Is L.A. the most hated/disliked big city in our nation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Korean bbq and southern bbq are about as competitive as chowder and gumbo. Technically both soups, but reasonably sure enjoying a sublime chowder doesn't get you thrown out of new orleans or mean you're demeaning gumbo. You'd have to be pretty picayune to consider Korean bbq as a threat to southern bbq.

A threat? No. I'm saying that it hasn't caught on in the south and the border states because we have our indigenous barbecue cuisines. You can find it here, but it hasn't caught on. Same with chowder, by the way. You can find chowder here, but gumbo is a lot more common.

Fair enough.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
What's funny is that while the other big boys hate California, and norcal has some strange inferiority complex with socal, the feelings are never mutual.

I went to UCSB, which is generally a mix of socal and NorCal kids. Until I got there I was totally unaware of the "Norcal" brand, or the supposed feud between the two poles.

As a fellow LA Goucho I concur. You are hella right.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:
What's funny is that while the other big boys hate California, and norcal has some strange inferiority complex with socal, the feelings are never mutual.

I went to UCSB, which is generally a mix of socal and NorCal kids. Until I got there I was totally unaware of the "Norcal" brand, or the supposed feud between the two poles.

As a fellow LA Goucho I concur. You are hella right.

That is quite normal and typical. In my state, the rural eastern half hates the coastal urban portion with a passion and thinks there is a rivalry. We just think about them enough to hope they drive home safely after visiting for provisions and potential non family breeding stock.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject:

It's Zagat FWIW, but it's something...

Zagat names LA "Most Exciting Food City" in the country

http://www.foodandwine.com/news/zagat-names-most-exciting-food-city-in-america
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

brand new pho place in cerritos with AYCE broth and noodles...just tried it, it's amazing

http://supnoodlebar.com/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
It's Zagat FWIW, but it's something...

Zagat names LA "Most Exciting Food City" in the country

http://www.foodandwine.com/news/zagat-names-most-exciting-food-city-in-america

I can see that. From the aspect of the variety of different dining experiences in regards to the way they take place, it's a reasonable position.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

when i see my wife walking around the house like an eskimo and heading towards the thermostat to turn on the heater i realize why people hate californians.

its freaking 72 degrees BABE... FML.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

brand new pho place in cerritos with AYCE broth and noodles...just tried it, it's amazing

Thanks. Tried Broth a few weeks ago. It was good. Normally, I'd say just all right.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Gotta love that LA traffic.

Going to be more when that underground highway is done.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Thanks. Tried Broth a few weeks ago. It was good. Normally, I'd say just all right.

I've tried shabu shabu twice and didn't enjoy it very much at either place, for whatever reason. Would you recommend Broth?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

I've tried shabu shabu twice and didn't enjoy it very much at either place, for whatever reason. Would you recommend Broth?

I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable recommending this place as the game-changer for shabu for you. Nothing worse than being disappointed after eating and paying good money. Broth has some good quality beef and that's why I'd recommend it. But only to people that like shabu. Sorry man.

By the way, what's up with the club vibe at KBBQ and Shabu spots? Like I really need to be in the dark, with a soft neon glow spotted here and there and Rhianna songs pulsating like a toothache.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable recommending this place as the game-changer for shabu for you. Nothing worse than being disappointed after eating and paying good money. Broth has some good quality beef and that's why I'd recommend it. But only to people that like shabu. Sorry man.

By the way, what's up with the club vibe at KBBQ and Shabu spots? Like I really need to be in the dark, with a soft neon glow spotted here and there and Rhianna songs pulsating like a toothache.

Younger Asians tend to treat these aromatic feedbags as singles hangouts...they seem to enjoy that tacky aesthetic for some reason. I just try to keep my eyes on my table, lest I accidentally notice all of the slobs around me hunched over their bowls, slurping obnoxiously. And then we all leave smelling of smoke and grease...how romantic.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Younger Asians tend to treat these places as singles hangouts...they seem to enjoy that tacky aesthetic for some reason. I just try to keep my eyes on my table, lest I accidentally notice all of the slobs around me hunched over their bowls, slurping obnoxiously.

That's real shame. As a teen, the first time I tried KBBQ it was life changing. It had been a long while since then when I heard people bragging about Gen. I walked up pretty excited to the Cerritos location, saw the line, the club lighting, heard those god-awful beats and just walked away.

Now your turn. Any recommendations for KBBQ? I'll endure the Night at the Roxbury emanations if the food is nice.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Younger Asians tend to treat these places as singles hangouts...they seem to enjoy that tacky aesthetic for some reason. I just try to keep my eyes on my table, lest I accidentally notice all of the slobs around me hunched over their bowls, slurping obnoxiously.

That's real shame. As a teen, the first time I tried KBBQ it was life changing. It had been a long while since then when I heard people bragging about Gen. I walked up to the Cerritos location, saw the line, the club lighting, heard those god-awful beats and just walked away.

Now your turn. Any recommendations for KBBQ? I'll endure the Night at the Roxbury emanations if the food is nice.

Sadly I've yet to adventure through KTown so the best KBBQ I can recommend is cham soot gol in Buena Park. It's really good, I don't know how it compares to the places you've been to, but it kills the places in Irvine, Artesia, and I think it's better than Gen.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

That's real shame. As a teen, the first time I tried KBBQ it was life changing. It had been a long while since then when I heard people bragging about Gen. I walked up to the Cerritos location, saw the line, the club lighting, heard those god-awful beats and just walked away.

Sadly I've yet to adventure through KTown so the best KBBQ I can recommend is cham soot gol in Buena Park. It's really good, I don't know how it compares to the places you've been to, but it kills the places in Irvine, Artesia, and I think it's better than Gen.

My man!

While I'm sure they've got sick KBBQ in KTown, I always appreciate recommendations that are closer to me. Thanks.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

My man!

While I'm sure they've got sick KBBQ in KTown, I always appreciate recommendations that are closer to me. Thanks.

Glad you've never been! Be excited...hope you like it!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

Glad you've never been! Be excited...hope you like it!

Definitely looking forward to it. Going to surprise the wife. I'll let you know.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Cham soot gol is cham soot (bleep) amazing
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

my (bleep)
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

my (bleep)

bulgogi, baby octopus, egg pot, all the belly's, all the intestines...and the ice cream, my man, the ice cream.

Gimme_the_rock: don't leave without getting your free ice cream, trust.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

it also has the potato salad which is the line in the sand between good and not good kbbq. potato salad is the standard now. if you don't have it, what are you doing, kbros? that's like a sandwich shop that doesn't carry rye bread. time to pack it up, you can't compete.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

my (bleep)

bulgogi, baby octopus, egg pot, all the belly's, all the intestines...and the ice cream, my man, the ice cream.

Gimme_the_rock: don't leave without getting your free ice cream, trust.

Will do and thanks for the tip.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject:

it also has the potato salad which is the line in the sand between good and not good kbbq. potato salad is the standard now. if you don't have it, what are you doing, kbros? that's like a sandwich shop that doesn't carry rye bread. time to pack it up, you can't compete.

I've never had the potato salad. and I LOVE me some tate salad.

And you are right, my man. Rye bread is the ish. Also dig a fresh squaw.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Im too busy not freezing my ass off in January to care.

#cali4lyfe
#leftcoastbestcoast
#theyhateuscuztheyaintus
#nofilter

!...
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
tlim wrote:
jodeke wrote:
If New York had LA weather, I'd move there in a heartbeat. I'm from New Jersey, spent a lot of time in The Big Apple as a youngster. When I visit family I find the NY ambiance grasping.

Staples doesn't have the Madison Square Garden atmosphere. Griffith Park can't hold a candle to Central Park. LA Zoo can't measure up to Bronx Zoo. Downtown Manhattan has really cleaned up. LA's skyline is second class to New York. LA people are in part plastic. New York people are more real.

LA's attraction is weather.

Central park is nowhere the size of Griffith Park. Dude, we've got a huge observatory in there. Since it is so large, we of course don't groom it like Central Park gets groomed. But it's got way more hiking trails than in NY.

LA Zoo, yeah, just isn't so great.

For me, food... nothing beats LA in the food category, hands down.

Disagree with the last comment, no city beats New Orleans when it comes to food.

I'd also rate LA as the third best food on the west coast, with San Francisco and Portland vying for number one.

LA over San Diego? I don't know...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: