Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 496, 497, 498 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
32 wrote:
I feel bad for Luke if he is fired. Of course this all could be part of an orchestrated plan to choose the coach Lebron wants.

Which would be a huge mistake. I wouldn't agree with letting LeBron pick the coach he wants even if he was already a player on the team, but firing Luke and replacing him with Fizdale out of hope that LeBron will be enticed by it would be awful. What if it doesn't work? Now you've set the team back by hiring a new coach who's going to change everything and will have to build chemistry with the players, which means everything that was built the last two years is thrown away. That's bad. The franchise needs stability. You don't gain stability by going through a carousel of coaches.

I know, and why would they assume hiring Fizdale would ensure LBJ coming. He also told the Heat he liked Shabazz Napier and they drafted him, Lebron bolted back to Cleveland.

Coach Wooden
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
Judah wrote:
32 wrote:
I feel bad for Luke if he is fired. Of course this all could be part of an orchestrated plan to choose the coach Lebron wants.

Which would be a huge mistake. I wouldn't agree with letting LeBron pick the coach he wants even if he was already a player on the team, but firing Luke and replacing him with Fizdale out of hope that LeBron will be enticed by it would be awful. What if it doesn't work? Now you've set the team back by hiring a new coach who's going to change everything and will have to build chemistry with the players, which means everything that was built the last two years is thrown away. That's bad. The franchise needs stability. You don't gain stability by going through a carousel of coaches.

I know, and why would they assume hiring Fizdale would ensure LBJ coming. He also told the Heat he liked Shabazz Napier and they drafted him, Lebron bolted back to Cleveland.

And he left Wade & Bosh out to dry. They all met for lunch after the season, Wade & Bosh opted out shortly after, so they could possibly give Lebron more money. Lebron bolted. Wade got screwed out of millions. Pelinka and Bosh got paid because of it.
SpunkieLakerCat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
Judah wrote:
32 wrote:

And he left Wade & Bosh out to dry. They all met for lunch after the season, Wade & Bosh opted out shortly after, so they could possibly give Lebron more money. Lebron bolted. Wade got screwed out of millions. Pelinka and Bosh got paid because of it.

Yep, he left his "brothers"

Coach Wooden
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Firing luke for LeBron is the dumbest idea. If there is more to this rumor then the Laker organization is dumber than I thought
Lakeshow323
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

SpunkieLakerCat wrote:
Judah wrote:
32 wrote:

It's a win win for me, because even if we don't get LBJ, we'll still end up with a better coach.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Windhorst and Ramona are doing their jobs, report rumors - especially if it is dealing with the Lakers (NBA’s most high-profiled team) and Lebron (NBA’s most high-profiled player) that will get the most national attention

Rumors are different than truths

FO does not want to be on the losing end of the tail wagging the dog - whether it is Lebron, LaVar or anybody else
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject:

The only reason I think Luke could be gone is because Luke wasn't Magic and Rob's choice. And just like when a new CEO takes over a company, he'll probably be more comfortable with guys he chooses.

Is Fizdale a better choice? I mean, he took over a team that had been to the playoffs for 6 straight years prior to his one year. Then he didnt get along with their star player where the 2 didnt communicate for months. Then was fired weeks into his 2nd year.

Lets see what happens.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Is Fizdale even a better coach than Luke? He just had a roster with Marc Gasol and Mike Coley, a consistent playoff threat for years, and they were trash once he got there. Now that may not be all on him, but if Luke is underperforming, what the hell was Fiz doing?

Also, and I hate to root for another person's failure, but hopefully Gentry gets canned so we can nab him up to head up our offense. Luke, Gentry, Shaw... that is the start to a good staff.

Feel bad for Luke at this point but I think FO did the right thing. Acknowledging Lavar means what Lavar says carry enough weight to generate a response. Sometimes silence speaks volumes and I think that was their intention by not responding. I can guarantee Magic won't be doing Lavar any favors though.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Windhorst and Ramona are doing their jobs, report rumors - especially if it is dealing with the Lakers (NBA’s most high-profiled team) and Lebron (NBA’s most high-profiled player) that will get the most national attention

FO does not want to be on the losing end of the tail wagging the dog - whether it is Lebron, LaVar or anybody else

No, Windhorst made up a scenario and then claimed it proved his point.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

What you all don’t see is that media and fans of every other team are actively trying to Bring us down.

- trading dlo was a mistake

DLO gets hurt, let’s move onto the next attempt

- Lonzo is a bust

Then he improves so that’s not the narrative

- Lonzo is disengaged (walking away during fight)

His team mates and players around the NBA like him, so that’s not the narrative

- The other players on the lakers are unhappy with Julius

No sources, got no traction so onto the next one

- LaVar says the players don’t like Luke

Ball says he will play for anybody, that’s taken as a vote of no confidence. The FO doesn’t acknowledge it, taken as a vote of no confidence. Kuzma sticks up for him, barely acknowledged by the media. Other coaches stick up for him...barely acknowledged

- unsourced rumor that the FO has no confidence in luke, fitz is coming with Lebron and luke is out

I’m not saying his is all made up, but funny how the luke thing comes up after a 3 game win streak...hmm, let’s throw more distractions at the lakers. Straight up, if you engage in these fake news BS stories you are part of the problem.

Facts

Team has won 3 in a row
Young guys are progressing
We are establishing an identity as a team

Anything else is noise until it happens. Ignore this BS.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Windhorse's only reason to link Fiz and Lakers is LeBron may like Fiz to be his coach and that is proved by the fact that he tweeted support of him recently after he was fired. Some basis to start a rumor...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Windhorst with the Fizdale connection to LeBron was a little weak. I like Walton but you never know what the front office is thinking. After all they didn't hire Walton.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Yes another coaching change scape goat. That’s all we need. Stop being stupid Lakers
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

If they keep their recent play up, assuming health, Luke deserves another year. Another season of 25-27 wins and of course his ass is on the hot seat.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

I just don't like all the press. Lakers get their first win in 10 games? Read that that they are going to trade Nance, Randle, and Clarkson the next day... They win 3 in a row... Read that they have a planned replacement for Walton.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
If they keep their recent play up, assuming health, Luke deserves another year. Another season of 25-27 wins and of course his ass is on the hot seat.

Not if the FO keeps punting the free agents to the following year. 25 wins is not just the coach or players but the FO responsibility as well to give the coach a good team to work with. Oh and playing favorites doesn’t help matters either. So no Luke is not and should not be on the hot seat.
ltsmash
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

The fact that the media, especially ESPN, is running with Windhorst's comments on the Rich Eisen show is yet another sign of the media's decay.

First off, the comment attributed to Lavar about Luke losing the team is half of the comment. Here's the complete quote: "The guys look like they don't want to play for him. But that's just what I say. The guys probably want to play for him as hard as they can." Of course ESPN only publishes the first sentence, thereby creating news instead of just reporting it. This is not only a strict no-no in the news world, it also smacks of desperation.

The Lakers played it right but not responding because 1) what's the point fueding with a player's Dad? 2) responding to Lavar would dignify Lavar's comments; 3) keep the comment in the news cycle longer than necessary; 4) what type of FO would actually respond to Lavar in this situation - can anyone imagine the Spurs or Warriors front office getting into it with a player's Dad? 5) ultimately, what is to gain from responding?

Windhorst, and by extension ESPN, probably disappointed that the Lakers FO didn't take the bait, need to do something. Hence Windhorst likely called up his sources (i.e. agents & front office individuals) to discuss what happened. I'm sure during these conversations some people wondered if there was truth to Lavar's statements and whether the Lakers may need a new coach. Based upon that, Windhorst extrapolates it to the Lakers not supporting Walton (this is as subjective of a statement as it gets) and that "executives, coaches, agents - who the Lakers are going to hire as their next coach."

After Windhorst creates news out of thin air, ESPN, and other media, starts to report it as if it were real news. Watching a major media company that purports to report news continue to participate in such behavior is sickening. Recall ESPN previously reported Kobe stating thta "Lonzo needs to get better" even though that's not what Kobe was saying. He said the whole team needs to get better and that each player needs to get better now, and not to wait until the off-season. Of course ESPN couched it as Kobe ripping Lonzo.

The need for click bait has unfortunately led ESPN to create news, instead of just reporting it. ESPN has no credibility in my mind and nothing their people report should be given any credence.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I just don't like all the press. Lakers get their first win in 10 games? Read that that they are going to trade Nance, Randle, and Clarkson the next day... They win 3 in a row... Read that they have a planned replacement for Walton.

Hopefully they use this as motivation and make a nice run to get back into the playoff picture
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Windhorse's only reason to link Fiz and Lakers is LeBron may like Fiz to be his coach and that is proved by the fact that he tweeted support of him recently after he was fired. Some basis to start a rumor...

And because the Lakers didn’t publicly address what Lavar said. That is his reasoning.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject:

For my money the whole Luke/Fizdale thing was made up by reporters. Fiz was obviously an assistant with Miami during LeBron's tenure there. So it's probably just click bait... "Fiz, coming to LA is part of the bigger LeBron picture" etc. I don't really buy it.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
The only reason I think Luke could be gone is because Luke wasn't Magic and Rob's choice. And just like when a new CEO takes over a company, he'll probably be more comfortable with guys he chooses.

Is Fizdale a better choice? I mean, he took over a team that had been to the playoffs for 6 straight years prior to his one year. Then he didnt get along with their star player where the 2 didnt communicate for months. Then was fired weeks into his 2nd year.

Lets see what happens.

I don't put as much stock into that as most seem to. When you call a guy a championship caliber coach, say that the team should be built around him, include him as part of your new, collaborative FO makeup, and even draft and make personnel decisions that use his basketball vision as your guiding light (per Pelinka), you're saying that this is who you intend to be your coach for the long haul. Magic and Rob may not have hired Luke, but they had an extremely high view of him when they took over and gave him ringing endorsements that went well beyond the kind of generic PR you'd expect if they weren't sold on him.

It's similar to BI. They didn't draft him, but they've spoken so highly of him that it really doesn't matter. They would've drafted him if they had been here during the 2016 draft and they would've hired Luke also. Luke and BI are their guys just as much as Lonzo and Kuzma are.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

Exactly. He spews garbage ending his sentence with “this all could be fake” (paraphrasing)
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Ingram wasn’t Magic’s choice.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

All you need to know about Windhorst:

Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject:

I was not on board with the Luke hire, because I knew he was a project coach and would require years to grow. But once he was hired, I was in for the long haul. If they fire him this season for Lebron, I will be pissed. I know he wasn't hired by this FO but I've seen growth in this roster. A veteran coach would probably have an additional 2 or 3 wins to show for it this season. I still believe Luke can earn his stripes with this team and become a very good coach. Just have to get him some NBA caliber assistants.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 496, 497, 498 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 497 of 818
Jump to: