If you could undo one which would it be, Nash trade or Movgov/Deng signings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject:

Start of the season I would have said MozDeng, as we may have cashed in on an asset too early because of it. Now, with DLO IMO being ‘damaged goods’ and where we are in the standings, I’d say Nash as that lottery pick would look mighty juicy and likely lay the ground work for a future contender (Ball, Doncic, Ingram, Kuzma, Randle). No doubt if we had the pick, we would have activated the tank after our losing streak.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
Nash and no Dwight trade. We'd have a Top 10 pick that way.

This.

The pick would make this year a win no matter what direction the season went in terms of W-L record.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

Nash trade. Nash probably goes to Toronto without it and the Lakers sign Kyle Lowry. That probably sets off a lot of dominoes where we wouldn't have been rebuilding at all over these past few years. Moz/Deng not happening would've been one of those dominoes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Hindsight is 20/20 but since we're going through a revisionist history of mistakes-- here are the big ones:

Nash Trade-- ironically, we've yet to pay for it as we've dodged the odds and the hope was that we'd slip into the playoffs and not really ever lose a massive pick, but this seems to the the year we're going to lose a top 7 pick.

Not trading Dwight at the deadline (could have probably gotten that same BK package). The signs were on the wall he was out and Pau was still very capable of playing starting C for us.

Porzingis over DLO-- Obvious one here but KP looks the part of a true superstar, MVP, #1 piece type guy. We apparently loved him but were scurred of blow back and Byron's outdated views.

MozDeng-- just terrible singings that made no sense whatsoever. Though VLF will tell you otherwise.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

I still can't believe we let Pau walk for nothing. I'm sure there were lowball offers, but our pride probably didn't let us trade him.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

The preferred alternate reality ? Both, by avoiding the Nash trade. It almost certainly would also lead to a future scenario in which signing Deng and Mozgov would never present itself as the best next course.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Hindsight is 20/20 but since we're going through a revisionist history of mistakes-- here are the big ones:

Nash Trade-- ironically, we've yet to pay for it as we've dodged the odds and the hope was that we'd slip into the playoffs and not really ever lose a massive pick, but this seems to the the year we're going to lose a top 7 pick.

MozDeng-- just terrible singings that made no sense whatsoever. Though VLF will tell you otherwise.

Nash and MozDeng didn't require hindsight. They were stupid moves at the time. You don't give up 2 first round draft picks for a 39 year-old player. I don't care if it's Nash, LeBron, or Jordan, you just don't. The Nash stupidity was compounded by the fact that if Phoenix didn't trade him to us, he was going to get signed by either the Knicks or Raptors, and the Suns wouldn't have gotten a damn thing in return. We held the cards and let the Suns bluff us.

If we're really going to revisionist history this thing, we should've told the Suns to (bleep) off, signed Kyle Lowry, and let Kobe ride off into the sunset after the Achilles injury and made this Dwight's team. Then we could've signed LeBron, Carmelo, or Bosh that next offseason like we'd planned on, because Dwight would've brought them. Do we win rings? Possibly. Likely not. But we aren't a lottery team for 5 years, either.

Or, scenario B - embrace the tank, don't try to be "competitive" after Dwight walks - trade Pau after Dwight walks, don't sign guys like Nick Young, Kaman, Lou Will, etc. And we end up with guys like Simmons, KAT, and Embiid or Parker instead of Randle, Russell, and Ingram.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject:

I wanted a Lowry + Ariza FA summer the year of Melo. Understand that it would have meant no high draft picks, but at the time, that wasn't even on my radar.

Nash trade, understandable.

Moz/Deng signings? I can't understand that today. Probably could have overpaid them (more) for less than 4 years.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject:

The Nash trade. He was too old and came in with a bad back. It was a disaster waiting to happen. That said, the one positive that came out of it is that the Lakers were forced to tank and got high draft picks as a result. I don't think they end up with the high picks they did if that wasn't the case, just as they picked # 7 the year before the protections went into place.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:

If no Nash trade, then we would have lost one of our 1st rd picks to Orlando for the Dwight Howard trade.

Man this yr is going to be brutal if we end up w/ the 1st picks in both the first and 2nd rds.

1st rd goes to Philly
2nd rd goes to Orlando
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

Nash trade as bad as it turned out, I'm still ok with it. We had to keep up with Miami and San Antonio superteams and we still had an MVP level Kobe and all-star Pau... had to try to win it all

The Mozgov or the Deng trade... the length and the miscalculation of future cap ceiling... I'd rather void one of these trade
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I still can't believe we let Pau walk for nothing. I'm sure there were lowball offers, but our pride probably didn't let us trade him.

Absolutely. On one hand, you can say the Lakers as an organization are loyal and respectful to their players, which is probably the look they were going for with Pau and paying Kobe in his later years. But IMO it was a foolish philosophy then, and even more so now in hindsight, purely from a team building and winning standpoint.

There's no loyalty in sports, because guess what - Pau surely didn't give a damn about us when he rejected our contract offer the following summer and bolted for the Bulls. I don't fault him for that, and I wouldn't have faulted the team for trading him earlier when it was clear he had no future here anyway. Our front office was behind the eight ball to begin with that old school mentality, and got lapped by forward thinking teams like the Celtics. At the very least, there's definitely an argument that we could've easily avoided the first two years of this "rebuild" (during which there was literally zero progress made) by being smart rather than sentimental.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

Nash trade since the Lakers could still try to win and improve each year while still remain in the lotto. They could have used that scout team to get players like Booker or Myles Turner while not being forced to tank into the top 3. Very hard to shy away from drafting the projected players unless the GM is a visionary
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject:

Nash trade hands down no question about it in my opinion.

The Nash trade pretty much lead to the Mozdeng singings, so you can kill two birds with one stone.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject:

I think this year's top5 is composed of better players than Russell, so I'll take the pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Actually it was because we wanted to re-sign him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Nash trade as bad as it turned out, I'm still ok with it. We had to keep up with Miami and San Antonio superteams and we still had an MVP level Kobe and all-star Pau... had to try to win it all

The Mozgov or the Deng trade... the length and the miscalculation of future cap ceiling... I'd rather void one of these trade

The Nash trade was an effort to get Dr. Buss equal with the Celtics. I hate to be that guy but if you have a problem with that, you are no Laker fan. As we are seeing, Dr. Buss was the Lakers.
Thug24Life8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Dwight Howard trade. I still would have shopped Bynum but not for Howard.

I remember that there was a trade discussion involving Bynum for iguadala and filler. Correct me if I’m wrong!

I wanted Bynum for Melo.

Kobe, Melo, Lamar, Pau.

What if we had traded Bynum for CP3 instead of Pau and Odom?

Chris Paul
Kobe
Artest
Odom
Pau

Nash trade is never made.

Man, this is what I've been saying for years. That would have been a nasty team that I think would have contended.
"Kobe is a scientific dawg," O'Neal wrote. "He works out every day, practices every day. Most of the other stars are just dawgs, not scientific dawgs. Kobe will always have the edge because of his range and killer instinct."
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Thug24Life8 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Lakesh0wtime wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The Dwight Howard trade. I still would have shopped Bynum but not for Howard.

I remember that there was a trade discussion involving Bynum for iguadala and filler. Correct me if I’m wrong!

I wanted Bynum for Melo.

Kobe, Melo, Lamar, Pau.

What if we had traded Bynum for CP3 instead of Pau and Odom?

Chris Paul
Kobe
Artest
Odom
Pau

Nash trade is never made.

Man, this is what I've been saying for years. That would have been a nasty team that I think would have contended.

What are the chances of us landing Lebron in 2014 if CP3 was here? Mind blown.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Nash trade by far.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
DangeRuss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn’t undo anything because we likely wouldn’t have ball and Ingram and space for 2 maxes. Every team goes through a rebuilding phase.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject:

It's an interesting question/thread. Kudos op.

I guess it depends if you're just thinking in hindsight or asking what was the bigger mistake at the time.

How it turned out = Nash deal
Time the choice was made = Mozgov and Deng

Can't forget that the Nash deal was part of what made us pre-season title favorites. Also can't forget that Mitch and Jim were looking down the barrel of a gun when they entered 2016 free agency (which was in part because they should have used more of the space to secure assets before that).
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
I wouldn’t undo anything because we likely wouldn’t have ball and Ingram and space for 2 maxes. Every team goes through a rebuilding phase.

We don’t have space for two maxes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Not trading Shaq a year earlier was a mistake. With two years (plus option) of his contract remaining, we likely could have received a better haul for him.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Nash trade. I hated it at the time, and it has haunted us ever since. In fact, I don't think the Mozgov and Deng signings happen if we hadn't already dug ourselves a hole with the Nash trade.

Agree. I wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't give up so much. The guy already wasn't gonna stick around with Phoenix, and he was approaching 40. So they not only give him a 3-year deal but give up 2 first rounders and 2 second-rounders as well? Absolutely awful asset management by the front office.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: