What are your favorite cities in the LA metropolitan region other than LA itself?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28486
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: What are your favorite cities in the LA metropolitan region other than LA itself?

Personally, I like Santa Monica and Pasadena a lot... (Though it seems like a fair number of people who live in those places don't like them for some reason.)
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3777
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Santa Monica
Westwood
Manhattan Beach
Century City
Palos Verdes

Laguna Beach
San Clemente
San Juan Capistrano
Dana Point
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 20510
Location: UCLA -> NY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject:

Palos Verdes
Westwood
Manhattan Beach
San Gabriel
Santa Monica
_________________
http://media.giphy.com/media/zNyBPu5hEFpu/giphy.gif
http://bartsblackboard.com/files/2009/11/The-Simpsons-05x18-Burns-Heir.jpg

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 24505

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Santa Monica
Westwood
Manhattan Beach
Century City
Palos Verdes

Laguna Beach
San Clemente
San Juan Capistrano
Dana Point



All awesome spots. I know you're probably sick of it but I LOVE Long Beach. Downtown/Arts District/2nd Street are all fun in their own way.
_________________
Never wanted him anyways! Bron/Kawhi 2019!!! Choo Choo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Dec 2015
Posts: 3777
Location: So what's the uh...topic of discussion?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Santa Monica
Westwood
Manhattan Beach
Century City
Palos Verdes

Laguna Beach
San Clemente
San Juan Capistrano
Dana Point



All awesome spots. I know you're probably sick of it but I LOVE Long Beach. Downtown/Arts District/2nd Street are all fun in their own way.


I love parts of long beach like the arts district/2nd st. but the 80-90% of Long Beach that is not those places (or the few cushy suburban pockets like mine that border the OC) are drug-adled parolee nests with zero redeeming quality, which is why I can't say it's one of my favorite cities as a whole.

North Long Beach
West Long beach
Signal Hill (below the actual hill itself)
Downtown (other than the pike and Pine Ave.)
the entire section of the city between broadway and the 405

these were shickholes long before schickhole got put on the list of dirty words as of today
_________________
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
http://forums.lakersground.net/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=13018
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28486
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Do any of you know what it’s like to live in Santa Monica? I’m actually going tomorrow. Anyone have any restaurants to recommend or things to do?
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 6550

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject:

I love Burbank. It just feels clean and safe.

And there's always so much to do and see there.

Everything is closed by 9 pm, though.
_________________
"Keep looking at me like that and I'll turn Suplex City into Mizney World."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 24505

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Santa Monica
Westwood
Manhattan Beach
Century City
Palos Verdes

Laguna Beach
San Clemente
San Juan Capistrano
Dana Point



All awesome spots. I know you're probably sick of it but I LOVE Long Beach. Downtown/Arts District/2nd Street are all fun in their own way.


I love parts of long beach like the arts district/2nd st. but the 80-90% of Long Beach that is not those places (or the few cushy suburban pockets like mine that border the OC) are drug-adled parolee nests with zero redeeming quality, which is why I can't say it's one of my favorite cities as a whole.

North Long Beach
West Long beach
Signal Hill (below the actual hill itself)
Downtown (other than the pike and Pine Ave.)
the entire section of the city between broadway and the 405

these were shickholes long before schickhole got put on the list of dirty words as of today


Good point. I've only ever experienced the spots I like.
_________________
Never wanted him anyways! Bron/Kawhi 2019!!! Choo Choo!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 4232
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject:

Santa Monica and Venice Beach. It's gotten expensive and way too gentrified, but there is a nice bar scene down Main street and Abbot Kinney. There are also plenty of gyms, yoga studios and lap pools if you're into fitness. Plus there isn't as much narcissism and superficiality as there is in other spots (*cough* Beverly Hills *cough*).

Hermosa Beach also seems nice too. Their bar scene near the beach goes off on the weekends.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 13196
Location: @ the beach

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject:

Riverside
_________________
♪ ♫One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain...
So hit me with music! ♪ ♫
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 May 2005
Posts: 28360

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
Riverside


Ontario
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tlim
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Jun 2002
Posts: 6474

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:
Riverside


Ontario

Might as well add Hemet into your kind of list...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 128003
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

Westlake Village
Thousand Oaks
Ventura
Santa Barbara
_________________
It’s a girl, my lord, in a flat bed Ford.......
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41226
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.


The OC is part of the LA metropolitan area.
It also includes parts of Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties as well.
Now if they were talking about if the OC was part of the city or county of Los Angeles, then obviously it would not include it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area


Last edited by lakersken80 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41382

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Palos Verdes
Hermosa Beach
Redondo Beach
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 28486
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Santa Monica and Venice Beach. It's gotten expensive and way too gentrified, but there is a nice bar scene down Main street and Abbot Kinney. There are also plenty of gyms, yoga studios and lap pools if you're into fitness. Plus there isn't as much narcissism and superficiality as there is in other spots (*cough* Beverly Hills *cough*).

Hermosa Beach also seems nice too. Their bar scene near the beach goes off on the weekends.


Would you ever want to live in Santa Monica?
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41226
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.


The OC is part of the LA metropolitan area.
It also includes parts of Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties as well.
Now if they were talking about if the OC was part of the city or county of Los Angeles, then obviously it would not include it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area


Nope.

. . . and wikipedia? really?
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.


The OC is part of the LA metropolitan area.
It also includes parts of Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties as well.
Now if they were talking about if the OC was part of the city or county of Los Angeles, then obviously it would not include it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area


Nope.

. . . and wikipedia? really?


And you haven't shown anything that has disproven that it isn't part of the LA metro area.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Anaheim
Pasadena
Santa Monica
Irvine
Westwood
Long Beach
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41226
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.


The OC is part of the LA metropolitan area.
It also includes parts of Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties as well.
Now if they were talking about if the OC was part of the city or county of Los Angeles, then obviously it would not include it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area


Nope.

. . . and wikipedia? really?


And you haven't shown anything that has disproven that it isn't part of the LA metro area.


Different county with a completely different vibe, attitude look and focal point. It's not even a suburb of a suburb of Los Angeles. Places like San Clemente are in no way part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area (nor would most of it's residents WANT to be) - hell it's more akin to San Diego. It's like saying Santa Cruz is part of San Francisco's area. They couldn't be more different and separate.

Just because some people may make the commute from parts of the OC doesn't make it part of the area.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30355

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.


The OC is part of the LA metropolitan area.
It also includes parts of Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties as well.
Now if they were talking about if the OC was part of the city or county of Los Angeles, then obviously it would not include it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area


Nope.

. . . and wikipedia? really?


And you haven't shown anything that has disproven that it isn't part of the LA metro area.


Different county with a completely different vibe, attitude look and focal point. It's not even a suburb of a suburb of Los Angeles. Places like San Clemente are in no way part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area (nor would most of it's residents WANT to be) - hell it's more akin to San Diego. It's like saying Santa Cruz is part of San Francisco's area. They couldn't be more different and separate.

Just because some people may make the commute from parts of the OC doesn't make it part of the area.


So basically what you are saying is that it is your personal definition of what consists of the LA metro area....
Most of the media refers to the LA metro area as a geographical block bigger than just LA county. Obviously the "vibe" in Riverside or Palmdale would be much different from Venice or Beverly Hills.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41226
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.


The OC is part of the LA metropolitan area.
It also includes parts of Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties as well.
Now if they were talking about if the OC was part of the city or county of Los Angeles, then obviously it would not include it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area


Nope.

. . . and wikipedia? really?


And you haven't shown anything that has disproven that it isn't part of the LA metro area.


Different county with a completely different vibe, attitude look and focal point. It's not even a suburb of a suburb of Los Angeles. Places like San Clemente are in no way part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area (nor would most of it's residents WANT to be) - hell it's more akin to San Diego. It's like saying Santa Cruz is part of San Francisco's area. They couldn't be more different and separate.

Just because some people may make the commute from parts of the OC doesn't make it part of the area.


So basically what you are saying is that it is your personal definition of what consists of the LA metro area....
Most of the media refers to the LA metro area as a geographical block bigger than just LA county. Obviously the "vibe" in Riverside or Palmdale would be much different from Venice or Beverly Hills.


I'm saying that as someone who has grown up in Southern California and spent a great deal of time in 50 years getting to know the various areas and the people in them, there's a clear distinction between LA - even the "greater LA" area - and outlying areas in other counties where the style of life and everything about them is NOT in anyway LA . . . regardless of how much some people would like to pretend those different areas are part of LA.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 4232
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Santa Monica and Venice Beach. It's gotten expensive and way too gentrified, but there is a nice bar scene down Main street and Abbot Kinney. There are also plenty of gyms, yoga studios and lap pools if you're into fitness. Plus there isn't as much narcissism and superficiality as there is in other spots (*cough* Beverly Hills *cough*).

Hermosa Beach also seems nice too. Their bar scene near the beach goes off on the weekends.


Would you ever want to live in Santa Monica?

I've actually lived in Santa Monica since I was a toddler. It's not for everyone, but it's nice and fun if you make enough money.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 4232
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

And BTW, the OC may officially be considered part of the "LA metro area", but it doesn't feel like LA there. I've been to Anaheim a bunch of times. Although it feels like SoCal, it also feels like everyone there recently came from the Midwest. It has this conservative, middle of the road vibe, as opposed to the liberal, do your own thing vibe of LA, especially the westside.
_________________
"Lindsay Hunter is starting to make Devean George look like John Stockton" - Bill Walton, Game 4 of the 2002 WCFs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB