LaVar Ball wants to start league for high school graduates
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Man NCAA ball is terrible to watch.

Can't imagine how terrible his league would be to watch from an on court competition sense.

It is so terrible it generates billions of $ annually.....almost all of it based on peoples desire to watch.

B/c it's tied to colleges with its alumni and so on. You have swathes of people watching their "alma mater."

With nameless high school kids? who wants to watch poor basketball that has no ties to things like your alma mater?

Yep college basketball has built in loyalty...

Unless this league is able to snag the next Lebron or Kobe, it will probably play in front of empty grandstands.
Even something like the NBA G-League had to go thru a lot of growing pains just to get people to show up to their games.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Can't imagine how terrible his league would be to watch from an on court competition sense.

It is so terrible it generates billions of $ annually.....almost all of it based on peoples desire to watch.

B/c it's tied to colleges with its alumni and so on. You have swathes of people watching their "alma mater."

With nameless high school kids? who wants to watch poor basketball that has no ties to things like your alma mater?

I can just speak for myself and millions of others....I love watching college sports....even events that are not tied to my alma mater. I am not sure if you refer to "nameless high school kids" as in college or Lavar's league...if it is college, most of us that follow it closely know all the names of the top kids a year before they arrive....and the entire recruiting class of our alma mater. I still enjoy watching high school sports.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I can just speak for myself and millions of others....I love watching college sports....even events that are not tied to my alma mater. I am not sure if you refer to "nameless high school kids" as in college or Lavar's league...if it is college, most of us that follow it closely know all the names of the top kids a year before they arrive....and the entire recruiting class of our alma mater. I still enjoy watching high school sports.

You may do that, but who the heck is going to watch some 17-18 year olds playing a brand of inferior basketball. You have no ties to them unless you went to their high school. Look at the millions of alumni from the big time schools. Aggregate them together and that's where the billions of $ come from.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Also whats to stop a shoe company from starting their own league and funneling all the top draft picks to their league. Instead of getting paid 10k a month, a shoe company like Nike can probably afford to double that amount and also a preliminary guarantee for a future shoe deal.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Also whats to stop a shoe company from starting their own league and funneling all the top draft picks to their league. Instead of getting paid 10k a month, a shoe company like Nike can probably afford to double that amount and also a preliminary guarantee for a future shoe deal.

They can do that in the G League while being viewed by NBA teams.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Why do you guys think not a single player has decided to spend a year in the g-league before going in to the NBA draft?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Why do you guys think not a single player has decided to spend a year in the g-league before going in to the NBA draft?

I don't know what the payscale in the G-League is, but somebody trying to get drafted into the NBA is looking for more than just a paycheck. They want visibility and will sacrifice a couple of years of no financial rewards. The TV time in the NCAA counts for something. Players who play in NCAA college basketball have the highest profile outside of the NBA here in the US. Its where you want to play at if you want to be see by all the interested scouts. Also theres something to be said about hype by word of mouth. There is a lot more of an audience at an NCAA basketball game than there is at an NBA G-League game.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I don't know what the payscale in the G-League is, but somebody trying to get drafted into the NBA is looking for more than just a paycheck. They want visibility and will sacrifice a couple of years of no financial rewards. The TV time in the NCAA counts for something. Players who play in NCAA college basketball have the highest profile outside of the NBA here in the US. Its where you want to play at if you want to be see by all the interested scouts. Also theres something to be said about hype by word of mouth. There is a lot more of an audience at an NCAA basketball game than there is at an NBA G-League game.

Definitely. I think the G-league max is $26K. That doesn't include housing and food like they have in the NCAA. Not sure what the health insurance situation is, but they have great health insurance in college. They also have access to full coaching staffs. And I know people say you can party and get girls in any situation, but there is nothing like the college social scene. How many months will the JSA (which I highly doubt ever comes to fruition) season last? If its a 4 month season, players are looking at $12,000 - $40,000 in pay according to Lavar's scale. If players were interested in avoiding college for $25K, there would be more than zero players who opted to go to the g-league. Although the randomness of going through the g-league draft may be another disincentive.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject:

A lot of G-League teams are owned by NBA teams. I doubt any of them want a reputation of taking kids out of college when NBA has age limit(basically one and done rule) in place. And they don't run the team to develop draft picks that will end up at other teams. Mudiay didn't want to go to college and went to China. Really top prospects like Wiggins might not want to play in a new league for money, but if they could get more prospects like Mudiay, it'd be interesting.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You may do that, but who the heck is going to watch some 17-18 year olds playing a brand of inferior basketball. You have no ties to them unless you went to their high school. Look at the millions of alumni from the big time schools. Aggregate them together and that's where the billions of $ come from.

High school sports are getting really popular. Its not so much about the schools but people are wanting to see the journey of the future stars. I mean isnt ESPN showing high school football during HS season? Im not saying this league can be big but i would keep my eye on it. Could become a thorn in college sport's side.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject:

By thorn it's like a massive battle tank having a nail in front of it.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject:

He could pitch what they do overseas and have each team sponsored by a national corporation.

Like there'll be a McDonalds Team, a Staples Team, a Samsung Team etc..... just like how it is in Europe and all throughout the world with all kinds of sports. Just completely blow away the stringent college rules regarding sponsorship.

That kind of sponsorship $ would immediately draw all the top talent coming out of high school and solve the funding issues to run the league as well as garner viewership contracts for increased revenue.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: