Shaq on free throws: " I told Rick Barry I'd rather shoot 0% than shoot underhand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Shaq on free throws: " I told Rick Barry I'd rather shoot 0% than shoot underhand

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/12/11/shaq-on-free-throws-i-told-rick-barry-id-rather-shoot-0-than-shoot-underhand/

Quote:

Shaq on free throws: ‘I told Rick Barry I’d rather shoot 0% than shoot underhand’

Rick Barry famously made 90% of his free throws while shooting underhand.

Shaquille O’Neal infamously shot just 53% on his free throws, inspiring hack-a-Shaq.

Why didn’t Shaq use Barry’s technique?

Shaq, via Emmanuel Ocbazghi, Noah Friedman and Graham Flanagan of Business Insider:

Shaquille O’Neal: Because it’s boring.

Business Insider: But it’s been proven to be somewhat effective.

O’Neal: No, it’s not. It’s not proven. Just ’cause a couple guys did it doesn’t mean anybody can do it.

I told Rick Barry I’d rather shoot 0% than shoot underhand. I’m too cool for that.

O’Neal is somewhat trying to protect his larger-than-life, jokester image. But he’s also speaking to truth.

Barry would have been a good free-throw shooter overhand, too. Shooting underhand wasn’t necessarily going to fix Shaq’s problems at the line. Just because it worked for Barry doesn’t make it a “proven” technique.

Yet, every poor free-throw shooter – from Shaq to Andre Drummond to Andre Roberson – has been pestered about shooting underhand. It might be the right form for some players, but it’s no silver bullet.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

I honestly don't think it would have worked any better for Shaq. I would die in laughter if he shot underhand and threw it over the backboard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I disagree w/ Shaq on the whole "it wouldn't look cool thing." If he was making underhand free throws nobody would be complaining.

Especially when if they did they have 300+ lb drop step and dunk on their heads coming next
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
I disagree w/ Shaq on the whole "it wouldn't look cool thing." If he was making underhand free throws nobody would be complaining.

Especially when if they did they have 300+ lb drop step and dunk on their heads coming next

The evidence is pretty clear that the underhanded technique is superior and most NBA players should be using it. But it's always had anti-macho reputation and no matter how successful someone is they get trash from teammates, opponents and fans for it.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject:

To some people, it's cool to be unafraid to do things that are perceived as uncool. Look at Anthony Davis with his unibrow or Westbrook with his dorky outfits. Shaq didn't need a fame boost, but I think a lesser player could greatly increase his popularity by shooting underhand and doing it well.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:

The evidence is pretty clear that the underhanded technique is superior and most NBA players should be using it. But it's always had anti-macho reputation and no matter how successful someone is they get trash from teammates, opponents and fans for it.

Malcolm Gladwell had a podcast about this. Big Man Can't Shoot - Revisionist History. interesting episode - he even interviewed Barry.

Last edited by Cutheon on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Barry's son did it at University of Florida last year, and nobody even paid attention after the first couple games.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject:

To me Shaq has always been "The Big Insecurity"
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject:

R-Tistic wrote:
I honestly don't think it would have worked any better for Shaq. I would die in laughter if he shot underhand and threw it over the backboard.

This image cracked me the hell up
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
activeverb wrote:
22 wrote:

Malcolm Gladwell had a podcast about this. Big Man Can't Shoot - Revisionist History. interesting episode - he even interview Barry.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/03-the-big-man-cant-shoot
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Shaq is a dumbass free throwise.

I have shot them both regular and underhand, it works equally well for me.

But then I don’t have major free throw issues.

Bye.
Kobesdad
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Shaq always shot the ball like a handicapped person. His form was literally stunted.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Prime Shaq was so incredible that I didn't even care he shot FTs like (bleep)
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject:

One can only imagine how much more dominant numbers Shaq would have put up if she shot 70-75% from the free throw line....
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Kobesdad wrote:
Shaq always shot the ball like a handicapped person. His form was literally stunted.

Hey, maybe you can find a way to insult a few other folks as well. Sure he doesn't shoot like a girl, or have really gay form?
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject:

Is that the same reason people don't like to use backboard? At elementary, I used to shoot 3 pointers underhanded and aimed for backboard. That bleep was money (only if I was straightaway tho).
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject:

The big insecure. Never change Shaq, never change my friend.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

He talks about dominating all the time. That was possible when he dunked on any one. After he got fat, one had to take a J 15ft out. He'd be killed by guys like Boogie, or Lopez, because they would just shoot long Js and threes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Gellollo wrote:
Is that the same reason people don't like to use backboard? At elementary, I used to shoot 3 pointers underhanded and aimed for backboard. That bleep was money (only if I was straightaway tho).

There's a trade off, the backboard requiring more distance increases the chance it misses (as the shot requires more force, you're basically shooting an extra 2 feet for no reason when straight ahead), but the front of the rim drops in more often than the back, i'm sure the physics has been worked out, but i wouldn't think the distance would be far at all, probably layups only
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

He talks about dominating all the time. That was possible when he dunked on any one. After he got fat, one had to take a J 15ft out. He'd be killed by guys like Boogie, or Lopez, because they would just shoot long Js and threes.

Plus he is a lot older than them.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
Gellollo wrote:

There's a trade off, the backboard requiring more distance increases the chance it misses (as the shot requires more force, you're basically shooting an extra 2 feet for no reason when straight ahead), but the front of the rim drops in more often than the back, i'm sure the physics has been worked out, but i wouldn't think the distance would be far at all, probably layups only

You'd get rejected 80% of time in the NBA shooting 3s like that.
By 5'7'' guys.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject:

What a (bleep) mentality.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Have you guys ever heard Shaq's excuse for never being a good FT shooter? He said something along the lines of "I would've been the most arrogant jerk in the world if I always made them".

Shaq was utterly dominant for a few years, but if he wanted to he could've been the GOAT.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Have you guys ever heard Shaq's excuse for never being a good FT shooter? He said something along the lines of "I would've been the most arrogant jerk in the world if I always made them".

Shaq was utterly dominant for a few years, but if he wanted to he could've been the GOAT.

Agreed. I also remember him saying after another pre-season where he came into camp out of shape that he would never change his diet- "I don't eat rabbit food"

No wonder he drove Kobe nuts who would work on his free throws, change his diet, work out all summer and basically do what ever it took to improve his game. If you combined Kobe's work ethic with the Shaq frame. Oh My
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
... If you combined Kobe's work ethic with the Shaq frame. Oh My

The other way around you'd have JR Rider.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: