2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 332, 333, 334  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject:

I am hearing there is a good chance Kemp will be flipped. Stay tuned...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Good for Culberson that he can finally get a shot in the big leagues....
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Am I the only one who feels a bit sad for Kemp? Went from borderline MVP to marginal trade chip...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject:

He had a good decade run, thats how MLB careers go.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

He's such a horrible defensive outfielder that his overall value is negligible, if positive at all. He's like a Pujols type now, can hit around 30 HR and drive in 100 runs in a full season, but his OBP has plummeted and he provides no value elsewhere. Kemp's WAR last season was -1.3. In 2016 it was 0.0. In 2015 it was 0.6.

Maybe we can try to flip him to an AL team that would DH him, if his cost to that team was pretty cheap. I doubt it, though.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He's such a horrible defensive outfielder that his overall value is negligible, if positive at all. He's like a Pujols type now, can hit around 30 HR and drive in 100 runs in a full season, but his OBP has plummeted and he provides no value elsewhere. Kemp's WAR last season was -1.3. In 2016 it was 0.0. In 2015 it was 0.6.

Maybe we can try to flip him to an AL team that would DH him, if his cost to that team was pretty cheap. I doubt it, though.

Yep, I doubt he would get much playing time....theres a logjam in the outfield.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that they originally signed 2 injury prone pitchers to albatross contracts, the fact that said contracts came back to haunt them in acquiring impact players the last couple of seasons, or the fact that they included an underrated Charlie Culberson to dump those contracts for yet another albatross contract. The Dodgers have lost some of their depth so far this offseason and will now have to figure out how they can catch several more lightning in a bottle type players to make up for it.

I wonder where Adrian Gonzalez will end up. At this stage, he'll probably be a left handed DH / part-time 1B or just retire. McCarthy and Kazmir are whatevers. At least Charlie will finally get a chance to play every day.

I don't even know what they can possibly flip Matt Kemp for... at this point it has to be an AL team since his defense is atrocious. Hopefully there's some team out there that likes his bat enough to want to get him. And even better if that allows the Dodgers to revisit the pirates for Andrew McCutchen, Rivero, Cole. So how does the cash considerations work out? Do the Dodgers still send out the money from the original trade just to have to sent back to them?

A bit confused from the Braves perspective unless the GM is trying to do the Dodgers a solid for his time in LA. All that salary on the hope that the McKazmir combo finds their form along with Charlie Culberson?

I can see why the front office must do this type of deal, and although people are applauding that they were able to shed so much payroll while opening up several roster spots for other acquisitions, let's face it... at least $27 million of it shouldn't have been on the team in the first place. But ignoring the context and history behind this trade, on the surface this was a great trade for the Dodgers to get under the luxury tax in one fell swoop even though now it opens up holes in the lineup that they will need to address.

At least Yimi Garcia appears healthy. He'll be an important piece of the bullpen if he's fully healthy the whole season. And if Baez stops Baezing that'd be great too.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject:

^
Culberson has had some nice moments, but he is a 32-year-old utilityman, not an everyday player.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
I don't know what pisses me off more, the fact that they originally signed 2 injury prone pitchers to albatross contracts, the fact that said contracts came back to haunt them in acquiring impact players the last couple of seasons, or the fact that they included an underrated Charlie Culberson to dump those contracts for yet another albatross contract. The Dodgers have lost some of their depth so far this offseason and will now have to figure out how they can catch several more lightning in a bottle type players to make up for it.

I wonder where Adrian Gonzalez will end up. At this stage, he'll probably be a left handed DH / part-time 1B or just retire. McCarthy and Kazmir are whatevers. At least Charlie will finally get a chance to play every day.

I don't even know what they can possibly flip Matt Kemp for... at this point it has to be an AL team since his defense is atrocious. Hopefully there's some team out there that likes his bat enough to want to get him. And even better if that allows the Dodgers to revisit the pirates for Andrew McCutchen, Rivero, Cole. So how does the cash considerations work out? Do the Dodgers still send out the money from the original trade just to have to sent back to them?

A bit confused from the Braves perspective unless the GM is trying to do the Dodgers a solid for his time in LA. All that salary on the hope that the McKazmir combo finds their form along with Charlie Culberson?

I can see why the front office must do this type of deal, and although people are applauding that they were able to shed so much payroll while opening up several roster spots for other acquisitions, let's face it... at least $27 million of it shouldn't have been on the team in the first place. But ignoring the context and history behind this trade, on the surface this was a great trade for the Dodgers to get under the luxury tax in one fell swoop even though now it opens up holes in the lineup that they will need to address.

At least Yimi Garcia appears healthy. He'll be an important piece of the bullpen if he's fully healthy the whole season. And if Baez stops Baezing that'd be great too.

Which is why I compared it to the MozDeng signings. We still have the some defending the signings under the utter ridiculous logic of "who would we use that monye on anyways". Just HAVING the money doesn't mean you empty your chamber at the first pile of flotsam that floats your way. They should never, ever operate a business of their own.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Culberson has had some nice moments, but he is a 32-year-old utilityman, not an everyday player.

Culberson is 28, he'll get a shot at more playing time.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject:

I think Kemp will be gone in the next couple of weeks. Has no place in an NL team anymore, he's a god awful fielder.

If we can trade him to an AL team along with a lot of cash then call this a win. Goal was to get under luxury tax threshold.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

28, I stand corrected. Still, he has a .595 OPS in 411 major league at-bats. I'm not holding my breath.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
I think Kemp will be gone in the next couple of weeks. Has no place in an NL team anymore, he's a god awful fielder.

If we can trade him to an AL team along with a lot of cash then call this a win. Goal was to get under luxury tax threshold.

I think that is what will happen too traded along with cash to lower our tax threo
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Pretty stoked actually about this after failing to bring in a big name. Kemp gives more production than AGon could bring at this stage and as long as Matty leaves Rihanna behind at the gate then what a boon! We finally have production at the 5 spot and shed dead salary in the process!!

Taylor
Saeger
Turner
Bellinger
Kemp
Puig
Barnes/Grandal
Forsythe
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

28, I stand corrected. Still, he has a .595 OPS in 411 major league at-bats. I'm not holding my breath.

His defense in replacing Seager in the playoffs was impressive
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject:

rwongega arrives in Orlando at the same hotel as the MLB Winter Meetings. Sabermoron FO's faves and 2 of rwongega's most despised Dodger pitchers are suddenly dumped in a surprise move that is inconsistent with this ex-Ray/A fapping leadership. Coincidence? I think not.

But seriously, so happy those two are finally rid of. Probably not keeping Kemp but I liked him in person at the games. Wish we could've kept A-Gone around but with Bellinger rising, the whole WS fiasco, and his age...

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

His defense in replacing Seager in the playoffs was impressive

He had a great postseason. Still, he is what he is, a utilityman. It's great that he was locked in for us during the postseason, though, and he posted a super-classy message thanking the Dodgers. Major props to him for that and I wish him well in the future.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^

I never suggested that he'd be an everyday player, but he was exactly what the Dodgers needed, a solid utility player that can field and can sub in a pinch. Losing him creates a hole on the depth chart. He wasn't irreplaceable, but he sure was a very solid player for the Dodgers in his brief time and at a cheap price. He'll likely get more of an opportunity to stick with a major league team now.

I think it pretty much opens the door for the Dodgers to have Tim Locastro as the replacement utility player. He's a fast baserunner, something the Dodgers need and hopefully he can provide solid fielding work as well. I'm really hoping it works out well with Locastro since at the minimum he'll provide a good pinch runner for the team.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject:

This FO is so frustrating. They're obviously trying to shed costs so they can go after Harper next year. So this season will be a "I hope we can strike gold twice even though we let go of key players and aren't going to replace any or fill any holes/make upgrades".
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I am hearing there is a good chance Kemp will be flipped. Stay tuned...

Very curious to see what the Dodgers can get for Kemp. If the braves couldn't get rid of him straight up and had to do the Dodgers a solid, what AL team needs a right-handed DH enough to offer the Dodgers anything even at a drastically reduced salary? The A's/Rays don't need a DH so there goes that pipeline.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Kemp to Red Sox for future considerations.....J.D. Martinez to Dodgers 5 years $150 million!

One can dream.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:
Kemp to Red Sox for future considerations.....J.D. Martinez to Dodgers 5 years $150 million!

One can dream.

Heck no with trout and harper free agents in the next 1-2 years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Apparently the Dodgers are now $21MM under the luxury tax threshold for this season after this move. Shedding Grandal could get them even further space. Something to keep in mind if they go after a $25MM/a year pitcher (Darvish? Arrieta?) or pursue a trade for guys like Archer or even, gasp, Machado.

Or maybe they'll want to stay comfortably under it so that they would be able to take on payroll in a trade during the season.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject:

They need to go after Arrieta now that they freed up cap space. We can't expect to win a WS with no ace (Kershaw is my favorite but he's proven he is not automatic in October).
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Apparently the Dodgers are now $21MM under the luxury tax threshold for this season after this move. Shedding Grandal could get them even further space. Something to keep in mind if they go after a $25MM/a year pitcher (Darvish? Arrieta?) or pursue a trade for guys like Archer or even, gasp, Machado.

Or maybe they'll want to stay comfortably under it so that they would be able to take on payroll in a trade during the season.

Nah, Matt Garza, 4 years, 68 mil.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 332, 333, 334  Next
Page 15 of 334
Jump to: