OFFICIAL NCAA COLLEGE BASKETBALL (2017-18)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject:

West Virginia sure schooled Wheeling Jesuit. That should help the RPI.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
West Virginia sure schooled Wheeling Jesuit. That should help the RPI.

that was not a real game....it was an exhibition game. ESPN has them @ 10-1, but that is incorrect....they are still 9-1. Kenpom and a few sites recognized it properly....but it will not count in any way towards our resume. I am not sure if a team canceled or what happened, just know they had a big gap in their schedule this summer....and Huggins offered it to a couple in state D2 programs. I think 2 (West Liberty & WV State) actually turned him down....which makes zero sense to me. I do not think Jevon Carter even attempted a shot in that game.....I tried to watch, but it even had no value for a die hard fan like me.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Wofford (from the Southern Conference) takes out #5 North Carolina in Chapel Hill
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject:

UCLA with a big upset against Kentucky....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject:

#3 Arizona State (the last unbeaten team) loses to #17 Arizona.

#1 Villanova, #3 Arizona State, #5 Texas A&M, #10 TCU and #19 Tennessee all lose today.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject:

This looks like a fairly blah season, really. I don't see any compelling storylines or great teams. I admit that I am not much of college basketball fan, but this seems like a "Wake me up in late March" season.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This looks like a fairly blah season, really. I don't see any compelling storylines or great teams. I admit that I am not much of college basketball fan, but this seems like a "Wake me up in late March" season.

not sure I can make a compelling argument against that.....a few stories I see playing out this season...

-- Trae Young and his ability to carry Oklahoma
-- The bounce back of Arizona, and will they be able to bounce all the way back to being an elite team. Secondary story...is Arizona State for real? like really real?
-- The rise of the SEC as a real player in NCAA Basketball beyond Kentucky....Alabama, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Florida
-- Down year for the mid-majors?
-- Can the Big 12 actually get 80% of conference into the tournament?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Finally!!

Esa Ahmad eligible to play for Mountaineers

Quote:
West Virginia forward Esa Ahmad will be eligible for the Mountaineers beginning Jan. 13 against Texas Tech, the school announced Tuesday.

LINK

have to try to survive #7 Oklahoma and Baylor @ home without Esa....
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

The Big 12 is just nasty this season....Texas Tech just went into Lawrence and beat Kansas by 12.

KenPom predicts the Big 12 conference champion will only go 12-6 in conference.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Unranked Colorado knocks off #4 Arizona State in OT. Arizona State started season 12-0....and is now 0-2 in PAC12 play.

Quote:
Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

This is wild: Arizona State's loss to Colorado is the 11th defeat by a top-five team to an unranked opponent this season. (Via @ESPNStatsInfo)
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

UCLA being back to mediocrity post-Lonzo has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for CBB this season outside of "scouting."

Steve Alford is the worst.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona all lose on the road on the same day.....wonder if that has ever happened before? Also, Kansas squeezed out a fortunate win on the road as they almost joined their blue blood brethren losing on the road....
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, and Arizona all lose on the road on the same day.....wonder if that has ever happened before? Also, Kansas squeezed out a fortunate win on the road as they almost joined their blue blood brethren losing on the road....

my boys got the win on the road at least
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

not sure I can make a compelling argument against that.....a few stories I see playing out this season...

-- Trae Young and his ability to carry Oklahoma
-- The bounce back of Arizona, and will they be able to bounce all the way back to being an elite team. Secondary story...is Arizona State for real? like really real?
-- The rise of the SEC as a real player in NCAA Basketball beyond Kentucky....Alabama, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Florida
-- Down year for the mid-majors?
-- Can the Big 12 actually get 80% of conference into the tournament?

Trae Young is your best argument, though your boys must have handled him pretty well yesterday. I guess they learned something from Wheeling Jesuit.

From the perspective of a neutral (in other words, someone with no ties to one of the powerhouse teams) who is casual about college basketball, this season is just about unwatchable. All of these years of one and dones have taken a toll on the quality of play in college. I can't watch more than a few minutes without losing interest.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Look who is #2 in both National Polls.....dem boys from West Virginia! I am not sure we have been ranked this high in my lifetime. I know Jerry West had them @ #1.....been in the Top 10 multiple times in recent years....but do not recall being #2. We just need Xavier to take out 'Nova this week, and win our games to get that #1 ranking!

Who made that claim earlier this year WVU looked like a #5 or #6 seed in the tournament?

There is now a thread for these type of errors....

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=183790
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

^^^^confirmed

Quote:
ESPN Stats and Information

West Virginia is No. 2 in the latest AP men's college basketball poll, their highest ranking since the Dec. 28, 1959 poll - which was during Jerry West's senior season.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Congrats. I have often criticized the media's obsession with the polls in basketball, because nothing really matters until the committee picks the teams and the seeds. The media loves the rankings because it lets them hype up games during the regular season. But that doesn't mean that it isn't a really cool thing for a particular school and its fans.

So we're pulling for Villanova to lose, right?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject:

The one place that polls may matter in NCAA basketball is in recruiting 2 classes out. Next years class is in place....but it allows the coaches to get the attention of a kid for the 2019 class....I would assume.

Honestly, we are not a #2 team right now, but who is this early in the season really? If we do not improve a lot by the tournament, we will not be holding anything close to a #2 ranking. We have a home game tomorrow against Baylor that we "should" win....but this Saturday we have to go to Lubbock to play #8 Texas Tech....then the following Monday have Kansas @ home.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

Yes, one of my beefs with the polls is that the rankings shift too much based on wins and losses. In football, I get it. In basketball, it doesn't make as much sense. Anyone can lose to pretty much anyone on any given night. If a team goes 15-0 and then loses in double overtime on the road, why are they dropping five spots in the rankings? I'm happy for WVU that y'all are #2, but I still think the polls are stupid.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

#2 WVU loses @ #8 Texas Tech 71-72 breaks our 15 game winning streak....were 5 point underdogs going in....

Jevon Carter dropped 28 points....and Esa Ahmad had 18 Points and 6 Rebounds in his 1st game returning for the season.

The crowd stormed the court after the win....I think that means we have finally made it the big time
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Notre Dame
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The crowd stormed the court after the win....I think that means we have finally made it the big time

There isn't much else to do in Lubbock on a weekend.

I watched some of the game at the cigar shop and thought WVU was going to cruise. Then a client came by to talk about his case, and when I looked up again, Tech had the lead with a few seconds left. For a casual viewer like me who is paying more attention to a cigar than the game, I think the full court pressure creates the impression that WVU is more dominant than they are.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
For a casual viewer like me who is paying more attention to a cigar than the game, I think the full court pressure creates the impression that WVU is more dominant than they are.

not really sure what you mean in that statement....guess I need clarification on what you mean. I am taking it as the "make yourself as large as possible when confronted by a bear"....and maybe the bear will not attack although in reality the bear is much stronger.....is that similar to what your saying?

In truth, I do think that has been the case in previous seasons....we were the triple option team in a way.....teams play the spread and pro style offenses every week....then the abrupt change causes problems. In past years, our full court pressure has been nasty....easily causing the highest TO ratio in the country the last few years. This year....it is not nearly as effective (although our half court defense has been much improved) ....mostly due to personnel. On top of that....today it was even less because we were reintegrating Esa Ahmad back into the game plan. We were playing a 2-3 Zone in the 4th....I have watched every game since Huggins arrived (almost), and I have never seen him employ a 2-3 zone.

Some of your doubts about us may be related to the fact that you "may" have a preconceived bias against Texas Tech...as in thinking they are just a mediocre team that has some "good" years.....but not an elite team. This year....Texas Tech is an elite team.....loaded with upperclassmen and a couple special Freshman. They are easily the best team in Texas...and currently #5 in Kenpom. No team has went into Lubbock this year and left with a win (we came the closest to date), and this Texas Tech team went into Phog Allen last week and rolled Kansas....not an easy thing to do. Hell, we moved up in Kenpom after the loss to Texas Tech in Lubbock.

I do think we have a chance to be an elite team this season.....but only time will tell. One issue we could have is that we are super young. For some reason, we have a reputation of being a veteran team....but we only have 2 Seniors and 2 Juniors on the team....and one of those Juniors in a JUCO transfer who is in his first season. We are as young as any team I can recall @ WVU. We have 31 Regular Season games this season....I think we finish 26-5 or 25-6 @ worst....and either a #1 or #2 Seed if we remain healthy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Notre Dame

they will likely struggle a little more than expected without Bonzie Colson.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

I really didn't say any of that. I just said that, from the perspective of someone who is watching the game casually, the full court press creates the impression that WVU is more dominant than they are. It looked like WVU was mugging Texas Tech. It's sort of an optical illusion.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: