Lou Williams should still be on this team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Signing Lou Williams to a value deal before the cap rose and then trading him for a 1st was one of the smartest moves the rebuilding Lakers have made in years. Which is kind of sad. But still a good move.

Those moves (signing Lou and trading him) and trading for Lin & getting the 1st are easily the best rebuilding moves the Lakers made. We needed more of those and less of Roy Hibbert, Carlos Boozer, and, of course, MozDeng.

And even taking on GT's favorite player, José Calderón, and his expiring contract for two 2nd round picks was low key (very low key) savvy. But Hinkie made two moves like that before winter solstice every year.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

NO ONE.

We opened up roughly what, $7mil in contracts and took back roughly $2mil for the draft rights to Kyle Kuzma? A potential All-Star?

It doesn't get much better than that.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

I think pope will be this years Lou trade
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
It was the right call. I disagree with the Magic hire and a lot he’s done, but that was a good call. The last thing the team needs right now is a gunner.
He's the best sixth man in the NBA, Lakers could have traded other players to Houston.

If Lou had stayed, our chances for what eventually became Lonzo Ball would have taken a drastic hit. Lou was keeping us in games and we might have won quite a few of those which we actually lost. We might have fallen out of top 3 altogether in the 2017 draft and lost both 2017 and 2019 first round picks which would have gone unprotected. Trading Lou to tank was definitely the right call since we both got ball and more importantly only lose one and not two draft picks, i.e. we only lose the 2018 pick. With the way this team is playing, we need as many lotto picks as we can get.
We could have traded other players for the pick.

We trade the player who was keeping us in games, in order to tank and get ball and keep the 2019 pick. Trading other players would be useless, since it was pretty much Lou who was responsible for keeping us in games to begin with. As you said so yourself, he is a 6th man of the year candidate. Having good players decreases the odds in the lotto, i.e. of getting the 2nd pick in 2017 which turned out to be ball.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

This trade was the best trade we have made since Pau. Helped with the tank which allowed us to get Lonzo. So essentially, we got Lonzo, Hart, and Bryant for Lou.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Signing Lou Williams to a value deal before the cap rose and then trading him for a 1st was one of the smartest moves the rebuilding Lakers have made in years. Which is kind of sad. But still a good move.

Those moves (signing Lou and trading him) and trading for Lin & getting the 1st are easily the best rebuilding moves the Lakers made. We needed more of those and less of Roy Hibbert, Carlos Boozer, and, of course, MozDeng.

And even taking on GT's favorite player, José Calderón, and his expiring contract for two 2nd round picks was low key (very low key) savvy. But Hinkie made two moves like that before winter solstice every year.

The take Lin for a first rounder was nice too.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
This trade was the best trade we have made since Pau. Helped with the tank which allowed us to get Lonzo. So essentially, we got Lonzo, Hart, and Bryant for Lou.

Our winning percentage when Lou was on the team was roughly the same as our winning percentage after we traded him, so I'm not sure if the trade affected our final record or draft position. So I wouldn't credit the trade to getting Ball, even if that was a goal.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Our winning percentage when Lou was on the team was roughly the same as our winning percentage after we traded him, so I'm not sure if the trade affected our final record or draft position. So I wouldn't credit the trade to getting Ball, even if that was a goal.

In fairness, we did have a flurry of wins at the end that evened it up.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:

The take Lin for a first rounder was nice too.

And buying a 2nd round pick for JC before it was cool.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
NO ONE.

We opened up roughly what, $7mil in contracts and took back roughly $2mil for the draft rights to Kyle Kuzma? A potential All-Star?

RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Correct. We had a flurry of wins at the end of the year. Lets not forget that many teams were blatantly tanking last year. It does not make sense to complain about getting rid of Lou but saying we played as good without him. If we didn't trade Lou, we would have had several more wins which would have drastically increased the odds of us losing the pick.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
NO ONE.

Yup. Plus, trading Lou helped the tank to get the #2 pick.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
activeverb wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

Correct. We had a flurry of wins at the end of the year. Lets not forget that many teams were blatantly tanking last year. It does not make sense to complain about getting rid of Lou but saying we played as good without him. If we didn't trade Lou, we would have had several more wins which would have drastically increased the odds of us losing the pick.

Who knows? A lot was going on. We sat Mosgov and Deng. Ingram and Russell went on mini-tears winning us some games. Lou had a big slump in Houston, which may have not happened if he had stayed with us, or it may have happened.

Anyway, if you want to credit getting the #2 pick to trading Williams, that's too speculative for my taste. But I think it was a good trade
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
It was the right call. I disagree with the Magic hire and a lot he’s done, but that was a good call. The last thing the team needs right now is a gunner.
He's the best sixth man in the NBA, Lakers could have traded other players to Houston.

If Lou had stayed, our chances for what eventually became Lonzo Ball would have taken a drastic hit. Lou was keeping us in games and we might have won quite a few of those which we actually lost. We might have fallen out of top 3 altogether in the 2017 draft and lost both 2017 and 2019 first round picks which would have gone unprotected. Trading Lou to tank was definitely the right call since we both got ball and more importantly only lose one and not two draft picks, i.e. we only lose the 2018 pick. With the way this team is playing, we need as many lotto picks as we can get.
We could have traded other players for the pick.

Why do you think that? As if they were just sitting around and were open to suggestions from the Lakers on how to improve their playoff chances. I'm pretty sure they TARGETTED and WANTED Lou Williams.
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject:

ALL THE MORONS ON LG WHO WANTED HIM TRADED.
THE SAME MORONS WANT TO FIRE THE COACH
THE SAME MORON THEY WANTED TO CUT NICK YOUNG
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Laker executive gets the blame for trading Lou Williams?

Daphanabe wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
This has quietly become one of the worst personnel decisions in NBA history. Sam Bowie 1st round bad kind of decisions. This team could have really used his ability to put the ball in the basket.

What? The Lou trade solidified the tank that got us Ball. It also gave the pick that turned into Hart and Bryant (or Kuz, depending on which side of the fence you are on). If Mitch had done something like that the last few years, we may have even had a brighter future.

I am pretty sure that Mitch negotiated the Lou trade. I remember a comment that they had been sitting on it for about a week.

On a side note, Lou had his way offensively against Paul George the other night.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
NO ONE.

Kuzma was part of the Nets trade. The 28th pick came from Houston.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Lou Williams was a good trade. If you hate magic find another reason

If you hate Mitch keep reminding yourself he brought us multiple championships
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

I loved Lou Williams and wanted him to stay to guide the young guys...

but Russell fans hated him and wanted him gone, because they claimed that he was taking away previous minutes from their beloved Russell.... LOL

/truth
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers can get PG or Lebron & Cousins in the off season and end up dumping JC, then I think bringing Lou back to power the bench would be a great call...
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Josh Hart is a damn bargain, and in our future for the next 5 years. People would really rather have had one more season of Lou?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

but Russell fans hated him and wanted him gone, because they claimed that he was taking away previous minutes from their beloved Russell.... LOL

/truth

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Josh Hart is a damn bargain, and in our future for the next 5 years. People would really rather have had one more season of Lou?

Why assume we couldn’t have had both?
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:

/truth

That's goes for all of our young guard, and he was going to cost us Ball and Kuz thus why he had to go.
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Blah..If I never see Lou Williams again I will be happy. He was the worse part of last season.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: