Lakers met with Lavar Ball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject:

... ugh, basketball anyone? Laker fo encouraging this drivel...
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Lavar channelling 2001 Kobe, "Tone it down? I haven't even turned it up."
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Cant believe they are giving any attention to that idiot.

Sometimes I really think this is some other franchise and not the Lakers.

Lavar is far from an idiot.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Idiot in the sense of what many consider to be his foolish behavior, not his intellectual capacity. But you knew that.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Roger O. Thornhill wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Idiot in the sense of what many consider to be his foolish behavior, not his intellectual capacity. But you knew that.

He is a douche who happens to have 1/3 of his sons playing in the NBA, making 30M USD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I actually really like Lavar, if you're concerned about the "noise" hes making then you're just playing into his hands and getting sucked into the hype IMO. He can make all the outlandish statements he wants, but it has absolutely zero impact on how well Lonzo performs on the court. He knows Zo can handle the pressure just fine and is doing what he's doing to build his brand.

But pulling his two younger ones out of UCLA? I get his reasons, but that was a really shortsighted move IMO. Why not let Gelo finish his suspension, maybe he can get it reduced to come back in January and play for a month or two. It's not like he's gonna be one and done anyways, an extra year or two at one of the best college programs in the country would only enhance his slim chances of making it to the NBA. Same with Melo.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Lakers should be ignoring people like that. And if there had to be a meeting the only guy i would send to meet him would be Joe Pesci
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Why do we even have a thread on him? This is exactly the problem. Sports columnists publish his comments and similar to teenage fans of pop stars, sports fans get so involved in the narrative despite claiming not to like all the "gossip" and chatter. I've tried to just ignore everything he says and articles that involve him, yet here I am involving myself on a conversation about him and his commentary. In the end, sports columnists and Lavar win, we fans lose. And, really it's our own fault.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Why do we even have a thread on him? This is exactly the problem. Sports columnists publish his comments and similar to teenage fans of pop stars, sports fans get so involved in the narrative despite claiming not to like all the "gossip" and chatter. I've tried to just ignore everything he says and articles that involve him, yet here I am involving myself on a conversation about him and his commentary. In the end, sports columnists and Lavar win, we fans lose. And, really it's our own fault.

What are we losing? It's all in good fun. Like you said, if the "noise" doesn't interest you just tune it out.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Lakers should be ignoring people like that. And if there had to be a meeting the only guy i would send to meet him would be Joe Pesci

lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

What are we losing? It's all in good fun. Like you said, if the "noise" doesn't interest you just tune it out.

I'm not complaining, just pointing out this is the norm. It's up to us fans to decide at what point its noise to tune out VS not. And for now, obviously everybody, myself included, is fascinated by it. That being said, if there was no noise around it, I wouldn't miss it.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I actually really like Lavar, if you're concerned about the "noise" hes making then you're just playing into his hands and getting sucked into the hype IMO. He can make all the outlandish statements he wants, but it has absolutely zero impact on how well Lonzo performs on the court. He knows Zo can handle the pressure just fine and is doing what he's doing to build his brand.

But pulling his two younger ones out of UCLA? I get his reasons, but that was a really shortsighted move IMO. Why not let Gelo finish his suspension, maybe he can get it reduced to come back in January and play for a month or two. It's not like he's gonna be one and done anyways, an extra year or two at one of the best college programs in the country would only enhance his slim chances of making it to the NBA. Same with Melo.
why let gelo serve a year long suspension(possibly) of not playing any ball at all? they cant even practice with the team. which might be exactly what they deserve for what they did. But this aint about that. This is about getting to the next level with lavar. He knows his sons can't get better just sitting around biting their nails. they need to play and play against some sort of competition. Gelo now gets to play vs grown men. melo gets to play vs grown men an in a more structured offense that forces you to move the ball around(this can make him hate basketball or make him more fundamentally sound and pair that with his gift of scoring/shooting.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
perspectives/opinions on so many things in society today differ based on the standard human characteristics such as gender, socioeconomic status, race, etc....but in regards to Lavar, my personal discussions with friends and family illustrate a divide between those who have children and those that do not.

It often seems like individuals that are not parents express more approval for Lavar and his actions. In contrast, individuals that are parents are often repulsed by his insistence on standing in his children's spotlight...many feel he is simply exploiting his kids. Of the many things that adults told me when I was younger that caused me to roll my eyes, but later became true.....none were more accurate than "you will understand once you become a parent".
individuals that are parents SAY they are repulsed by his behavior you say.. i say some agree and some dont. one of the big reasons that could be the case is because truth is, from a pure success measurement. Not talking about'life success in a general sense. I'm talking about something you can tangibly show. Lavar has beat many parents out when it comes to him putting his children in a position to be successful in life and not only that. but 1 out of 3 so for has achieved the ultimate success in their career by becoming the top 400 or so people in his career world wide before he turned 20.

How many parents can say that? Not many. I'm not sure even most parents know what it takes to pull something like that off.

So all of these parents talking about how much pressure he's putting on his son is actually not the real story. the pressure is being put on them. why arent you raising your children to be great at something? Lavar just did it and he's trying to do it 2 more times. Lavar makes some parents a bit uneasy because of this. But they wont ever admit to this of course.

How would you know how much pressure is on lonzo if you have never in life pushed your children to a level of a lonzo? The answer is...you wouldnt know. You have no idea. You just assume that might be the case. You may personally think, "i know i wouldnt want my dad pushing me that hard." thats you.

Until i see one of those 3 kids say "i dont like basketball. I actually never did. i just did it because my dad loved it." I dont have a bad thing to say about the guys vision. it has worked. so more power to him. from adults that know his kids they all say they are well mannered good kids. yeah we know gelo was darn near locked up in china for committing a crime. but we also know there have been quite a few of us right here on LG that have done something similar or worse. yeah, some of those people are still popping off at that mouth about lavar even though they are in this group.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
adkindo wrote:
perspectives/opinions on so many things in society today differ based on the standard human characteristics such as gender, socioeconomic status, race, etc....but in regards to Lavar, my personal discussions with friends and family illustrate a divide between those who have children and those that do not.

It often seems like individuals that are not parents express more approval for Lavar and his actions. In contrast, individuals that are parents are often repulsed by his insistence on standing in his children's spotlight...many feel he is simply exploiting his kids. Of the many things that adults told me when I was younger that caused me to roll my eyes, but later became true.....none were more accurate than "you will understand once you become a parent".
individuals that are parents SAY they are repulsed by his behavior you say.. i say some agree and some dont. one of the big reasons that could be the case is because truth is, from a pure success measurement. Not talking about'life success in a general sense. I'm talking about something you can tangibly show. Lavar has beat many parents out when it comes to him putting his children in a position to be successful in life and not only that. but 1 out of 3 so for has achieved the ultimate success in their career by becoming the top 400 or so people in his career world wide before he turned 20.

How many parents can say that? Not many. I'm not sure even most parents know what it takes to pull something like that off.

So all of these parents talking about how much pressure he's putting on his son is actually not the real story. the pressure is being put on them. why arent you raising your children to be great at something? Lavar just did it and he's trying to do it 2 more times. Lavar makes some parents a bit uneasy because of this. But they wont ever admit to this of course.

How would you know how much pressure is on lonzo if you have never in life pushed your children to a level of a lonzo? The answer is...you wouldnt know. You have no idea. You just assume that might be the case. You may personally think, "i know i wouldnt want my dad pushing me that hard." thats you.

Until i see one of those 3 kids say "i dont like basketball. I actually never did. i just did it because my dad loved it." I dont have a bad thing to say about the guys vision. it has worked. so more power to him. from adults that know his kids they all say they are well mannered good kids. yeah we know gelo was darn near locked up in china for committing a crime. but we also know there have been quite a few of us right here on LG that have done something similar or worse. yeah, some of those people are still popping off at that mouth about lavar even though they are in this group.

>postandpivot endorses and defends lavar ball

huuuuuuuge surprise
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
I actually really like Lavar

What are his likeable qualities?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
trablos wrote:

Just the fact that he doesn't take himself too seriously and seems like a fun guy to be around. Also that he is doing things his way, and doesn't care who approves of him and who doesn't.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
trablos wrote:

Just the fact that he doesn't take himself too seriously and seems like a fun guy to be around. Also that he is doing things his way, and doesn't care who approves of him and who doesn't.

Fun guy to be around? The one who "thinks" he knows all and goes on to distract? I like Lonzo but wish the dad goes over seas with the younger two
for a few years; say, 10-15...
PhiberOptik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject:

Glad that Lakers management trying to nip this in the bud. Seriously, it's not good when a players parents takes a shot at the coaching stuff.

Lavar is a loudmouth.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject:

If they gave him a job would it shut him up?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Nah, he’s after challenging the traditional way of doing things in the sports apparel industry (Nike, Adidas) and player career path (NCAA). Imo he is in the right place at the right time as these areas are under scrutiny.

He certainly has great support among the younger crowd. He might not “succeed” all the way, but he has started something and I would be concerned if I am the apparel giants or the NCAA. Times are changing.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
adkindo wrote:

>postandpivot endorses and defends lavar ball

huuuuuuuge surprise
most of lg hates lavar...huuuuge surprise. it goes both ways. the funny thing is. how is it that this guy is still so called bothering you guys so much? the only reason he gets air time is because there are so many haters that love to hate on him. if that were not the case. he would not be popular at all. it's similar to how much people hated kobe yet he was all over everyone's news articles every single day. you love to hate some people.

its the same reason trump is our president. people loved to hate him so much they kept putting him on the big screen and showing his every move. It only increased his popularity. I'm giving you guys the easy solution. If you truly hate lavar. stop talking about him. Stop telling the world how much you hate him. Just dont think about him no matter what he says. I dont have multiple threads based on people i hate. I dont pop into multiple threads based on people or things i hate. especially when they are not truly harming something of mine.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:

PhiberOptik wrote:
Glad that Lakers management trying to nip this in the bud. Seriously, it's not good when a players parents takes a shot at the coaching stuff.

Lavar is a loudmouth.
he's not your average parent. He's a coach who has a philosophy on how basketball should be played and he believes his 3 sons can play that style of basketball the best. Doesnt matter if the rest of us dont think that style will work in the nba. lavar does. thats his philosophy. This isnt some random father of a player who just wants his son to get more PT. He's being specific about what he doesnt agree with. They stick that mic in his face and he answers the question honestly. no bs talk. if you dont want to know. tell the media to stop asking him questions. he's not calling them up telling them to come ask him questions.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Lavar is a loudmouth.
he's not your average parent. He's a coach who has a philosophy on how basketball should be played and he believes his 3 sons can play that style of basketball the best. Doesnt matter if the rest of us dont think that style will work in the nba. lavar does. thats his philosophy. This isnt some random father of a player who just wants his son to get more PT. He's being specific about what he doesnt agree with. They stick that mic in his face and he answers the question honestly. no bs talk. if you dont want to know. tell the media to stop asking him questions. he's not calling them up telling them to come ask him questions.

He was a coach of a neighborhood youth team that he formed....and declared himself a coach. Most of us that have kids have been a coach of something at some point....that is exactly what some random parent is....Lavar has no more value to the Lakers than KCP's mom or Brandon Ingram's dad. No BS? Lavar is in the 99.9% percentile of the human race as it relates to being full of "BS".
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

Gave him a job? He’s an idiot! Why would the Lakers want
to give him a job?

He’s just a publicity skank. No job, just keep saying what he
is. Basically, nothing in the basketball world.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
PhiberOptik wrote:

Lavar is a loudmouth.

He was a coach of a neighborhood youth team that he formed....and declared himself a coach. Most of us that have kids have been a coach of something at some point....that is exactly what some random parent is....Lavar has no more value to the Lakers than KCP's mom or Brandon Ingram's dad. No BS? Lavar is in the 99.9% percentile of the human race as it relates to being full of "BS".
excellent rebuttal. about him being a kids coach that made himself a coach. all true.

here's the difference. and I've gone over this before. How many nba basketball fathers(not former players) also coached their 3 sons, where their 3 sons were ELITE basketball players at the HS level? I dont know of any. How many of these parent coaches also had their own weird style of play that won a lot of games and even a state championship without losing a game all season long? I dont know of any.

How many of these basketball dads or moms were apart of an entire basketball family. meaning His wife played college ball, along with lavar. and i've said this before. so did their uncles. The ball kids uncles were also city basketball stars. This aint a normal situation Lgers. stop trying to make it like it is. Lavar sound crazy, i get that. But lavar isnt crazy and there's a reason for that. He's been around the game for a very long time. He's been around winners for a very long time. This is why he has such a keen philosophy on how his 3 kids should play(i'm not saying that would work in the nba. just saying this is why he even has a legit philosophy or style of play. most parents that coach teams dont have a real style. They might run and gun a bit, or press a bit, or move the ball around a bit. but its not their set weird style like the way the ball kids played and actually won chinos first ever state title doing so.

When you are raising 3 elite basketball kids with that much family basketball history. You just might have some information that the normal basketball dad may not. Thats all I'm saying. And its also probably why he would think his ideas could work vs just crying about his kids getting Time on the court which is what 99.9% of most parents probably do behind closed doors when people were talking about parents always say things to the team's FO's and coaches behind closed doors where the media wont catch it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: