Paul Pierce doesn't want Isaiah Thomas' video tribute same night of jersey retirement

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Posts: 21791

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Paul Pierce doesn't want Isaiah Thomas' video tribute same night of jersey retirement

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/01/04/paul-pierce-doesnt-want-isaiah-thomas-video-tribute-same-night-of-jersey-retirement/

Quote:
Paul Pierce doesn’t want Isaiah Thomas’ video tribute same night of jersey retirement


Paul Pierce is getting his jersey retired by the Boston Celtics on February 11, but the team has another plan that same evening.

That night is the first that the Celtics and the Cleveland Cavaliers will meet in which former Boston guard Isaiah Thomas will be active to play. As such, the team is planning a video tribute for Thomas, which Pierce has said he would rather see the team skip.

The Cavaliers and the Celtics met for the first time in 2018 on Wednesday, but Thomas was not active. Thomas asked the team to skip a video tribute, and they decided to move it to the Feb. 11 matchup.

Pierce — who played for the Celtics for 15 seasons — offered that the team could run an Instagram video instead.

Via ESPN:

“I’m not saying Isaiah shouldn’t get a tribute video … but on Feb. 11, the night I get my jersey retired, I’m not sure I want to look up at the JumboTron and see Isaiah highlights,’ Pierce said Thursday during an appearance on ESPN’s The Jump.



“That’s Pierce’s night. But, like, the video tribute ain’t the whole night,” Thomas said. “I just wanted my family to be here to see it. That’s what it came down to. I wanted to be able to play. And I wanted my family to experience the love and appreciation this city and this organization is going to give me on that night. And when my representatives reached out to these guys, [the Celtics] were all for it. They agreed on it.

“I don’t know why [some people are] so mad about it. I’m not taking nothing from Paul Pierce. He did 15 years here so there’s nothing that I can take from him. But if they choose to do it that night, that would be great and I would be honored. And my family and friends can see how much they appreciated me here.”

It would be a bad look for the Celtics to dip on an IT tribute video now, even at the request of Paul Pierce. It seems like Pierce should get over it — he’s having his jersey hung in the stadium forever for goodness sake — but I doubt that happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 11913
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Yeah it’s fairly whack to schedule another event on the night of his jersey retirement. Yet another example of how “they don’t love you like that.”.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Apr 2001
Posts: 5177

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Bad timing but really Paul Pierce making a big deal about it also sucks. Guess that's to be expected out of him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 17227
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

1st - it is beyond stupid to have a video tribute to honor a player that was on the roster for two years, and did not win anything. Especially for a team with a history like the Celtics. Gerald Green was a Celtic longer than IT...and has the same amount of rings.

2nd - I get Pierce preferring his night being all about him....and admittedly he deserves his night.....but going out in public and saying how he wanted his to be similar to Kobe's makes him look foolish.....you ain't on Kobe's level.
_________________
"Lonzo Ball is the headline, Kyle Kuzma is the STORY!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
forzaCOREA
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 08 Mar 2010
Posts: 741

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
1st - it is beyond stupid to have a video tribute to honor a player that was on the roster for two years, and did not win anything. Especially for a team with a history like the Celtics. Gerald Green was a Celtic longer than IT...and has the same amount of rings.

2nd - I get Pierce preferring his night being all about him....and admittedly he deserves his night.....but going out in public and saying how he wanted his to be similar to Kobe's makes him look foolish.....you ain't on Kobe's level.


dude IT brought the celtics from a lottery team to a championship caliber team. He played his heart out for that team even through his sisters death. He was loyal and never demanded a trade. I see no problem with them trying to give IT some love, he did the celtics no wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TDRock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 May 2010
Posts: 11913
Location: LA to the Bay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

2nd - I get Pierce preferring his night being all about him....and admittedly he deserves his night.....but going out in public and saying how he wanted his to be similar to Kobe's makes him look foolish.....you ain't on Kobe's level.


Draymond already told him “they don’t love you like that“
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 7181

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

PP is right, jersey retirement is a high honor, shouldn't be shared with another player's video tribute but but but, shouldn't have voiced it publically
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 11577
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Yeah it’s fairly whack to schedule another event on the night of his jersey retirement. Yet another example of how “they don’t love you like that.”.


Came into this thread to post that video, lol!
_________________
http://tinyurl.com/zhjax5w

Pau Gasol is nice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
adkindo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Jun 2005
Posts: 17227
Location: Dirty South

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

forzaCOREA wrote:
adkindo wrote:
1st - it is beyond stupid to have a video tribute to honor a player that was on the roster for two years, and did not win anything. Especially for a team with a history like the Celtics. Gerald Green was a Celtic longer than IT...and has the same amount of rings.

2nd - I get Pierce preferring his night being all about him....and admittedly he deserves his night.....but going out in public and saying how he wanted his to be similar to Kobe's makes him look foolish.....you ain't on Kobe's level.


dude IT brought the celtics from a lottery team to a championship caliber team. He played his heart out for that team even through his sisters death. He was loyal and never demanded a trade. I see no problem with them trying to give IT some love, he did the celtics no wrong.


he did not bring the Celtics to a championship caliber team....and there are a lot of guys that play a couple years somewhere and improve a team...never seen anyone with a similar resume before get any type of tribute. He is to the Celtics as Cedric Ceballos was to the Lakers.
_________________
"Lonzo Ball is the headline, Kyle Kuzma is the STORY!" Jalen Rose
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 27926
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
1st - it is beyond stupid to have a video tribute to honor a player that was on the roster for two years, and did not win anything. Especially for a team with a history like the Celtics. Gerald Green was a Celtic longer than IT...and has the same amount of rings.

2nd - I get Pierce preferring his night being all about him....and admittedly he deserves his night.....but going out in public and saying how he wanted his to be similar to Kobe's makes him look foolish.....you ain't on Kobe's level.


Pierce is the second leading scorer in Celtics' history, was Finals MVP in the series that ended their drought, and was their franchise player for over a decade. He's not what Kobe was to the Lakers, but he's definitely still a very important player in Boston history.

I can understand why they would want to do the tribute for Thomas, but I have no idea why they didn't just schedule Pierce's jersey retirement on a different night in the first place.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
lakersgirl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Posts: 11577
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
forzaCOREA wrote:
adkindo wrote:
1st - it is beyond stupid to have a video tribute to honor a player that was on the roster for two years, and did not win anything. Especially for a team with a history like the Celtics. Gerald Green was a Celtic longer than IT...and has the same amount of rings.

2nd - I get Pierce preferring his night being all about him....and admittedly he deserves his night.....but going out in public and saying how he wanted his to be similar to Kobe's makes him look foolish.....you ain't on Kobe's level.


dude IT brought the celtics from a lottery team to a championship caliber team. He played his heart out for that team even through his sisters death. He was loyal and never demanded a trade. I see no problem with them trying to give IT some love, he did the celtics no wrong.


he did not bring the Celtics to a championship caliber team....and there are a lot of guys that play a couple years somewhere and improve a team...never seen anyone with a similar resume before get any type of tribute. He is to the Celtics as Cedric Ceballos was to the Lakers.


Since you bring up PP's resume. I think this twitter thread may be useful. PP is good, but he certainly isn't the best.
_________________
http://tinyurl.com/zhjax5w

Pau Gasol is nice
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Posts: 28408

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

Buck Foston & Paul Pissce
_________________
www.trendydeckpost.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2013
Posts: 10541
Location: Brazil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Put a wheelchair up his ass
_________________
SPEAK IT INTO EXISTENCE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20074
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Still waiting for the Celdicks to hang up that wheelchair.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dlofan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Jan 2016
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

All those years in Boston have fried his brain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB