OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 769, 770, 771 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Unbelievable defense from a rookie guard. His offense is coming around. Good things happen when he's aggressive, make or miss.

I'm encouraged. Over the last few games, he has shown consistent effort and has (mostly) stayed engaged on both ends of the floor. That's not as fun as a occasional triple double, but it is more important in my opinion.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Great game from Lonzo.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Magic to have film session with Lonzo
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/12/12/16764494/la-lakers-news-lonzo-ball-magic-johnson-film-study-breakdown-mentor

Quote:

Lonzo Ball’s rookie season has been a roller coaster ride for the Los Angeles Lakers, with the point guard being as polarizing as expected. There are triple-doubles, and there are single-digit outings and benched fourth quarters.

Count Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson as someone who isn’t worried about Ball’s growing pains as a rookie. Johnson shared an illuminating 20 minutes discussing the state of the franchise with Mike Bresnahan of Spectrum SportsNet. In that, he gave his progress report on Lonzo’s first 25 games.

“Typical rookie season, but he's special,” Johnson said of Ball’s inconsistent start. “His basketball IQ is off the charts, we've seen a couple games where he's had triple-doubles.”

Something Magic attributes to the bumpy start to Lonzo’s career is the Lakers’ lack of an experienced point guard to help guide him. Tyler Ennis certainly isn’t the guy for that, and Jordan Clarkson is more of a combo guard than “point” guard.

“We don't have a veteran guy in terms of a point guard that can help Lonzo along the way and teach him the ropes. He's thrown in and he has to learn game-by-game, and that's hard for a rookie at the point guard position,” Magic said.

What Lonzo does have is one of the greatest point guards in NBA history at his disposal, and one that is fully invested in his success. Johnson plans on breaking down film with his hand-picked franchise guard soon.

“We've had our conversations, and we're going to have a film session together. I was waiting for about 25-to-30 games. After that, we're going to sit down, point guard to point guard, and just hang out. Watch film, and ask him what does he see and I'll tell him what I see, and then how do we correct this or that,” Johnson said.

The Lakers are at the midway point of a four-game road trip, which ends on Thursday in Cleveland. They’ll be off until Monday when the Golden State Warriors visit STAPLES Center, which could present a good opportunity for the two to pow-wow over film.

Beyond that, though, Magic wants to make himself available to Lonzo as a confidant he can turn to. Ball has tremendous expectations to live up to — some of which was generated from the lips of Johnson himself — and Magic wants to help him shoulder some of that as a mentor.

“I'm here for him, and not just basketball. I'm also here just to be a listening ear. I think he needs a guy just to sit and listen to him. Just talk. I've never seen a guy with this type of pressure on him,” Magic said.

How Johnson’s influence on Ball will impact his career is an interesting, intangible, aspect to this that will play out over time. Oh, to be a fly on the wall of their film session.

Man, how lucky is this kid? Sitting down with the #1 guy at what you are trying to become and getting personal coaching to help you improve. Lonzo's best skill is between his ears and I'm sure it will pay dividends.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo doesn't bring the same intensity in crunch time that he brings other times in the game. I think he's intimidated by the older guys on the team like Randle, Clarkson, KCP, and defers to them far too often. We needed the Lonzo of the 3rd Q in the 4th Q. Whether the shots were falling or not, we needed that aggression.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Fracture wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Lineup in crunch time should be clarkson, kcp, Ingram, randle, Kuzma. Ball should not be playing

Get outta here with that nonsense.

total nonsense

He should stop posting in crunch time. He's bad at it.

So yes, let's have a bunch of dudes in there at crunch time who are turnover prone and make poor decisions with the ball.

Like the ones who won the last game?

Yes the guys who struggled against a team that actually defended a pick and roll.

Last edited by epak on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Great game from Zo.. he's one of those players that excites you when he has the rock.. you're anticipating what might happen, you're kind of expecting something cool to happen. For a long time Kobe has been the only guy that provides that kind of excitement for us, well for me at least.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Magic to have film session with Lonzo
https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2017/12/12/16764494/la-lakers-news-lonzo-ball-magic-johnson-film-study-breakdown-mentor

Quote:

Lonzo Ball’s rookie season has been a roller coaster ride for the Los Angeles Lakers, with the point guard being as polarizing as expected. There are triple-doubles, and there are single-digit outings and benched fourth quarters.

Count Lakers president of basketball operations Magic Johnson as someone who isn’t worried about Ball’s growing pains as a rookie. Johnson shared an illuminating 20 minutes discussing the state of the franchise with Mike Bresnahan of Spectrum SportsNet. In that, he gave his progress report on Lonzo’s first 25 games.

“Typical rookie season, but he's special,” Johnson said of Ball’s inconsistent start. “His basketball IQ is off the charts, we've seen a couple games where he's had triple-doubles.”

Something Magic attributes to the bumpy start to Lonzo’s career is the Lakers’ lack of an experienced point guard to help guide him. Tyler Ennis certainly isn’t the guy for that, and Jordan Clarkson is more of a combo guard than “point” guard.

“We don't have a veteran guy in terms of a point guard that can help Lonzo along the way and teach him the ropes. He's thrown in and he has to learn game-by-game, and that's hard for a rookie at the point guard position,” Magic said.

What Lonzo does have is one of the greatest point guards in NBA history at his disposal, and one that is fully invested in his success. Johnson plans on breaking down film with his hand-picked franchise guard soon.

“We've had our conversations, and we're going to have a film session together. I was waiting for about 25-to-30 games. After that, we're going to sit down, point guard to point guard, and just hang out. Watch film, and ask him what does he see and I'll tell him what I see, and then how do we correct this or that,” Johnson said.

The Lakers are at the midway point of a four-game road trip, which ends on Thursday in Cleveland. They’ll be off until Monday when the Golden State Warriors visit STAPLES Center, which could present a good opportunity for the two to pow-wow over film.

Beyond that, though, Magic wants to make himself available to Lonzo as a confidant he can turn to. Ball has tremendous expectations to live up to — some of which was generated from the lips of Johnson himself — and Magic wants to help him shoulder some of that as a mentor.

“I'm here for him, and not just basketball. I'm also here just to be a listening ear. I think he needs a guy just to sit and listen to him. Just talk. I've never seen a guy with this type of pressure on him,” Magic said.

How Johnson’s influence on Ball will impact his career is an interesting, intangible, aspect to this that will play out over time. Oh, to be a fly on the wall of their film session.

Man, how lucky is this kid? Sitting down with the #1 guy at what you are trying to become and getting personal coaching to help you improve. Lonzo's best skill is between his ears and I'm sure it will pay dividends.

Great that Magic is going to be doing that for Lonzo. I'd think it would tremendously help.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Fracture wrote:
george w kush wrote:
Lineup in crunch time should be clarkson, kcp, Ingram, randle, Kuzma. Ball should not be playing

total nonsense

So yes, let's have a bunch of dudes in there at crunch time who are turnover prone and make poor decisions with the ball.

Exactly. Disgusting to see a baller like Clarkson sitting on the bench in OT, while a rookie who can't hit a 3, make layups or hit free throws taking his minutes.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
FanOfFour wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Fracture wrote:
george w kush wrote:

total nonsense

Exactly. Disgusting to see a baller like Clarkson sitting on the bench in OT, while a rookie who can't hit a 3, make layups or hit free throws taking his minutes.

jC was getting burned on switches. Zos size helps. Also Zo was playing well this game and deserved to finish.
kobeslaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo plays OK on the road.

12 games on the road(exclude the road game vs LAC), he's average about 11.6pts, 6.9reb, 7.3ast, 1.6stl, 1.1blk, FG39.3%, 3PT36.2%, FT40%.

The free-throw is really bad, but other than that, it's pretty solid performance for a kid on the road.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Confidence. It's such a huge factor in almost every aspect of life. I really believe that Zo's shooting struggles have been mostly confidence issues.That third quarter stretch where Zo was on fire showed the flashes of swagger and confidence he had at UCLA.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Happy to see him step up in the big stage. Need to learn from this.

It was great to see him really get it going for a while. He looked like the confident Lonzo we saw at UCLA during the 3rd qtr. Hopefully that will give him a confidence boost.

He's had three nice games in a row. Just need to see him be aggressive more consistently throughout games and from game to game, but he's moving in the in the right direction.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Unbelievable defense from a rookie guard. His offense is coming around. Good things happen when he's aggressive, make or miss.

I'm encouraged. Over the last few games, he has shown consistent effort and has (mostly) stayed engaged on both ends of the floor. That's not as fun as a occasional triple double, but it is more important in my opinion.

Agreed. He needs to keep pushing the pace and attacking the last 3 games.
When he's engaged and keeping defenses honest he's a completely different player.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21753248/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-sees-parallels-rookie-year-los-angeles-lakers-lonzo-ball

"So, can I draw any parallel to my experience? I mean, of course. I guess when you're drafted to a franchise, they want you to kind of be the savior. And it takes a while. I mean, listen, man. This guy is 20-something games into his pro career. S--- doesn't happen (that fast). Here it goes again, it goes back to my instant oatmeal (quote). Everybody wants it right away. Can he play ball? Absolutely. The kid can play ball. Do guys want to play with him? Absolutely, because it's a guy who is not about him. It's about the success of the team. And he gives the ball up and he passes the ball and there's energy behind the ball."

Welcome to LA LeBron.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject:

This kid's got them Iguodala hands. 3 years down the line, playoff game, opponent racing in the open court at a back-pedaling Lonzo, watch Zo get the clean strip off his leg.
LB2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21753248/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-sees-parallels-rookie-year-los-angeles-lakers-lonzo-ball

"So, can I draw any parallel to my experience? I mean, of course. I guess when you're drafted to a franchise, they want you to kind of be the savior. And it takes a while. I mean, listen, man. This guy is 20-something games into his pro career. S--- doesn't happen (that fast). Here it goes again, it goes back to my instant oatmeal (quote). Everybody wants it right away. Can he play ball? Absolutely. The kid can play ball. Do guys want to play with him? Absolutely, because it's a guy who is not about him. It's about the success of the team. And he gives the ball up and he passes the ball and there's energy behind the ball."

Welcome to LA LeBron.

f*** ya
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

Welcome to LA LeBron.

Clearly someone has been watching and admiring that style of play and approach...

I want LeBron so badly on this team.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Great game from Zo IMO. I don't see why he couldn't keep this up.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

Welcome to LA LeBron.

Lebron would be such a great mentor to Lonzo

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Welcome to LA LeBron.

Between LeBron and Magic, Lonzo would be groomed to be a monster...
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Welcome to LA LeBron.

Mentor him on how to be 270 pounds?
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject:

Lonzo with bronze and pg 13. Would average 15 ast per game.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Welcome to LA LeBron.

Between LeBron and Magic, Lonzo would be groomed to be a monster...

Can you imagine? You would have to go out of your way to fail with that supporting cast.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Andre2K wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Welcome to LA LeBron.

Mentor him on how to be 270 pounds?

What's your point?

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject:

His TS% is inching towards 40%
lol

BPM is almost positive, which is more impressive and actually accounts for his defense. Kid is damn good for a rookie. But that 3 ball needs to get in order, of course.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 769, 770, 771 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 770 of 1688
Jump to: