Ball Brothers Sign With Lithuanian Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm on the education bus. He pulled his 16 year old from high school, his 19 year old from a 1st rate college. He's removed the many opportunities a education offers. He's limited their chances to succeed by limiting their opportunities.

Often, I find the "education bus" is a joke for college athletes; the guys who have a shot at the pros often have zero intention of graduating and leave as soon as possible. For them, college is nothing more than a basketball trade school.

The trouble here is he is overestimating his kid's pro chances. They are the type of kids who (1) should use college to get a degree or (2) use it as a basketball training ground. But their egos are so big they can't imagine not being first round draft picks.

The NBA should just eliminate the one year out of high school requirement. The NCAA is a racket.

I think they should implement the 3 year after graduation NFL rule.

My opinion is that you should be free to go pro after high school. But if you decide to go the college basketball route and take up a scholarship you should be committed to that school for 3 years like the NFL. That way the players that don't want to go to school can do it and the players that feel like they want to play college basketball won't waste the school's money on a one and done player.

That makes no sense to me The NFL's position is that the physical, mental, and emotional demands of pro football are beyond the capabilities of anyone before they reach a certain age. That's mostly a hypocrisy of wanting a free farm system to develop players.

I don't see the point of a rule that it's OK to join the NBA at after high school or after three years of college but not in-between those two points.

And believe me, the one-and-done players aren't "wasting" the school's money. The school's are financially benefiting from the players. Even beyond that, the NBA shouldn't be concerned about the finances of college.

And that sums up everything wrong about college basketball today. The one and done players have zero intention of even trying to complete their degree. They are just there to do their one year of "time" at the college before they leave and most likely never set foot at that college campus ever again. At least in college football you are required to stay there for 3 years so maybe you will take up a program that will benefit you in the future. Why bother with that farce if your goal is to make money. There should be other options like a stronger G-League which provides a league where potential NBA players can make money and who have zero intention of ever going to college.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Good news is at least we won't have to hear from LaVar for a while when he's overseas with his boys. (Unless an ESPN or FSN correspondent travels with him to Lithuania).

You think that Levar is going with his sons?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm on the education bus. He pulled his 16 year old from high school, his 19 year old from a 1st rate college. He's removed the many opportunities a education offers. He's limited their chances to succeed by limiting their opportunities.

Often, I find the "education bus" is a joke for college athletes; the guys who have a shot at the pros often have zero intention of graduating and leave as soon as possible. For them, college is nothing more than a basketball trade school.

The trouble here is he is overestimating his kid's pro chances. They are the type of kids who (1) should use college to get a degree or (2) use it as a basketball training ground. But their egos are so big they can't imagine not being first round draft picks.

The NBA should just eliminate the one year out of high school requirement. The NCAA is a racket.

I think they should implement the 3 year after graduation NFL rule.

My opinion is that you should be free to go pro after high school. But if you decide to go the college basketball route and take up a scholarship you should be committed to that school for 3 years like the NFL. That way the players that don't want to go to school can do it and the players that feel like they want to play college basketball won't waste the school's money on a one and done player.

That makes no sense to me The NFL's position is that the physical, mental, and emotional demands of pro football are beyond the capabilities of anyone before they reach a certain age. That's mostly a hypocrisy of wanting a free farm system to develop players.

I don't see the point of a rule that it's OK to join the NBA at after high school or after three years of college but not in-between those two points.

And believe me, the one-and-done players aren't "wasting" the school's money. The school's are financially benefiting from the players. Even beyond that, the NBA shouldn't be concerned about the finances of college.

And that sums up everything wrong about college basketball today. The one and done players have zero intention of even trying to complete their degree. They are just there to do their one year of "time" at the college before they leave and most likely never set foot at that college campus ever again. At least in college football you are required to stay there for 3 years so maybe you will take up a program that will benefit you in the future. Why bother with that farce if your goal is to make money. There should be other options like a stronger G-League which provides a league where potential NBA players can make money and who have zero intention of ever going to college.

You had me until "at least." The NFL 3-year rule isn't there to encourage athletes to get their degrees; it's there so players can be developed for the NFL for free in the college system.

Everyone in the system -- the players, the colleges, the professional leagues -- are motivated by money. I don't see it changing until we do away with the farce and acknowledge that major colleges are operating professional sports leagues using free/underpaid labor.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm still on the get an education bus. The Ball brothers are not the norm, they are the supposed exception. I own LaVar shorted his sons.

According to the most recent Graduation Success Rate data, 82 percent of Division I freshmen scholarship student-athletes who entered college in 2004 earned a degree. In Division II, 73 percent of freshmen student-athletes who entered college in 2004 graduated.

The one and done are talked about, student-athletes are swept under the rug.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject:

They are sooo screwed. At least the locals seem nice.

venturalakersfan wrote:
You think that Levar is going with his sons?

At least for a few days. He said so on The Breakfast Club.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject:

Apparently they have an out in the contract that says they can leave in February if they don’t like it.

I fully expect them to take it..
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm still on the get an education bus. The Ball brothers are not the norm, they are the supposed exception. I own LaVar shorted his sons.

According to the most recent Graduation Success Rate data, 82 percent of Division I freshmen scholarship student-athletes who entered college in 2004 earned a degree. In Division II, 73 percent of freshmen student-athletes who entered college in 2004 graduated.

To me this is apples and oranges.

There are about 4,400 Division 1 basketball players and 3,000 Division 2 players.

The vast majority of these players have no illusions of ever turning pro (only about 100 underclassroom declare for the NBA draft every year). When we talk about the one-and-dones, we are talking about the tiny subset of those players who have a chance at a professional career.

No one is saying the education bus isn't a smart idea for the 10th man on the Bruins, who has no illusions of turning pro (unless he has an egomanic father).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
jodeke wrote:

To me this is apples and oranges.

There are about 4,400 Division 1 basketball players and 3,000 Division 2 players.

The vast majority of these players have no illusions of ever turning pro (only about 100 underclassroom declare for the NBA draft every year). When we talk about the one-and-dones, we are talking about the tiny subset of those players who have a chance at a professional career.

No one is saying the education bus isn't a smart idea for the 10th man on the Bruins, who has no illusions of turning pro (unless he has an egomanic father).

I'm talking about those athletes unable to afford college. The one's that go to finish school, make use of the opportunity of a scholarship. I'm addressing those who think, with good reason, college is the NBA farm team.

LiAngelo is a product of his father. The system is not at fault. Reading his accounts of how he, LiAngelo, feels saddens me. He's his fathers son.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I look at how LaVar's handling his sons and wonder, is it about them or him?

His sons are going to be playing for a coach that doesn't speak English. How are they going to develop?

The chance of either Gelo or Melo making it to the NBA is so slim you'd have trouble sliding it under a Zack Randolph jump and we all know Zbo can't jump over a one page newspaper.

It seems to me LaVar's pushing the BBB brand with no superstar to front it. His shtick may be notoriety. I wish them luck.

agreed. I almost fell for his BS that all what he is doing is to push his sons to succeed. But its become beyond clear from his latest moves is that he is using his kids to advance his dreams and lifestyle. Hell he likely spent more of Lonzo's Laker money than Lonzo himself!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Apparently they have an out in the contract that says they can leave in February if they don’t like it.

I fully expect them to take it..

Neither one of these guys is going to even sniff the NBA unless you count Lonzo leaving them tickets.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject:

If the Ball family shows follows them to this village... I kinda wanna watch it
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Lavar Baltic

All their neighboring nations have inferior potassium.

This my son, LiAngelo. He number 3 african american in all of Lithuania. Very naaaaiz.

LiAngelo to Lithuanian coach: What eez up wit it, Vaneela Face?

Did you shrink LaMelo, gypsy? Eez theese your book of spells, geepsy?

I get window of a glass...LaVAR get window of a glass...
I get front step...LaVAR get front step...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
At least the locals seem nice.

Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Lithuania.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:

6 things to know about the Ball brothers’ next international adventure

Quote:
The Ball family saga — which includes the infamous international shoplifting incident in China that even looped in President Trump, who wound up in a Twitter skirmish with Ball — is taking another international turn. Sure, you’ve got lots of questions. Here are a few answers.

http://www.dailynews.com/2017/12/12/6-things-to-know-about-the-ball-brothers-next-international-adventure/
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject:

It will be hilarious if those 2 suspended UCLA players get reinstated over the winter break......
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
It will be hilarious if those 2 suspended UCLA players get reinstated over the winter break......

Quite possible. Scapegoated when UCLA wanted to ditch LaMelo.
Could be reinstated after the Ball(s) show up in the Baltic.

After all they stole some glasses worth a few thousands. Zac Randolph was deadlin drugs. Agent zero pointed a gun in the lockeroom. Delonte West beat up his wife. AI was once charged with lynching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
jodeke wrote:

His sons are going to be playing for a coach that doesn't speak English. How are they going to develop?

The chance of either Gelo or Melo making it to the NBA is so slim you'd have trouble sliding it under a Zack Randolph jump and we all know Zbo can't jump over a one page newspaper.

It seems to me LaVar's pushing the BBB brand with no superstar to front it. His shtick may be notoriety. I wish them luck.

agreed. I almost fell for his BS that all what he is doing is to push his sons to succeed. But its become beyond clear from his latest moves is that he is using his kids to advance his dreams and lifestyle. Hell he likely spent more of Lonzo's Laker money than Lonzo himself!

I don't think he's spending Lonzo's money. I googled his net worth. LINK
Quote:
Most sites that estimate people’s net worth place LaVar Ball’s 2017 net worth at about $4 million. Some of Ball’s net worth dates back to his own time in professional sports. His wife, Tina, brings in some of it, as she works as an athletic director at a California school.
This man is a mystery.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject:

Lavar was on practice squads in the NFL and he also played in NFL Europe. He's probably not as rich as somebody who played their entire athletic career here in the US, but he made enough that he could afford to live in Chino Hills.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Lavar is a stage parent. He has raised his kids from an early age to be NBA stars. One actually turned out to be one; two probably won't.

His fortunes are wrapped up in them, both financially and emotionally. But that doesn't mean he is stealing his kid's money,

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Lonzo breaks from him from a business standpoint at some point, especially if the Big Baller Brand never takes off.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Lavar was on practice squads in the NFL and he also played in NFL Europe. He's probably not as rich as somebody who played their entire athletic career here in the US, but he made enough that he could afford to live in Chino Hills.

That does not really make sense....practice squad players make up to $7,200 / week or $122K per year now....was probably less than half that in the mid 90's, and he only was on 2 practice squads for part of two seasons.....and part of a season in the World League of American Football....which likely paid less than NFL practice squads. I would guess he made a total of $60K-$110K max in total from his couple years being paid to play football.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

That does not really make sense....practice squad players make up to $7,200 / week or $122K per year now....was probably less than half that in the mid 90's, and he only was on 2 practice squads for part of two seasons.....and part of a season in the World League of American Football....which likely paid less than NFL practice squads. I would guess he made a total of $60K-$110K max in total from his couple years being paid to play football.

The guy is 50 years old. He probably made his money over the past 20-30 years in stuff no one knows about -- flipping houses, stocks, whatever.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The guy is 50 years old. He probably made his money over the past 20-30 years in stuff no one knows about -- flipping houses, stocks, whatever.

did not realize he was that age....that means he was 27ish when he graduated college.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

did not realize he was that age....that means he was 27ish when he graduated college.

He played basketball at three different colleges, and football at a fourth. I don't know if he ever graduated.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

lavar didnt short his sons. education is a tool to success or SHOULD be used as such. some people use it to actually ..get educated. That all depends on the school, your professors, what classes you take and how interested you are in said subjects and professors.

Truth is, College outside of doctors/lawyers, those types of professions, are for worker bees. What makes you think Melo or Gelo are going to be sitting somewhere with their feet underneath a desk typing away at a computer for the next 40-50 years of their life?
They're not.

I need an education. most people on LG need an education. The ball kids do not. I wish people would stop pushing this false narrative.

It's like if I won the lotto right no and after taxes I brought home 100mill. I dont need a darn degree people. Yes I need an education, but not the one you normally get at your local high school or college. I need the rich guy/gals club type of education. I need other well to do people to give me their hints and tips.

Lets just say this. even if Big baller brand dies tomorrow.

Gelo and Melo can run basketball camps, or Coach without degrees for the rest of their lives. They will never have to have a regular job like the rest of us. and I aint made at him either. This is why lavar didnt sell them short. he sold them long. Dont get so caught up in the NORMAL way of doing things where you forget why we go to high school and college to begin with. And lastly, you dont get 5 times smarter by going to college. Smart people are not born there. Smart people are born smart and have been groomed at the lower levels. by the time college rolls around. They are already very smart individuals. College is there to help them specialize in something. Guess what? the balls already specialize in something. its called basketball. They do it better than most. How many college grads can say that they are ranked in the top 1000 of people in their field. what about top 5000?

**before someone says "but but you need an education so you know how to not blow your money." As if every college major is a business major or that of finance/economics. You do realize most college students graduate with huge debts. So tell us again how college makes you smart in the areas of finance/economics unless thats your specific major? I'll wait. Usually someone with old money puts you up on some real life actual knowledge of what to spend on, and what not to spend on. How to save/earn profits while still leaving well. What things are valuable? etc. What things a person should invest in....

Last edited by splashmtn on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
adkindo wrote:

He played basketball at three different colleges, and football at a fourth. I don't know if he ever graduated.
i have a feeling he didnt. Even if he did. unless his degree was in kinesiology/ Sports Science. He isnt using it much.

Lavar made his money outside of pro/semi pro sports from being a personal trainer. and slanging those bbb tshirts. He has a decent enough resume and he looked(in his hayday) buff and in great shape. Thats more than enough to get clients. Then to have 3 boys and all 3 of them perform at a super high level at every level they have played from the kiddy stuff into high school will get parents to send their kids to lavar to be trained. and some parents are willing to pay for that training.

He bought a house with his pro ball money. He said it himself. Thats what most people do that play overseas a bit and get a little bit of that pro money. they make jussst enough to buy a nice car and a decent home. I've known a few of these type of guys. The talented ones or smart ones. Used some of that money to start up other entrepreneurial ventures they were always interested in.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: