Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 495, 496, 497 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject:

I am fine with the FO not saying anything publicly. Giving even an iota or mention to Levar’s comments would be a mistake.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:
LeBron telling Lakers to hire Fizdale via his mouthpiece Windhorst.

This is my interpretation of the report today
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
I am still on board with trying to fast follow the success of the Golden State Warriors with a faster younger team. What does Luke Walton need to compete with the GSW should be the question at this point. How do we compete with them in a playoff series. Changing the coaching staff makes no sense in trying to defeat the Warriors. Has Fizdale been successful in defeating the GSWs? Forget the Celtics, Forget the Rockets... The Lakers need to find a way to compete with the Warriors.

Dude, it's about Lebron. Fiz could be the most incompetent coach on the planet and you still hire him if it means getting the league's best player.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Luke's staff isnt coming back as is next year, no way, so hire Fizdale as an assistant if he doesnt get another HC gig and if we struggle out the gates with LeBron next year then you have a guy in place to step up
Retired Number
Retired Number

I don't for sure but it's possible Lonzo is the one not happy with Luke and his father is the mouth piece for Lonzo. Lonzo is a laid back kid and probably doesn't want any confrontations. If you listen to Lonzo in interviews about Luke he takes a neutral stance doesn't praise him but doesn't talk bad about him either. It's not uncommon for players to get there coach fired. Magic got Westhead fired and Lebron got Blatt fired, etc.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

babyskyhook wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
I'm not sure if Magic & Jeanie will be okay with pushing Luke out the door because Lebron wants him out

You're kidding, right AFI ?

I'm not saying they won't do it, but it can't be easy. I assume Jeanie & Magic have some semblance of a soul inside themselves. But winning championships means doing whatever it takes and the best winners are the cold hearted ones.

Okay. You're 100% right. If Lebron wants Fiz, they are kicking Walton to the curb and conga lining him to the door!
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I don't for sure but it's possible Lonzo is the one not happy with Luke and his father is the mouth piece for Lonzo. Lonzo is a laid back kid and probably doesn't want any confrontations. If you listen to Lonzo in interviews about Luke he takes a neutral stance doesn't praise him but doesn't talk bad about him either. It's not uncommon for players to get there coach fired. Magic got Westhead fired and Lebron got Blatt fired, etc.

I love Lonzo but he doesn't have the same pull as LeBron or Magic. They are both 10 top players in the history of the league.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Judah wrote:
This is pretty bad. Personally, I don't think Luke's job is on the line at all, but the FO made a huge mistake by not lending public support of Luke as soon as LaVar's comments surfaced about him supposedly losing the team. By all accounts, they did so privately, but as Windhorst pointed out, not doing it publicly has generated speculation around the league. This is probably yet another misstep that stems from the collective inexperience that's overseeing things in the new FO.

If they're really behind Luke they don't have a choice but to release some kind of official statement now. The buck has to stop here before it gets worse. PR nightmare lately. Ugh.

BS. Public support means almost nothing. The number of coaches who have been fired almost immediately after they got public support from the FO is quite long. It happened a few years ago for us with Mike Brown. Hell, not just coaches, CEOs and other executives in other industries have faced the same.

Lavar's comments weren't that bad. ESPN took a quote out of context and ran with it and hammered it home on every show they had. I've been openly critical of Luke, but no way any of this means anything beyond ESPN trying to keep themselves relevant by generating fake controversy.

So public support means nothing, yet numerous people around the league, namely other coaches, executives, and agents, view this lack of public support as a red flag? Right. The fact that this is happening right now is proof that it does mean something. This kind of talk could've been avoided had they done it. Just because coaches have been fired in the past after getting public support from their FO doesn't mean that public support is meaningless in and of itself. That's where your reasoning falls off the cliff.

LaVar's comments weren't taken out of context. They were spoken off camera to the same person who reported them, which was Jeff Goodman.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
32 wrote:

I love Lonzo but he doesn't have the same pull as LeBron or Magic. They are both 10 top players in the history of the league.

Well Magic was only 21 at the time. Lonzo is deemed the franchise player for the Lakers so he has a lot of pull now.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Judah wrote:
This is pretty bad. Personally, I don't think Luke's job is on the line at all, but the FO made a huge mistake by not lending public support of Luke as soon as LaVar's comments surfaced about him supposedly losing the team. By all accounts, they did so privately, but as Windhorst pointed out, not doing it publicly has generated speculation around the league. This is probably yet another misstep that stems from the collective inexperience that's overseeing things in the new FO.

If they're really behind Luke they don't have a choice but to release some kind of official statement now. The buck has to stop here before it gets worse. PR nightmare lately. Ugh.

BS. Public support means almost nothing. The number of coaches who have been fired almost immediately after they got public support from the FO is quite long. It happened a few years ago for us with Mike Brown. Hell, not just coaches, CEOs and other executives in other industries have faced the same.

Lavar's comments weren't that bad. ESPN took a quote out of context and ran with it and hammered it home on every show they had. I've been openly critical of Luke, but no way any of this means anything beyond ESPN trying to keep themselves relevant by generating fake controversy.

So public support means nothing, yet numerous people around the league, namely other coaches, executives, and agents, view this lack of public support as a red flag? Right. The fact that this is happening right now is proof that it does mean something. This kind of talk could've been avoided had they done it. Just because coaches have been fired in the past after getting public support from their FO doesn't mean that public support is meaningless in and of itself. That's where your reasoning falls off the cliff.

LaVar's comments weren't taken out of context. They were spoken off camera to the same person who reported them, which was Jeff Goodman.

Did you watch the whole interview? LaVar walked back his comments almost in the same breath with a bunch of caveats, and later went on to say that he thought the kids were trying their best to play hard for Luke. He also made it pretty clear that he got no inside info from Lonzo so that immediately put his comments in the level of a fan like me with no inside info of the actual dynamics of the team (bleep) about Luke (which I’ve done plenty), except LaVar is a sports parent which makes his speculations even more suspect because he’s even more emotionally involved than any normal fan could be.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

I feel bad for Luke if he is fired. Of course this all could be part of an orchestrated plan to choose the coach Lebron wants.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Luke should not have unconditional support from the front office. No coach outside of Pop should. The Lakers dignifying what LaVar said by responding like it was at all important would serve no purpose. Evaluate Luke face to face, not through the media.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Judah wrote:

People like Ramona and Plaschke create the narrative that Lavar's comments are disrupting the locker room and the Lakers brass MUST respond publicly.

Why? Who cares? He's a parent spouting off. The team doesn't have to do crap. And we have no idea what they've told Luke behind closed doors. But, of course, to the media -- if the Lakers don't respond publicly, then it means they don't support Luke, and have their eyes elsewhere.

This is really the epitome of FAKE NEWS.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

WINDBAG and shelbourne are just as bad as Lavar in terms of controversy.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Judah wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Judah wrote:

Did you watch the whole interview? LaVar walked back his comments almost in the same breath with a bunch of caveats, and later went on to say that he thought the kids were trying their best to play hard for Luke. He also made it pretty clear that he got no inside info from Lonzo so that immediately put his comments in the level of a fan like me with no inside info of the actual dynamics of the team (bleep) about Luke (which I’ve done plenty), except LaVar is a sports parent which makes his speculations even more suspect because he’s even more emotionally involved than any normal fan could be.

Again, that's what you aren't understanding. LaVar's original comments about Luke losing the team weren't said in an interview. You're talking about this one, right?

^^This isn't where he makes the original comments that Goodman reported when he wrote the article. LaVar made the comments off camera and prior to the above interview, bro. That interview was only an attempt to clarify what he said previously. Goodman even says this at the 10:02 mark. Sounds like you're the one who didn't watch it, ironically.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Luke isnt a good coach and won't be leading us to championship. With that said, I don't think Fizdale is that guy either. He's a better coach than Luke but not that much better. But if Bron wants Fiz then that's what we need to deliver to him. Bron is pretty much the real caoch anyway
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I feel bad for Luke if he is fired. Of course this all could be part of an orchestrated plan to choose the coach Lebron wants.

Which would be a huge mistake. I wouldn't agree with letting LeBron pick the coach he wants even if he was already a player on the team, but firing Luke and replacing him with Fizdale out of hope that LeBron will be enticed by it would be awful. What if it doesn't work? Now you've set the team back by hiring a new coach who's going to change everything and will have to build chemistry with the players, which means everything that was built the last two years is thrown away. That's bad. The franchise needs stability. You don't gain stability by going through a carousel of coaches.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Luke isnt a good coach and won't be leading us to championship. With that said, I don't think Fizdale is that guy either. He's a better coach than Luke but not that much better. But if Bron wants Fiz then that's what we need to deliver to him. Bron is pretty much the real caoch anyway

Luke has 4 players in the rotation that he had pre trade deadline last year. He’s constantly having to rebuild his team. Early in the year they looked very competitive and were losing tough ones to good teams, then they fall apart when his best player and starting vet center go out. Those two come back, and what do ya know they’re competitive again.

The only argument is that his team didn’t play hard for him during that bad stretch but most of the guys not playing hard are the ones who know they won’t be around long term. That’s as much on the FO as Luke. I wanted Thibs but am happy they went with Luke instead. I just hope he gets a fair shot and if he gets fired after or during this season, that didn’t happen.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I am fine with the FO not saying anything publicly. Giving even an iota or mention to Levar’s comments would be a mistake.

Totally.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Hire fizdale as an assistant coach. Get rid of the yes men. Put's pressure on everyone.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Username wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Judah wrote:

People like Ramona and Plaschke create the narrative that Lavar's comments are disrupting the locker room and the Lakers brass MUST respond publicly.

Why? Who cares? He's a parent spouting off. The team doesn't have to do crap. And we have no idea what they've told Luke behind closed doors. But, of course, to the media -- if the Lakers don't respond publicly, then it means they don't support Luke, and have their eyes elsewhere.

Who cares if it affects the locker room? Really?
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Changing coaches again would be a terrible mistake. Luke is doing fine with what we have, a team where only two of the starters are likely to be here next year. The FO needs to make some moves and give the players some sense of belonging before this team can truly come together.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:

What if Lebron wants Maverick Carter to be Laker President and Board of Governors representative?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
Hire fizdale as an assistant coach. Get rid of the yes men. Put's pressure on everyone.

I doubt he would accept an assistant coach job when he could get a head coach job.
Username
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Username wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Judah wrote:

Who cares if it affects the locker room? Really?

No, who cares enough about what Lavar is saying to feel the need to publicly respond to it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 495, 496, 497 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 496 of 818
Jump to: