College football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Just because a school is in a major media market does not mean that it draws TV ratings. This is the issue with U of H. It may be located in Houston, but the TV market is dominated by Texas, TAMU, LSU, and Alabama. I expect that the same is true for UCF, with Florida, FSU, Miami, and probably a few others dominating the TV market.

TV markets aren’t relevant to college sports. Many of the biggest national TV draws are located in college towns. Otherwise, Rice would have gone to the SEC instead of TAMU. (Yeah, I couldn’t resist. We usually get on TV once a year when we play our paycheck game against a big program.)

It warms my heart to see someone that has often been....uhhh suspicious of the "big boys" motives for their actions lunge for their talking points so quickly. Houston is different in that the Houston TV market is already dominated by the Big12.

More importantly it is the "chicken & egg" game....interest and relevance in both UCF & USF football has been growing rapidly....but would greatly spike among their legions of alumni if they were in a Power 5 conference. It is simple...while Tulsa @ UCF may not sell out.....Oklahoma State @ UCF will sell out their stadium every time. These two schools have not played football for very long, but both are already establishing themselves as Top 25ish (Top 40) programs while playing outside of the Power 5. I recall when many strummed your same line about TCU & Utah's success being related to their schedule and playing outside the BCS Conferences....but they have both proven beyond a doubt they belong. Let's not forget that when USF was a member of the Big East (BCS Conference), they climbed all the way to being ranked #2 in the country.

Finally, the beauty of taking both UCF and USF is first, they already have a pure hate based rivalry....which is always great for any conference and television......and 2nd, you not only get the 11th and 18th largest TV markets in the country, but they actually bump up against one another which presents an argument that your actually getting a mega market of the entire I-4 Corridor (when combined) that would rank right around 3rd in the country behind NY & LA. Footprint is important as it relates to the TV markets....because once there, brand can be built. The Big10 knew that they were not conquering the NYC (#1) market when they added Rutgers, but they understood that having residence there would allow them to court that market and build within it.

The last time the Big 12 sat on their hands was related to Louisville, who was begging for entry into the Big-12. While the Big 12 set around and debated what Louisville would add, the ACC scooped them up. Beyond the current basketball scandal, few would argue that U of L has not added to the ACC strength as an athletic conference. The Big 12 has to think bigger, and not just about today and next week....I would fully support them expanding the 14 and choosing UCF, USF, Houston and Memphis (or Cincinnati). I know BYU has been discussed, but I still feel it belongs in the PAC12 (or PAC14).

Just agree with me....you know my position is solid.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Okay, here is what I interpret Arizona to be saying:

1. There was a sexual harassment allegation.

2. We investigated it, hiring an outside firm.

3. The allegations could not be substantiated.

4. The woman said that she was going to sue us.

5. We decided to fire Rodriguez because of concerns about the "direction and climate" of the program.

Er . . . okay. This could be interpreted several ways, but two possibilities jump out at me as an employment lawyer. First, the university may know that things are about to get ugly. Outside investigations are usually a sham designed to protect the employer from liability. These investigations are one of the biggest jokes I've seen over the last 10+ years. I don't think I've ever seen an outside investigation that found substantiation for harassment allegations. When I see the university whining that the woman did not participate in the investigation and did not provide corroborating documentation, what I hear is "This woman did not participate in helping us build a defense!" The university may know that the woman has the goods on Rodriguez (usually texts and the like). So they cut Rodriguez loose with a PR smokescreen.

Second, the university may already have decided that it wanted to fire Rodriguez for football-related reasons, but it did not want to give the woman a freebie in her inevitable lawsuit by making firing look like an admission of guilt. Instead, they got an investigation completed, declared themselves innocent, and then fired Rodriguez for "other reasons."
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Just because a school is in a major media market does not mean that it draws TV ratings. This is the issue with U of H. It may be located in Houston, but the TV market is dominated by Texas, TAMU, LSU, and Alabama. I expect that the same is true for UCF, with Florida, FSU, Miami, and probably a few others dominating the TV market.

TV markets aren’t relevant to college sports. Many of the biggest national TV draws are located in college towns. Otherwise, Rice would have gone to the SEC instead of TAMU. (Yeah, I couldn’t resist. We usually get on TV once a year when we play our paycheck game against a big program.)

Yep, college sports is different. Most of the schools with big time following are older prestigious schools with a long history in those particular sports. Its nice if they are in a big market, but that isn't exactly a determining factor. Texas has the Longhorn network and they are in the 39th media market. But they are probably the most prestigious state school in Texas.

The I-4 Corridor (from Tampa to Daytona Beach) is ripe for market growth. It already is a college football fanatical region that has had to reach outside its region to fulfill that thirst (UF - about 2 hours from Orlando and Tampa, FSU - about 4 hours from Orlando and Tampa, and Miami - about 4 hours from Orlando and Tampa). It would be like selling water in a desert. Orlando and Tampa hosts 5 college bowl games between them with no Power 5 college football team in the region.

In regards to the Longhorn network...without getting into the weeds...that thing needs to go, and be replaced by the Big12 Network. The Longhorn Network has lost over $60 Million in it's first 6 years....there simply is not enough quality content available from any one single university....even Texas. The Big 12 is the only Power 5 conference without a conference network, and expanding to the Central Florida market would go a long way in making it viable.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Okay, here is what I interpret Arizona to be saying:

1. There was a sexual harassment allegation.

2. We investigated it, hiring an outside firm.

3. The allegations could not be substantiated.

4. The woman said that she was going to sue us.

5. We decided to fire Rodriguez because of concerns about the "direction and climate" of the program.

Er . . . okay. This could be interpreted several ways, but two possibilities jump out at me as an employment lawyer. First, the university may know that things are about to get ugly. Outside investigations are usually a sham designed to protect the employer from liability. These investigations are one of the biggest jokes I've seen over the last 10+ years. I don't think I've ever seen an outside investigation that found substantiation for harassment allegations. When I see the university whining that the woman did not participate in the investigation and did not provide corroborating documentation, what I hear is "This woman did not participate in helping us build a defense!" The university may know that the woman has the goods on Rodriguez (usually texts and the like). So they cut Rodriguez loose with a PR smokescreen.

Second, the university may already have decided that it wanted to fire Rodriguez for football-related reasons, but it did not want to give the woman a freebie in her inevitable lawsuit by making firing look like an admission of guilt. Instead, they got an investigation completed, declared themselves innocent, and then fired Rodriguez for "other reasons."

all I know is if it turns out that Rodriguez did not do anything that would be considered major or gross misconduct after we learn the details.....and that is a big "if"....but if it appears to be minor or even nothing.....I would be more than open to bringing him back home. He left on terrible terms....but I think the guy is an offensive genius.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Baker Mayfield told to humble himself

Hear, hear.

nah, Baker has irritated me on occasion....but I would advise him not to change a thing....his passion and competitive spirit is what makes him special, and is good for football overall.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Baker Mayfield told to humble himself

Hear, hear.

nah, Baker has irritated me on occasion....but I would advise him not to change a thing....his passion and competitive spirit is what makes him special, and is good for football overall.

There are a TON of passionate and competitive people in sports who manage to be so without being arrogant douchebags.

Those people are good for the sports they participate in. The Baker Mayfields of the world are just ugly and detract from what is good about sports, and more importantly, sportsmanship.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
It warms my heart to see someone that has often been....uhhh suspicious of the "big boys" motives for their actions lunge for their talking points so quickly. Houston is different in that the Houston TV market is already dominated by the Big12.

Huh? Of course I'm suspicious of the big schools. They're in it for the money. UT and OU do not like being hitched to a bunch of low revenue schools, and they would bail on the Big 12 if the option presented itself. UT keeps flirting with the Pac 12. OU is rumored to be eyeing the Big 10, where it would be back in a division with Nebraska. Kansas is also eyeing the Big 10, which would be a perfect fit. It's a conference with a lot of schools that are good in basketball and bad in football.

adkindo wrote:
I know BYU has been discussed, but I still feel it belongs in the PAC12 (or PAC14).

When this came up a year ago, it reportedly came down to BYU, Cincinnati, and Houston. There was a lot of political opposition to BYU, but there is something else going on there. When BYU fell through, you could sense the momentum for expansion hitting the skids. There were a number of other schools considered, including UCF, USF, and Rice (though I cannot imagine why).
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Imagine teams like USC, Wisconsin and Ohio State playing the UCF schedule. They would look much better than they are, and the starters would get a lot more rest when they blow those teams out. I would expect UCF to suffer more injuries trying to play in a big conference. The second best team in their conference was Memphis, who barely beat UCLA in a home game. UCLA had no shot at winning the PAC-12. Utah always seems like a big underdog to win the conference every year since they moved over from the Mountain West.

In a straight up money bet...I would definitely take UCF over Wisconsin. I would not be as confident against USC and Ohio State. Sure Wisconsin plays in a major conference....but had about the weakest schedule one could have as a Power 5 team.....they defeated exactly one team that was ranked in the last CFP ranking, and that was Northwestern....and that required a 2nd half comeback. Beyond that, let's not forget that "strength of schedule" always includes human persuasion. Sure computers do the math, but it always requires an initial starting point....which always favors the old established programs which the Big10 is full of.

This years UCF team could competently compete with any team in the country....not saying they would beat everyone of them, but they would not be embarrassed by anyone. In regards to Utah, are they bigger underdogs to win the PAC12 annually that 75% of the conference....they have been as competitive on the field as most (more than some) teams in the conference....and Utah is clearly down from the Urban Meyer / early Kyle Whittingham years...and that is not because of their strength of schedule alone.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
UT and OU do not like being hitched to a bunch of low revenue schools, and they would bail on the Big 12 if the option presented itself.

maybe they do next time...but they both had the chance and decided to remain in the Big12. I have doubts about either leaving. In regards to Oklahoma, there are many that doubt they will be able to go anywhere without Oklahoma State.....and T. Boone Pickens has made it clear he will do whatever it takes to ensure OK does not leave OK State in a poor position. Some may laugh....but who wants to be on the opposite side of Pickens (and his people) in the state of Oklahoma? Does it matter enough? Not sure...but it matters.

Also, I have doubts that Texas ever goes to a conference where they are not "special"...and I think most of their PAC12 flirting is more to ensure they continue to get "special" treatment from the Big12 than it is related to any desire for the PAC12. Occam's razor. Texas makes zero sense in the PAC12....zero. They will have a hard time getting in to the SEC (Texas A&M), and the Big10 makes zero sense. I have said for years and will continue to say....Oklahoma should have the most leverage in the Big12....and I would call Texas's bluff in a heartbeat. Their only real option in my opinion is to go Independent.....good luck with that.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject:

Rosen and Darnold are both going to the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21953216/josh-rosen-ucla-bruins-sam-darnold-usc-trojans-entering-nfl-draft
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Rosen and Darnold are both going to the NFL.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21953216/josh-rosen-ucla-bruins-sam-darnold-usc-trojans-entering-nfl-draft

if there was a guarantee he would remain healthy, think Darnold could have used another year in college....but given there is no such guarantee....he needs to go get paid.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

Louisville QB Lamar Jackson declares for NFL draft

Quote:
Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson has declared for the NFL draft after a record-setting college career that included the 2016 Heisman Trophy.

LINK
Huskers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

If I'm an NFL GM, I don't take Darnold, Rosen or Jackson. Watching all with no rooting interest, none impressed me. Rosen was actually disappointing to watch the few times I watched him.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:
If I'm an NFL GM, I don't take Darnold, Rosen or Jackson. Watching all with no rooting interest, none impressed me. Rosen was actually disappointing to watch the few times I watched him.

I assume you mean with a top draft pick?

I hope GM's do not agree with you....I need Rosen and Darnold to go at the top to push some guys down to #7. Really hoping Minkah Fitzpatrick (DB, Alabama) or Bradley Chubb (DE, North Carolina State) fall to #7.

USA Today released their first Mock, and they have:

Browns - Darnold
Giants - Rosen
Colts - Barkley
Browns - Fitzpatrick
Broncos - Quenton Nelson (Will Broncos pass on Mayfield?)
Jets - Baker Mayfield
Bucs - Bradley Chubb
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

Huskers wrote:

Rosen is probably the most NFL ready of that draft class.....but honestly, I don't see any franchise changing QB's in this draft.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

Mock drafts won't mean much until after the combine.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Huskers wrote:

Rosen is probably the most NFL ready of that draft class.....but honestly, I don't see any franchise changing QB's in this draft.

Because of the level of hype surrounding this year's QB class, many tend to be over-scrutinized.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010127134800/http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/events/1998/nfldraft/topplayers/4.html

Both are definitely franchise changing QB's though IMO. You're gonna get a guy who, if developed and supported properly, will develop into something great. I actually think this is a better QB draft than the 2016 one and you've already got 2 franchise ones there. The question is, do you want the more developed NFL ready yet less mobile one or the more mobile but questionable decision maker one? (eerily kinda reminds me of the Manning-Leaf debate)

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I would say the Pro Days have become much more important for these top of the draft skill players....especially QB's. Not even sure Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield will even do much at combine.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject:

Was listening to ESPNU Radio a couple days ago....and they had one of the Vegas guys on....think he is over the Westgate book or something....but they were just talking about the CF Playoffs, and he was explaining to the host why Vegas still considers the SEC the dominant football conference by a large margin. He explained that if you took all the P5 Conferences and matched up their #1 vs. #1, #2 vs. #2, etc. (example Alabama vs. Ohio State & Georgia vs. Wisconsin, etc.) all the way through the top 10 teams....SEC would be favored in a minimum of 8 out of the 10 games with any conference.

Got me to thinking....why do we not include Vegas in ranking teams for the playoffs. I think most accept that Vegas is less bias than any other human source....and pretty damn good with projections.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I would say the Pro Days have become much more important for these top of the draft skill players....especially QB's. Not even sure Darnold, Rosen or Mayfield will even do much at combine.

It's part of the same process. Every year, guys rise and fall based on their combine performance. I won't be surprised if the kid from Montana is the next Carson Wentz.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

so far, Alabama defense is dominating Georgia at the line of scrimmage.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Not scoring a TD there will cost Georgia, I think. How many chances will they get like that?
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Not scoring a TD there will cost Georgia, I think. How many chances will they get like that?

I stand corrected.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

All Dawgs so far!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

When you bench your starting QB in the 2nd half and they start marching down the field....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 44 of 77
Jump to: