Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Portland vying for number one.

How? Spent a ton of time in Portland over the past 2 years. What am I missing?

Everything apparently. Just a ton if great little joints and chefs making cool stuff without the fanfare. Coffee, beer, wine (the best pinot noir outside of france), and food is all local and fantastic.

Oregon is an outdoor adventure they have everything ocean rivers lakes mountains and forests. I haven't been to Portland yet but its something I plan on
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
On the food subject, I've been involved in many discussions over the years about which cities have great food. LA rarely comes up in the discussions.

You've been talking to the ignorant. LA has a great food scene. Perhaps not #1, but near the top.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
On the food subject, I've been involved in many discussions over the years about which cities have great food. LA rarely comes up in the discussions.

You've been talking to the ignorant. LA has a great food scene. Perhaps not #1, but near the top. Certainly better than New Orleans and...Austin?!

Eh. I've been to LA a number of times. I don't recall anything remarkable about the food, but then I have little use for the so-called nouveau California cuisine. I don't recall anything that you can't get in any large city. For that matter, you can get the nouveau California cuisine in any large city these days.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject:

NY takes the cake. No other city has been attacked by foreign terrorists more than the Big Apple.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You've been talking to the ignorant. LA has a great food scene. Perhaps not #1, but near the top. Certainly better than New Orleans and...Austin?!

Eh. I've been to LA a number of times. I don't recall anything remarkable about the food, but then I have little use for the so-called nouveau California cuisine. I don't recall anything that you can't get in any large city. For that matter, you can get the nouveau California cuisine in any large city these days.

Nouveau California isn't even what makes it great, (I don't like that style of food, myself). It's the quick and dirty ethnic selection that gives us separation: Tacos, pho, and KBBQ, among others.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject:

^^^^

Which is stuff that you can find in any big city. What I take from your post is that you think selection is what matters. As discussed in my prior post, that’s just a function of the size and wealth of a city. Bigger and wealthier cities have more room for niche cuisines, but not that many people care about whether a city has a Sri Lankan taco bar.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Which is stuff that you can find in any big city. What I take from your post is that you think selection is what matters. As discussed in my prior post, that’s just a function of the size and wealth of a city. Bigger and wealthier cities have more room for niche cuisines, but not that many people care about whether a city has a Sri Lankan taco bar.

Selection does matter but the quality of the selection is what matters most. KBBQ, pho, and tacos here are superior to those styles of food in other cities due to the concentrated ethnic communities here, and their power to more accurately design dishes according to taste in their motherlands. Yes, you can get tacos in Detroit and Boston, but their idea of a taco is, too often, something that has cheddar cheese on it.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Selection does matter but the quality of the selection is what matters most. KBBQ, pho, and tacos here are superior to those styles of food in other cities due to the concentrated ethnic communities here, and their power to more accurately design dishes according to taste in their motherlands. Yes, you can get tacos in Detroit and Boston, but their idea of a taco is, too often, something that has cheddar cheese on it.

Agree. To say that you can get these things in any of the big cities is missing the point. I've had KBBQ in NY, Philly, Chicago, Orange County, Portland, Arizona, and northern CA. Koreatown wins hands down. Same with Pho in Westminster, Chinese food in LA, and Mexican food in LA/OC/SD. I've mentioned that Southern CA probably isn't even top 5 when it comes to fine dining but is arguably tops when it comes to authentic hole-in-the-wall/mom&pop joints.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Agree. To say that you can get these things in any of the big cities is missing the point. I've had KBBQ in NY, Philly, Chicago, Orange County, Portland, Arizona, and northern CA. Koreatown wins hands down. Same with Pho in Westminster, Chinese food in LA, and Mexican food in LA/OC/SD. I've mentioned that Southern CA probably isn't even top 5 when it comes to fine dining but is arguably tops when it comes to authentic hole-in-the-wall/mom&pop joints.

With you on Korean bbq, but I've had pho in westminster, and while it is awesome (my favorite food), I've had just as good elsewhere. Same with Mexican food and Chinese. You think your holes in the wall are better because they are yours.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I haven't lived in SoCal for 15 years and now consider the Bay Area home. And I lived in Philly, NY, and Chicago for extended periods of time and called them home at some point so I wouldn't ever consider the SoCal joints "my" holes in the wall. That especially applies to Chinese (Cantonese) as I've only eaten in SGV/MPK a handful of times compared to several times in the other cities so it's difficult to say that it's out of any particular attachment.

Any Vietnamese from anywhere will tell you the Vietnamese food in Westminster is vastly superior to anywhere else in the country. It's something you won't appreciate unless if you have relatives routinely visiting from afar.

Mexican food in Chicago and Philly is mostly Americanized and has fallen victim to the "fusion" trend. The Pilsen neighborhood in Chicago is worth mentioning but still falls short. Brooklyn (at least during the time I was there) is a joke. I want to punch the person who came with the idea of Chexican restaurants. Does that concept even last a few weeks in SoCal?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I haven't lived in SoCal for 15 years and now consider the Bay Area home. And I lived in Philly, NY, and Chicago for extended periods of time and called them home at some point so I wouldn't ever consider the SoCal joints "my" holes in the wall. That especially applies to Chinese (Cantonese) as I've only eaten in SGV/MPK a handful of times compared to several times in the other cities so it's difficult to say that it's out of any particular attachment.

Any Vietnamese from anywhere will tell you the Vietnamese food in Westminster is vastly superior to anywhere else in the country. It's something you won't appreciate unless if you have relatives routinely visiting from afar.

Mexican food in Chicago and Philly is mostly Americanized and has fallen victim to the "fusion" trend. The Pilsen neighborhood in Chicago is worth mentioning but still falls short. Brooklyn (at least during the time I was there) is a joke. I want to punch the person who came with the idea of Chexican restaurants. Does that concept even last a few weeks in SoCal?

What makes you or anyone believe that westminster has cornered authentic Vietnamese food vs Vietnamese enclaves or individuals in many places? If you mean there's more of it AND it is top shelf, sure, but all the good Vietnamese cooks didn't get locked in Orange county. Truth be told, best pho I ever had was in a small town in central Washington state. Probably the only asian people within a hundred miles worked at that joint. The broth was nothing short of divine. And I used to raid westminster regularly when I visited my costco client in garden grove four times a year.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject:

I think LA def leads the Asian-Mexican fusion food, you can find anything asian burritoed and anything mexican sushied better than anywhere else... for now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject:

Really? LA is the leader in Mexican sushi? There should be a trophy for that, I guess.

Anyway, bigger cities have more room for niches. I know there has been an ongoing debate (among people who care about such things) about Orange County vs. Houston when it comes to pho, because there are big Vietnamese communities both places. Someone told me that the cuisine is a little different because there is a distinction between who came from North Vietnam and who came from South Vietnam. I don't really care, because I don't like pho. Most people in the country wouldn't even know what you're talking about.

Korean barbecue? Oh, yeah, they tried to bring that stuff here, and I think there are still a few restaurants that serve it. Maybe it does better in places that don't have an indigenous barbecue culture. I don't think it made much of an impression anywhere else.

Tacos? Are you kidding me? LA is the taco capital now? Good heavens. LA might be the leader in Asian burritos and Mexican sushi, but not tacos.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject:

Korean bbq and southern bbq are about as competitive as chowder and gumbo. Technically both soups, but reasonably sure enjoying a sublime chowder doesn't get you thrown out of new orleans or mean you're demeaning gumbo. You'd have to be pretty picayune to consider Korean bbq as a threat to southern bbq.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Really? LA is the leader in Mexican sushi? There should be a trophy for that, I guess.

Anyway, bigger cities have more room for niches. I know there has been an ongoing debate (among people who care about such things) about Orange County vs. Houston when it comes to pho, because there are big Vietnamese communities both places. Someone told me that the cuisine is a little different because there is a distinction between who came from North Vietnam and who came from South Vietnam. I don't really care, because I don't like pho. Most people in the country wouldn't even know what you're talking about.

Korean barbecue? Oh, yeah, they tried to bring that stuff here, and I think there are still a few restaurants that serve it. Maybe it does better in places that don't have an indigenous barbecue culture. I don't think it made much of an impression anywhere else.

Tacos? Are you kidding me? LA is the taco capital now? Good heavens. LA might be the leader in Asian burritos and Mexican sushi, but not tacos.

lol, ur a tough customer.
Korean BBQ and Southern BBQ are 2 totally different cuisine. One is slow and low the other one is rapid high heat.
Asian fusion food, I guess it can be a fad but I live in east coast and it's actually not that many out here compared to LA
Pho is pretty big in NYC metro area, along with Ramen are everywhere

I would give LA props for it's Asian and Mexican cuisine scene, there's def diverse options
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

>mocks LA for their fusion restaurants
>cites New Orleans as a great food city
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

You have made a fantastic argument for LA's food scene.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sure, if that’s what you value. As I’ve explained, larger cities have a greater capacity to support niche cuisines. But most people don’t give a flip about Mexican sushi or Moroccan tacos. When we discuss the cities with great food, I don’t hear people talking about novelties.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
gng930 wrote:

What makes you or anyone believe that westminster has cornered authentic Vietnamese food vs Vietnamese enclaves or individuals in many places? If you mean there's more of it AND it is top shelf, sure, but all the good Vietnamese cooks didn't get locked in Orange county. Truth be told, best pho I ever had was in a small town in central Washington state. Probably the only asian people within a hundred miles worked at that joint. The broth was nothing short of divine. And I used to raid westminster regularly when I visited my costco client in garden grove four times a year.

"Little Saigon" in the OC is big enough to sprawl into 4 cities (Garden Grove, Westminster, Santa Ana and Anaheim) making them 4 of the largest 8 Vietnamese populations in the US separately. There are many first generation immigrants who speak the language and know the food. The restaurants have access to laborers skilled in the traditional ways handed down from the time of the French Protectorate (thus the wonderful broth derived from the French pot-au-feu). They have access to fresh SEA ingredients difficult to obtain elsewhere. And customers. Lot's of customers willing to pay for such deliciousness and who know the difference between Northern pho with simple ingredients, Southern pho, with the herbs, aromatics and sauces showing it's French influence, and now the 'Americanized" version incorporating hoisin, Saracha and lime juice. The dish itself is a melting pot of diverse culture, evolving to incorporate local ingredients as it spreads in popularity. That dynamic, ever changing aspect is really the key to the food scene. It is as easy to mock Mexican sushi today as it was to mock bbq chicken on pizza 35 years ago, but it is the evolution of food and cooking that moves cuisine from preparing a really good dish of food to inventing something completely new and wonderful and fresh and locally sourced and delicious and vibrant.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
gng930 wrote:

"Little Saigon" in the OC is big enough to sprawl into 4 cities (Garden Grove, Westminster, Santa Ana and Anaheim) making them 4 of the largest 8 Vietnamese populations in the US separately. There are many first generation immigrants who speak the language and know the food. The restaurants have access to laborers skilled in the traditional ways handed down from the time of the French Protectorate (thus the wonderful broth derived from the French pot-au-feu). They have access to fresh SEA ingredients difficult to obtain elsewhere. And customers. Lot's of customers willing to pay for such deliciousness and who know the difference between Northern pho with simple ingredients, Southern pho, with the herbs, aromatics and sauces showing it's French influence, and now the 'Americanized" version incorporating hoisin, Saracha and lime juice. The dish itself is a melting pot of diverse culture, evolving to incorporate local ingredients as it spreads in popularity. That dynamic, ever changing aspect is really the key to the food scene. It is as easy to mock Mexican sushi today as it was to mock bbq chicken on pizza 35 years ago, but it is the evolution of food and cooking that moves cuisine from preparing a really good dish of food to inventing something completely new and wonderful and fresh and locally sourced and delicious and vibrant.

That's how you sell your 'pho'!!! One of these restaurant should put this post reply on the wall
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Sure, if that’s what you value. As I’ve explained, larger cities have a greater capacity to support niche cuisines. But most people don’t give a flip about Mexican sushi or Moroccan tacos. When we discuss the cities with great food, I don’t hear people talking about novelties.

Ok, I'll bite.
What DO you and your friends value in your discussion of great food cities?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

New Orleans is a great food city, my favorite one.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Ok, I'll bite.
What DO you and your friends value in your discussion of great food cities?

Some combination of quality, uniqueness, and atmosphere, if those are the right words. For example, New Orleans has a unique vibe. While you can find most of the components elsewhere, there is a synergy in New Orleans, from the tourist traps to the places where the locals go. Memphis has its dry rubbed ribs, the Austin area has its smokehouses, Las Vegas is basically a gigantic smorgasbord with anything you can imagine, San Francisco is known for Chinese food. I hear other cities come up from time to time. LA? Not so much.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Korean bbq and southern bbq are about as competitive as chowder and gumbo. Technically both soups, but reasonably sure enjoying a sublime chowder doesn't get you thrown out of new orleans or mean you're demeaning gumbo. You'd have to be pretty picayune to consider Korean bbq as a threat to southern bbq.

A threat? No. I'm saying that it hasn't caught on in the south and the border states because we have our indigenous barbecue cuisines. You can find it here, but it hasn't caught on. Same with chowder, by the way. You can find chowder here, but gumbo is a lot more common.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
ocho wrote:

New Orleans is a great food city, my favorite one.

Oh I agree.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: