2018 Rock and Roll Inductees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: 2018 Rock and Roll Inductees

Bon Jovi
The Cars
The Moody Blues
Nina Simone
And my personal favorite, Dire Straits
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:

The Hall has been getting around to inducting a lot of older bands that it snubbed for a long time. ELO and Yes went in last year. I'm a Moody Blues fan, but I could understand them being passed over. They were sort of a niche band, despite having a lot of big hits over the years. But The Cars and Dire Straits? How did it take so long for them to get in?

I still don't understand why Iron Maiden and Judas Priest keep getting passed over. I'm not a big fan of either band, but that's beside the point. I'm not a big fan of Bon Jovi, either.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

ThE Cars and Dire Straits are more than deserving. Bon Jovi is like Reggie Miller, good stats, had his moments and fans, but not HOF material.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Still no Judas Priest, Maiden, or Megadeth. Stopped caring about who gets inducted a long time ago.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Bon Jovi is one of the most successful bands in history. I get that some might not like them, but they are an obvious choice. It's kind of like when a pitcher gets to 300 wins...you know they are going to get in LOL. They've sold over 130 million records and have a whole bunch of hits.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Bon Jovi, like Reggie Miller, is going into the HoF.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I still don't understand why Iron Maiden and Judas Priest keep getting passed over. I'm not a big fan of either band, but that's beside the point. I'm not a big fan of Bon Jovi, either.

It's asinine, they're worse than the NBA HOF by far. Both of them should've been in there already and everyone knows it. And before you're tempted to think, maybe it's a case of them favoring bands with bigger sales or more widespread/mainstream popularity, bear in mind that they finally inducted Van Halen at around the 34-35 year mark from inception (1972/3ish to 2007). I remember in 05/06 a well-known rock/metal critic named Eddie Trunk saying he wanted to vomit all over the table in front of him to think that not even THEY were in yet, just based on sales alone if absolutely nothing else. You could say the same for Bon Jovi, too, who I don't like either, but hell. They had that song "Runaway" out in 1983, so they have at least 34 years in.

Glad The Cars finally getting their due.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

The Rock Hall of Fame was known for having a heavy metal bias, but I thought they got over it. I am not a heavy metal fan, but even I know that Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were important bands.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Congrats to Mark Knopfler, he's an amazing guitarist.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Part of the issue is how many slots there are, and some bands just fall between the cracks. There's always weird confluences at work. Some head scratchers in and some no brainers wait. Priest and maiden should and will get in at some point. Megadeth has less cachet to work with among the mainstream. Rid Ocasek should be in for hanging on to Paulina Porizkova for 28 years and counting.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Nina Simone is one of my five favorite artists of all time.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Part of the issue is how many slots there are, and some bands just fall between the cracks. There's always weird confluences at work. Some head scratchers in and some no brainers wait. Priest and maiden should and will get in at some point. Megadeth has less cachet to work with among the mainstream. Rid Ocasek should be in for hanging on to Paulina Porizkova for 28 years and counting.

The Cars were one of those late 70s bands who had to move to a more typically early MTV sound at the turn of the decade, but for the most part, they were good at that format as well as the more conventional new wave/FM rock sound they had in the late 70s (even though they had syndrums and keyboards then, too). You're All I've Got Tonight was a nice rocker and they went from that to Shake It Up in only a couple years and from that to Drive and You Might Think in a few more. Maybe because their transition from 70s to 80s felt more seamless, I don't think they sold out to the level that some like others did. Heart is an example who I think Eightified themselves to a disappointing level from songs like Barracuda, but I guess they had ta eat too.

Porizkova was prolly the Cindy Crawford before Cindy Crawford. Makes me wish I had learned guitar instead of old Laker game editing. We all have our special talents...
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
The Rock Hall of Fame was known for having a heavy metal bias, but I thought they got over it. I am not a heavy metal fan, but even I know that Iron Maiden and Judas Priest were important bands.

They are scared Maiden might use up their 25 min stage time by playing Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Seventh Son.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ELO and Yes went in last year. But The Cars and Dire Straits? How did it take so long for them to get in?

ELO and Yes both rocked their performances last year too.

The Cars were my favorite band back in the 80s but I kind of moved away from new wave rock after I left CA. I've been on an 80s music kick lately and have been enjoying their music again. I can't wait to see the reunion. It's just a shame it will be without Benjamin Orr who passed in 2000. He sang lead on some of my favorite Cars tunes (Moving in Stereo, Candy-O, Just What I needed, Let's Go).
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

Disappointed the Zombies didn't make it. They were as influential as anyone during the British invasion and Rod Argent is an amazing keyboardist.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ELO and Yes went in last year. But The Cars and Dire Straits? How did it take so long for them to get in?

ELO and Yes both rocked their performances last year too.

The Cars were my favorite band back in the 80s but I kind of moved away from new wave rock after I left CA. I've been on an 80s music kick lately and have been enjoying their music again. I can't wait to see the reunion. It's just a shame it will be without Benjamin Orr who passed in 2000. He sang lead on some of my favorite Cars tunes (Moving in Stereo, Candy-O, Just What I needed, Let's Go).

I enjoyed the album they released a few years ago, but it just wasn’t the same with Orr. Add Drive to the list of great Orr songs.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:

Agree.

It is kind of weird how he lowered his profile over the years after being so big early in the MTV era.

It is almost like he retired somewhere along the way, but I saw Dire Straits in their prime around 1986 and he was fantastic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

She is the one I am not familiar with, I need to educate myself before the inductions are broadcast.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Agree.

It is kind of weird how he lowered his profile over the years after being so big early in the MTV era.

It is almost like he retired somewhere along the way, but I saw Dire Straits in their prime around 1986 and he was fantastic.

I was proud of KTLA when they did a segment on the inductees, instead of playing a commercially popular DS song, they played Romeo and Juliet, someone there must be a fan.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Agree.

His recent "An Evening with Mark Knopfler" concerts were really great. Should be stuff on Youtube.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject:

The RRHOF is run by the same rock inteligentsia jocks that run Rolling Stone magazine (Jan Wenner, David Fricke, etc.). That's why bands like Rush, Yes, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Journey, Genesis, Kiss, Maiden, Priest, Van Halen, King Crimson, etc have been blatantly disrespected over the years. That faction of the rock press openly despises all of those artists. It's a shame it took Rush, Van Halen and Sabbath eons to get inducted. It's also a shame that bands like Yes and Deep Purple had key members (Jon Lord and Chris Squire) posthumously inducted because it took the Hall so damn long to put them in. It's great that in today's age of social media fans can voice their frustrations and expose the organization's hypocrisy. Which has led to most of the aforementioned groups finally getting their due. But I think that these blatantly late inductions for these ultimately deserving artists is actually a low key way for RS to give them the finger one last time. (bleep) them. They know nothing about rock and roll and never did.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject:

The Rock Hall of Fame is a joke, it caters to the mainstream top-40 artists, why else would the Moody Blues who best work came in the 1967 - 1972 range are just now being considered?

I have over 3,000 records and CD's and I'll bet less than 100 of them are from artists in the joke that is the Rock Hall of Fame...
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Very happy the Cars finally made it, my favorite 80's new wave band
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject:

Wow that is awful. When Bon Jovi makes it it's time to close up shop.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Very interesting story. Otherworldly talent.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: