Are we really that dependant on Lonzo?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersNewEra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Are we really that dependant on Lonzo?

Man, this team started to look like a well oiled machine atter the game vs Rockets and then Warriors. We were really firing on all cylinders, KD praised us, said it will be really hard to beat us in the future and then suddenly just like that...we lost multiple games in a row and we look horrible. The only thing that has really changed is that Lonzo isnt playing and we dont look half as good.

I mean, is that really all that there is to it? Is it just Lonzo's presence we miss because that would be pretty insane impact by just one player to mean so much to a team.
Admittedly I was his biggest critic at the beginning of the season but very possible I was wrong even though I still think he needs to shoot bt thats beside the point here.

What the heck happened to us the last few weeks? Did Kuzma hit the rookie wall or does he especially benefit from Lonzo's presence as he needs to be set up for his points? I mean what the heck happened...someone tell me. How do we go from looking amazing to looking like a G league team...
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject:

There’s multiple issues with this team...

Walton isn’t a great coach
The roster sucks, we have actual G league players on the court
And Lonzo’s absence definitely hurts as well.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject:

A real PG is needed ASAP, be it Lonzo or someone else.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject:

Lonzo?

He would have been blown away as a well. Without players around him,
He's just another victim...
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
There’s multiple issues with this team...

Walton isn’t a great coach
The roster sucks, we have actual G league players on the court
And Lonzo’s absence definitely hurts as well.

nailed
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

The team has one NBA PG on its entire roster and it's a 20-year-old rookie. The Lakers could replace Ball with Wall and have a better record or with DSJ and have a worse record, but if Wall or DSJ went down, the effect would be the same.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
I'm tired of blaming coaching, it's clearly a roster issue, was with Byron is with Luke. The front office keeps kicking the can down the road with free agency and the young guys have no veteran leadership.

I agree. Perfect coaching (which would come as much from the assistants as anything, in our case) would maybe give us 4-5 extra wins AT BEST.

It's the roster.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

I agree. Perfect coaching (which would come as much from the assistants as anything, in our case) would maybe give us 4-5 extra wins AT BEST.

It's the roster.

yes it is... Luke looked like the next coming of Phil in GS when he coached a few years back... didn't he go something crazy like 40-3 or something? Hell when you have Steph Curry raining down 3s it makes anyone look like a great coach right?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

It's the roster.

yes it is... Luke looked like the next coming of Phil in GS when he coached a few years back... didn't he go something crazy like 40-3 or something? Hell when you have Steph Curry raining down 3s it makes anyone look like a great coach right?

Too lazy to look up who they were but I'm sure he had good assistants there too. But yeah I see Luke as being a good players coach like Lue who can win when he has talent and good assistants around him. But his teams likely won't outperform.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:

Yeah it’s mainly the roster. No one on the team can even hit 2 freethrows consistently. That sums it up alone.

Record is usually decided by talent... that’s what wins games. There are few exceptions sometimes. Boston is definitely overachieving thanks to Stevens.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

Yeah it’s mainly the roster. No one on the team can even hit 2 freethrows consistently. That sums it up alone.

Record is usually decided by talent... that’s what wins games. There are few exceptions sometimes. Boston is definitely overachieving thanks to Stevens.

but Boston has much more talent than the Lakers, look at their roster they have at least 2 all stars in Kyrie and Hortford, then they don't have this trade cloud over everyone's head like Lakers do over Randle and Clarkson. Also playing in the East doesn't hurt, look at the crazy schedule the Lakers played in December. Danny Ainge has done a masterful job with this team, from good draft picks to great free agent signings and finally some bold trades especailly for Kyrie. What has our front office done so far? We are still waiting...
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
BizLA wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

but Boston has much more talent than the Lakers, look at their roster they have at least 2 all stars in Kyrie and Hortford, then they don't have this trade cloud over everyone's head like Lakers do over Randle and Clarkson. Also playing in the East doesn't hurt, look at the crazy schedule the Lakers played in December.

True but still no one expected Boston to have this good of a record after the Hayward injury. They definitely are a lot more talented than the Lakers for sure. You know your team has major issues when your best players are 20 yrs old and rookies/2nd year guys..
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

It's the roster.

You guys ever wonder if it might be a combination of both as opposed to either or?
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

It's the roster.

You guys ever wonder if it might be a combination of both as opposed to either or?

Well it's almost certainly a combination of both. But the roster is by far the main culprit.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:

It's the roster.

Well it's almost certainly a combination of both. But the roster is by far the main culprit.

Coaching a bad team sucks. The roster sucks, coaches aren’t perfect
they relay on execution.

The blame game is old.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

We're reliant on talent. This roster sucks. With Lonzo, it's better.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject:

Cap space better be good next summer.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Cap space, FTW
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Can he hit more than 80% of his free throws?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

If Lonzo comes back and the team does better, OP's mind may explode.
/Waits in expectation
LakersDC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

I'd say it shows how weak we are at the backup point. No disrespect to Ennis, but he just isn't good enough and JC def ain't a a PG. Even with an old vet PG like Calderon or Jack, we'd be much better. We have no depth at PG.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Are we really that dependant on Lonzo?

LakersNewEra wrote:
Man, this team started to look like a well oiled machine atter the game vs Rockets and then Warriors. We were really firing on all cylinders, KD praised us, said it will be really hard to beat us in the future and then suddenly just like that...we lost multiple games in a row and we look horrible. The only thing that has really changed is that Lonzo isnt playing and we dont look half as good.

I mean, is that really all that there is to it? Is it just Lonzo's presence we miss because that would be pretty insane impact by just one player to mean so much to a team.
Admittedly I was his biggest critic at the beginning of the season but very possible I was wrong even though I still think he needs to shoot bt thats beside the point here.

What the heck happened to us the last few weeks? Did Kuzma hit the rookie wall or does he especially benefit from Lonzo's presence as he needs to be set up for his points? I mean what the heck happened...someone tell me. How do we go from looking amazing to looking like a G league team...

1) It isn't all Lonzo. I'm concerned that a few guys have basically quit on this team and are just going through the motions. If that's true, Lonzo can't fix that.

2) Been trying to tell you that Lonzo is pretty good.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Are we really that dependant on Lonzo?

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakersNewEra wrote:

1) It isn't all Lonzo. I'm concerned that a few guys have basically quit on this team and are just going through the motions. If that's true, Lonzo can't fix that.

2) Been trying to tell you that Lonzo is pretty good.

This is true and it’s why moves have to happen soonest. Never a good situation to have players on the roster who have quit on the team/organization whatever the reason is...time to move on.
ingle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

We are such a dumb team collectively that when our floor general goes out the team dissolves into playing 2k MyTeam type ball.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: