No x-mas bonus this year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: No x-mas bonus this year

Ok LG, need your thought on this.
I wanna know if I'm being petty or silly on this subject.

Been working for the same company for 5 years now.
Recently, the company did some "downsizing" and a number of employees were let go. My office was not affected, but it was tough to see some colleagues leave.

Each of my previous years, employees would receive an email in their company inbox, thanking us for our service and wishing us a happy holiday season. We would also receive an extra couple Hundred dollars as a holiday bonus. This year, we did not receive anything. And I get it. The company is re-structuring things and maybe doesn't have the funds to give a bonus. Afterall it IS a bonus... and not anything we SHOULD be expecting/counting on, right?

But what gets me is that there was NO e-mail sent out either. No well wishes and even my direct supervisor was MIA all last week as I'm sure he was getting bombarded with inquiries about the bonus.

Am I wrong to be kinda pissed off about this? I feel like if there were no funds available, AT LEAST wish us well and SAY Thank you. Maybe even offer up an explanation as to why there was no bonus. But to just not say anything at all is kinda lame imo. Sorry, i am just venting, but want to know if I'm justified in feeling let down and a bit upset.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Did you inform them that the Trump tax cut should guarantee you a $1,000 - $4,000 bounus?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject:

There’s nothing wrong with feeling a little miffed, as long as you are able to move past it and not let it poison your attitude toward the company. Speaking as an employment lawyer, I can tell you that a lot of bad stories start with little stuff. If this is something you are going to carry with you, think about getting your resume out.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject:

I think it would be bad taste for them to give out bonuses after doing a round of cost-cutting. It is odd that they didn't send a traditional note out, assuming they always do it, but I don't see it being that big of a deal. Seems like they just wanted to avoid conversation about it. Or maybe the management team has changed and the team that was involved in producing the annual thank you note no longer works there, meaning the tradition was since lost.

Agree though that if you feel this is a sign of things to come, and are truly bothered by it, maybe time to start looking for a new position for your long-term career happiness.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
I think it would be bad taste for them to give out bonuses after doing a round of cost-cutting. It is odd that they didn't send a traditional note out, assuming they always do it, but I don't see it being that big of a deal. Seems like they just wanted to avoid conversation about it. Or maybe the management team has changed and the team that was involved in producing the annual thank you note no longer works there, meaning the tradition was since lost.

Agree though that if you feel this is a sign of things to come, and are truly bothered by it, maybe time to start looking for a new position for your long-term career happiness.

I agree and want to add that it is a "BONUS" not something you are owed, I have worked at a few companies that had layoffs and there were no bonuses that year as well...

I would not worry about it, your supervisor probably did not get their Thousand dollar bonus and they are pissed too, so much so that they did not feel like sending any emails out..
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Damn, man. There's a lot of people out there that are overworked and low-paid that hardly know what's a bonus.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Nothing wrong with being disappointed in not receiving a bonus, or even how your company handled the matter. Also, nothing wrong with exploring other opportunities if they provide you (and/or your family) with more when you feel the time is right. At the same time, maintain perspective.....there are always others that have far less resources this holiday season and would love to exchange places with you. Always do what is best for you and those your responsible for....but do not allow disappointment or anger to cause you to lose what you already have.....
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

#firstworldproblems

Look at it this way- your bonus is that you weren't one of the people let go.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Nothing wrong with being disappointed in not receiving a bonus, or even how your company handled the matter. Also, nothing wrong with exploring other opportunities if they provide you (and/or your family) with more when you feel the time is right. At the same time, maintain perspective.....there are always others that have far less resources this holiday season and would love to exchange places with you. Always do what is best for you and those your responsible for....but do not allow disappointment or anger to cause you to lose what you already have.....

That is really solid advice and well stated by adkindo.

I have been with my current company 10 years in a primary sales role. When times are good, we get holiday bonuses, but when they are bad we don't if that helps at all. I think maybe 3 of the 10 years there was not holiday bonus of note so your company is not alone in doing that.

Ideally, the leaders would give everyone a heads up but when things are tough often those people disappear or don't lead like they did when things were rolling, at least in my experience.

But I am sorry to hear you didn't get it, maybe just take USC and the points over Ohio State for your own Holiday Bonus?
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the input, everyone.
I definitely AM keeping things in perspective and continuing to put in 100%...I'm very appreciative of my situation and dont take my job for granted at all.

As I stated, I'm mainly upset of how it was all handled. I go above and beyond (work off the clock, never call off sick) so a little appreciation would have been nice. Didn't even have to be money. Recognition is HUGE in my book.

But yes, little things like this add up. Last year during performance reviews I told them I had just earned my degree and was hoping that it would help with an additional pay increase or promotion opportunities down the road. So far.... nothing.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone.
I definitely AM keeping things in perspective and continuing to put in 100%...I'm very appreciative of my situation and dont take my job for granted at all.

As I stated, I'm mainly upset of how it was all handled. I go above and beyond (work off the clock, never call off sick) so a little appreciation would have been nice. Didn't even have to be money. Recognition is HUGE in my book.

But yes, little things like this add up. Last year during performance reviews I told them I had just earned my degree and was hoping that it would help with an additional pay increase or promotion opportunities down the road. So far.... nothing.

I totally get it. Recognition and especially appreciation are big. I've been at places where there was a bonus, but it was just kind "here you go". I've also been at places where there was no bonus, but there was a very sincere and personal thank you from the people I worked for which was actually better than the sterile offering of some cash.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject:

layoffs = no bonus.

Management becoming unavailable usually means something big is up. You should update your Resume (Always a good practice even if your not actively looking) and keep an eye out for other red flags.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject:

As a note just because you completed your degree doesn't mean you should expect a role or pay change unless the role you're in requires it or the position or company you're at needs it. It's one thing for them not to show their congratulations and being bothered by that (totally understandable to be upset by that), but a whole other to expect changes in responsibility just because you completed a degree (unless of course they previously mentioned it as a need for a person in your position).
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject:

Hey man, I appreciate ya!!!

And on behalf of the LG and all the extended Laker fanbase, I'd like to send to you the utmost appreciation for all your efforts and hard work.

No doubt it's people like you that make the daily grind of non stop posting a lot less mundane and we thank you.

Although the past year has been a challenging time financially for all of us, just know that being committed to the larger picture and going above and beyond the call of duty, day in and day out does not go unnoticed. As we welcome the new year and our continued progress towards our goals, we here at the LG most assuredly will never forget those who got us to where we are.

As we continue to strive towards the achievement of our LG goals, let it be known that "PLATINUM" (fill name here) has been a pivotal part of our success and words alone can never express the gratitude we feel for your contributions.

Please fill your desk belongings to the box provided and print out this letter with coupon code TK421 to redeem your LG 'Appreciation Stuffed Bear' at the front desk. Also leave your access badge and ID with security on your way out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Hey man, I appreciate ya!!!

And on behalf of the LG and all the extended Laker fanbase, I'd like to send to you the utmost appreciation for all your efforts and hard work.

No doubt it's people like you that make the daily grind of non stop posting a lot less mundane and we thank you.

Although the past year has been a challenging time financially for all of us, just know that being committed to the larger picture and going above and beyond the call of duty, day in and day out does not go unnoticed. As we welcome the new year and our continued progress towards our goals, we here at the LG most assuredly will never forget those who got us to where we are.

As we continue to strive towards the achievement of our LG goals, let it be known that "PLATINUM" (fill name here) has been a pivotal part of our success and words alone can never express the gratitude we feel for your contributions.

Please fill your desk belongings to the box provided and print out this letter with coupon code TK421 to redeem your LG 'Appreciation Stuffed Bear' at the front desk. Also leave your access badge and ID with security on your way out.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Yea, something like that (with a little less smarm) would have been perfect
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject:

What you could of said is this!

“Yeah. Thanks for telling us. I was expecting a check. Instead I got enrolled in a jelly club. 17 years with the company. I've gotten a Christmas bonus every year but this one. You don't want to give bonuses, fine. But when people count on them as their salary, well what you did just plain sucks!”

DaMuleRules, 2 Sept 2017
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject:

RJBaca wrote:
What you could of said is this!

“Yeah. Thanks for telling us. I was expecting a check. Instead I got enrolled in a jelly club. 17 years with the company. I've gotten a Christmas bonus every year but this one. You don't want to give bonuses, fine. But when people count on them as their salary, well what you did just plain sucks!”

Lol. "The gift that keeps on giving"
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject:

From what you shared, I think your company handled the situation poorly. Being in management, the biggest and most common complaint is the lack of communication downward. Management is trusted and empowered to make decisions, whatever they may be... fine. Just, especially in obvious uncomfortable/unstable times, give some sort of explanation.

How about something like... "Due to these obvious trying times we regret that we are not able to share with you a token of appreciation in the form of the traditional bonus. While we unfortunately fall short in this capacity, please do not let it be confused as a reflection of our appreciation for what you all mean to our organization. Please receive our warmest thanks and well wishes for you and your families this Holiday Season."
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
From what you shared, I think your company handled the situation poorly. Being in management, the biggest and most common complaint is the lack of communication downward. Management is trusted and empowered to make decisions, whatever they may be... fine. Just, especially in obvious uncomfortable/unstable times, give some sort of explanation.

How about something like... "Due to these obvious trying times we regret that we are not able to share with you a token of appreciation in the form of the traditional bonus. While we unfortunately fall short in this capacity, please do not let it be confused as a reflection of our appreciation for what you all mean to our organization. Please receive our warmest thanks and well wishes for you and your families this Holiday Season."

How hard is that? The poster above probably banged that out in half a minute. I guess employee morale is not a high priority at that organization. Not sure why my text is big
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks again for the input, LG.
The plot thickens.... as I have just been informed that a new round of layoffs are taking place this weekend. I am losing an employee from my office. Someone whom I personally recruited, hired and developed. Resume is being polished and updated as I type this. smh.
Some of you even called this. And yes, the xmas bonus now seems meaningless at this moment.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject:

Use your sick days, they are giving them to you to use...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject:

I got one for the first time in my career with this job(but its not much of one still better than nothing). My previous job I was unexpectedly laid off (along with 15 other people with no warning)but never received a bonus from them ever after reading this post I should've seen it coming.

That being said I have always kept my options open so the rug doesn't get pulled from under me again.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject:

I don't blame you for being a bit upset, but i would be more concerned with my job security if i were you. I'd hone my skills and update my resume, just in case.

updated - beat me to it.

Last edited by Goldenwest on Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Never had one
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Did you inform them that the Trump tax cut should guarantee you a $1,000 - $4,000 bounus?
excellent reply.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: