2018 Dodgers Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 90, 91, 92  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 1619

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Apparently the Dodgers are now $21MM under the luxury tax threshold for this season after this move. Shedding Grandal could get them even further space. Something to keep in mind if they go after a $25MM/a year pitcher (Darvish? Arrieta?) or pursue a trade for guys like Archer or even, gasp, Machado.

Or maybe they'll want to stay comfortably under it so that they would be able to take on payroll in a trade during the season.


Nah, Matt Garza, 4 years, 68 mil.

For a moment, I actually thought you were serious. Then when I saw who wrote it, and I

In all seriousness, I'm happy they shed a lot of the bad contracts, but this FO sure as hell needs to do something to get us over the top. They can't be doing this "bargain" shopping for the McCarthys and Kazmirs of the world and hoping the (bleep) sticks. Leave the bargain hunting to the Blantons and Morrows who are low risk but big upside and spend the bigger bucks on proven talent that stays healthy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14240

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Apparently the Dodgers are now $21MM under the luxury tax threshold for this season after this move. Shedding Grandal could get them even further space. Something to keep in mind if they go after a $25MM/a year pitcher (Darvish? Arrieta?) or pursue a trade for guys like Archer or even, gasp, Machado.

Or maybe they'll want to stay comfortably under it so that they would be able to take on payroll in a trade during the season.


Nah, Matt Garza, 4 years, 68 mil.

For a moment, I actually thought you were serious. Then when I saw who wrote it, and I

In all seriousness, I'm happy they shed a lot of the bad contracts, but this FO sure as hell needs to do something to get us over the top. They can't be doing this "bargain" shopping for the McCarthys and Kazmirs of the world and hoping the (bleep) sticks. Leave the bargain hunting to the Blantons and Morrows who are low risk but big upside and spend the bigger bucks on proven talent that stays healthy!


And that was the thing with those signings in the first place. They weren't even moves that one can constitute as "bargain" shopping or even sabermetrics-derived signings. The Dodgers were better served just holding on to Dan Haren for just one more season than to give an obvious injury-prone guy 4 years in McCarthy, one more than was rumored to even be offered by other teams. Then to try it again with Kazmir a year later and getting cute with the deal to give Kazmir basically all the leverage in the deal with the opt-out after one season just made it more maddening. I'm hoping that the front office has learned its lesson and moving forward with almost all the dead money coming off that they'll actually start making wiser big free-agent moves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 4959
Location: Central Coast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Clearing all that space though, makes me wonder what the plan is for starting pitching. Do we use that money on Darvish? I wonder if they are going to try to get by with Ryu, Stripling, and Brock until Julio is ready to go (I heard June or July).
_________________
LAKERS 2018-2019: A NEW HOPE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Apparently the Dodgers are now $21MM under the luxury tax threshold for this season after this move. Shedding Grandal could get them even further space. Something to keep in mind if they go after a $25MM/a year pitcher (Darvish? Arrieta?) or pursue a trade for guys like Archer or even, gasp, Machado.

Or maybe they'll want to stay comfortably under it so that they would be able to take on payroll in a trade during the season.


Nah, Matt Garza, 4 years, 68 mil.

For a moment, I actually thought you were serious. Then when I saw who wrote it, and I

In all seriousness, I'm happy they shed a lot of the bad contracts, but this FO sure as hell needs to do something to get us over the top. They can't be doing this "bargain" shopping for the McCarthys and Kazmirs of the world and hoping the (bleep) sticks. Leave the bargain hunting to the Blantons and Morrows who are low risk but big upside and spend the bigger bucks on proven talent that stays healthy!


And that was the thing with those signings in the first place. They weren't even moves that one can constitute as "bargain" shopping or even sabermetrics-derived signings. The Dodgers were better served just holding on to Dan Haren for just one more season than to give an obvious injury-prone guy 4 years in McCarthy, one more than was rumored to even be offered by other teams. Then to try it again with Kazmir a year later and getting cute with the deal to give Kazmir basically all the leverage in the deal with the opt-out after one season just made it more maddening. I'm hoping that the front office has learned its lesson and moving forward with almost all the dead money coming off that they'll actually start making wiser big free-agent moves.


They were called we have no one else in our Rolodex, no other players in our Amiga, and we're too chicken-(bleep) to negotiate with ppl we've never worked for.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
The Gr8 Lakes
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 24 Apr 2002
Posts: 733

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject:

The Dodgers should try and trade Urias and Kemp for Machado. Sign a decent pitcher and then.....bare with me....grab Hosmer. Move Bellinger to left.

Taylor CF
Seager 2nd
Turner 3rd
Bellinger LF
Machado SS
Hosmer 1st
Puig RF
Barnes C

That is right back in the series.
_________________
You mystified at what exists inside

Longtime LG lurker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13515
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject:

^
The Dodgers have no desire to trade either Buehler or Urias. The team believes they are elite young pitchers, and even though Urias had that fairly serious shoulder surgery, reports on him have been very positive. They might be willing to trade other pitching prospects like Yadier Alvarez and perhaps others, but Buehler and Urias aren't getting moved.

If the Orioles did trade Machado, they have no reason to take back Matt Kemp, even if we paid almost all of his salary. An outfielder that they would have more interest in is somebody like Joc Pederson, who still has 3 years of team control left and who isn't a total clubhouse cancer.

As for Hosmer, there is absolutely no reason to pay a $100+MM contract to him when his track record is spotty and when we already have Bellinger. Also, we're only $21MM under the luxury tax threshold, and if we did somehow trade for Machado, he would eat into much of that, and Hosmer is probably going to get at least $20MM a year anyway. I'm all for trading for Machado, as I've said, and moving Seager to 2nd base, but the Orioles want two young controllable starting pitchers (my idea was Alvarez and someone like Dustin May), and I would also give them Forsythe (so that they have a viable major league-quality infielder who can play for them this year) and Joc.

A report also came out today suggesting that it's possible that Peter Angelos may not sign off on a Machado deal after all, even if GM Dan Duquette recommends it. Ultimately, I think they would be crazy not to move him, since they would get way more for Machado now than they would at the trade deadline, or, if they don't move him at all, a lot more than the 1 draft pick they would get as compensation once he signs elsewhere as a free agent. If the Orioles had any brains, they would be looking to move all of Machado, Adam Jones, Zach Britton, and Brad Brach, because they are all free agents at the end of the year and the team is in decline and needs a rebuild anyway.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13515
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Posting this in both threads. Angels are a surprise here, as I didn't think Arte would be willing to pay the luxury tax...

‏ 
@JimBowdenGM
1m
1 minute ago


More
#Angels #Dodgers #Rangers #Astros #Cubs #Twins all showing interest in Yu Darvish according to club sources
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14240

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject:

This will suck if true. Rumors are that the yankees and pirates are close to a Gerrit Cole trade. If they get him, within a span of just a few seasons on the back of a couple of reliever trades, they've revamped their farm system, got under the luxury tax threshold, gotten the reigning NL MVP and might get a former All-Star starting pitcher that's still cost-controlled? Sick. But that just shows why the yankees are still one of the best run sport franchises.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13515
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
This will suck if true. Rumors are that the yankees and pirates are close to a Gerrit Cole trade. If they get him, within a span of just a few seasons on the back of a couple of reliever trades, they've revamped their farm system, got under the luxury tax threshold, gotten the reigning NL MVP and might get a former All-Star starting pitcher that's still cost-controlled? Sick. But that just shows why the yankees are still one of the best run sport franchises.


Yeah, it would be a nice move for them, and Cole was probably unlucky to have an ERA of over 4 last season, given that his K rate was up and that his BB rate stayed virtually the same. He just gave up a lot more homers, but, as we know, the ball was flying out of the yard for many pitchers last season. His velocity was also excellent and actually had a very slight uptick, so he should be healthy.

I would love the Dodgers to try to swing something for Chris Archer (now that the Rays are clearly selling) or Machado, but I doubt it will happen.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
This will suck if true. Rumors are that the yankees and pirates are close to a Gerrit Cole trade. If they get him, within a span of just a few seasons on the back of a couple of reliever trades, they've revamped their farm system, got under the luxury tax threshold, gotten the reigning NL MVP and might get a former All-Star starting pitcher that's still cost-controlled? Sick. But that just shows why the yankees are still one of the best run sport franchises.


I'd rather have Cole than anyone else on the market.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13515
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
This will suck if true. Rumors are that the yankees and pirates are close to a Gerrit Cole trade. If they get him, within a span of just a few seasons on the back of a couple of reliever trades, they've revamped their farm system, got under the luxury tax threshold, gotten the reigning NL MVP and might get a former All-Star starting pitcher that's still cost-controlled? Sick. But that just shows why the yankees are still one of the best run sport franchises.


I'd rather have Cole than anyone else on the market.


I prefer Archer, who has one more year of team control left (3 more seasons for Archer and 2 more for Cole), and he's also locked into lower salaries per year due to the team-friendly extension he signed. He's also pitched 200 innings or more in 3 straight seasons, and in the year before that it was 194. Cole has not been as much of a workhorse if you look at his innings over the past 4 seasons. But Archer would also cost more in the way of prospects, which has to be a factor. Still, I think he might really see his stuff play up in the NL, a la Scherzer when he went from the Tigers back to the NL with the Nats. Archer's strikeout rate is better while his BB rate is very similar to that of Cole. Cole's ERA over the past 2 seasons is a bit lower, but ERA estimators like FIP have been more kind to Archer's work. But Cole is good, so it's a minor quibble. Would love to have either one of them.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14240

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-dodgers-hire-mark-prior-bullpen-coach-020013755.html

Mark Prior hired as the new bullpen coach. Probably to be groomed as the next pitching coach when Honeycutt decides to retire and move into the front office.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 14732
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Heard good things about Prior. I hope he works out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14240

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-white-sox-receive-reliever-001222486.html

Dodgers get Scott Alexander from KC to replace Tony Watson and minor league infielder Jake Peter. Luis Avilan, Trevor Oaks, and Erick Mejia are on their way out in the 3-team deal. Dodgers also send out $2 million in the deal.

So basically:
Dodgers: Scott Alexander, Jake Peter
KC: Trevor Oaks, Erick Mejia
Chicago: Luis Avilan, Joakim Soria, $2 million from Dodgers, $1 million from KC.

Was hoping to see if Trevor Oaks could make the team as the long-relief. The Dodgers don't get any salary relief since they're sending out money, but long-term Alexander is a better fit since he has several more years until free agency while Avilan is out of options. And Alexander is coming off a very good season with one of the highest groundball rates. He'll be the lefty groundball bridge to Jansen since he doesn't strike people out but can induce a ton of double plays.

Not the trade with KC or Chicago that I was hoping to see. They still need a right-handed DH... sooooo, maybe they're still open for Matt Kemp?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14240

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

All Dodgers except 2 that are eligible for salary arbitration have signed new one-year deals.

Grandal $7.9 million
Baez $1.5 million
Fields $2.2 million
Hernandez $1.6 million
Cingrani $2.3 million

The 2 unsigned and headed to hearings are Alex Wood and Joc Pederson. They probably will settle at a number beforehand. The last hearing was years ago and I don't think the front office intends to go to any hearings. Pederson shouldn't be too bad. Wood will be tricky though, as he might end up with the highest amount among all of the players.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Jan 2012
Posts: 4854
Location: Southland Native

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Yu: Anyone? I'm trying to drive the market here... Plz, make me an offer...
_________________
Manchester United | Greatest European Moments
Romelu Lukaku - Welcome to United!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13515
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Wood just settled at $6MM.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 57097

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject:

@DodgerInsider
Quote:
The Dodgers agreed to one-year contracts with all their arbitration-eligible players (Baez, Cingrani, Fields, Grandal, Hernandez, Pederson and Wood)

_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2001
Posts: 14240

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Wood just settled at $6MM.


Yeah, just saw the news that Wood and Pederson signed. Great sign that they were able to get everyone signed. Wood at $6 million is lower than I thought he'd get, so that's good. Now the Dodgers can get back to looking at the trade market to improve the club.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Damn, I was hoping we could get Cole. Houston got a good deal.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 13515
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Damn, I was hoping we could get Cole. Houston got a good deal.


Maybe the Pirates wanted to cash in while it could and knows something? I thought I remember something about him going into last season with some arm or shoulder trouble, though he did pitch over 200 innings. However, he's never pitched high innings totals in back-to-back seasons, and even though his velocity was good last season, his ERA was fairly high. I wonder if they just think he has durability concerns. If he's totally healthy, it's a good get for the Astros.
_________________
It's time to quiet the naysayers and Laker haters...let's go!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

A-Gone to sign with the Mets. Even though his power was continuing to deplete significantly, he was still our only dependable hitter for a long time. I wish him nothing but the best.
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41166

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I have been underwhelmed by the Dodgers off-season so far. Of course, I still can't even get over Game 7.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30203

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I have been underwhelmed by the Dodgers off-season so far. Of course, I still can't even get over Game 7.


Waiting for Davish to sign with one of our rivals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 1873

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

[quote="LakerLanny" Of course, I still can't even get over Game 7.[/quote]

pretty sure the majority of the city feels the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Page 16 of 92
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB