2018 LA Angels Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: 2018 LA Angels Thread

Ok they really are from Anaheim but any other fans??

Thought I would make a thread since they signed Ohtani today!!!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I remember last years thread....I don't think it got past 1 or 2 pages....funny considering a lot of Dodger fans like me posted in there as well.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Ya unfortunately I don't see this getting even that far. There might be 1 or 2 others fans. Oh well.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject:

The Angels, despite actually being on TV and having one of the greatest players in the game in Mike Trout, just have too many holes to be considered a title threat... at least for now. Getting Maitan and of course Ohtani will help narrow the gap a bit. And I'm just gonna assume that MLB will find nothing wrong with the courtship of Ohtani in their investigation. Still, they have a lot of holes in their lineup and almost nothing in terms of minor league talent. I think once they start moving into serious contender status you'll start to see more interest. It's hard not to like watching a lineup with Trout, Simmons, Ohtani, Pujols, and Upton.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject:

Still not getting past Houston. As a guy living in OC, still care about the Dodgers more.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

I am an angels fan. A bigger Dodger fan but also an Angels fan. I’m super excited about Otahni.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I remember last years thread....I don't think it got past 1 or 2 pages....funny considering a lot of Dodger fans like me posted in there as well.
\

I agree. Though I consider the Angels as my 1B team from their Disney days. Unfortunately, the main issue still remains. They don't have any dependable starters. The main ace is Garrett Richards who can't stay healthy. They have a decent bullpen. They need infielders as well outside of Simmons. They need 2B and 3B. Decent ERA for the year but you can't keep relying on the scrap heap to keep scrapping innings for you especially if postseason is the goal. Still, Trout, Otani, Simmons, Pujols, and Upton is a pretty potent base to build off of.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Ohtani himself projects as an ace. His pitches grade at fastball (80) splitter (70) slider (70) curve (50) and change up (NR). The scale is 30-80 with 50 being an average major league starter.

Apparently teams had to agree to let him hit as well if they wanted to be seriously considered. I imagine his focus is pitching and then he DH's 2-3 times a week to get some at bats.

The biggest thing is the production he offers vs. cost. Fangraphs projects him at 5.2 WAR and he'll be paid 570K. THAT is crazy if anywhere close to true. I believe 1 WAR on the open market is like 6 million/yr.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo'sBalls wrote:
Ohtani himself projects as an ace. His pitches grade at fastball (80) splitter (70) slider (70) curve (50) and change up (NR). The scale is 30-80 with 50 being an average major league starter.

Apparently teams had to agree to let him hit as well if they wanted to be seriously considered. I imagine his focus is pitching and then he DH's 2-3 times a week to get some at bats.

The biggest thing is the production he offers vs. cost. Fangraphs projects him at 5.2 WAR and he'll be paid 570K. THAT is crazy if anywhere close to true. I believe 1 WAR on the open market is like 6 million/yr.

Considering the state of the Angels starters, it wouldn't take much to be an ace. Angels were a good bet because they have a manager that DGAF, holes in hitting and pitching, and Moreno once in a while will loosen the purse-strings.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Lonzo'sBalls wrote:

Considering the state of the Angels starters, it wouldn't take much to be an ace. Angels were a good bet because they have a manager that DGAF, holes in hitting and pitching, and Moreno once in a while will loosen the purse-strings.

And to be honest, he doesn't need to do much. The Angels are 40mil under the luxury tax. They could still add a Moustakas and a Neil Walker or Cozart and remain under that comfortably.

Winter Meetings next week should be fun. Especially if Stanton finally goes to the Dodgers, it will open the flood gates to more deals.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Ohtani gets all the benefits of playing in a big market without the criticism that follows it since he plays in the OC.
Same TV stations that are covering the Dodgers in LA will cover the Angels.
Instead of the Dodgers channel their games are on Fox Sports West I believe.
Large Japanese population in LA should he miss the food and culture from back home.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Angels fan here.

Today was a win!

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject:

I can't call the Angels my 1B team just because I love the Dodgers so much more, but they are definitely a team I still like and are my #2 team. Let's not kid ourselves: this is a massive get for the Angels. And while they aren't as good as the Astros, you can win a World Series just by getting to the postseason.

If Ohtani is the real deal as a pitcher, it will go a long way towards helping the Angels contend. Obviously, they need Richards to stay healthy, but if he can, that's a pretty good 1-2 punch atop that rotation. The issue for the Halos is that literally none of their 8 potential starting pitchers can be counted on to pitch a 200-inning season, even if they all maintained their health somehow. (Their guys are Richards, Ohtani, Shoemaker, Heaney, Skaggs, JC Ramirez, Bridwill, and Tropeano.) You can't ask any of those guys for that much of a massive innings jump, as none of those guys pitched workhorse innings a season ago. Heaney and Skaggs will be in their first full seasons back from TJ surgery, and ditto Tropeano. Ohtani hardly pitched this past season due to injury, and Ramirez and Shoemaker will be coming off injuries that cut their seasons short. And Bridwill, well, he's just a journeyman, let's be honest; he was lucky to do what he did on pure smoke and mirrors. Perhaps the Angels will liberally use the DL like the Dodgers did so that they keep shuffling starting pitchers in and out of the rotation, and they may also explore a 6-man rotation so that it keeps everyone's innings down and it would also allow Ohtani to stay on a similar pitching schedule to what he was on in Japan.

Switching to the lineup, they have a gaping hole at 2B, but other than that, you can argue they are pretty set. It seems like Pujols is going to play quite a bit of first base, allowing Ohtani to DH at least 2-3 times a week. They can play Valbuena at 3B, although they still need a righty hitting platoon partner for him there. And you can occasionally let Ohtani play a corner outfield spot and let Upton or Calhoun have a DH day if they need it. But yeah, 2B is a spot they absolutely have to fill. A trade for the expiring Ian Kinsler could be a possibility (the Tigers are in all-out rebuild mode and he was said to be OK for waiving his no-trade clause for the Dodgers last season), and I suppose signing a free agent like Todd Walker makes some sense.

Since Ohtani came so cheaply, there could still be money in the budget to go after a meaningful bullpen piece, too. Not necessarily a closer--I think Blake Parker can do that job well--but someone like Jake McGee or even, gasp, Brandon Morrow would help them a lot.

Between Ohtani and helping the farm system with Maitan (whose star has dimmed slightly after a not-so-inspiring pro debut but, still, it's a good get), the Angels are much better than they were a few days ago.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Dominator wrote:
Added Kinsler today

Yeah apparently the deal is not final, but it seems like they are going to get him. Would be another nice addition.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Buster Olney‏
Verified account

@Buster_ESPN
2m
2 minutes ago

More
Although Tigers-Angels Kinsler deal hasn't crossed the finish line yet, Mets aren't currently engaged on Kinsler.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Kinsler is an Angel...

Ken Rosenthal‏
Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
Following
Following @Ken_Rosenthal

More
Source: Kinsler to #Angels official.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Kinsler is an Angel...

Ken Rosenthal‏
Verified account

@Ken_Rosenthal
Following
Following @Ken_Rosenthal

More
Source: Kinsler to #Angels official.

Good get for them. Fills a spot of need. Numbers went down in 2017 but that could be due to his surrounding cast down the stretch. They look set defensively in the middle with Maldonado-Simmons-Kinsler-Trout. They need one ace pitcher though as Ohtani is an unknown and Garrett Richards would've been the quintessential ex-A's pitcher.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

^
There's no way they can afford a legit ace, either in free agency or in the trade market (they just don't have the high-end prospects to go out and get someone like Chris Archer), so they just have to hope that Richards and Ohtani can get them, say, 50 starts between them. And then that they can just piece the rest together with their bevy of question-mark starters.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Great get for the prospects that went out.

Angels got a -0.6 WAR from 2b last year. Kinsler in a down year put up a 2.4

Apparently they are close on a third basemen, all of twitter thinks its Chase Headley. Lot of people complaining but his .350 OBP last year will play up in Anaheim considering the crap they have been cycling at 2b and 3b. Hopefully they sneak in on Machado who is rumored as being shopped by the O's. They would have a comparable to better lineup than the Astros at that point.

As for pitching, they have been linked to CC Sabathia and Tony Watson. It was all but confirmed at the Ohtani press conference (which I was lucky enough to attend) they will be going with a 6-man rotation this year. You sign a work horse like CC and that looks like:

Richards
Ohtani
Sabathia
Heaney
Skaggs
Shoemaker

...isn't terrible at all.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Not a real fan of em per say. And claiming LA is lame as heck. But I'm super intrigued by Ohtani and will follow his story as it develops.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
There's no way they can afford a legit ace, either in free agency or in the trade market (they just don't have the high-end prospects to go out and get someone like Chris Archer), so they just have to hope that Richards and Ohtani can get them, say, 50 starts between them. And then that they can just piece the rest together with their bevy of question-mark starters.

Stranger things have happened. I think most people early on didn't really peg Ohtani to choose the Angels.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Not a real fan of em per say. And claiming LA is lame as heck. But I'm super intrigued by Ohtani and will follow his story as it develops.

Kinda funny that they have more history in LA than the Chargers. Angels played at Wrigley Field (the LA version) in 1961, then moved to Dodger Stadium from 1962-1965 and finally moved down to Anaheim when the stadium was finished. Yeah, I understand Arte Moreno chose to stick Los Angeles in front of the Angels name because he wanted to get the benefits of the team being located in the greater LA metro area.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Kinda funny that they have more history in LA than the Chargers. Angels played at Wrigley Field (the LA version) in 1961, then moved to Dodger Stadium from 1962-1965 and finally moved down to Anaheim when the stadium was finished. Yeah, I understand Arte Moreno chose to stick Los Angeles in front of the Angels name because he wanted to get the benefits of the team being located in the greater LA metro area.

Having the most recent WS win probably helps too.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:

Having the most recent WS win probably helps too.

There are teams that play a similar distance from their respective towns. Niners, Cowboys, Pats, Rangers, Pistons, etc.
Lonzo'sBalls
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

But I agree it is completely silly and totally marketing driven. Its fine though, seems only some hardcore Dodgers fans are the ones that really care (no offense).
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to: