What actions should/ can Lakers take to silence Lavar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Hired hit man.

Otherwise not a damn thing. This is a free country. Everyone, even the people on this message board, are entitled to voice their opinions.

Although I read the third man in the booth and thought a broadcast team of Lavar Ball and Bill Walton would be entertaining in the train wreck fashion.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Who cares really? It's baffling to me how much media attention he gets. Weird world we live in.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I know somebody in the hood that for 50 bucks, a pack of Newport’s and 20 ounce can of Thunderbird, that would take care of this Lavar problem!

Magic, holla at me!
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
I know somebody in the hood that for 50 bucks, a pack of Newport’s and 20 ounce can of Thunderbird, that would take care of this Lavar problem!

Magic, holla at me!

I honestly hope you don't know someone like that
bucketsandbags
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I think winning would pretty much do it.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

bucketsandbags wrote:
I think winning would pretty much do it.

LaVar will never ever shut up. this is going to be a very ugly
and looooong distraction... LaVar is promoting himself constantly, not
talking would go against his ambition.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Let him and Luke square up. Simple.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Actions are simple:
1. Revoke family access to privileged parts of arena. Think some articles suggested Magic ought to do that, and something that apparently Magic/Pelinka already said they may do when previously having a formal sitdown/warning discussion with him earlier in the season.
2. Not allow any questions from the media and/or respond with a generic No Comment in response to questions about him or things he's said.
Bodhi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

None. Lavar has done nothing wrong.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
Who cares really? It's baffling to me how much media attention he gets. Weird world we live in.
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Everyone seems pretty upset about lavar but did any of you actually look at what he said? This whole him bashing Luke was definitely not even the case.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

The guy uses so many double negatives that one never has an idea what he is saying.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject:

On the fact that this is a free county, there is not no damn thing nobody can tell Lavar... not never.

Truthfully, Lonzo has to be the one to tell him to STFU. It has to be Zo. Nobody else will through to him. He thinks he knows best and until his kids tell him to take a hike, he's only going to keep going like this.

I know what I'm about to say may be a little insensitive, and I am not trying to come off that way, but I truly wonder if Tina is the one who could keep Lavar in check to some degree. With the terrible situation she is going through, she's obviously not able to communicate those things now but maybe she could have played a role in taming him a bit. It's motherly thing to do to want to keep drama/harm away from her boy like that.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject:

My perspective on the whole Lavar, ESPN, etc. issue shifted a little today.

My original position was that Lavar was just being Lavar....selfish, loud, and just saying things to both remain a topic of discussion and lay blame on someone for the Lakers struggles. So while I did not support or approve of his comments....not sure what angle I would have to take to claim they were "wrong or bad" on his part. In contrast, I really placed blame at the feet of ESPN. Just an example of a news organization trying to create news instead of covering the news. It is a stretch to come up with a strong reason on why Lavar's opinions of the Lakers players (beyond Lonzo) or coaches is relevant enough for the world's largest sports media company to publish them. Lavar has zero experience in professional basketball or professional coaching. He has a right to his opinion, but ESPN has no journalistic reason to publish those opinions.

As Carlisle, Van Gundy, Kerr and others came to espouse a similar opinion....I assumed that was some evidence my perspective was valid. While it may be valid, today I realized the statements made by those mentioned (NBA coaches) are dripping with hypocrisy. I did not come to this conclusion on my own, but agreed with ESPN's Will Cain's thoughts on the hypocrisy of those coaches. In short, their take is Lavar is not a credible source of criticism, or enough of one to publish his thoughts....even more simply stated, "stay in your lane" is what they were advising to Lavar and ESPN.

If that is true, why for the past year have I had to constantly hear about national politics and opinions on legislative policy from Popovich, Van Gundy and Kerr? Why am I always told that it is a great thing when Lebron speaks about current events and political issues? Did Kerr think that ESPN was wrong for publishing his diatribe on gun control? Did Van Gundy boycott ESPN when they printed his opinions of the U.S. President? Lavar may not be an expert in professional basketball....or even basketball in general.....but Popovich, Van Gundy, Kerr and even Lebron sure as hell are not experts in partisan politics, public policy, legislation or regulation.....yet they (excluding Lebron) have rarely missed an opportunity to lecture on those topics through media such as ESPN.

Carlisle's quote....

Quote:
Those of us in this sport believe NBA basketball is the greatest sport in the world. When loud, ignorant noise poses a threat to our great game, we should all take a stand against it

While you may 100% agree with the mentioned NBA's figures political thoughts....my guess is somewhere near 50% of America consider it little more than "loud, ignorant noise". Should those that feel that way "take a stand"? Or would there be claims that it was a stand against free speech? The point is Lavar is to basketball, what Van Gundy is to partisan national politics, and what Steve Kerr is to gun control policy.....just an American with an opinion.....but if your going to play the "stay in your lane" angle, then you might want to follow that advice yourself.....or if ESPN is irresponsible for publishing Lavar's comments because he is not an expert or relevant enough.....then you should feel the same way when ESPN shoves your non-basketball related opinions down my throat.

Personally, I wish all of the parties would recognize that I do not care about Lavar's thoughts on the Lakers, nor do I give a rats ass on what a basketball coach thinks about taxes, immigration, gun control or any elected official. My preference would be for ESPN to stick to "covering" sports related news.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject:

I disagree with putting Popovich or Kerr's statements on the same level as Lavar Ball. In the first place, Trump was attacking black professional athletes for his crass political purposes (national anthem, etc.), and these coaches merely responded, sticking up for their players. Second, all Americans have the right to talk about their political opinions. It's actually important that people do that.

Lavar, on the other hand, is completely within his rights to say whatever he wants, but he's wrong to sow discord on his son's team. He's completely in it for himself. It's all him and his.

That isn't at all what Kerr and Popovich did.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Actually Trump and Lavar seem to have a lot in common. Loud huckster BS artist who don't care much about the truth of what they say. It's just salesmanship.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
I disagree with putting Popovich or Kerr's statements on the same level as Lavar Ball. In the first place, Trump was attacking black professional athletes for his crass political purposes (national anthem, etc.), and these coaches merely responded, sticking up for their players. Second, all Americans have the right to talk about their political opinions. It's actually important that people do that.

Lavar, on the other hand, is completely within his rights to say whatever he wants, but he's wrong to sow discord on his son's team. He's completely in it for himself. It's all him and his.

That isn't at all what Kerr and Popovich did.

tried to take partisanship out of the equation....and your response is screaming "I agree with what they said, so it's ok.....but not what Lavar said....so it is wrong". Even your framing of the issue is extremely subjective and partisan. None of that is related to the point I tried to make. Those coaches (except Pop to my knowledge) was condemning Lavar and ESPN....mostly ESPN for publishing Lavar's comments, and it is their opinion that Lavar is not credible enough on the subject for a news organization to publish his comments. If that is accepted as true or agreed with, then those coaches have no unique expertise that would give them enough credibility on political or policy issues for ESPN to publish their thoughts. They are being hypocritical.

I am not saying that anyone should or should not talk about politics or basketball...or both. But a media company with journalistic integrity publishing them is a completely separate subject....and basketball coaches cannot tell others to "stay in their lane" then praise each other when they drift out of what some would consider "their lane".

The one item you mention is only one of many these NBA coaches spoke about.....and I have zero need, desire or care about what their thoughts are on those subjects. Can they speak about them...sure, but it is my opinion they should go do it on CNN or Fox News instead of hitting me with it via sports media. I would never tune into ESPN to know what Steve Kerr thinks about gun policy in America.....but I would to watch him coach a basketball game.

You pulled me away from the point....none of my opinion matters or is even related......the point is labeling Lavar's comments as "loud, ignorant noise" because he is stepping outside his field of expertise is hypocritical......when they do not hesitate to utilize the media to do the same thing.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
Actually Trump and Lavar seem to have a lot in common. Loud huckster BS artist who don't care much about the truth of what they say. It's just salesmanship.

again, your just throwing partisan political jabs at someone you disagree with....a lot of people agree with you.....and a lot of people disagree with you....but my point is not about the specific message any individual is provided.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Who?

Let's just win some damn games...!

mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
mookielala wrote:

again, your just throwing partisan political jabs at someone you disagree with....a lot of people agree with you.....and a lot of people disagree with you....but my point is not about the specific message any individual is provided.

No question I agree with Kerr and Pop on the issues I was talking about. But my point generally is when people tell athletes or entertainers to "stay in their lane" and not talk politics, especially in the situation I was talking about (I don't follow these things closely enough to have heard anything about gun control, for instance), it denies them the right as participants in a democracy to have political opinions.

We may be talking past each other to some extent, but I have no particular problem with ESPN covering anything they want to, Lavar, whatever. My judgment is reserved for Lavar who needlessly caused turmoil for a struggling young team. Any normal thoughtful person would not put their son, his coach, and his team in that position.

I'd actually much rather hear Lavar speak about politics. And if I didn't agree, so what. But these comments, he had to know, would sow discord in the team. It's just thoughtless and unnecessary. I don't care too much about it, but I don't respect it.
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
The guy uses so many double negatives that one never has an idea what he is saying.

And you clearly had nothing meaningful to add....your point?
Lakeshow1843
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

My point was that lavar is getting pretty shafted for making an off the record comment and espn running with. He's getting called out by coaches players and media alike. Ijs that in this particular situation he spoke pretty candidly and is roasted for having an opinion that he even said was just from him watching from the outside looking in.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

i don't really care either way. As soon as the media stops providing a platform for him it will continue to surface. To fix it the Lakers need to do exactly what they have been doing it. ignoring it. what will fix it is ZO telling his dad to STFU
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

Lakeshow1843 wrote:
My point was that lavar is getting pretty shafted for making an off the record comment and espn running with. He's getting called out by coaches players and media alike. Ijs that in this particular situation he spoke pretty candidly and is roasted for having an opinion that he even said was just from him watching from the outside looking in.

how was it off the record? I have not heard any claim that Lavar thought he was off the record.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
adkindo wrote:
mookielala wrote:

No question I agree with Kerr and Pop on the issues I was talking about. But my point generally is when people tell athletes or entertainers to "stay in their lane" and not talk politics, especially in the situation I was talking about (I don't follow these things closely enough to have heard anything about gun control, for instance), it denies them the right as participants in a democracy to have political opinions.

We may be talking past each other to some extent, but I have no particular problem with ESPN covering anything they want to, Lavar, whatever. My judgment is reserved for Lavar who needlessly caused turmoil for a struggling young team. Any normal thoughtful person would not put their son, his coach, and his team in that position.

I'd actually much rather hear Lavar speak about politics. And if I didn't agree, so what. But these comments, he had to know, would sow discord in the team. It's just thoughtless and unnecessary. I don't care too much about it, but I don't respect it.

i think we are in the weeds too much....I view it as for example if you were a medical doctor, and I was an attorney......

-- and you make some statements to the local paper about about the facts and legal strategy of one of my trials.....not as a random citizen, but as the local medical doctor specifically and the case has no medical component.

--Then I as the attorney loudly complain to the media about you and the local paper pointing out that you have no legal expertise or credibility in law/trials, therefore the local paper should not have published your statements. They are simply a citizens opinion, but a newspaper publishing them infers they are more than that, and has the potential to cause issues between me and my client....or even future clients.

--you can have any opinion you desire on the above situation....your opinion would neither be right or wrong.

--but if at the same time, I am providing the same local newspaper my thoughts on the engineering and structural integrity of a local bridge being built....knowing and seeking their publication....I therefore am a hypocrite....doing exactly what I was angry at you (the local medical doctor) and the local newspaper for doing. I now have no problem with the local paper publishing my thoughts on a profession/subject that I am neither an expert in or have significant credibility in structural engineering.

The coaches appear to not want ESPN to publish Lavar's thoughts on anything not directly related to Lavar, Big Baller Brand, etc., but are perfectly fine with ESPN being a medium for them to express thoughts beyond basketball. Not claiming they are right in regards to Lavar or expressing their non-basketball related thoughts....but it can't be both.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: