NON-2 Max 2018 Summer Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
I don’t even want to think about it...critical fail if they find themselves having to sign 2 non-Max FAs.

Plan A is 2 max players
Plan B is good deals at the right price or length.

If we move on to plan B we should keep as much flexibility for the 2019 summer but dont pass up on a good contract.

Plan B is generally tough with luck involved and if it’s not plan A then it was extremely foolish to make the DLO trade. He is better than any non-Max FA imo.

This summer its: Hart & 22m vs DLO and Mozgof

Then the trade gets better for the Lakers in 2019 when Dlo becomes a RFA and they dont have to match

Last edited by Lucky_Shot on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject:

If we miss 2 FA plan than the main focus should be to sign 1 yr contracts with shooters.

Belinelli , JJ and Ellington are all UFA. Give them some big 1yr deals. Like 1yr 15 mil or whatever.

And also big man who can defend the rim.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

just some solid players we could consider if the 2 Max plan fails, and we look to punt cap money for a year or build toward the 2020 Free Agency period. Some of them are free agents, and others are under contract but would seem like their current team would be open to moving them.

Tyreke Evans - SG - 2018 UFA
Trevor Ariza - SF - 2018 UFA
Courtney Lee - SG - 2018-19 - $12,253,780, 2019-20 - $12,759,670
Will Barton - SG - 2018 UFA
Darren Collison - PG - Non-Guaranteed in 2018
Jeremy Lamb - SG - 2018-19 - $7,488,372
Wayne Ellington - SG - 2018 UFA
Jodie Meeks - SG - Player Option 2018 - $3,454,500
Thabo Sefolosha - SG/SF - Non-Guaranteed in 2018
Al-Farouq Aminu - SF/PF - 2018-2019 - $6,957,105
Nikola Vucevic - C - 2018-19 - $12,750,000
Nerlens Noel - PF/C - 2018 UFA
Marco Belinelli - SG - 2018 UFA
Ersan Ilyasova - PF - 2018 UFA
Dewayne Dedmon - C - Player Option 2018 - $6,300,000
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Noel- 1 year $10MM
Randle- 3 year $45M
Ariza- 2 year $16MM
Bradley- 2 year $48MM

Noel/Randle
Kuzma/Nance
Ingram/Ariza
Bradley/Hart
Lonzo/Clarkson

I like it. Very solid plan.
Similar to my plan but with Ariza instead of absorbing Smith and Meeks for a pick.
I've always been an Ariza fan.
I think you're overpaying Bradley at 24 mil per year. He's a really solid role player but he's not that good.
Though I'd consider it if it was a 1+1 with team option.
It creates a team that would compete for the playoffs, keeps the all the young core, fills our 2 biggest needs (C and SG) with solid players who play Defense, solidifies the bench, and maintains cap flexibility for the future.

Also agree about Noel (or Dedmon as an alternative).
They start and give us 20-25 minutes, the Jules finishes games at the 5.
Similar to what the W's do with Zaza and Dray.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject:

Robster8989 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Noel- 1 year $10MM
Randle- 3 year $45M
Ariza- 2 year $16MM
Bradley- 2 year $48MM

Noel/Randle
Kuzma/Nance
Ingram/Ariza
Bradley/Hart
Lonzo/Clarkson

Similar to my plan but with Ariza instead of absorbing Smith and Meeks for a pick.
I think you're overpaying Bradley at 24 mil per year. He's a really solid role player but he's not that good.
It creates a team that would compete for the playoffs, keeps the all the young core, fills our 2 biggest needs (C and SG) with solid players who play Defense, solidifies the bench, and maintains cap flexibility for the future.

Looks solid to me too. Just question how realistic it is.

Why are players accepting short term deals when in likelihood they will have other teams putting multi year deals on the table.

Isn't that what we saw last season when many players showed "interest" in the Lakers only to leverage deals elsewhere? If not for having KCP literally drop in their laps the situation would have been even worse this season.

Why would Noel or Dedmon take a 1 year/$10M? Or Bradley a two year. Then you make it less likely by speculating a 1+1 contract? I would not be surprised to see Bradley in the 4yr/$80M range.

Maybe I'm way off on my predictions but I'm just not seeing what you are.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
I don't think that there is any chance of that happening. Magic will not allow this team to look like this for another season. It doesn't shine a good light on him. I believe that Just like Riley did with the Heat big 3, I think that Magic has some back channel shenanigans going on and that's why he punted last summer.

Something big is brewing and that also why the front office has been so silent.

That's not what I'm looking at here. I started a thread for non 2 max possibilities. With LBJ/PG13/Boogie, there's a chance all 3 stay or go elsewhere. Then what? That's my interest here.

I think that Magic knows, for sure, that he can and will get at least 1. The issue is then what? What do you do with the rest of the cap? Do you, barring that he's not already traded, resign Randle? Sign some mid level free agents?

I think that if Magic can get 1 max guy, he will. Maybe the 2 Max guys will have to be spread over 2 summers versus 1.

I think that if we can't get 2 max players, sign one, do NOT sign any mid level free agents, except for a shooter. Punt away the rest and wait for Summer 19 to try and snag another.

I just believe that the 2 max players will happen....THIS Summer. I believe at least 2 outta Lebron, PG, Boogie are coming.
i agree with thise 100%. DO NOT get a bunch of mid level guys to take up that 2nd max slot salary. i have zero desire to be mediocre for ever. since we're already taking L's. we can keep taking them for one more season until we get that 2nd max guy. Unless of course some or one or two of your yougins shows that they are actually max players as well. then we can fill out the roster with mid level guys.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Robster8989 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Noel- 1 year $10MM
Randle- 3 year $45M
Ariza- 2 year $16MM
Bradley- 2 year $48MM

Noel/Randle
Kuzma/Nance
Ingram/Ariza
Bradley/Hart
Lonzo/Clarkson

Looks solid to me too. Just question how realistic it is.

Why are players accepting short term deals when in likelihood they will have other teams putting multi year deals on the table.

Isn't that what we saw last season when many players showed "interest" in the Lakers only to leverage deals elsewhere? If not for having KCP literally drop in their laps the situation would have been even worse this season.

Why would Noel or Dedmon take a 1 year/$10M? Or Bradley a two year. Then you make it less likely by speculating a 1+1 contract? I would not be surprised to see Bradley in the 4yr/$80M range.

Maybe I'm way off on my predictions but I'm just not seeing what you are.

You mean Ariza isn’t going to go from starting on a contender to backing up Ingram on a lottery team?
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
It's hard for me to answer that question directly because I wouldn't have followed that strategy in the first place. But I'll give it a shot. Let's assume that Magic and Rob are unable to sign two of the big targets. I am using the term "big targets" to refer to Lebron, George, Cousins, or whoever else of that magnitude turns out to be available. I am not including any lesser players who get packaged by Magic as max free agents to save face (which is one of the dangers if this goes south).

Scenarios:

1. Total strikeout -- none of the big names sign. Obviously, I wouldn't double down on 2019. I would ditch this whole strategy, fill out the roster with whatever quality players we can sign, and get on with it.

2. Paul George only. This is a somewhat likely scenario. I realize that some people have romanticized Paul George over the last year, but I don't think he makes us a solid playoff team, much less a contender. We'd be scrambling with a handful of other teams for the 7 or 8 seed and the privilege of getting nuked in the first round. I'd keep Randle and target a defensive big man with whatever room with have left. I'd laugh at Magic for wasting Russell and creating all the drama.

3. Cousins only. This is also a somewhat likely scenario. We would need to invest in shooters, even if it means letting Randle go. Even though I don't like Cousins, I'd actually be somewhat more positive about the team going forward.

Thanks for concisely putting into words essentially the same reactions I had but in twenty minutes I couldn't get as near to the point as you did. Great post.

I alter the third scenario (Cousins only) that I'd feel less positive about moving ahead with him on board than going in 2018-19 without having added a big name this Summer. My intuition says he's not a player to build a playoff contender around, less alone one who might attract a second big name to the franchise.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

I hate to say this, but maybe our best option would be to just get PG this summer, then plan to have a max spot in 2021 to get the Greek Freak. He'll only be 26 that summer and is looking like he has a chance to be the best player in the game soon. Lebron would be 34 next season and I don't even see why he'd come here. Cousins seems like a knucklehead and his stats don't seem to make the impact they should. I totally agree with the others in this thread who said there's no way we're contending for a title anytime soon.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I hate to say this, but maybe our best option would be to just get PG this summer, then plan to have a max spot in 2021 to get the Greek Freak. He'll only be 26 that summer and is looking like he has a chance to be the best player in the game soon. Lebron would be 34 next season and I don't even see why he'd come here. Cousins seems like a knucklehead and his stats don't seem to make the impact they should. I totally agree with the others in this thread who said there's no way we're contending for a title anytime soon.

Giannis will get traded before he hits free agency, I bet. But he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table since he's guaranteed to be eligible for the designated player max.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Giannis will get traded before he hits free agency, I bet. But he'd be leaving a lot of money on the table since he's guaranteed to be eligible for the designated player max.

If he were to demand a trade then we should get in on it. I don't want us going after old superstars like Lebron or mentally deficient ones like Cousins.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
slavavov wrote:

If he were to demand a trade then we should get in on it. I don't want us going after old superstars like Lebron or mentally deficient ones like Cousins.

He's a free agent in 2021, so if he gets frustrated in Milwaukee, they likely move him no later than 2020. It'd be a good reason for the Lakers to load up on draft assets over the next couple years.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers are making the same mistake the previous FO made.
They gave up all their assets to go for superstar FAs.
They did not get any. And had to settle for Mosgov/Deng.
The Lakers were smart enough to get good draft picks.

But the Lakers seem to be taking the swing for the fences route again. Without the established core to back it up.

Magic and Pelinka with their immense egos think they can
do anything.
And that superstar FAs will beg to come to the Lakers.

Have they thought that they want to win also?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject:

so if he gets frustrated in Milwaukee

I have always became frustrated for just having to be in Milwaukee
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

I don’t know, the hot dog racing the brat is entertaining
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I don’t know, the hot dog racing the brat is entertaining

I recall one morning walking out of the lobby of the hotel, and the digital thermometer reading on the wall was -6 degrees! I grew up in 4 season weather.....but -6 degrees is just stupid. Parking lot was literally a sheet of ice over asphalt. Why on earth would anyone voluntarily choose to live in that climate that I assume lasts weeks at a time?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Ehh, I grew up in Southern Illinois so the cold didn’t bother me. I only went to Milwaukee or Wisconsin during fishing or baseball seasons.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject:

I don't think two will come, particularly since we're playing so bad. I'd rate PG as the most likely, assuming Luke can right the ship in the second half. LeBron Is becoming a more distant hope when considering the team's play of late.

There is no plan B, a team needs multiple superstars to win and we have none. If the plan falls through this year, it's all about signing guys to big one year deals, then move on to next year.
kevin61
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

I'd love to have the guy, but it wishful thinking. The risks are too great when you haven't signed your first big deal. He's not going to risk $150mil.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:10 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
The Lakers are making the same mistake the previous FO made.
They gave up all their assets to go for superstar FAs.
They did not get any. And had to settle for Mosgov/Deng.
The Lakers were smart enough to get good draft picks.

But the Lakers seem to be taking the swing for the fences route again. Without the established core to back it up.

Magic and Pelinka with their immense egos think they can
do anything.
And that superstar FAs will beg to come to the Lakers.

Have they thought that they want to win also?

In 1 year:

They got a 1st for a career bench guy that wasn't gonna be part of our future.

They flipped that pick for two more which I thought was pretty shrewd.

They gave up one asset in order to get ride of a crippling contract and get back an all-star level center.

They filled our need of a 3 and D shooter while maintaining flexibility for 2018.

I don't see where they are giving away assets to sign a max guy. We still have our core we are building around and we are trying to get back into winning territory by getting all star help. People like to crap on them for all the "extra" stuff (soundbytes in the media, trade rumors), but they haven't done anything that has sacrificed our future plans.

PG WANTS to play here so if you have a shot at some talent why not try and bring in other help? They've already said they have a plan B and C so its not like they are putting all their eggs in one basket.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject:

I actually really like this Dewayne Dedmon. He is big body, great defensive presence and can shoot some 3s. Great with boards and blocks. We do not need dominant center. We need someone to protect the rim and to be able to run. He is quite quick for his size and can switch to guard smaller players. For reasonable deal I will take it.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
I actually really like this Dewayne Dedmon. He is big body, great defensive presence and can shoot some 3s. Great with boards and blocks. We do not need dominant center. We need someone to protect the rim and to be able to run. He is quite quick for his size and can switch to guard smaller players. For reasonable deal I will take it.

I'd love to see him on the Lakers
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

He usually looks like a backup; the question is if Zu and Bryant can hold down the C with one of Nance and/or Randle.
BizLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
danzag wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

He usually looks like a backup; the question is if Zu and Bryant can hold down the C with one of Nance and/or Randle.

Randle & Nance need to go.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject:

BizLA wrote:
deal wrote:
danzag wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Randle & Nance need to go.

Nope
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11
Jump to: