Is LaVar right? Has Luke lost the team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yes, you are the one making excuses. And if you haven’t seen Randle playing defense this season then maybe you should watch more games. He has drawn favorable comments from the coaching staff and media.

Our staff is a joke and the media covering the Lakers have never been known for brilliant insights, it is mostly a motley crew of losers, yes men and wannabes.

[Reported for abuse on GT]
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lavar Ball expands on his Walton comments and mentality

10:00 - 14:00

Whenever he expands upon things outside of sound bytes on clickbait articles, he seems to show that he's a lot more insightful with a lot more good in his heart and mentality than the media tries to portray him.

Here is yet another case of it.

Thanks for the link.
Actually doesn't sound as bad as the headline.

For some reason, before seeing the video, I was imagining Lavar yelling "Luke has lost his players!!!" I wish writers would better add a tone to a quote.
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject:

From "across the pond", the other side of the Atlantic:

Do you Americans have the big picture on how LaVar has made a mockery of the whole COUNTRY?

First, it was the Lakers, even though Lonzo has not been a bust, maybe overpaid, but there is positive coverage, i.e. basketballwise.

But, then add Chino H HS, with LaMelo pull out.

Add UCLA with the China incident where the facebook reality show made it such a deal, and LiAngello got tossed.

Then it escalated to the White House.

Throw in the Sports gear industry, the BBB is a joke for futility. I have bought a BBB t-shirt just to take a selfie and mock the whole thing.

Lithuania basketball is now a bad joke, also. From the talent factory Zalguiris Kaunas the camera is now pointed to this team I had ever even heard of.

Now I got worse. Seriously worse.

He put the coaches association against the media (ESPN). The USA is praised by its freedom of the press law and practices. Bear in mind we had a lot of dictatorships here in Europe not so long ago all thriving on a castrated press.
The Lakers forbidding the press to talk to LaVar?
I am sorry but that is inconstitutional. What LaVar said was not defamation, calumny, vilification of Walton. There are hundreds of people writing posts here saying the same things, and sports casters and writers ripping apart players and coaches and GMs for a living.

I sincerely hope the circus stops, but it just got worse.

If this is handed to lawyers, we'll come soon to lawsuits, restraining orders (Charles Oakley), threats, media antics etc.

Eventually, the solution will be trading Lonzo to the Bucks or Jazz. And sadly, for political reasons, unrelated to his performance on the court.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tilted Brim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:

Do you Americans have the big picture on how LaVar has made a mockery of the whole COUNTRY?

First, it was the Lakers, even though Lonzo has not been a bust, maybe overpaid, but there is positive coverage, i.e. basketballwise.

Add UCLA with the China incident where the facebook reality show made it such a deal, and LiAngello got tossed.

Throw in the Sports gear industry, the BBB is a joke for futility. I have bought a BBB t-shirt just to take a selfie and mock the whole thing.

Lithuania basketball is now a bad joke, also. From the talent factory Zalguiris Kaunas the camera is now pointed to this team I had ever even heard of.

He put the coaches association against the media (ESPN). The USA is praised by its freedom of the press law and practices. Bear in mind we had a lot of dictatorships here in Europe not so long ago all thriving on a castrated press.
I am sorry but that is inconstitutional. What LaVar said was not defamation, calumny, vilification of Walton. There are hundreds of people writing posts here saying the same things, and sports casters and writers ripping apart players and coaches and GMs for a living.

If this is handed to lawyers, we'll come soon to lawsuits, restraining orders (Charles Oakley), threats, media antics etc.

Eventually, the solution will be trading Lonzo to the Bucks or Jazz. And sadly, for political reasons, unrelated to his performance on the court.
Why the Bucks or Jazz?

-Samuel L. Jackson & Wyclef Jean Duet 2009 ESPY'S
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject:

USA! USA! USA!
carlosLisboa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject:

Tilted Brim wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:

Why the Bucks or Jazz?

Because those are smaller markets, far away from LA, where the press wouldn't even bother to cover any LaVar's BS.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject:

I feel like it's necessary to repeat yet this again because people still sound a little confused:

The interview that LaVar did with Jeff Goodman, the one that MJST and several others have linked to, is not the source material of LaVar's original statements about Luke. These are the original statements:

"You can see they're not playing for Luke no more," Ball said from a spa resort in Birstonas, where he is staying while his two youngest sons, LiAngelo and LaMelo, get ready to make their professional debuts with Lithuanian team Prienu Vytautas. "Luke doesn't have control of the team no more. They don't want to play for him."

"That's a good team," he added of the Lakers, who have lost nine straight games. "Nobody wants to play for him. I can see it. No high-fives when they come out of the game. People don't know why they're in the game. He's too young. He's too young. ... He ain't connecting with them anymore. You can look at every player, he's not connecting with not one player."

"Lonzo looked good, but he also looked disgusted," Ball said. "He was ready to play. Four minutes left in the first quarter, he dunked it, getting in a flow and Coach sits him down. Sat him down. Now game goes from four points to 10 to 15 to 20. I don't know what they're doing. If he's ready to play, let him play. Don't try and monitor no minutes, put on restrictions."

"LeBron's coming to L.A. I know he's coming to L.A.," Ball said. "LeBron is not a fool. What's the only way he can beat Jordan? You can't get more championships. Only one way, to say every team I've gone to I've won a championship. Go to Lakers and win a championship, then you're better than Jordan.

"You can't give my son the best player in the league, and don't expect them not to win. Get rid of everybody. Give him LeBron and Gelo [LiAngelo Ball]. You got a 2 and a 3. And it's a win. It's a wrap. Then all you need are two rebounders -- [Julius] Randle and [Larry] Nance Jr."

"Even if you bring in a LeBron or a [Paul] George, he [Walton] can't coach them guys," he said. "What is he gonna tell them? He's too young. He has no control."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21991857/lavar-ball-says-los-angeles-lakers-coach-luke-walton-lost-team

^^None of this was said on camera. It was all said off-camera prior to that video interview. ESPN didn't take anything he said out of context. Nor did they take only a portion of what he said and misrepresent him in order to make him look bad. The above quotes speak for themselves. What he originally said about Luke wasn't limited to mere observation of the players' body language. He tried to spin it that way (and some of you have gullibly fallen for it, unfortunately), but his criticisms of Luke went well beyond that when he said that Luke is too young to be a head coach, has lost control of the team, and even that he doesn't have what it would take to be able to coach LeBron or Paul George. There's no misrepresentation going on here. All of the above quotes came straight from LaVar's big fat mouth.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is LaVar right? Has Luke lost the team?

55 wrote:
troy wrote:
They don't shake hands after free throws

I never understood why players do that. Why would you high five someone after a missed free throw?

Boy oh Boy Lavar, this one will get really ugly.

Have you ever played?
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject:

carlosLisboa wrote:

Lithuanian League is currently #10 in the European Ranking, behind Spain, Russia, Turkey, Germany, Greece, Italy, Adriatic (roughly former Yugoslavia), France and Israel (for FIBA purposes, Israel is in Europe for obvious reasons). Zalgiris is the only team worth of notice in Lithuania, they are in EuroLeague and wins Lithuanian League 8 times out of 10.

Vytautas were 6th out of 10 teams least season and they play the FIBA Europe Cup, the 4th tier of European Basketball tournaments.

BTW, I've never heard of them before. Wiki helped me here.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
I feel like it's necessary to repeat yet this again because people still sound a little confused:

The interview that LaVar did with Jeff Goodman, the one that MJST and several others have linked to, is not the source material of LaVar's original statements about Luke. These are the original statements:

"You can see they're not playing for Luke no more," Ball said from a spa resort in Birstonas, where he is staying while his two youngest sons, LiAngelo and LaMelo, get ready to make their professional debuts with Lithuanian team Prienu Vytautas. "Luke doesn't have control of the team no more. They don't want to play for him."

"That's a good team," he added of the Lakers, who have lost nine straight games. "Nobody wants to play for him. I can see it. No high-fives when they come out of the game. People don't know why they're in the game. He's too young. He's too young. ... He ain't connecting with them anymore. You can look at every player, he's not connecting with not one player."

"Lonzo looked good, but he also looked disgusted," Ball said. "He was ready to play. Four minutes left in the first quarter, he dunked it, getting in a flow and Coach sits him down. Sat him down. Now game goes from four points to 10 to 15 to 20. I don't know what they're doing. If he's ready to play, let him play. Don't try and monitor no minutes, put on restrictions."

"LeBron's coming to L.A. I know he's coming to L.A.," Ball said. "LeBron is not a fool. What's the only way he can beat Jordan? You can't get more championships. Only one way, to say every team I've gone to I've won a championship. Go to Lakers and win a championship, then you're better than Jordan.

"You can't give my son the best player in the league, and don't expect them not to win. Get rid of everybody. Give him LeBron and Gelo [LiAngelo Ball]. You got a 2 and a 3. And it's a win. It's a wrap. Then all you need are two rebounders -- [Julius] Randle and [Larry] Nance Jr."

"Even if you bring in a LeBron or a [Paul] George, he [Walton] can't coach them guys," he said. "What is he gonna tell them? He's too young. He has no control."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21991857/lavar-ball-says-los-angeles-lakers-coach-luke-walton-lost-team

^^None of this was said on camera. It was all said off-camera prior to that video interview. ESPN didn't take anything he said out of context. Nor did they take only a portion of what he said and misrepresent him in order to make him look bad. The above quotes speak for themselves. What he originally said about Luke wasn't limited to mere observation of the players' body language. He tried to spin it that way (and some of you have gullibly fallen for it, unfortunately), but his criticisms of Luke went well beyond that when he said that Luke is too young to be a head coach, has lost control of the team, and even that he doesn't have what it would take to be able to coach LeBron or Paul George. There's no misrepresentation going on here. All of the above quotes came straight from LaVar's big fat mouth.

Good point.
The camera interview came after to clarify.
What do you think his tone was during the off camera talk? Same as on camera?
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
? Who is deflecting- I gave you the reason why BI and Kuz are not criticized on the defensive end.

Meanwhile JR and JC still can't be bothered to play D after spending years in the league. That is the frustrating part to me about their game.

Yes, you are the one making excuses. And if you haven’t seen Randle playing defense this season then maybe you should watch more games. He has drawn favorable comments from the coaching staff and media.

Yes Randle did play defense when he was coming off the bench, he did very well on switches. I loved it!

But it seems from watching the games that when he was given greater responsibility he reverted back to his old ways of coasting on that end. It is just frustrating to me, he was doing well then backslid. I know there is a lot of other noise going on for him and JC and I am sure that has a lot to do with their recent lack of consistent effort.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

No
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Judah wrote:

Good point.
The camera interview came after to clarify.
What do you think his tone was during the off camera talk? Same as on camera?

It's not that different from any of the other outlandish things he's said. In so many words he was implying that Luke isn't the man for the job and should be fired. There's no other way to understand the remark about him not being able to coach LeBron or Paul George if they were to come. He says outrageous things and couldn't care less about the toxic ramifications of it. I'm sure even Paul George is seriously reconsidering if he wants to deal with this.
outkast100
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

[quote="Fortysixn2"]
GoldenThroat wrote:
Oh, and who's ready for "Lakers Interim Head Coach, Brian Shaw?!?!"

Beyond the fact that Bshaw and PG13 are fishing buddies I just can’t with Bshaw.

Fitzdale is out there, he’s a young guy...from LA...likes Wu Tang...and his players absolutely loved him, so there is a lot to like about him. I don’t if all that translates into wins or being a good coach for us....but as much of a supporter and apologist as I’ve been for luke, a change might be needed. The wins aren’t what I’m looking at from Luke right now and this isn’t all on him, but his rotations and x’s and o’s Aren’t good and he’s losing the team and the fan base

I love Luke but for some reason he wants to run the GS offense which is only good if you have 3 pt shooters!
All season I cringe when Ball has to give up the rock prior to making any play with it- which is his strength. We need pnr and inside out play. Lobs, back doors and having ball control the rock most of the time. Everyone else has no idea on what to do with it. BI- is the other guy who needs it. Nobody else can make plays.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Our staff is a joke and the media covering the Lakers have never been known for brilliant insights, it is mostly a motley crew of losers, yes men and wannabes.

It has always been very evident to me that sugarcoating the Lakers was the easiest way for media members to move up the ranks. Its unfortunate to me because I think the best people the Lakers have had (Chick, Worthy, and so forth) didn't play that game and were willing to say something if the Lakers were doing something poorly.

But with Ireland, Trudell, Ding, Ohm, coach Dave Miller, and guys along that line, you know you're always getting something that is packaged very safely and the organization apparently likes that.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

LOL
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Lavar is a genius
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
Lavar is a genius

Genius? hum, I heard a politician say the same thing
recently. How they convince people of that by ranting
about things they know little about is always interesting.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject:

You know whats crazy about this latest Lavar fiasco. It seemed to have pulled the team together even more.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:
You know whats crazy about this latest Lavar fiasco. It seemed to have pulled the team together even more.
bingo.

if anyone read the entire quote. they would realize he was talking generally speaking and about himself as a coach when coaching his sons. he more or less stated that when his teams would get blasted like that he would ask his players "oh yall dont want to play for me anymore?"

because thats what you have to ask when you keep getting lit up like that while on a long losing streak assuming your team isnt trash. we all agree the lakers are young but not trash.

He also stated a few things about the player's action on the bench and what not. was what he said true about how the players are not high fiving anymore etc? If that was true at the time. Was lavar wrong or right?

BUt you are correct. this entire media storm. made the players make a decision. either support your coach by playing your butts off. OR dont. your choice.

They chose to rally behind their coach and play with that effort they had at the beginning of the season..win or lose.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject:

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/nba-execs-agents-think-lakers-eyeing-david-fizdale/#z7escXUqsSXwp1XQ.97
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

I believe that Luke has lost......... some of the team. I believe Julius and Clarkson have checked out on him. Jules has a better mentality than Clarkson, that's why he is able to play well despite having checked out. Clarkson is fried.

I don't believe that Lavar's opinion is reflective to how Lonzo feels. I don't believe Lavar takes anybody's opinion or feelings into consideration when he voices his opinion. That's his biggest problem, he does him, his boys are just along for the ride.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

I'm not an apologist, but I still believe that it's too soon to pull the plug on the direction this team's headed. We'll see if this recent rough patch is behind them. If the last three games can become more of the standard of what we can can expect rather than an aberration then all this talk will become a moot point. The players, including the coach, are all young and still have a lot to figure out, but given time I'm hopeful they will.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
http://www.slamonline.com/nba/nba-execs-agents-think-lakers-eyeing-david-fizdale/#z7escXUqsSXwp1XQ.97

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest piece of (bleep) story that I've read in a while. "Ive got executives/agents saying that they're probably going to hire Fitzdale"? Sounds 100% like the guy knows Fitzdale, and is just trying to do him a favor by putting his name in the media.

No Lakers sources...Just "league executives".
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject:

ShowtimeReturns wrote:

Sure, if you want to believe that. One doesn’t need facts or proof to see what they want to see.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12
Jump to: