How L.A. Lakers Could Trade Julius Randle, Larry Nance, Jordan Clarkson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the article that lists interesting options that are available

Any team that has a record like what our lakers have will always have rumors about changes to improve the team, especially a roster that has talent (that gives Magic and Rob some leverage)

JC and Randle are talented players that other teams want

Is it noteworthy noting how well JC and Randle have improved in specific aspects of their games that they have stated are high priority. In JC’s case, it was defense. In Randle’s case, it was developing a mid-range game on offense.

FO’s most immediate question is whether to keep or trade Randle because of his anticipated contractural requests in the off-season. Is an undersized Center worth a max contract
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Yeah, trading for Noel means: 1) we may PAY him next summer, or 2) we're just shuffling chairs on the Titanic and praying that Rich Paul/LBJ won't sink the boat in July 2018.

Damn, I thought we got his Bird rights so could hold his rights with just his 7.9 cap hold. Bummer.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

The issue I have with trading Randle is he is talented. To me, his biggest issue is mental, he still does too many stupid plays and gets careless with the ball. If he could cut down the turnovers, he might still be a really good player. Defensively, he can guard almost any position excpet for ultra quick guards and really tall big men.

Its still a risk to trade him. Me, I would trade Clarkson since his D isnt great and I think hes the easiest guy to replace. And he appears to be the easiest to trade too.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Bad ideas to dump young talent primary for salary relief.

That mindset will keep you at the bottom of the heap.

It's like trading Andrew Bynum. "Ship his ass out"? Only for him to have an all-star level breakthrough year with another team?

JR is certainly playing at the level where keeping him might provide most value. Trading him for mere cap space is plain stupid. So far the two-max plan is nothing but a pipe dream.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject:

you're chasing an inside straight
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
It appears that his cap hold with Dallas would be just under $8 million.

37. How much do free agents count toward team salary?

Quote:

Larry Bird, not coming off rookie scale contract Below the average salary1 190% of his previous salary2

$4,187,599 * 190% = $7,956,438

If he would be traded during the season and have his Bird Rights extinguished, then his cap hold should reflect that change.

Quote:

Non-Bird Any 120% of his previous salary2

$4,187,599 * 120% = $5,025,119

that cap hold of 5 mil, just maybe, would be inviting to the Lakers
to keep him as insurance during the 2018 free agency period. plus, given the kcp plan,maybe noel ups on a cheap one year if he has a guarentee he's the starting center.
without lopez or cousins, there may not be a better option.

Noel would have to okay/approve a trade during the season. They already have a working relationship with his agent and the expectation is that Rich Paul will ask what to expect in contract negotiations. If they tell him that Noel will be a high priority, then they will create a trust issue if they switch and made him an insurance/backup plan. If they are upfront with the agent and say that Noel will be an insurance/backup plan, then Noel will be less likely to accept the trade.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
The issue I have with trading Randle is he is talented. To me, his biggest issue is mental, he still does too many stupid plays and gets careless with the ball. If he could cut down the turnovers, he might still be a really good player. Defensively, he can guard almost any position excpet for ultra quick guards and really tall big men.

Its still a risk to trade him. Me, I would trade Clarkson since his D isnt great and I think hes the easiest guy to replace. And he appears to be the easiest to trade too.
Greatest issue associated with Randle is his upcoming contract - is he a Max Contract player for the Lakers, as an undersized starting/backup center. Can he, whether at C or PF, actually close at the rim and/or defend the rim on defense with effectiveness against the elite teams.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject:

eh, the market won't be that high - few teams will have the cap room and there are bigger names way ahead of randle
Greatness
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
eh, the market won't be that high - few teams will have the cap room and there are bigger names way ahead of randle
Personally feel his salary range could be around the MLE area (maybe 10-12M).
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject:

Expecting tiers somewhat like this

1. Cap space -- 8 teams (highside)
2. MLE of $8.6 million - 14 teams
3. Room Exception of $4.4 million - 8 teams

Randle's destiny is most likely the MLE unless the team with his Bird Rights is magnanimous.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:

Greatest issue associated with Randle is his upcoming contract - is he a Max Contract player for the Lakers, as an undersized starting/backup center. Can he, whether at C or PF, actually close at the rim and/or defend the rim on defense with effectiveness against the elite teams.

Randle's defense has improved, but I don't see him ever becoming a rim-protecting big. In my mind, it would be foolish to bank on that happening.

I can't see any team throwing a max contract him. If the Lakers don't trade him, I suspect we'll wait and see if he gets any offers and decide to match. If we strike out on free agents ourselves, me might offer him something in the $10-12 million range.

It wouldn't shock me to see him take the qualifying offer and become unrestricted next year.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

So is the Bradley idea a possibility is it just pure speculation? I also think it would be funny if we were to bring on Bradley with KCP on the team...
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

It appears that Reggie Jackson will be out until at least the February trade deadline and the Pistons are still in the playoff hunt.

What is being sent to Detroit to have them possibly give up on the playoffs this season?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Bad ideas to dump young talent primary for salary relief.

That mindset will keep you at the bottom of the heap.

It's like trading Andrew Bynum. "Ship his ass out"? Only for him to have an all-star level breakthrough year with another team?

JR is certainly playing at the level where keeping him might provide most value. Trading him for mere cap space is plain stupid. So far the two-max plan is nothing but a pipe dream.

What was the other team with whom Bynum had the breakout season?

WRT to moving JR, JC, LNJ, etc. - there are no sacred cows on the 14th best team in the Western Conference, up to and including Lonzo.

If you improve the team (which includes creating cap space) do it, provided you have workable Plans A & B for the space.

We shipped out Moz/DLO for a #1 & an expiring. Lots of folks pissed & moaned about that one. 6 months later, the #1 (Kuzma) looks like a better fit than DLO . . . and we created $21 million in capspace.

Unbunch your panties.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
So is the Bradley idea a possibility is it just pure speculation? I also think it would be funny if we were to bring on Bradley with KCP on the team...

The article read like he was merely speculating and introducing his own ideas, rather than reporting anything he's heard people actually talking about
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Please keep Jules. I can live with jc/nance being traded if necessary
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

If he’s willing to take the QO after the season I agree, but if he wants to get payed then what?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Keep both Jules and Nance.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

20+ points, 10+ rebounds per 36 (minimum 750 MP), age 24 or younger.

AD
KAT
Embiid
Randle
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yep unless Cousins or PG become available, I still can’t figure out how Woj got the info that we were shopping all 3 of them, we can’t afford to just dump them in a salary shed trade...
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

[quote="A Mad Chinaman"]
foreveralakerfan wrote:
/... is he a Max Contract player for the Lakers, as an undersized starting/backup center. Can he, whether at C or PF, actually close at the rim and/or defend the rim on defense with effectiveness against the elite teams.

He is not a max contract player as yet. His limited wing span and limited range as a shooter make this so. However, he could be a key key asset playing with a stretch center (as we are seeing with Lopez right now) where his interior 'energy' is maximized. He can help a team to a championship given the right mix, but I don't think he can play 'small center' as a starter and have the group win it all (unless of course you have a 7'2" power forward who fires up threes. Porzingas? Chicago? etc.)
JM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yeah, at least JR is unique. Nance is a great piece in a talent-rich team. Clarkson is a serviceable 6th man type. But both of them can be fairly easily replaced.
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

"He is not a max contract player as yet."

--- he is not a ma contract player because of the market . . . on court value and contract value are rarely congruent
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

20+ points, 10+ rebounds per 36 (minimum 750 MP), age 24 or younger.

AD
KAT
Embiid
Randle

The big difference is that AD actually averaged 28-12, KAT actually averaged 25-12, and Embidd actually averaged 24-11.

Randle is actually averaging 13-7 in 23 minutes, and those per-36 projections don't always hold when a guy plays more.

Beyond that, we all know Randle isn't in a class with those three other guys. He doesn't bring their shot-blocking, their 3-point shooting and a lot of other things, so it's a bit eye-rolling to suggest he is in their peer group because of a 36-per projection of points and rebounds.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If we keep Jules I can understand moving nance for playing time reasons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: