THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 764, 765, 766 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

The Same Democrats Who Denounce Donald Trump as a Lawless, Treasonous Authoritarian Just Voted to Give Him Vast Warrantless Spying Powers
Glenn Greenwald | January 12 2018
Quote:
That leading House Democrats (their minority leader and top Intelligence Committee member) united with Trump to support this bill and oppose reform amendments, was sufficient to cause enough Democrats to side with Trump and ensure passage of the bill. The Trump-favored bill ended up passing by a vote of 256-164.

As the American Civil Liberties Union put it bluntly about the bill supported by Pelosi and Schiff: “The House just passed a bill to give the Trump administration greater authority to spy on Americans, immigrants, journalists, dissidents, and everyone else.” The privacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation echoed that sentiment: “The House just approved the disastrous NSA surveillance extension bill that will allow for continued, unconstitutional surveillance that hurts the American people and violates our Fourth Amendment rights.”

While Trump, as president, is the head of the executive branch, the official with the greatest control over the FBI they just empowered is his attorney general, Jeff Sessions. In other words, Pelosi, Schiff, and their allies just voted to vest great, unchecked power in an official the Democrats have (with good reason) long denounced as corrupt and deeply racist. As Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden (who has vowed with Rand Paul to filibuster the bill when it reaches the Senate) put it yesterday: “This Section 702 bill would give AG Jeff Sessions unchecked power to use this information against Americans. This bill prevents his decisions from EVER being challenged in court.”

But more significantly, the Amash amendment containing the proposed reforms (including a warrant requirement) was defeated by a much smaller margin: 233-183. While 125 Democratic House members were joined by 58 GOP members in voting for these reforms, 55 Democrats — led by Pelosi and Schiff — joined with the GOP majority to reject them, ensuring defeat of Amash’s amendment by a mere 26 votes.

This means that Trump’s bill to ensure his FBI’s ongoing power to spy on the communications of Americans without warrants was saved by Pelosi, Schiff, and Swalwell abandoning the large majority of their own Democratic caucus, and instead joining with Ryan and the GOP majority to ensure defeat of all meaningful reforms. Here are the 55 Democrats who not only voted in favor of the Trump-endorsed spying bill, but who also voted against the reform amendment to require a warrant. Beyond Pelosi, Schiff, and Swalwell, it includes the second most-senior Democrat Steny Hoyer and former Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz

The Intercept
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
The Same Democrats Who Denounce Donald Trump as a Lawless, Treasonous Authoritarian Just Voted to Give Him Vast Warrantless Spying Powers
Quote:
That leading House Democrats (their minority leader and top Intelligence Committee member) united with Trump to support this bill and oppose reform amendments, was sufficient to cause enough Democrats to side with Trump and ensure passage of the bill. The Trump-favored bill ended up passing by a vote of 256-164.

As the American Civil Liberties Union put it bluntly about the bill supported by Pelosi and Schiff: “The House just passed a bill to give the Trump administration greater authority to spy on Americans, immigrants, journalists, dissidents, and everyone else.” The privacy group Electronic Frontier Foundation echoed that sentiment: “The House just approved the disastrous NSA surveillance extension bill that will allow for continued, unconstitutional surveillance that hurts the American people and violates our Fourth Amendment rights.”

While Trump, as president, is the head of the executive branch, the official with the greatest control over the FBI they just empowered is his attorney general, Jeff Sessions. In other words, Pelosi, Schiff, and their allies just voted to vest great, unchecked power in an official the Democrats have (with good reason) long denounced as corrupt and deeply racist. As Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden (who has vowed with Rand Paul to filibuster the bill when it reaches the Senate) put it yesterday: “This Section 702 bill would give AG Jeff Sessions unchecked power to use this information against Americans. This bill prevents his decisions from EVER being challenged in court.”

But more significantly, the Amash amendment containing the proposed reforms (including a warrant requirement) was defeated by a much smaller margin: 233-183. While 125 Democratic House members were joined by 58 GOP members in voting for these reforms, 55 Democrats — led by Pelosi and Schiff — joined with the GOP majority to reject them, ensuring defeat of Amash’s amendment by a mere 26 votes.

This means that Trump’s bill to ensure his FBI’s ongoing power to spy on the communications of Americans without warrants was saved by Pelosi, Schiff, and Swalwell abandoning the large majority of their own Democratic caucus, and instead joining with Ryan and the GOP majority to ensure defeat of all meaningful reforms. Here are the 55 Democrats who not only voted in favor of the Trump-endorsed spying bill, but who also voted against the reform amendment to require a warrant. Beyond Pelosi, Schiff, and Swalwell, it includes the second most-senior Democrat Steny Hoyer and former Democratic National Committee Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz

The Intercept

Political theater my man. While everyone is talking about Trump calling African countries a bunch of (bleep), they're continuing to work together to spy on us. Same coin, different sides.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Christopher C wrote:
Quote:

The Intercept

Political theater my man. While everyone is talking about Trump calling African countries a bunch of (bleep), they're continuing to work together to spy on us. Same coin, different sides.

Same coin on the issue of warrantless spying, sure. On almost every other issue, they are two separate coins (this metaphor sucks)
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Geoff Bennett‏Verified account @GeoffRBennett (NBC News)

Sen. Dick Durbin now knocking down Trump's denial: "It's not true. He said those hateful things, and he said them repeatedly."

Too bad the Republicans in the meeting don't have the guts or morals to come out and confirm. (bleep) bastards.

Don Lemon referred to this as the "(bleep) controversy." Every time I think we've hit another low in public discourse, there goes Trump proving me wrong. I can't believe I'm hearing these things on national news broadcasts, and all because of the President of the United States.

And, by the by, I hate the excuse that "he's just saying what we the average person is thinking." First, the average person doesn't think that, nor are they bigoted and racist like Trump.

Second, when did being "the average person" become the standard for the President? Shouldn't they be above average? Shouldn't they be someone we should aspire to be? I don't want an average person making decisions for this country. I want an exception human being and mind leading us. I hope from this point forward, because of Trump, we no longer seek to elect public representatives who may us say "he's just like you and me." That's not a good thing.

I can honestly say I have NEVER even personally used that word - not out loud, not in writing, not in thought. Nor have I ever had those feelings toward an entire country nor an entire population of people. Just despicable.

I've used the word (bleep) many many times, when describing a certain restaurant or bar, a dilapidated part of town... So the word doesn't offend me. But, being offensive is not what's the issue with Trump here. It's that he lacks any sort of civility, humility or statesmanship. His supporters have gone from fighting against "PC" policing of language to an all out assault on civil discourse. Governments are supposed to be civil with each other in order to work together. His entire nature is to crap on all of that, on all other countries. It puts our security at risk.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hillary Clinton‏Verified account @HillaryClinton

The anniversary of the devastating earthquake 8 years ago is a day to remember the tragedy, honor the resilient people of Haiti, & affirm America’s commitment to helping our neighbors. Instead, we‘re subjected to Trump’s ignorant, racist views of anyone who doesn’t look like him.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Walmart says they are giving $1000 bonuses to long time employees and raising wages on others, all because of the new GOP tax plan! Around $345 million it will cost them.

Also, Walmart abruptly closes 63 Sam's Club stores, laying off 11,000 workers. Is that also due to the GOP tax plan or is that because of Hillary or Obama?

Walmart’s Shiny New $11 Minimum Wage Isn’t Really A Result Of The Tax Law
It’s part of a larger trend that started well before Donald Trump was president.

. . . citing a brand new tax law as the predominant reason for Walmart’s decision downplays the basic economic forces the company has been grappling with for years.

In 2015, back when Barack Obama was still president and tax law was little more than a Paul Ryan fantasy, Walmart similarly announced that it had decided to raise its baseline wage to $9 per hour almost immediately, and to $10 per hour the year after that. At the time, McMillon, Walmart’s CEO, had no qualms about suggesting the broader economy was a main reason for the change. “It’s great to see the job market getting better, and the market works, so we’re adjusting to that market,” he told CNBC.

In 2016, CNN cited the increasingly competitive labor market and a low unemployment rate ― which makes finding and retaining workers more difficult ― as the primary reasons Walmart was increasing wages and benefits.

Those trends have not only continued through 2018, but intensified. Advocates and tax policy experts alike said on Thursday that it was shocking that the country’s largest employer hadn’t raised wages earlier.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I've seen several posters say "Trumps not a racist." After reading this article I wonder if it changes any minds?

Trump complains about allowing immigrants from '(bleep)' countries

LINK

As he rejected a bipartisan compromise Thursday to resolve the standoff over so-called Dreamers, President Trump asked participants in an Oval Office meeting why the United States should accept immigrants from “(bleep) countries” in Africa and the Caribbean, according to two people briefed on the meeting.

“What do we want Haitians here for?” the president asked, according to the people briefed. “Why do we want all these people from Africa here? Why do we want all these people from (bleep) countries?"

The WH is not even denying he used the slur:
Quote:
"The President's '(bleep)' remark is being received much differently inside of the White House than it is outside of it. Though this might enrage Washington, staffers predict the comment will resonate with his base, much like his attacks on NFL players who kneel during the National Anthem did not alienate it."

So no matter how wrong, how racist, how un-American, as long as his base of deplorables approve it's OK.
A video of him raping his daughter may come out, or a tape of him promising Putin anything, and his supporters will still support him.
America is (bleep)!

what this vile creature doesn't realize is that there will come a time when he is no longer president, and that his children and grandchildren will have to suffer for the legacy he has left behind long after he's dead.

You are denying him the characteristically sinister aspect of his motives. He knows damned well that his heirs will never suffer like most people will.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Stormy Daniels.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-lawyer-arranged-130-000-payment-for-adult-film-stars-silence-1515787678?tesla=y&mod=e2tw

Trump Lawyer Arranged $130,000 Payment for Adult-Film Star’s Silence
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Same coin on the issue of warrantless spying, sure. On almost every other issue, they are two separate coins (this metaphor sucks)

Yep. Adam Schiff and other Dems are wrong on this issue, but I probably agree with them on 90% of the issues. Schiff is a great representative and the people in his district are lucky to have him. I could have easily abandoned Bernie Sanders due to his stance on guns and his inability to say anything on foreign policy besides "I was against the Iraq War," but I didn't. Some liberals expect perfection from their representatives, and that's how Republicans win. So to take this one issue and brand Schiff as just another establishment politician and equal to Republicans is intellectually dishonest.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
tox wrote:

Yep. Adam Schiff and other Dems are wrong on this issue, but I probably agree with them on 90% of the issues. Schiff is a great representative and the people in his district are lucky to have him. I could have easily abandoned Bernie Sanders due to his stance on guns and his inability to say anything on foreign policy besides "I was against the Iraq War," but I didn't. Some liberals expect perfection from their representatives, and that's how Republicans win. So to take this one issue and brand Schiff as just another establishment politician and equal to Republicans is intellectually dishonest.

I'm a Schiff supporter. I have to wonder if quid pro quo was involved.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
paymonM wrote:
Buck32 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I've seen several posters say "Trumps not a racist." After reading this article I wonder if it changes any minds?

Trump complains about allowing immigrants from '(bleep)' countries

LINK

As he rejected a bipartisan compromise Thursday to resolve the standoff over so-called Dreamers, President Trump asked participants in an Oval Office meeting why the United States should accept immigrants from “(bleep) countries” in Africa and the Caribbean, according to two people briefed on the meeting.

“What do we want Haitians here for?” the president asked, according to the people briefed. “Why do we want all these people from Africa here? Why do we want all these people from (bleep) countries?"

The WH is not even denying he used the slur:
Quote:
"The President's '(bleep)' remark is being received much differently inside of the White House than it is outside of it. Though this might enrage Washington, staffers predict the comment will resonate with his base, much like his attacks on NFL players who kneel during the National Anthem did not alienate it."

So no matter how wrong, how racist, how un-American, as long as his base of deplorables approve it's OK.
A video of him raping his daughter may come out, or a tape of him promising Putin anything, and his supporters will still support him.
America is (bleep)!

what this vile creature doesn't realize is that there will come a time when he is no longer president, and that his children and grandchildren will have to suffer for the legacy he has left behind long after he's dead.

You are denying him the characteristically sinister aspect of his motives. He knows damned well that his heirs will never suffer like most people will.

Don't even think he cares about his own kids other than the one he'd like to (bleep).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

John Kasich says the comments were inappropriate, Trump should apologize and the country should move on. He doesn't think Trump should be censored. He doesn't think the remarks are racists. Another case of party over country.

Kasich: Trump's Comments 'Terrible,' But I Won't Call It 'Racist'

LINK
Quote:

President Donald Trump's comments on Haiti and African countries, which the president denied making, are "terrible," Ohio Gov. John Kasich said Friday, but he refused to call the president a racist over them.

Side note: If Trump's censored, so what! What will it accomplish?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
President Donald Trump suggested in the Oval Office that a "pretty Korean" analyst's ethnicity should qualify her for negotiating with North Korea on behalf of the United States, NBC News reported Friday.

The woman, an intelligence analyst who had visited the White House to brief Trump on an impending hostage situation in Pakistan, was asked where "your people" were from by the president after multiple attempts to learn her ethnicity, sources told NBC.

After the woman answered that her parents are Korean, Trump reportedly suggested to another advisor in the room that the "pretty Korean lady" should be negotiating with North Korea.

Can this end soon please?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Quote:
President Donald Trump suggested in the Oval Office that a "pretty Korean" analyst's ethnicity should qualify her for negotiating with North Korea on behalf of the United States, NBC News reported Friday.

The woman, an intelligence analyst who had visited the White House to brief Trump on an impending hostage situation in Pakistan, was asked where "your people" were from by the president after multiple attempts to learn her ethnicity, sources told NBC.

After the woman answered that her parents are Korean, Trump reportedly suggested to another advisor in the room that the "pretty Korean lady" should be negotiating with North Korea.

Can this end soon please?

Dr. Ben Carson a sleepy-looking (lol) African American surgeon offered his services to Trump. Trump could of easily appointed him to a position related to his past medical experience. But since he's black, he runs HUD.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Anyone think Trump not going to London or Canada is FOR PUTIN??

Gift of rift... More NATO rift.

Trump will be incarcerated when they see why he never put sanctions on Russia after being told to do so..
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I could have easily abandoned Bernie Sanders due to his stance on guns and his inability to say anything on foreign policy besides "I was against the Iraq War," but I didn't.

Strawman.
Quote:
Some liberals expect perfection from their representatives, and that's how Republicans win.

Oversimplification.
Quote:
So to take this one issue and brand Schiff as just another establishment politician and equal to Republicans is intellectually dishonest.

Strawman.

I expect better from you, Wilt.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Wilt wrote:
tox wrote:

I'm a Schiff supporter. I have to wonder if quid pro quo was involved.

Schiff serves as ranking member on the intelligence committee, meaning he gets the full intel brief. While I, in my situation of not getting the intel think that there isn't a good reason to need wireless wiretapping, others disagree, and not for corrupt reasons. I happen to think the death penalty is unconscionable, but people I consider good and whom I respect believe in it. Sometimes we can have disagreements on hot button issues.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Schiff serves as ranking member on the intelligence committee, meaning he gets the full intel brief. While I, in my situation of not getting the intel think that there isn't a good reason to need wireless wiretapping, others disagree, and not for corrupt reasons. I happen to think the death penalty is unconscionable, but people I consider good and whom I respect believe in it. Sometimes we can have disagreements on hot button issues.

Sure, lets defer to Adam Schiff on giving Donald Trump and Jeff Sessions vast unchecked spying powers. What could go wrong? I'm sure those corrupt con-artist racists won't abuse that power at all. We can agree to disagree with Schiff. Ho-hum, nothing to see here.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Christopher C wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Sure, lets defer to Adam Schiff on giving Donald Trump and Jeff Sessions vast unchecked spying powers. What could go wrong? I'm sure those corrupt con-artist racists won't abuse that power at all. We can agree to disagree with Schiff. Ho-hum, nothing to see here.

That's not the argument I, or I suspect Adam Schiff, are making. I'm reasonably certain that his assessment of intelligence agency tools are not guided solely by who occupies a specific executive office, and there is some consideration that this wasn't a new law giving Trump some power he doesn't already possess. You don't have to agree or agree to disagree, but we could discuss this in an honest and reasonable manner, even if we end up where we began, completely disagreeing.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

A little bit of Adam Schiff history:

How 'Russiagate' Helped Secure a Dangerous Arms Deal
Max Blumenthal | Jan 06, 2018
Quote:
Since entering Congress in 2002, Schiff hasn’t met a war he didn’t like. He has backed the invasion of Iraq, cheered on NATO’s regime change operation in Libya, heartily endorsed the U.S.-Saudi war on Yemen, clamored for direct U.S. intervention in Syria and lent his signature to virtually every AIPAC-crafted resolution that has landed on his desk.

And the arms industry has rewarded Schiff handsomely, pumping over $70,000 into his campaign coffers in 2016. Schiff’s largest donor this past campaign cycle, at $12,700 [individuals plus PACs], was Northrop Grumman, the defense giant. Raytheon—the manufacturer of the Javelin anti-tank missile system—was close behind it, with $10,000 in contributions [PACs]. In all, arms giants accounted for over one-sixth of Schiff’s total donations.

Back in 2013, Schiff was treated to a $2,500-per-head campaign fundraiser by a Ukrainian-born, California-based arms merchant named Igor Pasternak. The war in Donbas has been a boon for Pasternak, earning him a lucrative contract to supply the Ukrainian State Border Guard with integrated surveillance systems, and a subsequent deal to help replace the Ukrainian military’s AK-47 rifles with a version of the M-16.

Given Schiff’s history, it was little surprise when he thrust himself headlong into the paranoid theater of Russiagate. By casting suspicion on every attempt at diplomacy and driving the resurgence of Cold War hostility between Washington and Moscow, he was poised to deliver another cash cow to his benefactors in the arms industry.

Truthdig
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
The freaking President put a 4 letter word in play. He also pulled out of a trip to the UK for fear of being protested. That standard visit to Canada? Nope. Train wrecks are embarrassed by being compared to him.

Shame on anyone who voted for him. There is no defense for it.

I have an idiot brother in law who still defends Trump.

I kid you not his usual lines:

- "The Democrats are just attaacking him!"
- "He just wants to make America great again".

Combined with also being a tool, it takes all my will power not to slap his hair clean off.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
The freaking President put a 4 letter word in play. He also pulled out of a trip to the UK for fear of being protested. That standard visit to Canada? Nope. Train wrecks are embarrassed by being compared to him.

Shame on anyone who voted for him. There is no defense for it.

I have an idiot brother in law who still defends Trump.

I kid you not his usual lines:

- "The Democrats are just attaacking him!"
- "He just wants to make America great again".

Combined with also being a tool, it takes all my will power not to slap his hair clean off.

He's not your biological sibling, is he? Paternity tests are in order...
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Geoff Bennett‏Verified account @GeoffRBennett (NBC News)

Sen. Dick Durbin now knocking down Trump's denial: "It's not true. He said those hateful things, and he said them repeatedly."

Too bad the Republicans in the meeting don't have the guts or morals to come out and confirm. (bleep) bastards.

That is the worst part about this whole Presidency

The Enablers are the purest traitors. They cannot deny anything because he does it right in front of them

Wonder what his mouth is like when describing female politicians who upset him?

It's been reported that he called the (then) acting attorney general Sally Yates the C word when she refused to support his initial Muslim ban.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:

ribeye wrote:
Certainly not my sentiments; not even close. I wonder who, as a speaker, does inspire or impress either of you?

I'd have to think about that, but Oprah most definitely does not.

bill clinton
barack obama
michelle obama
jimmy carter
gabby giffords
kareem abdul-jabbar
narendra modi
elon musk
malala yousafzai
jordan peterson
buzz aldrin
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Nothing Trump says surprises me. I'm waiting for him to slip and use the N word at a meeting. Of course after he does, he'll deny it. I'm secure in saying he uses it in private.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 764, 765, 766 ... 3661, 3662, 3663  Next
Page 765 of 3663
Jump to: