OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 837, 838, 839 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

How come Film Guy sounds like a name Steve Mason would come up with? Some Mason names he used with fellow employees are The Ginger Mamba, Boss Lady Pants Suit, Sausage Jeans, & The Adversting Guy (Sliwa).

I for one would like to thank Film Guy for sharing his basketball knowledge with us. I wouldn't know what a Horns Set was, what motion weak was, or Putting the Defender in Jail. I don't watch basketball games the same way anymore, and I've been watching basketball since the Ewing days. Players get even more respect from me because learning these plays and applying them take more IQ than just, dump the ball into the post and let the center bang down low. The only thing we disagree on is the end result of Ingram, but we are both hoping for the same results. Keep up the good work GT!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lonzo Ball = Penny Hardaway/Pete Maravich hybrid

Well, that isn’t a comparison I would have thought of
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Just glad everyone (well almost everyone) is on board now. Who cares when people got on.

Choo choo!
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Jellojigglin wrote:
That off balance shovel pass back to KCP in the 3rd quarter for a triple against the Spurs was dope last night.

I loved that pass..
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
defense wrote:
Dec. - .377
Jan. - .367

three point shooting

I might get skewered for this, but I think his hair had a lot to do with this. The fro was throwing off cocking motion and release...since he cut it his shooting motion has resembled what it was at UCLA.

I'm curious what KIROE thinks, as he doesn't really use the "head space" that KIROE refers too.

A few days ago, I was thinking the hair was messing with him.
So I looked up his #s after the hair cut.
But his % didn't start getting better until weeks later.

Yea... I'm pretty sure it's not a factor with him -- although he is close to using the side part of headspace, that a big fro could be in the way of -- specifically for him, it's the part of his hair that he gets "tapered" or cut low on the side part of your shapeup --- so I don't think it was a factor

And if a player who naturally uses headspace were to cut his hair, he'd have to adjust to the new headspace stroke, Epak

Learned a lot about shooting over the past couple years, didn't know everything when I first came up with that theory --- now I think there are viable workarounds for dudes with hair, and also, about 50% of people don't naturally use headspace on their shot.
Using headspace can be detrimental for a lot of players - Brandon Ingram being one of them - he needs to lower his stroke, he could have a beautiful one motion stroke that finishes high if he did.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

I do think Brook Lopez shoots better with hair. I know he shot well when he had hair last year. I have to look into the stats more. It very well could be providing a natural set-point for him --- instead of using more cockback with no hair
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
I do think Brook Lopez shoots better with hair. I know he shot well when he had hair last year. I have to look into the stats more. It very well could be providing a natural set-point for him --- instead of using more cockback with no hair

Honestly, I think little things matter.
When guys tape their fingers.
When Kuz wore a head band.
But I think there's also a comfort level thing.

I have no idea why E Patyon is allowed to have that hair.
I think there was a meme where he got blocked by his own floppy hair.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Did anyone see Fultz take warm up jumpers in London yesterday? Good god. Almost Charles Barkley golf swing bad.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

That's not even a little thing though it's a 2 inch change. *jokes a-fluddin*
That's a big diversion for a shooting stroke
I'm more open to workarounds now. It's still a factor though, for a solid amount of guys.

The most important part of finding where a players shot pocket should be/start, is the 90degree armpit (learned this from a few online coaches).
1)If your 90degree armpit places the ball around your hairline - you then determine 2)if you want or naturally use cockback on your stroke - if yes to those two variables, you use headspace and will be effected by what's in that space.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Yea... I'm pretty sure it's not a factor with him -- although he is close to using the side part of headspace, that a big fro could be in the way of -- specifically for him, it's the part of his hair that he gets "tapered" or cut low on the side part of your shapeup --- so I don't think it was a factor

And if a player who naturally uses headspace were to cut his hair, he'd have to adjust to the new headspace stroke, Epak

Learned a lot about shooting over the past couple years, didn't know everything when I first came up with that theory --- now I think there are viable workarounds for dudes with hair, and also, about 50% of people don't naturally use headspace on their shot.
Using headspace can be detrimental for a lot of players - Brandon Ingram being one of them - he needs to lower his stroke, he could have a beautiful one motion stroke that finishes high if he did.

Props to you for your hunger to keep learning, man. We may not agree on everything, but we're cut from similar cloth.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Isn't there someone that posts full Laker games? I really want to see last night's game on line!! Anyone here know if I'm right there is somewhere to see it?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Isn't there someone that posts full Laker games? I really want to see last night's game on line!! Anyone here know if I'm right there is somewhere to see it?

Go to tvrex.net
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Just glad everyone (well almost everyone) is on board now. Who cares when people got on.

Choo choo!

I'm quietly waiting for it to be acceptable to say Lonzo is a KAT/Embiid/etc level prospect. Outside of Lakers forums (and maybe even here) that'd be ridiculed but I believe it.

Of course, I've been wrong before
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Props to you for your hunger to keep learning, man. We may not agree on everything, but we're cut from similar cloth.

Ayeee you know I appreciate its. Shooting is just super intricate and fascinating. My goal was always to just help my Laker players shoot better (just want a coach/player to see a video and utilize whatever I'm currently into, on his own accord.)
I don't even put in the work ethic you put studying the Lakers, into shooting, but I've still managed to learn a crapload I swear. Looking at every shooting form, because they're all interesting (a form that challenges a belief is just as interesting as a form that reinforces a belief...is just as interesting as one that is lauded for other reasons.)

Learned a lot here
The nature of conversation - getting asked a question you don't have the answer to, and gaining valuable knowledge from that research.. that is why all conversation as a 'teacher' is good - because a great teacher is always a student....

I'm currently obsessed with looking at a couple different type of forms - the high no cockback form - Kawhi, AGordon, Snell, Brogdon, Bradley --- I previously thought that some decent amount of cockback was needed for rhythm - but I think these guys get that with their wrist and their jump.
Also obsessed with Tatum's unique overt wrist action, along with Courtney Lee. And how the 90degree armpit is the illusive holy grail of how to find your shot pocket
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Choo choo!

I'm quietly waiting for it to be acceptable to say Lonzo is a KAT/Embiid/etc level prospect. Outside of Lakers forums (and maybe even here) that'd be ridiculed but I believe it.

I wouldn't trade him for either guy.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Ayeee you know I appreciate its. Shooting is just super intricate and fascinating. My goal was always to just help my Laker players shoot better (just want a coach/player to see a video and utilize whatever I'm currently into, on his own accord.)
I don't even put in the work ethic you put studying the Lakers, into shooting, but I've still managed to learn a crapload I swear. Looking at every shooting form, because they're all interesting (a form that challenges a belief is just as interesting as a form that reinforces a belief...is just as interesting as one that is lauded for other reasons.)

Learned a lot here
The nature of conversation - getting asked a question you don't have the answer to, and gaining valuable knowledge from that research.. that is why all conversation as a 'teacher' is good - because a great teacher is always a student....

I'm currently obsessed with looking at a couple different type of forms - the high no cockback form - Kawhi, AGordon, Snell, Brogdon, Bradley --- I previously thought that some decent amount of cockback was needed for rhythm - but I think these guys get that with their wrist and their jump.
Also obsessed with Tatum's unique overt wrist action, along with Courtney Lee. And how the 90degree armpit is the illusive holy grail of how to find your shot pocket

Have you heard of the pro shot system?
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Ya I've seen them. And the turn was debunked by a study by Drew Hanlen - the trainer of Clarkson/Wiggins/Beal/Lavine etc . And it's what's plaguing Randle! I really enjoy the @shotmechanics guy's info
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Ya I've seen them. And the turn was debunked by a study by Drew Hanlen - the trainer of Clarkson/Wiggins/Beal/Lavine etc . And it's what's plaguing Randle! I really enjoy the @shotmechanics guy's info

Hanlen has worked with JC before, according to his website. Gonna check out some more of his stuff!
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Hanlen has worked with JC before, according to his website. Gonna check out some more of his stuff!

Yup Embiid too. I'm kind of purplexed at how he hasn't changed Clarkson's form -- they took air off of his ball last year, and I preferred his form/arc the first two years. Wiggins plunge is also unfortunate.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Choo choo!

I always liked this JZ Mazlish pre-draft article in which he argues compellingly for Ball at #1:
Quote:
There has never been an NBA star with Ball's flaws, sure. However, what is crucial to realize is there had also never been an NCAA star with those flaws until Ball came around. He is a unique amalgamation of strengths who succeeds in a completely unprecedented way. It was unprecedented at the NCAA level, so it would be foolish to not at least cede the chance that he could also star in a revolutionary way in the NBA.

The stars the league does not see coming are often those whose play style does not match any past star. Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, and Nikola Jokic all were seen as "low-upside" prospects precisely because their success came in ways the league had never seen before.

Link

His game is so weird that it's going to take folks awhile to process how good he is and then start to imagine how good he could be. Because I can't imagine the ceiling of a dude I projected to be a 6'6 lob threat John Stockton the other day (at the upper range of Lonzo's development, of course).
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Choo choo!

That's kind of a wild statement. I am very high on Lonzo but KAT is a no brainer. Embiid the injury prone argument can be made but health being equal he's clearly above Zo as well.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Choo choo!

I always liked this JZ Mazlish pre-draft article in which he argues compellingly for Ball at #1:
Quote:
There has never been an NBA star with Ball's flaws, sure. However, what is crucial to realize is there had also never been an NCAA star with those flaws until Ball came around. He is a unique amalgamation of strengths who succeeds in a completely unprecedented way. It was unprecedented at the NCAA level, so it would be foolish to not at least cede the chance that he could also star in a revolutionary way in the NBA.

The stars the league does not see coming are often those whose play style does not match any past star. Stephen Curry, Draymond Green, and Nikola Jokic all were seen as "low-upside" prospects precisely because their success came in ways the league had never seen before.

Link

His game is so weird that it's going to take folks awhile to process how good he is and then start to imagine how good he could be. Because I can't imagine the ceiling of a dude I projected to be a 6'6 lob threat John Stockton the other day (at the upper range of Lonzo's development, of course).

I had to see it in Vegas before I could believe it. I've seen too many NCAA playmakers with 3pt shots that never made the L.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Choo choo!

Quote:

Link

I had to see it in Vegas before I could believe it. I've seen too many NCAA playmakers with 3pt shots that never made the L.

Who?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Choo choo!

If you could convince me that Embiid will stay healthy and play 75 games I would. Of course no one could do that.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:

Choo choo!

That's kind of a wild statement. I am very high on Lonzo but KAT is a no brainer. Embiid the injury prone argument can be made but health being equal he's clearly above Zo as well.

KAT is an impressive player but he doesn’t change the outcome of the game the way that Lonzo can. I’m confident that by next year this time, you’ll see a better version of Lonzo than a current KAT, and it might not be close.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 837, 838, 839 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 838 of 1688
Jump to: