OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 444, 445, 446 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:
Michael Scotto‏Verified account @MikeAScottoFollow Follow @MikeAScotto

Sources: The Los Angeles Clippers proposed a blockbuster deal to the Minnesota Timberwolves involving forward Blake Griffin and center Karl-Anthony Towns. Full story coming on @BBallInsiders.

https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/952030047841456128

What the hell?

Jerry West
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
activeverb wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
32 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
32 wrote:
The signals are getting stronger of LeBron and PG joining the Lakers. Right now I would say Paul George 75% and LeBron James 65%.

How did you come to that conclusion? Did you hear anything new?

Many factors that I look over the past several months. News reports, stories, rumors, etc. Trying to connect the dots. Lately possible coaching changes. Of course my percentages can change day to day. This is the first time I put a % on Lebron. A few days ago I had PG at 70%.

I wish I had your confidence. I'll be happy if it happens. But at this point, it's tough for me to feel confident.

I think that if one is honest with themselves they would see the possibility of either player not coming here is much greater than coming here.

I think this is absolutely true for James and to a lesser extent Cousins, but George is a different story. I have yet to see a suggested scenario where George signs with another team that doesn't either: A. Feature him taking a $10 million or more discount next year when he doesn't have to, or B. Results in OKC paying a quarter of a billion payroll next year in taxes.

Right now I'd estimate an 80% chance that George is a Laker next year. 5% chance either of those extremely doubtful scenarios above come to fruition and 10% chance OKC trades him to another team other than the Lakers. Hell, I honestly feel like that might still be conservative given that there's a chance he leaves any team OKC trades him to for the Lakers.

I am not one of those who pulls numbers out of thin air to make my random guesses seem like they are more than random guesses.

I would be surprised if Lebron comes. I have no idea what George or Cousins are thinking, and no guess on what they will do.

I am not sure if any of them yet have a strong sense of what they will do either, so it kind of amuses me how fans think they can predict their actions with such certainty.

It's just a process of elimination.

The first question is which teams have the cap space to sign Paul George to a max contract

L.A. Lakers, Chicago Bulls, and Indiana Pacers. And that's it as things currently stand. Dallas, Atlanta, Sacramento, and Philadelphia could potentially open up enough cap space with some moves but no other team outside of those 7 are a contenders to steal George away as a free agent. The only remote competition the Lakers have for George of those seven is Philadelphia.

The second question is what teams have a chance to trade for Paul George at the deadline?

OKC is going to demand expiring contracts because if they aren't emptying their accounts for George then they sure won't be doing it for lesser players. So what teams have enough expiring salary to make a legal trade for George?

L.A. Lakers (Caldwell-Pope or Brewer+Randle+Filler) Atlanta (Bellinelli+Ilyasova+Filler), Houston (Paul), Dallas (McRoberts, Harris or Noel), Utah (Favors or Johnson+Filler), Philadelphia (Redick or Johnson/Booker+Filler), Phoenix (Monroe), Chicago (Mirotic or Poindexter), San Antonio (Parker+Filler), and Cleveland (Thomas+Frye+Filler)

Obviously Houston won't trade Paul and I choose to believe that San Antonio has too much respect for Parker to trade him. Cleveland may have the confidence to gamble on George but reportedly refuse to trade Brooklyn's 1st which would be necessary for OKC to play along. So once again our only real competition for George is from Philadelphia.

You are ignoring teams who can make deals to open up cap space. GS didn’t have the cap space to sign Durant.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:

Sources: The Los Angeles Clippers proposed a blockbuster deal to the Minnesota Timberwolves involving forward Blake Griffin and center Karl-Anthony Towns. Full story coming on @BBallInsiders.

What the hell?

Jerry West

I don't see that happening.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:

What the hell?

Umm what. Minnesota ain't gonna do (bleep) with Blake on their team.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

I figured that once West/Frank took over from Doc/Frank that they would try to get out from that Griffin contract.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

The deal most likely falled apart the moment Scotto put it out there...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

mookielala wrote:
MJST wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:

What the hell?

Jerry West

Not with Blake's injury history. But if the Blake was healthy consistently, and the Clips wanted to blow it up.. Thibs would not turn down Blake+Beverly for Towns. That's my proposal in that scenario

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
It's amazing that we can have an entire wall of posts stating how they think Lonzo and Ingram are going to be star players yet the same community also finds it almost inconceivable that Lebron or PG13 would want to come here.

I've gone back and forth myself, but why wouldn't someone want to play with two quiet, humble, future all stars? If we can see it... wouldn't LeBron have seen it before anyone else?

I'm not saying it will happen... but if I were a vet looking for a new home, I'd find this young crew awfully appealing.

Because most FAs the ages of George and Lebron want to move to winning situations before their careers end. That is how we got Payton and Malone. Once we reach that level of competitiveness, they will come. Now we are just a lottery team. I think that there are s as much a chance that Lebron retires as him coming here.

We've never seen anything like the PG situation though. From the rumors last year at this time to his quotes about playing in LA while he was in town last week. We've literally never seen anything like it. He's not hiding his desire to play here at all.

And if he was willing to come here last year, how much more inclined is he to do so now with Zo, Kuz, and a much-improved BI on the roster, plus role players like Hart and Nance ? My guess would be that he is that much more motivated to come here with the influx in young talent.

Also- not all lotto teams are the same. The Lakers are clearly on the come-up, and these max FAs have huge egos- many will think that adding their talent will make the difference between a competitive non-playoff team and a team making deep playoff runs.

Last edited by babyskyhook on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Jerry West made Blake Griffin the face of the franchise for the Clippers. Lol
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

No, he didn’t, lol.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
mookielala wrote:
MJST wrote:
Lakerfan 4 Life wrote:
Quote:

What the hell?

Jerry West

Not with Blake's injury history. But if the Blake was healthy consistently, and the Clips wanted to blow it up.. Thibs would not turn down Blake+Beverly for Towns. That's my proposal in that scenario

That's a gigantic "IF". No way Thibs trades Towns for Blake.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

This Clippers trade proposal is a joke. No way Minnesota will trade Towns especially for Griffin.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:

No, he didn’t, lol.

Yes he did he was the consultant.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Car54 wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:
Yumyumcha wrote:
For those people who want or think Lebron is coming to the Lakers, where do you see Ingram. He just goes to the bench? Tell him to put the car in reverse if he wants a chance for a ring?

I don't believe for a minute that James is coming to the Lakers but if he did he would likely play PF with Kuzma coming off the bench.

Lebron would want Kuz to start

Or maybe he'd want him traded for a proven veteran.

He'd want guys that can consistently shoot and defend. Kuz can do the 1st but would need to quickly improve on the second.

I'm not sure if you can say that Kuz can consistently shoot. He started the season hot but he's been dropping fast and now he's down to 46-37-74 and who knows where he'll be by the time the season ends?

37% is above average and pretty good for a rookie, and it's possible he's hit the rookie wall. At the very least, he's not a liability on 3--defenders would respect it. There's numerous asses Lebron would want shipped out but I doubt Kuzma is one of them.

Of course, you're assuming the 37% holds. It's fallen from 41% and there's always the possibility it could continue to fall

It's fluctuated from 38% to 31% to 41% back down to 37%. I'll bet on an eventual upward trend again.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't know who leaked that Clippers trade proposal. Clippers are probably desperate to trade that bum Griffin and that massive ontract extension they gave him this summer.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Clippers can propose it, but the Wolves are not going to accept it, so whatever.

Clippers can literally offer their entire roster for the Wolves to choose from, and the Wolves would still not find a package they'd want for Towns...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Poor Clippers.
Every one of their starters has been injured with DJ finally going down last night with a sprain.

If I were a Clippers fan, I'd be glad they were offering Blake.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Griffin down low one of the riskiest contracts in the league. Towns has his warts but his value is way higher.
RestEasyBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Minnesota probably countered with Wiggins
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject:

24ways2die wrote:

T-Wolves would trade Wiggins for Griffin in a second.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:

It's fluctuated from 38% to 31% to 41% back down to 37%. I'll bet on an eventual upward trend again.

I can't make a guess, since he's been so streaky and doesn't have a track record to guide us. He'll go 18-33 and then 2-18. Granted, 3-point shooting is inconsistent, but I don't recall the kind of ups and downs we're seeing from him much before.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject:

CLICK.

Don't blame a GM for reaching for the stars though. Others are right, Wolves will say no dice and may counter with Wiggins instead if they do fancy Blake.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
24ways2die wrote:

T-Wolves would trade Wiggins for Griffin in a second.

Safe to say Wiggins isn't the next T-Mac? I wouldn't trade Ingram for Wiggins and Wiggins is currently the better player. Not for long I suspect.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

The only face we gotta consider regarding that nonsense instagram link is the 2nd one down of Tibs. So many screams, just spit out my drink lol.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 444, 445, 446 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 445 of 2680
Jump to: