3%  [ 2 ]
OTHER (explain)
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 51

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
ribeye wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Lyndon Johnson was one of the greatest domestic policy presidents. I’d vote for him.

I think that is a fair call, but then . . . there is that other thing in Southeast Asia, that also had dire domestic ramifications. He, as did Nixon, as did JFK, as did Ike, inherited a no-win situation--for a politician. Unfortunately, as good a politician as he was for driving through his agenda, it was also his downfall. He feared losing to communism, and at the time, this would be the death of any politician--which is why maybe some of us are not as endeared with politicians as our saviors as others herein. Someone who was less a politician and more of a historian or political scientist, or simply more pragmatic and less ideological, could see that US troop involvement--getting 59K Americans killed, while tearing the country apart--only delayed the inevitable, and might do the right thing, rather than the political thing.

if it weren't for Robert McNamara feeding (bleep) into lyndon ear than the war in Vietnam would ended a lot sooner than it did

Nixon Prolonged Vietnam War for Political Gain—And Johnson Knew About It, Newly Unclassified Tapes Suggest

LINK

Quote:
Though the basic story of Nixon’s involvement in stalling the Vietnam peace talks has been around before, the new tapes, says the Atlantic Wire, describe how President Johnson knew all about the on-goings but chose not to bring them to the public’s attention: he thought that his intended successor, Hubert Humphrey, was going to beat Nixon in the upcoming election anyway. And, by revealing that he knew about Nixon’s dealings, he’d also have to admit to having spied on the South Vietnamese ambassador.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

The Korean War?

LINK

Yes, I know. M*A*S*H is one of my favorite movies. But you do realize that LBJ was not President during that war, right?

Yes, I was referring to Eisenhower and his involvment. I wonder how many of that M*A*S*H* crew is still living?

A fair number.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
None. Too much power in the executive already.

True, although given the nature of Congress, that's either a really bad or perfect thing depending upon the President.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I have vague memories of the Vietnam war being prolong so Reagan could take credit for ending it.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I have vague memories of the Vietnam war being prolong so Reagan could take credit for ending it.

The vietnam war ended for the US in 1973. Reagan took office in 1981.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The vietnam war ended for the US in 1973. Reagan took office in 1981.

OK. Don't know where it come from. It's something I vaguely remember.

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Some argue that the Iranian hostage crisis was extended so Reagan could take credit for ending it and prevent Carter from receiving the boon of an October surprise.

Last edited by Cutheon on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Some argue that the Iranian hostage crisis was extended so Reagan could take credit for it and prevent Carter from receiving the boon of an October surprise.

Thanks that may have been my vague memory. I connected it to Vietnam.

ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Some argue that the Iranian hostage crisis was extended so Reagan could take credit for ending it and prevent Carter from receiving the boon of an October surprise.

Some, and that would be Republicans--who see cause and effect whenever the chance when it benefits them, despite the remoteness of linkage of cause to effect--say it was a St. Reagan miracle, that on the very day of his inauguration, Iran said uncle.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Some, and that would be Republicans--who see cause and effect whenever the chance when it benefits them, despite the remoteness of linkage of cause to effect--say it was a St. Reagan miracle, that on the very day of his inauguration, Iran said uncle.

Twenty minutes into his inauguration.....Saint Reagan indeed. Oh, and those later shipments of arms, coordination with Israel, unfreezing of assets....totally unrelated. Just more good governance from the Teflon President.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

The Korean War?

LINK

Yes, I know. M*A*S*H is one of my favorite movies. But you do realize that LBJ was not President during that war, right?

Yes, I was referring to Eisenhower and his involvment. I wonder how many of that M*A*S*H* crew is still living?

You said LBJ, but never mind. As for the movie, Roger Bowen (Col. Blake) and David Arkin (Sgt. Vollmer, the stiff NCO who is constantly perplexed) died a long time ago. All of the other major actors are still alive, but very old.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: If Presidents could serve more than two terms

jodeke wrote:
Since FDR there have been 6 two term Presidents. Given the opportunity, who would you vote to serve a third term? I add John F Kennedy though he didn't serve two terms because he was assassinated.

Barack Obama
George W Bush
Bill Clinton
Ronald Reagan
Dwight D Eisenhower
Harry S Truman
John F Kennedy

well since i wasnt able to vote until 2004, and i had to chose in the 16 election for a third term, i would say Obama, not that im a huge fan of his, given he ruined health insurance and i dont have ins with my current job. That aside he at least, does good for the office of the presidency and brings respect other nations have for the USA.

Aside from that, Obama would have taken Trump to the cleaners and then some

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: If Presidents could serve more than two terms

DrWolf wrote:

Couldn't agree more. And the country would be in a better position domestically and internationally with Barack.

But I'm happy for Barack. He's looked healthier physically since leaving office (e.g. less grey hair). I've always looked at Presidential term limits as a good idea for not only the country (avoiding a monarchy) but for the President as well.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

The Korean War?

LINK

You said LBJ, but never mind. As for the movie, Roger Bowen (Col. Blake) and David Arkin (Sgt. Vollmer, the stiff NCO who is constantly perplexed) died a long time ago. All of the other major actors are still alive, but very old.

Yeah, oddly, the tv show, which came later, has had more attrition.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: If Presidents could serve more than two terms

DrWolf wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Since FDR there have been 6 two term Presidents. Given the opportunity, who would you vote to serve a third term? I add John F Kennedy though he didn't serve two terms because he was assassinated.

Barack Obama
George W Bush
Bill Clinton
Ronald Reagan
Dwight D Eisenhower
Harry S Truman
John F Kennedy

well since i wasnt able to vote until 2004, and i had to chose in the 16 election for a third term, i would say Obama, not that im a huge fan of his, given he ruined health insurance and i dont have ins with my current job. That aside he at least, does good for the office of the presidency and brings respect other nations have for the USA.

Aside from all that, you might have some facts mixed up re Obama and insurance.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: If Presidents could serve more than two terms

Omar Little wrote:
DrWolf wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Barack Obama
George W Bush
Bill Clinton
Ronald Reagan
Dwight D Eisenhower
Harry S Truman
John F Kennedy

no further comment, just to keep it peaceful

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
rwongega wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

The Korean War?

LINK

Yep. LBJ was President during the Revolutionary War. He surrendered West Point to the French.

Was that before or after Macho Man Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan piledrived Hitler off the cage during Wrestlemania 10?

Before. Remember, that event freed the slaves of Egypt.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

The Korean War?

LINK

Quote:
On LBJ I think he was overwhelmed by the Korean war and the assassination of JFK.

You make a good case for Ike. I liked him as a President. I liked Harry "The Buck Stops Here" Truman also.

I was referring to the exchange between EldenCampbell and my self in the post just above yours on page 1 of this thread.

But this is a distraction.

On the poll results to date Obama is a runaway. I'n surprised by the wide gap.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: If Presidents could serve more than two terms

DrWolf wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DrWolf wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Barack Obama
George W Bush
Bill Clinton
Ronald Reagan
Dwight D Eisenhower
Harry S Truman
John F Kennedy

The old hit and run eh?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Obama, considering the options we had after
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
Obama, considering the options we had after

They were descending. That's all there were.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
On LBJ I think he was overwhelmed by the Korean war and the assassination of JFK.

You make a good case for Ike. I liked him as a President. I liked Harry "The Buck Stops Here" Truman also.

I was referring to the exchange between EldenCampbell and my self in the post just above yours on page 1 of this thread.

See above.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:

See above.

My bad. It was a typo, I meant Vietnam. I now understand your question, my mistake.

DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: If Presidents could serve more than two terms

Omar Little wrote:
DrWolf wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DrWolf wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Barack Obama
George W Bush
Bill Clinton
Ronald Reagan
Dwight D Eisenhower
Harry S Truman
John F Kennedy

The old hit and run eh?

To keep it civil.. your welcome to PM me if you wanna talk more about this topic going

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: