The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1285, 1286, 1287 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Keep Jules. Seeing him battle guys like zbo and boogie and not backing down? Love it. Need someone with that FU toughness.

Leaning towards the Julius over Cousins (if possible) scenario?
Oh nvm, it's julius AND Cousins.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Keep Jules. Seeing him battle guys like zbo and boogie and not backing down? Love it. Need someone with that FU toughness.

Leaning towards the Julius over Cousins (if possible) scenario?
Oh nvm, it's julius AND Cousins.

Good lord. Imagine rebounding against these two. Bash brothers.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
manlisten wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
ah... nothing makes the world shine more than beating up on a fellow G League team... I feel the love in here, I feel it!

Mind sharing his numbers against GSW, Minny, Houston etc?

numbers, numbers, numbers, that's all you guys tout. You never talk about strips, stuffs and mind numbingly bad plays that don't count as turnovers. Against a bad team, nobody notices these things. In a close game, those mistakes can cost you the game.

What's with the techs lately anyway? Julius got properly stuffed the other game and picked up a tech. Last night he picked up a tech for... I don't know what... but hey, that kind of stuff isn't costly either, is it? I mean, Draymond does it and Julius is on par with Draymond, right?

Numbers sure beat random statements of "strips, stuffs, and mind numbingly bad plays" with nary a single video clip of evidence.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
manlisten wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
ah... nothing makes the world shine more than beating up on a fellow G League team... I feel the love in here, I feel it!

numbers, numbers, numbers, that's all you guys tout. You never talk about strips, stuffs and mind numbingly bad plays that don't count as turnovers. Against a bad team, nobody notices these things. In a close game, those mistakes can cost you the game.

What's with the techs lately anyway? Julius got properly stuffed the other game and picked up a tech. Last night he picked up a tech for... I don't know what... but hey, that kind of stuff isn't costly either, is it? I mean, Draymond does it and Julius is on par with Draymond, right?

Numbers sure beat random statements of "strips, stuffs, and mind numbingly bad plays" with nary a single video clip of evidence.

???? HOLY... you guys are ridiculous... you need video "evidence", eh? and you have the gall to ask me if I am watching the games?

I'm going to miss the entertainment of this board when Julius is gone. It's like a penny stock that keeps getting pumped up by overenthusiastic posters. They too have all sorts of numbers and theories which they post constantly at all hours...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
tox wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
manlisten wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

???? HOLY... you guys are ridiculous... you need video "evidence", eh? and you have the gall to ask me if I am watching the games?

I'm going to miss the entertainment of this board when Julius is gone. It's like a penny stock that keeps getting pumped up by overenthusiastic posters. They too have all sorts of numbers and theories which they post constantly at all hours...

No, as little as I think of you and your opinions, I at least will acknowledge that you're probably informed more by confirmation bias than anything else. The exercise is for you to go with a critical eye and see whether or not you overestimate the frequency of Randle's "bad plays that magically don't show up on the box score" -- they definitely exist, but not enough to mask the good things he brings to the table.

Or, you can keep acting smug. It makes good comedy for the rest of us.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
tox wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
manlisten wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

No, as little as I think of you and your opinions, I at least will acknowledge that you're probably informed more by confirmation bias than anything else. The exercise is for you to go with a critical eye and see whether or not you overestimate the frequency of Randle's "bad plays that magically don't show up on the box score" -- they definitely exist, but not enough to mask the good things he brings to the table.

well that's great, I find you guys to be very funny as well... I can't imagine what you guys would be posting about Kwame Brown in this era. Kobe would make his +/- numbers look pretty damn good and you guys would say Kobe had nothing to do with it, it was all because of Kwame
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
tox wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
manlisten wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

You're going to miss it sooner if you don't take a giant step back to the civil side of things...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
tox wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
tox wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
manlisten wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

well that's great, I find you guys to be very funny as well... I can't imagine what you guys would be posting about Kwame Brown in this era. Kobe would make his +/- numbers look pretty damn good and you guys would say Kobe had nothing to do with it, it was all because of Kwame

Actually, the numbers you so strongly deride would strongly point to Kwame not being a good player, unlike with Julius. Come again.
prefuse1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

and is enough evidence for me that Julius Randle is a bad player.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
To the Randle supporters, do you see a significant difference between Julius and Kenneth Faried?

Both have similar play styles and Kenneth’s career metrics are superior and their overall numbers are very similar. Both shoot about the same, Julius passes more and turns the ball over more, other than that Faried is more productive almost down the line. Do you guys also believe that Faried is good and should be starting? Would you trade Julius for Faried straight up? Why do you think Faried has been benched?

To me, almost exact same player but Faried always gives 100%...skill set is almost identical, but Faried is better.

Randlites....your thoughts?

I'd have to disagree with the bolded premise. Jules can do the 2 things Faried did well, and many additional things.

It would be helpful if you posted the numbers you were referring to, or at least the which metrics Faried has been better in. He certainly doesn't have neither more APG or assist/to ratio.

He also came into the league at 22, with a November birthday close to Randle's. So Faried's started his rookie season almost exactly the same age Randle started this season.

He played for better teams, and had George Karl as his coach vs Bryon Scott his first two seasons, which could be arguably his best seasons. He was put in a better position to succeed.

His ball handling, passing and defense are better. He has more assists and a better career ATO ratio. Randle's is positive, Faried hasn't had one season with a positive ATO ratio.

If we combine last year and this season so far in regards to 2p FG% and %FGA we get

Randle: FG% .530 %FGA .528
Avg distance: 6.7
W/93 Made
Faried: FG%.557 %FGA .639
Avg distance: 4.1
W/79 made

If we just compare their numbers this year Randle has him beat in all of those categories. Faried is a little more efficient at 26-28 than Randle is at 21-23, but on lower volume and more limited roll.

I'm not going to look to check, but I'm sure Faried has never shown the ability to switch onto premier guards on the perimeter and then block them at the rim. Randle has shown a lot of defensive potential this year, and he's already stronger than Faried, it seems like he pushes Faried around every time they play each other.

None of this is to say Faried is a bad player, just much more limited in his role and scope. Randle is the better player this year, and he will be the better player until Faried retires.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Per 100 possessions, career

PTS
Faried 22.9
Randle 22.3

Rebounds
Faried 16.5
Randle 16.0

Assists
Faried 2.0 (lol)
Randle 4.5

Steals
Faried 1.5
Randle 1.1

Blocks
Faried 1.7
Randle 0.9 (terrible)

Turnovers
Faried 2.7
Randle 3.8

PF’s
Faried 5.0
Randle 5.7

FT %
Faried 65.5%
Randle 70.6%

OBPM/DBPM
Faried 0.7/0.7
Randle -2.0/0.4

FG%
Faried 54.5%
Randle 47.5%

Numbers don’t lie, Faried...statistically...is the superior player. Randle gets a few more assists and shoots 5% higher from the FT line, otherwise Faried has him in every category. I know that Faried is a finished product and Randle can improve, but their points and rebounds are about the same and everything else points to Julius being a worse version of Faried.

Keep in mind, that when those of us who aren’t big fans of Julius critique him...what we see is a worse shooting, more turnover prone, worse decision making version of Faried. We don’t see a young Draymond. To us, Faried isn’t even getting minutes...we can’t understand why Julius is.

Just giving you some perspective as to the “Trade Julius” mentality some of us have.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for posting those.

You're also comparing Faried's 22-28 years to Randle's 20-23 years. Per 100 posesions will always show people in limited roles more favorably. His rebounds are probably accurate, if he could keep up his motor, but there are only so many assisted baskets and garbage buckets per 100 possessions that one could get.

Regardless, in those years Faried beats Randle by

PTS
.6 pts

Rebounds
.5 rebounds

Assists

Steals

Blocks
Randle's this year is 1.4 per 100 btw which makes it only a
.3 differece

Turnovers
Faried commits 1.1 less

PF’s
Faried commits .7 less

FT %
Faried shoots 5.1% worse

Randle's FTA per 100 this year is .9 attempts higher than Faried's best year, 2.3 attempts higher than Faried's career.

OBPM/DBPM (I'll just leave these how you had them.)
Faried 0.7/0.7
Randle -2.0/0.4

FG%
Faried 54.5%
Randle 47.5%
Randle's this year is 55.4% btw

Randle is more turnover prone for sure, but he still creates more assists per turnovers.

Randle's defense this year has been more impactful than Faried's has been any season. Randle is also strong enough play center and quick enough to play PF. Faried would be a terrible small ball center.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

@FortysixN2: Talk about a rigged comparison. I can see using Faried's career stats since they are better than his numbers from this season with him playing short minutes. But the reality is that Faried had four years of college experience when he came into the league, Randle one. He was a younger player who lost his entire first season due to injury and only shot 42.9% in his first full year, when he was younger than Faried was when he came into the league.

Not to mention that one of the problems with Faried is that (likely due to his four year college career) peaked early and never really improved. Randle meanwhile is still on his upwards trajectory improving each season.

If you compared Randle's numbers this season vs. his career numbers he loses 5.4 points, 6.6% off his fg%, and 0.5 off his blocks. Those are much smaller than the 0.4 assists, 0.1 steals, and 1.6 rebounds that are below his career numbers.

Why don't you compare Faried's career best numbers there to Randle's career best, with Randle's career bests mostly being in this season and Faried already having 7 years under his belt. This is what you see:

Randle: 27.7 (at 23) +5.4 over career average.
Faried: 24.7 (at 26) +1.8 over career average

Rebounds:
Randle: 18.2 (at 21) +2.2 over career average
Faried: 17.4 (at 27) +0.8 over career average

Assists:
Randle: 6.0 (at 22) +1.5 over career average
Faried: 2.3 (at 26) +0.3 over career average

FG%:
Randle: 55.4% (at 23) +6.6% over career average
Faried: 58.6% (at 22) +4.5% over career average

Steals:
Randle: 1.2 (at 21) +0.1 over career average
Faried: 1.8 (at 23) +0.3 over career average

Blocks:
Randle: 1.4 (at 23) +0.5 over career average
Faried: 2.3 (at 22) +0.6 over career average

I think Faried's numbers demonstrate the problem with him. 23.1 points/100 as a rookie, only topped that twice in the next 6 years and barely at 24.7. 17.3 rebounds/100 as a 22 year old rookie, only topped that once and barely with 17.4 at 27. 1.8 assists as a rookie, topped at 2.3. 2.3 blocks as a roookie. Never touched 2+ again, and has generally been at around 1.5. 1.7 Steals as a rookie, 1.8 in second year, decreased over time (1.0 this year, under 0.9 two years ago).

Randle meanwhile has been improving. From 20.2 points/100 at 21 to 27.7 at 23 is a big jump. Field goal percentage from 42.9% at 21 to 55.4% at 23. Assists went from 3.2/100 at 21 to 6 at 22, they are down to 4.1 this year with him handlign the ball less. Blocks from 0.6 at 21 to 1.4 at 23. And his defense has grown by leaps and bounds during that time.

This is all demonstrated well in the net rating of the two players (actual points gained per 100 possessions when on court).

Faried's -6 is second worst on the Nuggets. It's been consistently in the bottom tier of their net ratings for the past three years, after being 3rd best in 2014-2015. That was the only season though where he has been in the upper half of his teams net ratings.

Randle is the top on the Lakers of any rotation player at -1.5. And it's the best by a mile. #2 is Lopez at -1.9. #3 is Lonzo at -2.4. His numbers have held both on the bench and as a starter. The Laker are at their best when Randle is on the court. I don't even see how that is still up for debate. Now that hasn't always been the case. Randle was actualyl the worst on the team in Net Rating last season and near the bottom (only ahead of Kobe and Hibbert) in his first full season. Quite obviously Faried's career numbers have been consistently okay, but he never improved. Randle meanwhile started off as a raw but talented kid and has improved greatly. When you take into account the fact that he just turned 23 you'd expect him to continue to improve over time.

Comparing his career numbers against Faried's is like trying to compare Kobe's first three seasons against Michael Jordans career. You can make an argument for Kobe over his career, you certainly can't when comparing his early years to another guys career because those early year numbers are going to weight him down.

Now my personal opinion is that Randle's rebounding is going to remain similar to what it is now, depending on teammates it may go up or down a bit but he'll always be a similarly good rebounder. His scoring and field goal percentage will continue to increase. His steals probably stays about the same for his career, but his blocks increase. Assists will vary based on his role on the team. This years Randle though is better than any years Faried, and he's still improving.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
manlisten wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Sorry if someone's already answered..

He was tripped(!) driving to the basket. Whether inadvertent or not all players get a tripping call when it happens. He didn't get the call and was rightfully peeved that he didn't.
The God Particle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:
Really good game but still dumb as hell. That play when he missed the layup and Lonzo was all alone was terrible. So selfish I couldn't believe.

Randle is all muscle and very little IQ. That Play was super selfish. He also can’t pass (unwilling to at times) or make plays for his teammates. He also can’t shoot. A good backup but not worth what he’s going to be asking

Do you even watch the games? Or are you just that blind? A guy with 6 assists can’t pass or is unwilling to? A guess somebody has to play the fool.

I do watch games and it's still my opinion he's low IQ but then again...aren't you the guy that claims "Kuzma is selfish" so who's the fool?

So you still think that a player who puts up good assist numbers is unable and unwilling to pass the ball?

2016/17 asst%: 19.3
2017/18 asst%: 14.3

I feel this year, Julius is looking for his a bit more. Which isn't a bad thing in my opinion. I dont know if he's taking that on himself, or if the staff wants that. The other factor is as others have mentioned, perhaps losing Dlo, Lou and Swaggy plays a part in that? I dont have the # of assists he got and to whom last year.

IMO, I feel he's missed a lot more open guys this year than last. But then again, we weren't running like this last year and is it fair to say this years team cuts better than last year's?

A lot of variables. But i'm leaning towards the underlined above.

I think this year he's been really handcuffed (and somewhat rightfully so) by the addition of Lonzo. I think the coaching staffs direction is grab the rebound and find Lonzo which he has been doing. That's where he gets most of his assist opportunities and that's where he got them yesterday.

That's a big strength of JR's and I think the coaching staff should give him a little more rope (despite Lonzo). It puts a ton of pressure on a defense as it did on the Kings when he had the spurt of assists.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject:

Randle has been better than Faried for a couple of years now. I can't believe we needed all of those stats for proof.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
kobeslaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Randle has been better than Faried for a couple of years now. I can't believe we needed all of those stats for proof.

Yeah, I don't know why we should debate this.
You should just watch the game, not just watch those numbers.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
To the Randle supporters, do you see a significant difference between Julius and Kenneth Faried?

Both have similar play styles and Kenneth’s career metrics are superior and their overall numbers are very similar. Both shoot about the same, Julius passes more and turns the ball over more, other than that Faried is more productive almost down the line. Do you guys also believe that Faried is good and should be starting? Would you trade Julius for Faried straight up? Why do you think Faried has been benched?

To me, almost exact same player but Faried always gives 100%...skill set is almost identical, but Faried is better.

Significant differences.

1. You can switch Randle to PGs/Wings. You can't with Faried.
2. 3pt. range.
3. Playmaking. Faried dribbles to finish, not to set up teammates.

Faried is basically Larry Nance Jr in Randle's body.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Significant differences.

2. 3pt. range.

Um, Larry is better than Randle too....
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Significant differences.

2. 3pt. range.

Dude, you just used a terrible stats comparison with Faried that you got called out on. Stop while you're ahead, man...
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Significant differences.

2. 3pt. range.

Dude, you just used a terrible stats comparison with Faried that you got called out on. Stop while you're ahead, man...

Lol, I used career averages....you guys are crazy. Enjoy your boy Randle why you can.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Significant differences.

2. 3pt. range.

Lol, I used career averages....you guys are crazy. Enjoy your boy Randle why you can.

I never thought you were a Laker fan, just someone to come here and complain.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Significant differences.

2. 3pt. range.

I never thought you were a Laker fan, just someone to come here and complain.

Right back atcha
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

Significant differences.

2. 3pt. range.

Using your same exact per 100 criteria to conclude Faried > Jules would also show that Jules >>> Larry.
Per 100

JUR: 22.3 Pts, 16rbs, 4.5 ast, 1.1 stl. .9 blk, 3.8 tov 70.6 ft%
LNJ: 15.4 Pts, 12.8rbs, 2.7ast, 2.6 stl, 1.1 blk, 1.8 tov .681 ft%

I'll add the FTA
JUR: 6.7
LNJ: 2.8

Does that prove something? I'll take 6.9 pts, 3.2rbs 2.8 ast with an additional 2 turnovers over 1.5 stl, and .2 blocks

Like I said before. Faried only has a .6pt, .5rbs, .8blcks, -1.1tov advantage over Randle

Or do those stats only work one way?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject:

I drool at the thought of Julius improving again next year.
How much more?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1285, 1286, 1287 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1286 of 1536
Jump to: