "bargain" prices for broken playesr with the hope they can give them quality seasons hoping to be the smartest guys in the room. $96M over the next 3-4 years for 2 guys that have barely even put on a uniform. They can't pull those shenanigans in the attempt to be the smartest guy in teh room and balk when the asking price for Verlander is his current contract of $20/year. That's nuts.

Who would that be they are at 108 million next year shedding McCarthy, Kazmir, and Gonzalez and presumably Grandahl who is a tradeable asset. I think they still owe Crawford money, but he and Gonzalez were on the previous regimes books. Even Kershaw drops off his 34 million if he doesn't opt in.

No clue. Despite the plethora of youth we have on the squad, we're in win now mode. Not my $ but Stanton would have been ridiculous on this team.

Stanton is good but I feel we were saving for the monstrous contract harper will get next year.

Harper at his best is as good as trout.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
32 wrote:

Stanton is good but I feel we were saving for the monstrous contract harper will get next year.

Except that Trout has been at or near his best for virtually his entire career, whereas Harper has only shown flashes of that, like in his MVP year, sure. But other than that? Just flashes. If Trout were a free agent right now, he'd get $450-500MM.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
32 wrote:

Exactly... We're not saying that they should spend whatever it costs to get everyone that's an All-Star, but they need to be called out for their moves when they were bad decisions then and are affecting decisions now. McCarthy and Kazmir make up about $29 million on the payroll for next season. They also owe like an extra $10 million on guys that they dumped. That's almost $40 million in dead money.

When the front office was brought on board I thought the plan was to be competitive but not wasteful with their financial resources while the young prospects develop into the core of the team. Instead right off the bat they did what jonnybravo said, throwing good money at perceived "bargain" prices. There was a lot more risk involved in giving those anchor contracts to marginal players that can't stay healthy. Honeycutt is supposed to be a great pitching coach. Dodgers would have been better served signing one year deals to marginal pitchers that can at least stay healthy. Let's face it, in the playoffs Dave Roberts has shown his absolute trust in just a handful of pitchers anyways.

I wonder how the team would have looked if they had done the Aroldis Chapman trade considering they would not have given up any of their top prospects at the time. They could have still flipped him like the Yankees ended up doing and get even more ammo.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
nickuku wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
32 wrote:

Except that Trout has been at or near his best for virtually his entire career, whereas Harper has only shown flashes of that, like in his MVP year, sure. But other than that? Just flashes. If Trout were a free agent right now, he'd get $450-500MM.

Yeah, mentioned quite a few times that Trout like regular season Kershaw is so dang good that guys have career years that amount to basically just another year for those two.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
32 wrote:

Or maybe they just like having former players on their squad. That's the only logical explanation to what McCarthy and Kazmir are on this team. Same with Brett Anderson a while earlier. If they actually do something, all the better but the importance is having them in your pocket so you can have fun in that other pocket in your pants.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
32 wrote:

I believe that they genuinely thought that Darvish was a better acquisition than Verlander would be.

That's a fair point and one reasonable with the information at the time.

It's the Anderson/Mccarthy/Kazmir signings that were head scratching. Those were Mozdeng caliber.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject:

Some new information out there (from an anonymous Astros player) about Yu Darvish tipping his pitches.

Quote:
According to a Houston player, the Astros often knew what Darvish was about to throw by the way he brought the ball into his glove in the set position. (Darvish pitches exclusively out of the stretch.) The player said it worked like this: Darvish holds the ball at his side when he gets the sign from the catcher. Whether he re-grips or not as he brings the ball into his glove was the tip-off whether he was going to throw a slider/cutter or a fastball.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/12/11/dodgers-yu-darvish-tipped-pitches-world-series-astros
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject:

It's amazing with all of the money we spend/have spent on analytics, we can't even find/correct something like tipped pitches, especially when you have word during the series that it might be happening.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
It's amazing with all of the money we spend/have spent on analytics, we can't even find/correct something like tipped pitches, especially when you have word during the series that it might be happening.

Because analytics doesn't tell you that. Good scouting with good eyes gets you that. Old school baseball.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject:

I still don't get how Altuve came out of the dugout to yell "look at his glove!" and the Dodgers were unaware of it or indifferent. Fans in the stands heard it clearly and knew what he meant. It's just such an epic display of incompetence to not wonder why he said that and then connect the dots when Darvish got shelled.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Would love to see Archer in Dodger blue. I think he would fare similarly in the NL to how Scherzer did once he came back to the NL. Not quite as great, but ace-like nonetheless...

Joel Sherman‏
Verified account

@Joelsherman1
46s
47 seconds ago

More
#Rays are listening on Archer, Longoria and Colome, with Colome by far the most likely to get moved at this point.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

I remember reading somewhere that

<< this guy tipped his pitches.

Didn't matter.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that

<< this guy tipped his pitches.

Didn't matter.

Sandy was so good that when he would have bad days and his breaking ball wasn't working he would choose to only throw the fast ball...

AND STILL DOMINATED.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject:

@kengurnick
Zaidi said the club still is having active dialogue with Darvish, a free agent.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Dodgers look like the perfect landing spot for Jake Arrieta

Quote:
Watching Yu Darvish get 10 outs combined in two World Series losses reinforced the perception that Arrieta is the best starting pitcher on the open market and the Dodgers whiffed by not signing Max Scherzer three years ago or trading for Justin Verlander last winter or this summer.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/cubs/dodgers-look-perfect-landing-spot-jake-arrieta-kershaw-world-series-astros-darvish
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject:

@kengurnick
Zaidi said trades are more likely than free agent signings for the Dodgers in the next week. He expects the next two weeks to be busy in the industry after a slow winter.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
News: Los Angeles Angels star Shohei Ohtani has a damaged ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching elbow, according to a physical obtained by Yahoo Sports. Details:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/940792597026664448
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
News: Los Angeles Angels star Shohei Ohtani has a damaged ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching elbow, according to a physical obtained by Yahoo Sports. Details:

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/940792597026664448

He'll get the 'Maeda' contract.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Angels still win....he's worth it at 2 million bucks.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject:

With the posting fee and signing bonus, it might be closer $22million plus the mlb minimum at $545,000 per year for the next three years. Seems to be 1st degree which allows him to pitch, though with an "elbow care program"
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject:

I just wish we could be a match for Manny Machado, who the Orioles are apparently listening to calls on. I'm a giant fan of his game and like him more than Bryce Harper, actually. But it probably doesn't match up, as I can't see this FO giving up major prospects to get a guy with 1 year of team control left.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
With the posting fee and signing bonus, it might be closer $22million plus the mlb minimum at $545,000 per year for the next three years. Seems to be 1st degree which allows him to pitch, though with an "elbow care program"

Damn I was pumped to watch the kid. He's still playing though right? Or is he going to be shelved?
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject:

Wtf haven't we acquired Ozuna yet?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I just wish we could be a match for Manny Machado, who the Orioles are apparently listening to calls on. I'm a giant fan of his game and like him more than Bryce Harper, actually. But it probably doesn't match up, as I can't see this FO giving up major prospects to get a guy with 1 year of team control left.

Potential cost being a factor, I'm in agreement.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 13 of 334
Jump to: