Flu and Flu Shots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Flu and Flu Shots

I have been fighting a horrible flu for the last several days and am suffering big time.

I have always avoided flu shots because I feel like they get you sick. But after this, I am re-considering that stance.

Has anyone else been hit with this and do you guys do flu shots and if so do you find them effective?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject:

I’ve started with flu shots the past 3 years. I haven’t gotten the flu since. But I have caught some really bad head colds each of those years where it feels draining like that caused by allergies. Just need to sleep.

Hard for me to recommend them and I wouldn’t deter you from them.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Flu and Flu Shots

LakerLanny wrote:
I have been fighting a horrible flu for the last several days and am suffering big time.

I have always avoided flu shots because I feel like they get you sick. But after this, I am re-considering that stance.

Has anyone else been hit with this and do you guys do flu shots and if so do you find them effective?

You still get flu even with flu shot but it’ lasts way less and isn’t as intense. I got the flu last week but it never crippled me. I was down for a day.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Flu shot is like wearing a seat belt. The flu is a very bad car accident. Accidents don't happen often, but when it does, you're gonna wish you had a seat belt on. You will feel the effects, but you won't go flying through the windshield.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject:

I have a slightly compromised immune system due to medicine I have to take, so I'm required by my doctor to take flu shots (the flu otherwise could be rather serious). Even with my (bleep) immune system I didn't have any symptoms from the shot.

I'd say just go for it. It doesn't hurt.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject:

Flu shots cover most strains but not all. Taking preventative measures is still the best way to avoid the flu(wash hands, cover your mouth nose, avoiding contact with sick people, avoid touching your eyes/mouth/nose).
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject:

Money is probably o e of the biggest vectors for passing disease. Especially paper money.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject:

You don't get sick from the flu shot. Period. Extensively studied & validated. That said, it's not uncommon for people to get sick soon after being vaccinated. It takes time for the immune response that the vaccination triggers, and if you catch it soon after (or soon before, and before you are symptomatic), it may be too late for the vaccine to work. It IS flu season when people usually get vaccinated, after all. Another common occurrence is rhinovirus mistaken for the flu.

One unfortunate aspect of the vaccine is that the virus is a fast-evolving organism. Effectively every year there's a different species of virus going around, making the previous year's vaccine ineffective. So they need to formulate a new vaccine each year, and those take time to make in the quantities needed. So at the start of the process they need to make an educated forecast of the strain(s) that will be prevalent the following flu season. Usually they get it pretty spot-on, and the vaccine is very effective against that year's strains. Sometimes the virus acts in a less predictable manner, and the vaccine that year is somewhat less effective. But even in the bad years it's way better protection than not being vaccinated.

One thing to keep in mind when weighing whether to get the vaccine is that in addition to protecting yourself, you're also preventing yourself from being a vector to expose the virus to others. The virus is responsible for about 55,000 deaths per year (source), and hits the very young, very old and the immunocompromised especially hard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject:

get the shot.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject:

My Dad was sick on X-mas with a cold/flu. Since then, everyone in the family has been getting sick. I was one of the last to get it. I have what feels like a sinus headache and some neck pain, but that's all.
But my son has it pretty bad and has one of the worst coughs ever, poor kid can barely get any sleep.

Never taken the shot as my immune system is pretty strong. But I have been getting colds more frequently though. Maybe I should re-consider.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject:

I have gotten flu shots the past 5-6 years and haven’t gotten the flu. Good reminder, I need to get one this year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Didn't get flu shot for the past 3 years. Got it this year. Get it.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject:

There are *many* strains of the flu. A flu shot only has a segment of the flu and not the full virus. Your immune system only needs to recognize that part of the flu virus for an immune response. So no, you cannot get a flu from the vaccine. You can get a few side effects, but they are usually minor, unless you are allergic to egg. Starting in a few years (maybe even next year?), they have set up a technique that does not need egg to incubate it.

Here is how they determine what is in the flu shot which you could use to figure out your chances of getting the flu:

Scientists see X number of strains coming from Asia (pigs mostly). The flu progression can be seen growing from specific regions. They take the top 3 and sometimes 4 strains based upon certain criteria. The most common, the most lethal, etc. They will sometimes toss in a dark horse candidate for the fourth.

It’s a game of odds as some years even thought you get flu shot, could be a miss for that year. They were worried abou a pandemic a few years ago with a full miss on the flu shot.

But folks who had shots from previous years would have a better chance of fighting it off quickly as it was a close match to it.

So usually, the flu shot, over time, will accumulate the total number of strains that you will be resistant to.

Finally, as we all know, like all vaccines, sooner or later, your immunity will run out but usually that is many years down the line.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I forgot to mention. I got the a bad strain when I was almost 30.

104 degree fever. Getting chills instead of sweating. Brian colored phlegm.

Emergency room. Don’t want to experience that again!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I haven't had a flu shot in the last 30+ years and I can't recall ever having the flu...
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject:

I am sold, I am getting the shot next year. No way do I want to go through this experience again any time soon, horrid.

Thanks for the replies everyone and stay healthy....
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Haven’t had the shot in my adult life other than one year where I did it at my kid’s pediatrician to show my son it was no big deal. Only had the flu once in that 35 years. But your mileage may vary. And no, I’m not an anti-vaxer, quite the opposite.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I stopped taking the flu shot for 10 years and stopped being around children (my mom would babysit) and I never got sick. Fast-forward. Got kids, they got sick, I got sick. Decided to start taking the flu shot. Still got sick.

Moral of story whether you get the flu shot or not you're going to get sick if you are exposed to infected individuals. The flu shot is to prevent it from getting it that bad (if your vaccine mutation matches the flu you get).

The best thing to do is to wash your hands and be wary of those who are sick.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject:

Please always cough into your shirt and not on your hands or sleeves or to the sides. The vapors carry the virus, and it’s flat out rude or ignorant to do it otherwise.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I haven't had a flu shot in the last 30+ years and I can't recall ever having the flu...

I’d get it anyway. One thing that really motivates me to get them is I caught a nasty flu over 10 years ago and I was miserable. Those were some of the worst days of my life. Since then I’ve been getting my shots.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject:

The flu shot lowers your chances of catching the flu. It doesn’t prevent 100% of diseases from infecting you, so I think people have vastly unrealistic expectations when they complain about catching a cold or flu after getting a shot.

Is it worth it to spend a little time to lower your chances of catching a flu and being miserable? Absolutely!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: