LA Call of Duty Swatter leads to death of an innocent father
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: LA Call of Duty Swatter leads to death of an innocent father

http://abc7.com/la-man-arrested-in-connection-to-fatal-kansas-swatting-incident/2840369/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/unarmed-kan-man-killed-cops-victim-swatting-prank-article-1.3726171

Quote:
Authorities arrested a man in South Los Angeles in connection to a swatting incident that led to a Kansas man's death.

Tyler Barriss, 25, was arrested Friday on suspicion of making a hoax phone call to police in Wichita, Kansas.

Authorities in Wichita said someone made a prank call to 911 with a made-up story about a shooting and kidnapping. That call resulted in the death of an innocent man relatives identified as Andrew Finch, 28.

The hoax phone call was a case of swatting, authorities said, in which a person creates a false story to get a SWAT response to an address.

Authorities released the 911 recording in which a man said his father had been shot in the head. The caller said the man was holding him, his mother and a sibling at gunpoint and that that man threatened to light the house on fire.

When police headed to the home, they surrounded it and prepared to deal with a hostage situation. Finch answered the door and followed instructions to put up his hands and move slowly. But at some point, authorities said he moved toward his waistband and officers fired a single shot in fear Finch may have reached for a gun.

Authorities said Finch died at the hospital and that he was unarmed.

The police and FBI were investigating whether the hoax call stemmed from an argument over an online game.

Bad enough this is an incident over a (bleep) game (COD), but now two children will be without their father in the new year because a repeat offender went rage quit and swatted a random address. I hope Barriss gets his in prison real soon.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject:

4Chan will out this kid soon. little pos will get his comeuppance.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject:

read that he is arrested already

Insane the levels of insanity these players will allow from each other..

And he was busted for a few other fake threats before this

When will we be able to identify what is going on in the deeper parts of kids minds before it is too late?

FWIW.. the police force as a whole really needs a lot of retraining..
do they leave the station saying

"Lets go bash some skulls"
or
"Lets go save someone"

"Cops hate kids
Kids hate cops
Cops kill kids with warning shots
What is crime and what is not
What is justice? I think I forgot"
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject:

Typical trigger happy cops, it is so far past ridiculous at this point.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject:

The douchebag who called in the SWAT is clearly someone who needs to be punished with some severe prison time so he can understand the ramifications of his passive-aggresive cowardice.

But more importantly, the law enforcement officials involved in taking a random, anonymous report from a remote location and trying it into a SWAT assault with absolutely no attempt to verify the circumstances and thus opening fire on an innocent hone owner is the real crime here.

The officers involved, from the the supervising officer to the shooter himself need to removed from duty, fired and should never carry a badge again.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Kid needs to be punished to the maximum extent of hte law. With that said, I don't know if you guys seen the video but Lanny is 100% correct.

Another trigger happy cop. These dudes were 50 yards away in full body armor hiding behind their vehicles and the guy came out iwth his hands up. Wth more can he do?

Don't give me that duress bull. We're sending in teenagers into gd WARZONES with stricter rules of engagement and harsher penalties for breaking them.

This worthless cop is going to get a paid vacation. Nothing to see here...he was following procedure. You know, murdering a civilian.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

This.

I get that the guy should be charged with a federal crime for making the phony call, but why are swat busting down people's doors and shooting them as soon as they "reach for their waistband." Frigging ridiculous.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Kid needs to be punished to the maximum extent of hte law. With that said, I don't know if you guys seen the video but Lanny is 100% correct.

Another trigger happy cop. These dudes were 50 yards away in full body armor hiding behind their vehicles and the guy came out iwth his hands up. Wth more can he do?

Don't give me that duress bull. We're sending in teenagers into gd WARZONES with stricter rules of engagement and harsher penalties for breaking them.

This worthless cop is going to get a paid vacation. Nothing to see here...he was following procedure. You know, murdering a civilian.

Anyone who can't handle such a non-threatening situation and describes it as one of "duress" has no business carrying a badge, much less wielding a weapon.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject:

https://tinyurl.com/y7yg3b6r

Guy is literally a pinhead.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject:

This "kid" is 25. How old is adulthood these days? And yes he looks like he belongs in the cast of Idiocracy.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject:

ExPatLkrFan wrote:
This "kid" is 25. How old is adulthood these days? And yes he looks like he belongs in the cast of Idiocracy.

He ain't gonna be a kid in court, that's for sure. He's old enough to rent a car now without the youth fees.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Says someone who wasn’t there and has never been there. Some really bad choices. Why would you give your address or even your name to an online gamer? Why subject your family to some person you don’t know? I like going online and playing COD but I guarantee no one knows who I am or where I live.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Says someone who wasn’t there and has never been there. Some really bad choices. Why would you give your address or even your name to an online gamer? Why subject your family to some person you don’t know? I like going online and playing COD but I guarantee no one knows who I am or where I live.

The guy had a history of calling in fake threats. I think he called in a fake bomb threat back in 2015 to the local ABC7 station in LA. Hopefully, they extradite him to Kansas and face a jury over there.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Have you even read the articles? The victim wasn't even a video game player. One of the gamers in the argument just picked a random address with no indication of any name. Or is this more of your typical make-(bleep)-up-as-you-go?

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB

Last edited by rwongega on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

The guy had a history of calling in fake threats. I think he called in a fake bomb threat back in 2015 to the local ABC7 station in LA. Hopefully, they extradite him to Kansas and face a jury over there.

And lock him up for a long time
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

All this is pointless anyways as anyone could do this to you with a little internet know how without getting your personal data. This is almost like telling a girl how she should dress to avoid getting raped.

Also for some people streaming games online is their source of income(a very good source).

https://www.twitch.tv/
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Clean kill, right soldier?

If that was your neighbor they just murdered you'd be thinking differently

The whole nationwide police force should use this moment to train in how not to be hysterical because the scene supposedly is

They arrive and nothing seemed amiss? The story was that a man at that address shot his father in the head and has the rest of his family tied up in a closet....but the people at the door are just as dumbfounded as you or I would be if SWAT showed up
??

Were they upset that there was supposed to be blood on the scene and there wasn't any?

Didnt they get the slightest feeling they may be at the WRONG ADDRESS OR???
That something just isn't adding up to
Quote:

, man claiming he had shot his father in the head and was holding the rest of his family in a closet at gunpoint

At least they all get to go home /blue line
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Have you even read the articles? The victim wasn't even a video game player. One of the gamers in the argument just picked a random address with no indication of any name. Or is this more of your typical make-(bleep)-up-as-you-go?

I did but must have skimmed them and missed that. That makes it even more dangerous to do that to a random person. Doe that happen a lot?
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
rwongega wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I did but must have skimmed them and missed that. That makes it even more dangerous to do that to a random person. Doe that happen a lot?

More often than people realize. All one needs is an address and it's incredibly easy thanks to google maps. And when you call 911, you can easily spoof locations and sometimes you don't even need to if you just give a location.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

No, I wan't there...you are right about that.

But when you have an entire swat team on scene in body armor and are in NO imminent danger, it is ridiculous to unload on someone.

It is akin to a hunter shooting anything that moves in the forest. Any one who has ever hunted knows you don't do that, you have to know what and why you are shooting.

As far as I am concerned, not only should the cop that shot him be removed from the force immediately, but he should be charged with manslaughter as well.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

No, I wan't there...you are right about that.

But when you have an entire swat team on scene in body armor and are in NO imminent danger, it is ridiculous to unload on someone.

It is akin to a hunter shooting anything that moves in the forest. Any one who has ever hunted knows you don't do that, you have to know what and why you are shooting.

As far as I am concerned, not only should the cop that shot him be removed from the force immediately, but he should be charged with manslaughter as well.

Won't happen in America.. too cowardly to actually fix real problems in our country..

Just like the guy they shot in the hallway

Why don't they cuff people out of convenience unless they just like to taunt and torture and then kill them?

Did the cops even trace the call
Did the SWAT team even make a call to the home to see if everything was alright

NO>. they murdered someone because... poor training?

I do have a solution to these cases I thought up awhile ago

Take all the fines out of the commanding officers pay and the chiefs pay etc.. NOT the city and the good people who live there

might stop some of this abuse of power when power is who gets punished
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Dude, educate yourself on what actually happened before you spout off. The address wasn’t supplied by the victim, and the victim was an unarmed third party shot by an incompetent, trigger-happy coward who had no business being on the job.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject:

What bothers me is he only "made a move toward his waist." I don't know SWAT procedure. It would make sense to actually see a weapon before firing. I assume there were many guns trained on a man following instructions. Where was the imminent danger?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What bothers me is he only "made a move toward his waist." I don't know SWAT procedure. It would make sense to actually see a weapon before firing. I assume there were many guns trained on a man following instructions. Where was the imminent danger?

There was a SWAT team handling the situation. There should have been no officers in imminent danger if they were at all competent because they should have all been positioned in a place of cover. A person simply opening their door door as directed doesn’t present a threat by reaching for their waist, armed or not.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

The individual police officer, while obviously guilty of being trigger happy, is a symptom rather than the actual problem in my opinion. We have turned our police forces into military weapons and then act outraged when they act like a weapon. I have a few questions.
In what universe does it make sense to send a swat unit to anyone's house based on an unverified report?
Will this subhuman gamer be charged with murder? Depraved indifference is a defensible position in this case imo.
He is also a repeat offender. Why wasn't he sufficiently discouraged before it came to this end?
Did the cop who pulled the trigger do so in a way that was contrary to his training?
Can we please start to look at the rules of engagement that our police forces operate under? Someone made the comment that the rules of engagement for our military personnel are more stringent that that of our civilian "protectors." That should scare the crap out of any rational person.
This is a systemic problem folks. You absolutely must attack it at its source, which is a policy that puts an unarmed citizen in the sites of an itchy-fingered public employee.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: