Ball Brothers Sign With Lithuanian Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm still on the get an education bus. The Ball brothers are not the norm, they are the supposed exception. I own LaVar shorted his sons.

According to the most recent Graduation Success Rate data, 82 percent of Division I freshmen scholarship student-athletes who entered college in 2004 earned a degree. In Division II, 73 percent of freshmen student-athletes who entered college in 2004 graduated.

The one and done are talked about, student-athletes are swept under the rug.

lavar didnt short his sons. education is a tool to success or SHOULD be used as such. some people use it to actually ..get educated. That all depends on the school, your professors, what classes you take and how interested you are in said subjects and professors.

Truth is, College outside of doctors/lawyers, those types of professions, are for worker bees. What makes you think Melo or Gelo are going to be sitting somewhere with their feet underneath a desk typing away at a computer for the next 40-50 years of their life?
They're not.

I need an education. most people on LG need an education. The ball kids do not. I wish people would stop pushing this false narrative.

It's like if I won the lotto right no and after taxes I brought home 100mill. I dont need a darn degree people. Yes I need an education, but not the one you normally get at your local high school or college. I need the rich guy/gals club type of education. I need other well to do people to give me their hints and tips.

Lets just say this. even if Big baller brand dies tomorrow.

Gelo and Melo can run basketball camps, or Coach without degrees for the rest of their lives. They will never have to have a regular job like the rest of us. and I aint made at him either. This is why lavar didnt sell them short. he sold them long. Dont get so caught up in the NORMAL way of doing things where you forget why we go to high school and college to begin with. And lastly, you dont get 5 times smarter by going to college. Smart people are not born their. Smart people are born smart and have been groomed at the lower levels. by the time college rolls around. They are already very smart individuals. College is their to help them specialize in something. Guess what? the balls already specialize in something. its called basketball. They do it better than most. How many college grads can say that they are ranked in the top 1000 of people in their field. what about top 5000?

**before someone says "but but you need an education so you know how to not blow your money." As if every college major is a business major or that of finance/economics. You do realize most college students graduate with huge debts. So tell us again how college makes you smart in the areas of finance/economics unless thats your specific major? I'll wait. Usually someone with old money puts you up on some real life actual knowledge of what to spend on, and what not to spend on. How to save/earn profits while still leaving well. What things are valuable? etc. What things a person should invest in....

*Applause*
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I'm still on the get an education bus. The Ball brothers are not the norm, they are the supposed exception. I own LaVar shorted his sons.

According to the most recent Graduation Success Rate data, 82 percent of Division I freshmen scholarship student-athletes who entered college in 2004 earned a degree. In Division II, 73 percent of freshmen student-athletes who entered college in 2004 graduated.

lavar didnt short his sons. education is a tool to success or SHOULD be used as such. some people use it to actually ..get educated. That all depends on the school, your professors, what classes you take and how interested you are in said subjects and professors.

Truth is, College outside of doctors/lawyers, those types of professions, are for worker bees. What makes you think Melo or Gelo are going to be sitting somewhere with their feet underneath a desk typing away at a computer for the next 40-50 years of their life?
They're not.

I need an education. most people on LG need an education. The ball kids do not. I wish people would stop pushing this false narrative.

It's like if I won the lotto right no and after taxes I brought home 100mill. I dont need a darn degree people. Yes I need an education, but not the one you normally get at your local high school or college. I need the rich guy/gals club type of education. I need other well to do people to give me their hints and tips.

Gelo and Melo can run basketball camps, or Coach without degrees for the rest of their lives. They will never have to have a regular job like the rest of us. and I aint made at him either. This is why lavar didnt sell them short. he sold them long. Dont get so caught up in the NORMAL way of doing things where you forget why we go to high school and college to begin with. And lastly, you dont get 5 times smarter by going to college. Smart people are not born their. Smart people are born smart and have been groomed at the lower levels. by the time college rolls around. They are already very smart individuals. College is their to help them specialize in something. Guess what? the balls already specialize in something. its called basketball. They do it better than most. How many college grads can say that they are ranked in the top 1000 of people in their field. what about top 5000?

**before someone says "but but you need an education so you know how to not blow your money." As if every college major is a business major or that of finance/economics. You do realize most college students graduate with huge debts. So tell us again how college makes you smart in the areas of finance/economics unless thats your specific major? I'll wait. Usually someone with old money puts you up on some real life actual knowledge of what to spend on, and what not to spend on. How to save/earn profits while still leaving well. What things are valuable? etc. What things a person should invest in....

I'd say a college education has a ton more value as a socializing tool, but some of the most asocial, anti-social, immoral, and deplorable folks in U.S. history have been exposed to academia, some have multiple degrees, and others even taught at universities with no discernable impact on their horrific character or lack thereof.

But damn, I'd be pissed if I were LaMelo.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They're not.

I'd say a college education has a ton more value as a socializing tool, but some of the most asocial, anti-social, immoral, and deplorable folks in U.S. history have been exposed to academia, some have multiple degrees, and others even taught at universities with no discernable impact on their horrific character or lack thereof.

I would be a bit upset if I was melo. No senior year as a HS student. that part of High school is fun.

But he gets to do something not even zo did before he became a laker. and something that gelo only did once going to China. They have never left the states before( not to my knowledge.) So this will be a different kind of education. It might be a really good thing for melo since he's so young and is probably the 2nd most famous of the 3 brothers with his own shoe and all.

I could see that stuff getting to his head as a kid. Or worse, kids start turning on you and hating just cause you know like adults hate on his father even though he doesnt pay their rent. I think he can learn something about life being around other cultures and seeing people in small towns that are not rich just appreciating life.

Remember, part of the reason kobe is kobe is because of his upbringing abroad.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lavar-balls-family-circus-arrived-lithuanian-airport-chaos-ensued-195241337.html
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They're not.

A college education opens you to learning different thought processes and envolvement with multi culture ethnics. Higher education broadens your horizons.

IMO a AA are the most important years. You run the gamut, go through the sciences, social and experimental, English, math, all aspects of what it takes to cope and excel in today's world. Allow a vision to what you want to do to forge a career.

You can get a BA in sociology and get a job in the business field that has nothing to do with sociology. It's takes stick-to-it-ness to complete 4 yrs and earn a degree. Employers look for that determination. Employers use to look for high school graduates. Today they look for college grads.

That option has been taken from the Ball brothers. Do they have any idea what THEY want? From my perch it's all about what LaVar wants.

I wish them success. I think their options have been narrowed because IMO if BBB fails basketball is all they have left. There are 301 roster slots in the NBA, multi-million in the world of business and life.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider

This is Evelina Pavliukovic -- who just stole the show in this news conference when she asked out LiAngelo. She works for KK2 from LNK TV.

If this is the same girl....LiAngelo may lose focus on basketball pretty quickly...

These guys do not know what to make of the new media attention...

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Lithuanian team schedules 'Big Baller Brand Challenge' games

Quote:
Prienu Vytautas, the Lithuanian team that signed LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball, has withdrawn from the Baltic Basketball League this season and will instead play in the Big Baller Brand Challenge, a series of five "friendly" games intended to get the brothers extensive playing time.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21978438/lithuanian-team-prienu-vytautas-schedule-big-baller-brand-challenge-games

LaVar Ball: Plan is for LiAngelo, LaMelo to finish season in Lithuania
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21966543/lavar-ball-says-plan-sons-liangelo-ball-lamelo-ball-finish-season-lithuania
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:
Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider

This is Evelina Pavliukovic -- who just stole the show in this news conference when she asked out LiAngelo. She works for KK2 from LNK TV.

If this is the same girl....LiAngelo may lose focus on basketball pretty quickly...

These guys do not know what to make of the new media attention...

Don't have to worry about that since daddy runs the show.....
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball Lithuanian jerseys sell out in less than a day

The Big Baller Brand has officially arrived in Lithuania, and fans are already showing their excitement before Ball brothers LiAngelo and LaMelo take the court for the professional Lithuanian club Vytautas Prienai.

The excitement is so high that the team decided to make some profit off of it.

Last week, team officials announced that they would sell about 500 LiAngelo and LaMelo game jerseys sometime in January. That sometime ended up being the brothers’ first full day in the country.

The jerseys (with the numbers 1 and 3) were sold on Thursday on Amazon for $99 each, but if you’re looking to add them to your collection, you’re out of luck. They sold out. Note that the brothers only signed one-year contracts with the team.

LiAngelo and LaMelo are expected to make their debut on Tuesday when Vytautas Prienai hosts Tsmoki-Minsk in a Baltic League game. Tickets for the 1,200-seat arena have already sold out.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/la-sp-liangelo-lamelo-ball-lithuanian-jerseys-20180105-story.html
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Lavar is a genius. Seriously.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Lavar is a genius. Seriously.

Dude has become a household name amongst basketball fans even overseas. Massive turn out for their pop-up shop in Hong Kong. Didn't even have an NBA player like ZO there. One kid even bought 3 pairs of ZO2 shoes.

https://www.facebook.com/ballinthefamily/videos/929975873835518/
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
splashmtn wrote:

They're not.

*Applause*

An education is nice but even if the youner balls cant make it in the NBA they will most likely have long careers in international leagues.

Also a "free" education's cash value today is probably less than what they are getting payed right now
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Lavar's antics has likely cemented the door shut for his other two sons from making it to the NBA. Lonzo gets a pass since he is a top 5 draft prospect but I can see teams blackballing the other two... unless they somehow become atleast a top 20 level prospect which I dont see happening.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Lavar's antics has likely cemented the door shut for his other two sons from making it to the NBA. Lonzo gets a pass since he is a top 5 draft prospect but I can see teams blackballing the other two... unless they somehow become atleast a top 20 level prospect which I dont see happening.
A team will take Melo. Gelo though isnt an NBA player.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

LakersChamps04 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I think Melo is overrated. Volume chucker with nothing else to his game. I think he could be a late draft pick but that is not enough for a team to look past Lavar
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
LakersChamps04 wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I think Melo is overrated. Volume chucker with nothing else to his game. I think he could be a late draft pick but that is not enough for a team to look past Lavar

You can think whatever you want, that doesn't change the fact LaMelo was a legitimate five star prospect and the top point guard of his class who will have elite size by the time he's eligible to be in the NBA.
Thug24Life8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They're not.

Gelo and Melo can run basketball camps, or Coach without degrees for the rest of their lives. They will never have to have a regular job like the rest of us. and I aint made at him either. This is why lavar didnt sell them short. he sold them long. Dont get so caught up in the NORMAL way of doing things where you forget why we go to high school and college to begin with. And lastly, you dont get 5 times smarter by going to college. Smart people are not born there. Smart people are born smart and have been groomed at the lower levels. by the time college rolls around. They are already very smart individuals. College is there to help them specialize in something. Guess what? the balls already specialize in something. its called basketball. They do it better than most. How many college grads can say that they are ranked in the top 1000 of people in their field. what about top 5000?

You could not be more wrong about the bolded. What I have done with my life proves your point completely wrong. I was not a star student growing up, far from it in fact. Very poor grades and horrible work ethic. When I started at Santa Monica College, I worked my a** off to become like those "smart" people you talk about. I competed against them inside and outside of the classroom day in and day out. I pushed myself to have the most insane work ethic and drive than any of my fellow classmates/colleagues. I went from being an apathetic and unintellectual student in high school to graduating at the top of my class at UCLA. I became who I am today in college, I was not born smart as you say but I developed those skills later on. I cannot stand hearing comments like what you said because it gives off the impression that some people are destined to be smart and others have to accept that they are stupid. No such thing exists. You can either make excuses or go after it.
"Kobe is a scientific dawg," O'Neal wrote. "He works out every day, practices every day. Most of the other stars are just dawgs, not scientific dawgs. Kobe will always have the edge because of his range and killer instinct."
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Thug24Life8 wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:

They're not.

Gelo and Melo can run basketball camps, or Coach without degrees for the rest of their lives. They will never have to have a regular job like the rest of us. and I aint made at him either. This is why lavar didnt sell them short. he sold them long. Dont get so caught up in the NORMAL way of doing things where you forget why we go to high school and college to begin with. And lastly, you dont get 5 times smarter by going to college. Smart people are not born there. Smart people are born smart and have been groomed at the lower levels. by the time college rolls around. They are already very smart individuals. College is there to help them specialize in something. Guess what? the balls already specialize in something. its called basketball. They do it better than most. How many college grads can say that they are ranked in the top 1000 of people in their field. what about top 5000?

You could not be more wrong about the bolded. What I have done with my life proves your point completely wrong. I was not a star student growing up, far from it in fact. Very poor grades and horrible work ethic. When I started at Santa Monica College, I worked my a** off to become like those "smart" people you talk about. I competed against them inside and outside of the classroom day in and day out. I pushed myself to have the most insane work ethic and drive than any of my fellow classmates/colleagues. I went from being an apathetic and unintellectual student in high school to graduating at the top of my class at UCLA. I became who I am today in college, I was not born smart as you say but I developed those skills later on. I cannot stand hearing comments like what you said because it gives off the impression that some people are destined to be smart and others have to accept that they are stupid. No such thing exists. You can either make excuses or go after it.

I would argue, and you might agree, that your success is due much more to your determination and effort level than simply attending college. Self-learning and real world experience can give you everything that college can while keeping you 50-100k richer.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

I would argue, and you might agree, that your success is due much more to your determination and effort level than simply attending college. Self-learning and real world experience can give you everything that college can while keeping you 50-100k richer.

Can it....maybe almost. Does it? Rarely. College is not a requirement to be intelligent or even be successful.....but it will definitely lubricate the path to finding success. The college experience is about so much more than lectures and exams....and provides a learning environment that is difficult to duplicate. Not sure about your $50-100K richer figure...unless your simply subtracting tuition and expenses....but every metric I have ever seen illustrates average lifetime wages being substantially higher for those with a college degree....far more than $50-$100K.
Thug24Life8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
trablos wrote:

Can it....maybe almost. Does it? Rarely. College is not a requirement to be intelligent or even be successful.....but it will definitely lubricate the path to finding success. The college experience is about so much more than lectures and exams....and provides a learning environment that is difficult to duplicate. Not sure about your $50-100K richer figure...unless your simply subtracting tuition and expenses....but every metric I have ever seen illustrates average lifetime wages being substantially higher for those with a college degree....far more than $50-$100K.

Was going to say this myself, well said.
"Kobe is a scientific dawg," O'Neal wrote. "He works out every day, practices every day. Most of the other stars are just dawgs, not scientific dawgs. Kobe will always have the edge because of his range and killer instinct."
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

It’s so painful to watch LiAngelo when he answers questions during his interviews. Even his younger brother looks more confident than him. He looks extremely awkward and uncomfortable.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Lamelo has better handles than anybody on the Laker's right now. If he grows another 2 to 3 " in the next 2 years, he will make it to the NBA.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
trablos wrote:

You guys are missing a key point: Most of the guys in the NBA who play college basketball never get an undergraduate degree.

In addition, because college athletes spend so much time practicing, colleges often have them do sham classes or are clustered in easy majors that don't really prepare them for life after college.

It's a mistake to think the Balls would be typical college students who played a little basketball on the side. In college, they would be professional basketball players who did a little academics on the side.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject:

It's crazy how much more talented big brother is than the rest of these guys, Lavar included. And that goes beyond the basketball court with his maturity and how media savvy he is. They really owe any and all of their success to him.
rogers49
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject:

First official game in the Lithuanian league, 0 points, 0/7 FG combined between Liangelo and Lamelo.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: