Lou Williams should still be on this team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
https://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/248556/Out-Of-Time-With-Lou-Williams
Collin Mcgowan is a bozo and always wrong on his picks for players. Williams was averaging 22.2 points on 44.4 percent shooting from the field, including 40.7 percent from three in his first season with the Clippers this year.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Collin Mcgowan is a bozo and always wrong on his picks for players. Williams was averaging 22.2 points on 44.4 percent shooting from the field, including 40.7 percent from three in his first season with the Clippers this year.

Yup, he's had a good half season for them after a lackluster stint in Houston, but that's Lou: He excels on crappy teams, while making a lesser contribution on good teams. And, as I said, before, if his team makes the playoffs, he tends to crater.

But if you want big scoring on a non-playoff team that plays below average defense, Lou is your man.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I think he is spot on in this case. There is a reason Lou keeps moving around, we are not all just making up stuff about Lou.

I actually like Colin's wordsmithing, it is a change from the regular sports writing. He can be a bozo at times, I will give you that.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Jellojigglin wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:

I think he is spot on in this case. There is a reason Lou keeps moving around, we are not all just making up stuff about Lou.

I actually like Colin's wordsmithing, it is a change from the regular sports writing. He can be a bozo at times, I will give you that.
He wrote an article that championship teams never have 2 dominant guards. Then he went on to explain the Lakers only had Magic playing hard during the showtime era. I guess he never watched many Laker games from that time period.
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Lou William is ranked third above Kevin Durant on NBA players via ESPN this week.

1.Anthony Davis
2.Chris Paul
3. Lou Williams
4. Kevin Durant

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22113062/nba-player-rankings-new-orleans-pelicans-anthony-davis-stopped
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
Lou William is ranked third above Kevin Durant on NBA players via ESPN this week.

1.Anthony Davis
2.Chris Paul
3. Lou Williams
4. Kevin Durant

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22113062/nba-player-rankings-new-orleans-pelicans-anthony-davis-stopped

The good news is our own Brook Lopez has won the player of the week award not once, but twice!

So all we need to do is get four more player of the week winners... Marcin Gortat, Nicolas Batum, Dion Waiters, and JJ Barea.

Is that a ring team or what!
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

If they didn't trade Lou they may not have gotten Lonzo or Kuz
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:

1.Anthony Davis
2.Chris Paul
3. Lou Williams
4. Kevin Durant

I hope Lou makes the All-Star game at Staples Center. Rub salt into the wounds of Laker fans.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

Unless you're going to build a team around him, I don't see what the big deal is. He's still a one-pass offense machine. The Clippers get away with it because Blake Griffin is a secondary playmaker.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Unless you're going to build a team around him, I don't see what the big deal is. He's still a one-pass offense machine. The Clippers get away with it because Blake Griffin is a secondary playmaker.

What about Kobe? He's like a zero-pass offense. Sometimes, it's not such a bad thing to have a ballhog. As long as that ballhog could create offense consistently. You need that goto guy down the stretch in order to win games more consistently. Ingram is trying to be that guy but let's just say he's still trying.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

What about Kobe? He's like a zero-pass offense. Sometimes, it's not such a bad thing to have a ballhog. As long as that ballhog could create offense consistently. You need that goto guy down the stretch in order to win games more consistently. Ingram is trying to be that guy but let's just say he's still trying.

Like I said, unless you're going to build a team around him, I don't see what the big deal is.

At least Kobe could also defend multiple positions at an elite level. Lou can't.

We built a team around Kobe because he was a franchise player. Two additional rings.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

I find it hard to believe this many people give a (bleep).

We were all happy to be trading him for a first when it happened. When you trade players they tend to cease playing for you. If he's dropping 50 for another team what (bleep) difference does it make? He wasn't a part of our plans, he was a part of the Clippers plans and now he's doing well.

Between this and Dlo some of you have real problems letting go of things.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:

We were all happy to be trading him for a first when it happened. When you trade players they tend to cease playing for you. If he's dropping 50 for another team what (bleep) difference does it make? He wasn't a part of our plans, he was a part of the Clippers plans and now he's doing well.

activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:

The other funny was no one was saying after the trade to Houston, when Lou didn't play particularly well for them and then they traded him. It's like pining after the wife you divorce who has since remarried twice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
El Seano wrote:

The other funny was no one was saying after the trade to Houston, when Lou didn't play particularly well for them and then they traded him. It's like pining after the wife you divorce who has since remarried twice.

And you have to resort to hookers for attention
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject:

Are we really arguing over LouWill. Man, the Lakers can't win no matter what they do. LouWill was a ball hog who Luke felt compelled to always play, taking playing time away from the youth. We all complained. Mitch waited too long to pull the trigger on LouWill with Utah and missed on a higher pick. We complained. We didn't complain when LouWill wasn't here to spoil the tank or getting the draft pick that turned out to be Hart & Bryant (although people will complain saying we got Kuzma with the pick eventhough facts show otherwise). LouWill was pointless in Houston. We didn't complain. Now he's ballin' out for the Clips. Now we complain. And I'm here complaining about all the complaints. I guess this is where we are at. 😜
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
activeverb wrote:
El Seano wrote:

And you have to resort to hookers for attention

You have to pay for it one way or another...
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

DangeRuss wrote:
We all wanted Lou gone for a pick. Revisionist history.

Speak for yourself. I understand he was interfering with the tank but I enjoyed having him.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

Speak for yourself. I understand he was interfering with the tank but I enjoyed having him.

I enjoyed having his 15 points a game, his float to the left three pointers, and the now no continuation sweeping 4 point play (although the refs gave it to Harden vs us). Besides getting up and leaving the lunch table from DLO, I heard he was a great locker room guy. And Ingram looked like he cried when LouWill was traded during the ensuing interview.

With that said, I also thought a trade was necessary. Luke constantly played him over the young core, especially DLO during crunch time. Plus we were all in on the tank and receiving draft picks. We went from having 0 first round picks to having 3.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
DangeRuss wrote:

I enjoyed having him too. But I'll enjoy Lonzo for the next 10+ years more.

Lou Williams has surprised me. I'm the resident FG% police. He was a 40% shooter his first year with us, which was on par with his career. Then he had some sort of surge under Luke Walton. But I always felt he was fools gold and will always go back down to his career average. So when he shot 38% in Houston, I was like.. "That's the Lou I know!" Now he's surging again with the Clippers with even higher peaks than when he played under Luke. So that is indeed a surprise. Had he always been this player, then he wouldn't have even been available to sign as a free agent. He would have been locked by Philly, Atlanta or Toronto.

Maybe he's hitting his prime sort of like Steve Nash did in his 30's. But Nash was an anomaly. I don't think Lou is going to be this good throughout his 30's the way Nash kept going. Trading him was the right call, not only for the 28th pick but to make sure we got more ping pong balls for Lonzo Ball. The only Laker fans regrettting the deal, are the ones who don't think realistically about consequences and chain reactions.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

Didn't they get rid of him because he was helping us win games and taking minutes away from our young players? They were trying to keep the lottery pick so it made sense to trade him. Now this year is a different situation, we don't have a 1st round lottery pick so he could probably help us.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Didn't they get rid of him because he was helping us win games and taking minutes away from our young players?

We weren’t winning games with him, we were one of the bottom teams in the league. I seem to remember that he was dealt to give him a chance on a winning team. That Mitch-Morey connection.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Lou was helping them come dangerously close to winning games and he was taking minutes away from other players the FO wanted to get rid of.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Didn't they get rid of him because he was helping us win games and taking minutes away from our young players?

We weren’t winning games with him, we were one of the bottom teams in the league. I seem to remember that he was dealt to give him a chance on a winning team. That Mitch-Morey connection.

I doubt the Lakers cared about whether Lou went to a winning team.

This is a guy who has only played 52 playoff games in 13 years in the league, so he's always been a gunner on crappy teams.

If we got have gotten a better deal from the Nets or Kings, I can't imagine we would have hesitated to send him there.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

I doubt the Lakers cared about whether Lou went to a winning team.

This is a guy who has only played 52 playoff games in 13 years in the league, so he's always been a gunner on crappy teams.

If we got have gotten a better deal from the Nets or Kings, I can't imagine we would have hesitated to send him there.

We did get a better offer from Utah but didn’t send him there. Maybe because the State of Utah only allows one girlfriend at a time.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: