View previous topic :: View next topic  
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Hammett wrote:
Congrats to Mark Knopfler, he's an amazing guitarist.

Agree.

It is kind of weird how he lowered his profile over the years after being so big early in the MTV era.

It is almost like he retired somewhere along the way, but I saw Dire Straits in their prime around 1986 and he was fantastic.

His recent "An Evening with Mark Knopfler" concerts were really great. Should be stuff on Youtube.

My parents took me to a Knopfler show back in 2010 or 2011 while I was still in High School. I had been playing guitar for about 2 or 3 years at that point, and was mostly in to hard rock (GnR, Van Halen, etc) and wasn’t familiar with DS really at all.

I remember he played Sultans as an encore, and it was the first time I’d heard it. It was definitely one of those “what was that!” moments — I’d never heard a guitar sound like that. Been a fan ever since.

Well deserved!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject:

Not saying it's not deserving but I've always considered Nina Simone a jazz singer. Is she also in the Jazz Hall Of Fame?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Agree.

It is kind of weird how he lowered his profile over the years after being so big early in the MTV era.

It is almost like he retired somewhere along the way, but I saw Dire Straits in their prime around 1986 and he was fantastic.

His recent "An Evening with Mark Knopfler" concerts were really great. Should be stuff on Youtube.

My parents took me to a Knopfler show back in 2010 or 2011 while I was still in High School. I had been playing guitar for about 2 or 3 years at that point, and was mostly in to hard rock (GnR, Van Halen, etc) and wasn’t familiar with DS really at all.

I remember he played Sultans as an encore, and it was the first time I’d heard it. It was definitely one of those “what was that!” moments — I’d never heard a guitar sound like that. Been a fan ever since.

Well deserved!

I'd do anything - except to practice for many months - to have that right hand technique. I tried it a few times, but it probably takes many years to master. That's where that sound comes from and it's so versatile.

Jeff Beck is another guitarist that his unique style with the right hand. He basically abandoned picks 30 years ago, and the speed he gets with three fingers is remarkable. John Mayer ain't bad at that either.

Meanwhile, I'll continue using the good old pick.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Agree.

Well deserved!

I'd do anything - except to practice for many months - to have that right hand technique. I tried it a few times, but it probably takes many years to master. That's where that sound comes from and it's so versatile.

Jeff Beck is another guitarist that his unique style with the right hand. He basically abandoned picks 30 years ago, and the speed he gets with three fingers is remarkable. John Mayer ain't bad at that either.

Check out Richie Kotzen, he's one of the few modern guys who employs the "pickless" thing to great effect and really wails at it.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Wilt wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Hammett wrote:

Agree.

Well deserved!

Check out Richie Kotzen, he's one of the few modern guys who employs the "pickless" thing to great effect and really wails at it.

Lindsey Buckingham is another great finger picker
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject:

I think Jorma is the greatest of the surviving rock era guitarists. He was very underrated in his prime and he's still excellent now. Great finger picker as well. A Rev. Gary Davis protege.

https://youtu.be/go_tod450Eg

As for deserving inductees Gram Parsons and .Roy Buchanan deserve to to be in or there is any justice.

Roy Buchanan was a great guitarist one of the greatest ever. Didn't care about fame. Great finger picker as well. Telecaster, cord, Fender Twin no pedals, no phase shifter, no pick.

Sweet Dreams

Gram Parsons was the father of country rock set the stage for the Eagles, et.al
Brought Emmymlou Harris to the world and got the Byrds kicked out of the Grand Ole Opry for going off script with this tune

Hickory Wind
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yes, of course. Great soloist as well. I find him to be quite underrated amongst guitar players/musicians.
h2omike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yes, of course. Great soloist as well. I find him to be quite underrated amongst guitar players/musicians.

Saw Him with Christy McVie in concert recently, still a great player.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
I think Jorma is the greatest of the surviving rock era guitarists. He was very underrated in his prime and he's still excellent now. Great finger picker as well. A Rev. Gary Davis protege.

saw Jorma/Papa John/Jack with Hot Tuna back in '73...WOW .

exactly 3 months to the day after this show...

ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

That's a pretty awesome piece of video.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
ExPatLkrFan wrote:

That's a pretty awesome piece of video.

When I hear 'Jorma' that's what comes to mind...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: