Houston Rockets chances against the Warriors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Houston Rockets chances against the Warriors

The Rockets are destroying teams, are still undefeated with Chris Paul, and recently there have been articles written about their much improved defense with statements like these:

Quote:
Entering Thursday’s game with the red-hot Utah Jazz, Houston’s defense is surrendering just 100.9 points per 100 possessions, fifth-best in the league. That defensive rating is slightly better than the Warriors’ and represents a night-and-day difference from last season, when the Rockets ranked just 18th, allowing 106.4 points per 100 possessions.

last season, when the Rockets ranked dead last in rim protection and allowed opponents to shoot 67 percent from inside the restricted area. (This season, Houston has leaped into the top half of the league on that defensive metric.)

With smarter, more switchable defenders on the floor, the Rockets have also taken away many of the corner 3-point opportunities that were there for opponents in years past. And so far this season, Houston ranks among the NBA’s top 10 in limiting those attempts. That’s a big shift from last year, when the Rockets were among the 10 worst teams at stifling 3-point attempts from the corner

Houston has become the NBA’s best defensive-rebounding club, nabbing 81.4 percent of opponent’s misses. Limiting second chances is key for the Rockets, who ranked 21st last year and were last in 2015-16, Dwight Howard’s final season with the team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethirtyeight.com/features/all-of-a-sudden-the-rockets-are-dominant-on-defense-too/amp/

Quote:
In beating Utah 112-101 on Thursday, the Rockets had won their eighth straight game, leading by at least 20 points in each.

They are the NBA's only team in the top five in offensive and defensive rating,

After initial missteps with the schemes, with breakdowns on switches common in the early going, since the start of November (and a 14-1 run) the 19-4 Rockets have been the second-ranked defensive team, pairing well with their top-ranked offense over that stretch. In the eight games since Paul's return, they have been the NBA's top defense.

The first step to remaking the Rockets' defense was the most obvious. Get good defensive players and they are likely to play well defensively. P.J. Tucker, Luc Mbah a Moute and Paul have predictably excelled. But the Rockets also no longer cover up for Anderson and Harden, getting strong defensive play from both.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/rockets/amp/High-scoring-Rockets-taking-greater-pride-in-12417796.php

Does this team have enough to beat the Warriors?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Houston Rockets chances against the Warriors

Steve007 wrote:

No. The talent disparity with Durant is too large.

Our D has looked better recently but we haven't played a great team during that stretch. I like what PJ and Luc bring defensively, assuming they can keep hitting 3's at a decent clip. At least the team has players really committed to it this season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject:

Sure, the Rockets have a chance of beating the Warriors. I would give the edge to the Warriors, but a lot will depend on the health of the two teams.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject:

Warriors still presumptive favorite over everybody but a fun question would be are Rockets or Celtics favored over Cavs in a 7 games series
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject:

I want to see what the Cavs looks like with IT in the lineup.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Regular season matchups doesn't matter...its what the Warriors roll out for the playoffs and I'm afraid they will just overwhelm the Rockets with their talent disparity. Warriors learned the hard way you don't show all your cards in the regular season.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Regular season matchups doesn't matter...its what the Warriors roll out for the playoffs and I'm afraid they will just overwhelm the Rockets with their talent disparity. Warriors learned the hard way you don't show all your cards in the regular season.

It's hard to imagine the Warriors not making it out of the west.

The Cavs are the puzzle because they have been playing so well without Thompson and (especially) Thomas. Will be interesting to see if Thomas improves or hurts the team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject:

depends on health. They're within striking distance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject:

IMO all Antoni coached teams that have done well in the regular season flame out in the playoffs. That outscore your opponent works well over 82 games, but his team's lack of attention to defensive detail has always been fatal to his teams in the post season.

I know the Rox are playing much better D this season but it will have to be proven in the postseason.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

They have a chance, a real chance. Especially if CP3 hasn't lost a step, and it seems like he's getting his groove back. Tonight Harden when 8-22, only 21 points. But CP3 got 31 pts, 11 dimes, 7 boards. That's what they've been missing. It has been live by Harden and die by Harden, but that isn't the case this year. CP3 doing exactly what they'd hope.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Houston Rockets chances against the Warriors

Dreamshake wrote:
Steve007 wrote:

No. The talent disparity with Durant is too large.

Our D has looked better recently but we haven't played a great team during that stretch. I like what PJ and Luc bring defensively, assuming they can keep hitting 3's at a decent clip. At least the team has players really committed to it this season.

I thought you would post in the thread but expected you to be more optimistic than that. Interesting.

The Rockets should get better as they still are getting used to playing with Paul. In the past he has played very well against the Warriors.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Sure, the Rockets have a chance of beating the Warriors. I would give the edge to the Warriors, but a lot will depend on the health of the two teams.

That and when the talent is that close, it really comes down to coaching. We'll see how the Rockets do come playoff time. I'm surprised at how well Paul and Harden have meshed so far. Paul has really taken a backseat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject:

I actually think the Rockets do have a decent shot at the Warriors this year. Warriors havent played great and the Rockets are playing defense now.

Whether it can translate to the playoffs remains to be seen, but the Rox have all the pieces needed to get it done IMO. Anchor in the middle, defense on the wings and not so bad on the perimeter either.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
I want to see what the Cavs looks like with IT in the lineup.

The Cavs are on coast. LeBron has the experience to make the playoffs before they put the pedal to the medal. If they stay healthy don't count them out in the finals. I'm waiting to see what they look like when Isaiah laces um up. It looks like they're not taking any chances by bringing him back to early. They play Boston Jan 3. I hope Thomas is able to play. Isaiah vs Kyrie gotta be a show me game.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject:

CP3 really getting his groove back. Rockets will make things interesting.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject:

If Golden State has everyone healthy, I probably give the Rockets a 20-25% chance to beat them in a 7-game series, especially if they had home court advantage. But the Warriors have played so much basketball over the past 3 seasons, and if one of their big 4 got hurt, I think that would make things very interesting. Again, especially if they had home court advantage.

Of course, it's probably more likely that CP3 gets hurt than one of the Warriors' big 4, though.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject:

I saw CP3 make moves last night that took me back to Chris Paul days of old. He was breaking ankles. He really looked comfortable. Paul and Harden have to be considered in the best back court conversation. Something I see, they seem to really like one another. That's a definite plus.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject:

Harden is probably the MVP this year, although LeBron is deserving as well.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Harden is probably the MVP this year, although LeBron is deserving as well.

LeBron has to be considered yearly. He's always in the finals, 7 straight. He's the reason some of his teams got to the finals.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I saw CP3 make moves last night that took me back to Chris Paul days of old. He was breaking ankles. He really looked comfortable. Paul and Harden have to be considered in the best back court conversation. Something I see, they seem to really like one another. That's a definite plus.

Probably feels good to be embraced by the city....lets face it he went to Astros game and got full support....meanwhile, when he was a Clipper he got booed when he showed up for the Dodger games...
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject:

The succesful pairing of CP3 and Harden is really bringing back some salt over the veto...
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject:

Rockets are 14-0 when Paul plays. 10-4 in the games he missed.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
The succesful pairing of CP3 and Harden is really bringing back some salt over the veto...

I was thinking the same thing. If he's this good alongside CP3 imagine Kobe....

I don't see how some are saying the talent disparity between us and GS is close. We have Harden/CP3. They have Steph/Klay. No other player is comparable to Durant. Or Green. Then they have Iggy, Livingston, West, etc....
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject:

If they magically get Lebron I have no doubt there will be a 7 game battle in the conference finals.....
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
If they magically get Lebron I have no doubt there will be a 7 game battle in the conference finals.....

There could be a 7 game battle this year without Lebron. I'm not impressed with Curry on the biggest stage, when there's pressure, so the Rockets have a chance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: