OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 838, 839, 840 ... 1206, 1207, 1208  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20985

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:
Just glad everyone (well almost everyone) is on board now. Who cares when people got on.

Choo choo!

I'm quietly waiting for it to be acceptable to say Lonzo is a KAT/Embiid/etc level prospect. Outside of Lakers forums (and maybe even here) that'd be ridiculed but I believe it.

Of course, I've been wrong before


I wouldn't trade him for either guy.


That's kind of a wild statement. I am very high on Lonzo but KAT is a no brainer. Embiid the injury prone argument can be made but health being equal he's clearly above Zo as well.


Until recently, I would have said the same thing as 24 when it comes to Towns. In his third season, though, Towns has finally started to become a defensive force. I'm sure some people will credit Thibs, but I have a feeling that it is more a function of him just growing up. In the old days, he would be a senior in college this year. Towns is shooting over 40% on threes this year, and he is shooting 84% from the foul line. Towns could become a 50/40/90 center.

But enough about Towns. Ball's DRPM is now 1.97. He has passed Simmons. He now has the highest DRPM of any starting point guard in the league. Let me say that again. Lonzo Ball, a rookie, now has the highest DRPM of any starting point guard in the league. There are two role players (Tyus Jones and Dejounte Murray) who have higher DRPMs. He is on a vector to pass them by the end of the season, and possibly by the end of this month.

This is stunning. I did not hear anyone, including the biggest optimists on the board, predicting anything close to that. If someone in this thread had predicted this in October, even the biggest Lonzo Ball fans would have said, "Whoa, there, that's not going to happen." But it did. There is a real possibility that Lonzo Ball will make the all-defense team as a rookie. I would say that again, but I already used that device once in this thread. You get the point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 13301

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

The funny part is that the media narrative is probably still, he is not a great defender.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 23135

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
The funny part is that the media narrative is probably still, he is not a great defender.


You would expect analysts to actually watch games. It's amazing.

But like AH was saying, I for one did not expect Lonzo to be playing great defense in the NBA. I didn't even think he would guard other point guards. That's why I thought getting KCP to guard point guards was so important.

I love that Lonzo is proving me wrong. I did not expect his instincts that he showed on offense to translate to defense. Shows what smarts + instincts can do.

Things I did not expect:

1. Lonzo's defense (especially help defense)
2. Lonzo running PNR
3. Lonzo rebounding
4. Lonzo's 3ball not falling early
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 5665
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
The funny part is that the media narrative is probably still, he is not a great defender.


You would expect analysts to actually watch games. It's amazing.

But like AH was saying, I for one did not expect Lonzo to be playing great defense in the NBA. I didn't even think he would guard other point guards. That's why I thought getting KCP to guard point guards was so important.

I love that Lonzo is proving me wrong. I did not expect his instincts that he showed on offense to translate to defense. Shows what smarts + instincts can do.

Things I did not expect:

1. Lonzo's defense (especially help defense)
2. Lonzo running PNR
3. Lonzo rebounding
4. Lonzo's 3ball not falling early


I expect more analyst watch Lakers games then not. Every time I hear someone's top 5 league pass teams, the Lakers are always there. I've seen the national media shift in Zo's favor, especially the ones that have a branch in LA (ESPN, FS1, etc.). Maybe Stephen A Smith isn't on board with Zo, but his show is staged. One person takes one side, one person takes the other, and they are supposed to yell their points at each other. Max Kellerman is a Lakers fan and the media version of Magic Johnson (hypeman), so Stephen A must take the opposing view. Cowherd today asked Chris Broussard if Lonzo was more like Lebron than we thought. Broussard agreed when it came to playmaking and playing defense. My only comp for Lonzo, is a smaller version of Lebron. I'm glad others are starting to see that.

Are there still shows that aren't giving Zo credit, of course. Those people are just not being honest or haven't really watched Zo, but they are becoming fewer and fewer.


Last edited by AFireInside619 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 15913

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

^ Jesus, his RPM is 0.87 with a .440 TS%.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Posts: 17509
Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:
Just glad everyone (well almost everyone) is on board now. Who cares when people got on.

Choo choo!

I'm quietly waiting for it to be acceptable to say Lonzo is a KAT/Embiid/etc level prospect. Outside of Lakers forums (and maybe even here) that'd be ridiculed but I believe it.

Of course, I've been wrong before


People who don't watch the Lakers on a regular basis have no clue. Trade Lonzo b/c his dad is a loudmouth? LOL!! They read the shooting percentage and ppg and call him a bust. No clue what he does for the team.

Rarely do I see one player that young lift a team like Lonzo does. Different team when he's healthy and on the playing floor both offensively and on defense. And he's shooting 40%+ from 3 the last 10 games if I looked at the numbers right.

Yeah, I think it's a fair comparison, perhaps a bit generous to KAT and Embiid in my biased opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 13301

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I actually thought he would be a good defender. I remember someone posting stats from Cranjis' twiitter to dispel the notion that Lonzo was a poor defender.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 13696

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
I actually thought he would be a good defender. I remember someone posting stats from Cranjis' twiitter to dispel the notion that Lonzo was a poor defender.

I saw that too. I was cautiously optimistic because of it, but I didn't think college defense translates with enough regularity to be confident.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Nov 2007
Posts: 2139

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
epak wrote:
Just glad everyone (well almost everyone) is on board now. Who cares when people got on.

Choo choo!

I'm quietly waiting for it to be acceptable to say Lonzo is a KAT/Embiid/etc level prospect. Outside of Lakers forums (and maybe even here) that'd be ridiculed but I believe it.

Of course, I've been wrong before


I got flak on here a few weeks back for calling Lonzo 'transformative'. So I'd guess the general public won't get there for a while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 13696

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:
Just glad everyone (well almost everyone) is on board now. Who cares when people got on.

Choo choo!

I'm quietly waiting for it to be acceptable to say Lonzo is a KAT/Embiid/etc level prospect. Outside of Lakers forums (and maybe even here) that'd be ridiculed but I believe it.

Of course, I've been wrong before


People who don't watch the Lakers on a regular basis have no clue. Trade Lonzo b/c his dad is a loudmouth? LOL!! They read the shooting percentage and ppg and call him a bust. No clue what he does for the team.

Rarely do I see one player that young lift a team like Lonzo does. Different team when he's healthy and on the playing floor both offensively and on defense. And he's shooting 40%+ from 3 the last 10 games if I looked at the numbers right.

Yeah, I think it's a fair comparison, perhaps a bit generous to KAT and Embiid in my biased opinion.

Like AH said KAT is playing defense now, and when Embiid plays he's a total difference maker (iirc the Sixers were something like 45-win team last year when Embiid played and a 12 win team when he didn't). It's definitely high praise to be in that category, and I'm not bold enough to put him ahead of those two.

But it feels good to finally have *that* level of prospect.
_________________
https://j.gifs.com/Rnqnbk.gif
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 15913

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject:

All this talk of KAT and Embiid, and Jokic might be the best of the three
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 23135

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
All this talk of KAT and Embiid, and Jokic might be the best of the three


You don't say...
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊
One more trade to get rid of the old regime's players!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82599
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
tox wrote:
epak wrote:
Just glad everyone (well almost everyone) is on board now. Who cares when people got on.

Choo choo!

I'm quietly waiting for it to be acceptable to say Lonzo is a KAT/Embiid/etc level prospect. Outside of Lakers forums (and maybe even here) that'd be ridiculed but I believe it.

Of course, I've been wrong before


I wouldn't trade him for either guy.


That's kind of a wild statement. I am very high on Lonzo but KAT is a no brainer. Embiid the injury prone argument can be made but health being equal he's clearly above Zo as well.


Not wild at all. I respect the counter view, I just think the kid is going to impact the game in a unique way. What he projects to me is more valuable than even an Uber elite big.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
El Seano
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 715

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Isn't there someone that posts full Laker games? I really want to see last night's game on line!! Anyone here know if I'm right there is somewhere to see it?


Go to tvrex.net


Yo HUGE thanks for this link man, never knew this existed I was having to torrent whole games the day after. This link is a goldmine for somebody living abroad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 2392
Location: Seoul, Korea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Isn't there someone that posts full Laker games? I really want to see last night's game on line!! Anyone here know if I'm right there is somewhere to see it?


Go to tvrex.net


Yo HUGE thanks for this link man, never knew this existed I was having to torrent whole games the day after. This link is a goldmine for somebody living abroad.


Same here. It's tough moving halfway across the world and still trying to maintain your Laker fix
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ZenMaster4President
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 924

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
El Seano wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Isn't there someone that posts full Laker games? I really want to see last night's game on line!! Anyone here know if I'm right there is somewhere to see it?


Go to tvrex.net


Yo HUGE thanks for this link man, never knew this existed I was having to torrent whole games the day after. This link is a goldmine for somebody living abroad.


Same here. It's tough moving halfway across the world and still trying to maintain your Laker fix


Not for around $150/year it is not. NBA LP works beautifully. No blackouts, replays, away and home announcers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 20985

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Not wild at all. I respect the counter view, I just think the kid is going to impact the game in a unique way. What he projects to me is more valuable than even an Uber elite big.


That depends a lot on what you think about the value of elite bigs in the modern game. Of course, it also depends on what you expect Ball to become down the line. If your model is Jason Kidd, then I'll take the elite big.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AFireInside619
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2015
Posts: 5665
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject:

When the Pacers lost Jeff Teague last year, I remembered that they wanted Lance Stevenson to play point for them. Initially I though my it was a great idea. Good height, tough kid with some ball handling skills. He even had a great game vs Lebron last night. I'm not sure if he's a point guard for them anymore, but he still handles the ball a lot. And as well as Lance played last night, Lonzo makes one thing very clear... Not all point guards are created equal.

Lonzo's style of play might not help us get a top name in 2018, but for years and years after that, free agents that can run, dunk, or make an open 3 will want to play with him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 36624

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

El Seano wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Isn't there someone that posts full Laker games? I really want to see last night's game on line!! Anyone here know if I'm right there is somewhere to see it?


Go to tvrex.net


Yo HUGE thanks for this link man, never knew this existed I was having to torrent whole games the day after. This link is a goldmine for somebody living abroad.


My pleasure. Getting footage early on for the LFR stuff was difficult, and I found a few places along the way.
_________________
Sign up for The Athletic through this link to get 40% off your first year's subscription: LINK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Baron Von Humongous
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 15913

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

I want Lonzo to improve as a scorer, sure, but part of me wants him to always stay this beautiful 18% USG all-around dynamo.

#noisoBall
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 25793

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Not wild at all. I respect the counter view, I just think the kid is going to impact the game in a unique way. What he projects to me is more valuable than even an Uber elite big.


That depends a lot on what you think about the value of elite bigs in the modern game. Of course, it also depends on what you expect Ball to become down the line. If your model is Jason Kidd, then I'll take the elite big.


Kidd isn't a great comp if only for reasons of size. He's closer to 6'2", Lonzo is closer to 6'6".

Lonzo is more like a thinner less athletic LBJ with a better shot and an even higher IQ.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GoldenThroat
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 25 Jul 2005
Posts: 36624

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
I want Lonzo to improve as a scorer, sure, but part of me wants him to always stay this beautiful 18% USG all-around dynamo.

#noisoBall


I just want him to have that in his back pocket when he needs it. Agreed that I don't want him to change stylistically.
_________________
Sign up for The Athletic through this link to get 40% off your first year's subscription: LINK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 13301

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Not wild at all. I respect the counter view, I just think the kid is going to impact the game in a unique way. What he projects to me is more valuable than even an Uber elite big.


That depends a lot on what you think about the value of elite bigs in the modern game. Of course, it also depends on what you expect Ball to become down the line. If your model is Jason Kidd, then I'll take the elite big.


Kidd isn't a great comp if only for reasons of size. He's closer to 6'2", Lonzo is closer to 6'6".

Lonzo is more like a thinner less athletic LBJ with a better shot and an even higher IQ.


That comparison would be more accurate once he can take the ball to the basket stronger and get to the line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 1617

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

When Lonzo was at UCLA, he turned it on when he had to. He took and hit big shots for them in crunch time. He has that mentality in him and it has been said (sometimes begrudgingly) on even the national sports morning shows, he seems to show out on the big stage. And I've said this pre-draft as well, when UCLA started turning it on defensively toward the mid-point of his senior year, Lonzo was leading the way. That's when I knew he had it in him. He just gets unfairly painted by the Steve Alford not coaching defense brush.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 May 2015
Posts: 5003

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
When Lonzo was at UCLA, he turned it on when he had to. He took and hit big shots for them in crunch time. He has that mentality in him and it has been said (sometimes begrudgingly) on even the national sports morning shows, he seems to show out on the big stage. And I've said this pre-draft as well, when UCLA started turning it on defensively toward the mid-point of his senior year, Lonzo was leading the way. That's when I knew he had it in him. He just gets unfairly painted by the Steve Alford not coaching defense brush.


UCLA is solid defensively this year, last year was a personal problem. Lonzo played with 4 bad defenders. But who needs facts when you can hate on Alford right? Now back to Lonzo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 838, 839, 840 ... 1206, 1207, 1208  Next
Page 839 of 1208
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB