Laker Film Room (Pg. 91: Pete Signed By Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Looks like KCP ,Clarkson and Randle have already mailed it in. SAD.

yup.
important note that those three (and corey brewer) did not stay around for the media after the OKC game. they left ingram, nance and kuzma alone to explain that stinker of a game. tells me that they don't care about there teammates much either. inexcusable.

KCP's never in the locker room after the game for media availability. It's usually just a small handful of guys. Randle's been one of the first people to leave almost every game, regardless of the outcome.

Instruction from his agent maybe?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

I believe that the Lakers satisfy the media availability requirements, I just don't think that they have to make everyone available. The Media Relations people ask certain players to make themselves available and they usually agree. I overheard Clarkson (who's around about half of the time) tell one of the Media Relations people "I had to give y'all something, I played tonight." after a recent game. He's pretty openly unhappy about his minutes.

KCP is suuuuuuper socially awkward, so when you add that plus his...errr...situation, he's never made available to the media.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KCP is suuuuuuper socially awkward

Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KCP is suuuuuuper socially awkward

That introductory press conference though

I shouldn't tease. I've bombed pretty badly in public speaking in the past.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

GT, request while reviewing tape for the Charlotte game vid - could you see how many possessions Lonzo guards Kemba and what the results were?

I respect if you tell my lazy ass to do it myself.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
yup.
important note that those three (and corey brewer) did not stay around for the media after the OKC game. they left ingram, nance and kuzma alone to explain that stinker of a game. tells me that they don't care about there teammates much either. inexcusable.
KCP's never in the locker room after the game for media availability. It's usually just a small handful of guys. Randle's been one of the first people to leave almost every game, regardless of the outcome.
As our supposedly vets (at least players that are not rookies, have “left the arena.”

With Luke having a proven track record of leaving players that are producing to close games, Randle and JC are entitled to play at the end of games - whether they are playing good or bad?

Maybe their attitude has provided additional confirmation(s) of what the FO will dondueing the off-season?

With Eastern Conference teams that need added bench production to rise to the level of Celtics and Cavs, could the FO be talking to the Wizards (https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/WAS.html) or Bucks?

It probably would have to be a three team transaction to meet all the salary requirements. Odds are not good, but maybe they can add Deng because he is a very hungry veteran that knows Eastern Conference teams well.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
hydrohead wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:

yup.

Instruction from his agent maybe?

One of the few young guys married and with a baby?
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Problems this pervasive always start at the top. That's not to absolve the players but this doesn't just happen because a few guys are cross with their situation.

Sterling used to have a model that made him lots of money. Draft high, suck, continue to draft high, let guys walk or trade them, market on interest in NBA basketball and next-up prospects. They were laughing stocks on the court but it was low cost, high reward financially. Meanwhile Dr. Buss was winning rings but spending a fortune. In that time he was building brand value though.

Now the Lakers have a model pretty similar to Sterling's with the added bonuses of a rising tide in NBA interest and a strong brand loyalty. They rode Kobe's popularity as a circus while keeping costs low under the guise of preserving cap space. I haven't tabulated the numbers but I'm pretty sure if you added player salary expense over the last five years and future looking salary obligation the Lakers would be in the bottom two or three in the league while being #1 in revenue. They've probably had record profits despite missing the playoffs. Now Magic has started saying he may not spend all the cap room this summer. Keep costs low. BTW, how does that sound to the current players? We may not get our 2Max but you aren't getting long term deals regardless. They trot Shaq or Kobe or Magic out there to remind you of better days. They sell you Lonzo and Luke and cap space to keep you on the line. The players dream of new teams.

We're Clipper fans drunk on past success.

I disagree. I don't believe the Buss family wants to milk the Lakers as a cash cow. They've tried to make a winner and have failed. Many teams around the league fail even more dramatically year after year - the spotlight is just more intense here in LA, where the banners hang.

Magic and Pelinka got handed a difficult situation and I think they've done a reasonable job up to this point. Their decisions (or even Jeanie's) don't impact how hard the guys on the court play in any literal sense, and if the players are mentally fragile enough to let front office woes impact their desire to play D, then good riddance, anyway.

Defense is first about effort and desire, and then gets improved by scheme and intelligence. It's painfully clear that guys like KCP and Randle are not caring right now, particularly because they were playing such great, effort-driven defense earlier in the year. The difference is obvious.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:58 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Do you think this was one of JCs best games?
I thought he was making quick decisions with the ball, which I think playing at that frenetic speed from defense to offense helped him. Less thinking.

Wondering if the video showed that.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject:

Nice weak side cuts there to ensure that there is no stunt at Lopez popping.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject:

Good stuff, as usual. Thanks GT.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, GT. Finally a feel-good video, I'm sure this was the most fun you've had putting together a breakdown in weeks.

On a completely random side note, I didn't know Jay Mohr was such a big (and knowledgeable!) Lakers' fan. Saw him reply to one of your tweets, and found out he has his own Laker podcast - that's pretty cool.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject:

GT, please ask Luke about this Nance at C non sense
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Terrific. Very much liked your detail about BI and the comment about Lonzo and Hart rebounding and how that compensates for BI and Kuz getting pushed around a bit. I honestly wish we'd have kept Nwaba, passed on KCP. Like those tough guards who play D.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Thanks, GT. Finally a feel-good video, I'm sure this was the most fun you've had putting together a breakdown in weeks.

On a completely random side note, I didn't know Jay Mohr was such a big (and knowledgeable!) Lakers' fan. Saw him reply to one of your tweets, and found out he has his own Laker podcast - that's pretty cool.

Dude, Pete was on it!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:

Pretty hilarious that people have trashed Luke all season long for not starting Randle or Kuzma at PF. But now that he's starting Randle he's getting flack for using Nance as backup C Good grief. Someone has to play that spot and it certainly won't be Kuz. It has to be either Randle or Nance if one of them is going to be starting.

The reason Luke probably doesn't like them playing together is because neither can space the floor. Randle is unproven and reluctant to shoot, and Nance just seems to think he'll get penalized with hemorrhoids or something if he ever takes a shot outside of the paint. That's the conundrum Luke's faced with if he starts Kuzma. If Randle is starting, it's difficult to avoid playing Nance as the backup C.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject:

thanks GT. with this starting 5, its seemed like everyone fell into place without playing outside themselves. seems like just the right combo of size speed & shooting (thanks Brook). love to see how they play in the 2nd half of the season (barring trades)
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject:

My favorite tags:

Pass the ball, fam
Yolo brolo!

Lol
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
danzag wrote:

Pretty hilarious that people have trashed Luke all season long for not starting Randle or Kuzma at PF. But now that he's starting Randle he's getting flack for using Nance as backup C Good grief. Someone has to play that spot and it certainly won't be Kuz. It has to be either Randle or Nance if one of them is going to be starting.

The reason Luke probably doesn't like them playing together is because neither can space the floor. Randle is unproven and reluctant to shoot, and Nance just seems to think he'll get penalized with hemorrhoids or something if he ever takes a shot outside of the paint. That's the conundrum Luke's faced with if he starts Kuzma. If Randle is starting, it's difficult to avoid playing Nance as the backup C.

Randle and Nance are also legitimately terrible whenever they play together. They sucked a whole lot last year, and they've sucked this year in the limited minutes they've played together. At this point the evidence seems fairly clear that they suck together and I'm glad Luke doesn't play them much together.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Judah wrote:
danzag wrote:

Randle and Nance are also legitimately terrible whenever they play together. They sucked a whole lot last year, and they've sucked this year in the limited minutes they've played together. At this point the evidence seems fairly clear that they suck together and I'm glad Luke doesn't play them much together.

Right. Besides, Nance hasn't been too shabby at C these past few games imo. In fact, that was actually him protecting the rim in one of those clips that GT mistakenly credited to Lopez I think he's more comfortable coming off the bench, personally.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Right. Besides, Nance hasn't been too shabby at C these past few games imo. In fact, that was actually him protecting the rim in one of those clips that GT mistakenly credited to Lopez I think he's more comfortable coming off the bench, personally.

Haha, yeah that's my bad. Here are the Net Ratings of our big man combos though.

Net Rating

Randle + Lopez.......+16.0 (84 minutes)
Nance + Lopez...........-2.9 (312 minutes)
Kuzma + Randle.........-3.5 (623 minutes)
Kuzma + Lopez..........-5.1 (299 minutes)
Kuzma + Nance........-10.1 (186 minutes)
Nance + Randle........-13.0 (32 minutes...although they were awful together last year too)

Really, if he can just avoid the bottom two pairings I'd be happy, and I don't think that's asking for too much.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Judah wrote:

Haha, yeah that's my bad. Here are the Net Ratings of our big man combos though.

Net Rating

Randle + Lopez.......+16.0 (84 minutes)
Nance + Lopez...........-2.9 (312 minutes)
Kuzma + Randle.........-3.5 (623 minutes)
Kuzma + Lopez..........-5.1 (299 minutes)
Kuzma + Nance........-10.1 (186 minutes)
Nance + Randle........-13.0 (32 minutes...although they were awful together last year too)

Really, if he can just avoid the bottom two pairings I'd be happy, and I don't think that's asking for too much.

But Kuzma+Nance might be worth it if it means you get more Randle+Lopez. That worked out in the Kings game, for example. In fact, judging from these limited numbers, that's definitely the case, though Randle/Lopez will likely drop some from +16.0 with more minutes.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

For sure, but maybe we could give Lopez a few of Nance's minutes and minimize how often they need to go to that pairing.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 49 of 93
Jump to: