What if

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: What if

So watching Harden and CP3 dominating, I’m just sitting here thinking what if Stern didn’t veto our trade for CP3 how good we would have been. Dang. It would have also prolonged Kobe’s playing years. Thank you bleeping David Stern
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject:

In
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject:

Impossible to say - CP3 does have a habit of getting injured in the playoffs though so there's that
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

What year is this?
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
Impossible to say - CP3 does have a habit of getting injured in the playoffs though so there's that

You got point there. I blame that on Clippers curse thou
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

First - There's nothing more annoying than threads given ambiguous titles. Second - This question has been asked, discussed, and beaten into the ground about 1000 times in the past, what...like 5 years?

deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: What if

la4win wrote:
So watching Harden and CP3 dominating, I’m just sitting here thinking what if Stern didn’t veto our trade for CP3 how good we would have been. Dang. It would have also prolonged Kobe’s playing years. Thank you bleeping David Stern

CP3 played a nice game last night. But as life would have it, he's
getting older now but would have been really good years back...

it is what it is...we move on...
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

All I know is the trade (or lack thereof) did a total mind fukk on one of the best players in the game. Pau was never the same once word got out.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
First - There's nothing more annoying than threads given ambiguous titles. Second - This question has been asked, discussed, and beaten into the ground about 1000 times in the past, what...like 5 years?

Some of you I don’t really get in this board is, you trying to be the police regarding discussions and titles. If you don’t like the discussion, you know you can just ignore it. I am never the one to create new topics, but did this one in reaction watching Rocket’s game last night. Sorry you didn’t like the topic.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
In

B4
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject:

This question never gets old.

With cp3, it’s a completely different landscape. We have cp3, Kobe, a more motivated Howard. Probably no MDA as coach to muck everything up because there would be no Nash. So better chance we have Phil back. Other stars likely join for a team friendly contract for a chance at a ring.

So we likely have two more finals appearances with one or two chips, that’s if Kobe still doesn’t snap his Achilles. But even if he does we still have a nice core of players with cp3 and a very good supporting cast, with the ability to attract more players to make up for kobe’s Injury, we are thus, still a playoff team,

and Jim and Mitch are still here....
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

Some of you I don’t really get in this board is, you trying to be the police regarding discussions and titles. If you don’t like the discussion, you know you can just ignore it. I am never the one to create new topics, but did this one in reaction watching Rocket’s game last night. Sorry you didn’t like the topic.

Not trying to police anything, just making a statement about something that bugs the sh#t out of me. I think I'm allowed the right to do so.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
In

B4

warlock
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:

With cp3, it’s a completely different landscape. We have cp3, Kobe, a more motivated Howard. Probably no MDA as coach to muck everything up because there would be no Nash. So better chance we have Phil back. Other stars likely join for a team friendly contract for a chance at a ring.

So we likely have two more finals appearances with one or two chips, that’s if Kobe still doesn’t snap his Achilles. But even if he does we still have a nice core of players with cp3 and a very good supporting cast, with the ability to attract more players to make up for kobe’s Injury, we are thus, still a playoff team,

Kobe snapped his Achilles working way too hard to get the team to the playoffs. He was averaging 40 something minutes. Two chips would have been awesome
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

Dude, I'll take you on face value.

But consider this:

(1) In the future avoid click bait headlines that say nothing about the topic (What if). This could have been "Harden and Paul are making Me Think About the Stern Trade Veto." Then people who are sick of this topic wouldn't think they were being suckered into clicking.

(2) And if you want to create a new thread focus on the new, which is Harden and Paul. For example, I think it would be a viable thread to argue why Paul with the Lakers would or would not have been as effective as he is now with the Rockets. But you didn't do anything like that. You are just using Harden and Paul as a throwaway hook to justify repeating a whine that we've heard a million times.

(3) Just because you start the thread doesn't mean you control the thread. If more people are complaining about the thread than commenting on its topic, the problem is with the thread.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
la4win wrote:
ElginBaylor wrote:

Dude, I'll take you on face value.

But consider this:

(1) In the future avoid click bait headlines that say nothing about the topic (What if). This could have been "Harden and Paul are making Me Think About the Stern Trade Veto." Then people who are sick of this topic wouldn't think they were being suckered into clicking.

(2) And if you want to create a new thread focus on the new, which is Harden and Paul. For example, I think it would be a viable thread to argue why Paul with the Lakers would or would not have been as effective as he is now with the Rockets. But you didn't do anything like that. You are just using Harden and Paul as a throwaway hook to justify repeating a whine that we've heard a million times.

(3) Just because you start the thread doesn't mean you control the thread. If more people are complaining about the thread than commenting on its topic, the problem is with the thread.

+1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject:

People forget about the repercussions stern faced while vetoing that trade.

1. He lost whatever credibility he had after many fantastic seasons as commissioner

2. He can never show his face at a lakers home game.....ever

3. His career will be tarnished amongst the largest nba fan base for the rest of his life

The fact that this is mentioned nearly 5 years later just shows what a collosal mistake that veto was on stern part
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

1. He lost whatever credibility he had after many fantastic seasons as commissioner

3. His career will be tarnished amongst the largest nba fan base for the rest of his life

The fact that this is mentioned nearly 5 years later just shows what a collosal mistake that veto was on stern part

It got the Pelicans sold, that was the point.
la4win
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

I don’t think he got a repercussion at all. He didn’t even feel a need to give a reason beside basketball reasons line. We felt all the bad effects; we lost on a good trade, LO and Pau weren’t the same after knowing they were included in the trade, and the FO was never able to recover after that.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject:

la4win wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:

Kobe snapped his Achilles working way too hard to get the team to the playoffs. He was averaging 40 something minutes. Two chips would have been awesome

Read this. If Kobe never accomplished anything in his career, he deserves legendary status for these few weeks alone.
Quote:

"I was like a conductor," Bryant continues. "Now I knew you can't win a championship doing that. You can't. But we had to get our team [to the postseason]. I had to literally micromanage everything. I called every play. I positioned everybody on the floor, and I manipulated the entire defense according to my will."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/15186931/last-true-days-kobe-bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Kobe + CP3 would have worked extremely well
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject:

What if I told you...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject:

999 wrote:

Stern was a controversial commissioner. He was powerful and unpleasant. He built the league to new heights, expanded it internationally, and made a lot of people a lot of money.

He was also a control freak (dress codes) who had all sorts of controversies, real and imagined -- lockouts, draft ages, refereeing scandals, conspiracy theories of all sorts.

Personally, I never felt the veto was the problem; it was that he didn't clearly delinate the decision making process for the franchise, so it seemed like he was doing something shifty. If he had said, "I will act as de facto owner and have ultimate authority over trades and other actions," there wouldn't have been the firestorm.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

YOU WILL PAY FOR YOUR BASKETBALL REASONS
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: