Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 497, 498, 499 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

FO better not lowball Luke! I believe he's doing a helluva job!!!
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject:

ltsmash wrote:
The fact that the media, especially ESPN, is running with Windhorst's comments on the Rich Eisen show is yet another sign of the media's decay.

First off, the comment attributed to Lavar about Luke losing the team is half of the comment. Here's the complete quote: "The guys look like they don't want to play for him. But that's just what I say. The guys probably want to play for him as hard as they can." Of course ESPN only publishes the first sentence, thereby creating news instead of just reporting it. This is not only a strict no-no in the news world, it also smacks of desperation.

The Lakers played it right but not responding because 1) what's the point fueding with a player's Dad? 2) responding to Lavar would dignify Lavar's comments; 3) keep the comment in the news cycle longer than necessary; 4) what type of FO would actually respond to Lavar in this situation - can anyone imagine the Spurs or Warriors front office getting into it with a player's Dad? 5) ultimately, what is to gain from responding?

Windhorst, and by extension ESPN, probably disappointed that the Lakers FO didn't take the bait, need to do something. Hence Windhorst likely called up his sources (i.e. agents & front office individuals) to discuss what happened. I'm sure during these conversations some people wondered if there was truth to Lavar's statements and whether the Lakers may need a new coach. Based upon that, Windhorst extrapolates it to the Lakers not supporting Walton (this is as subjective of a statement as it gets) and that "executives, coaches, agents - who the Lakers are going to hire as their next coach."

After Windhorst creates news out of thin air, ESPN, and other media, starts to report it as if it were real news. Watching a major media company that purports to report news continue to participate in such behavior is sickening. Recall ESPN previously reported Kobe stating thta "Lonzo needs to get better" even though that's not what Kobe was saying. He said the whole team needs to get better and that each player needs to get better now, and not to wait until the off-season. Of course ESPN couched it as Kobe ripping Lonzo.

The need for click bait has unfortunately led ESPN to create news, instead of just reporting it. ESPN has no credibility in my mind and nothing their people report should be given any credence.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I am fine with the FO not saying anything publicly. Giving even an iota or mention to Levar’s comments would be a mistake.

socalsp3 wrote:
Maybe they did want to put Luke on the hot seat by not backing him in public.

I agree with both of these takes.

The FO would be stupid to give Lavar legitimacy, which would then spawn an endless cycle on ESPN where they ask Lavar for his latest hot take and then ask the Lakers for a reaction.

They also want to leave themselves flexibility to fire Luke if the season goes down the drain. Yes- we're on a 3 game win streak, but it was the Hawks, Kings and zombie Spurs. Also- if Lebron does want to come here and he wants Fiz as the coach, the FO doesn't want to be on record 6 months earlier saying Luke is our guy.

Silence is golden in this situation. They don't want to give Lavar more juice and they want to leave their options open as far as Luke goes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
ltsmash wrote:
The fact that the media, especially ESPN, is running with Windhorst's comments on the Rich Eisen show is yet another sign of the media's decay.

First off, the comment attributed to Lavar about Luke losing the team is half of the comment. Here's the complete quote: "The guys look like they don't want to play for him. But that's just what I say. The guys probably want to play for him as hard as they can." Of course ESPN only publishes the first sentence, thereby creating news instead of just reporting it. This is not only a strict no-no in the news world, it also smacks of desperation.

The Lakers played it right but not responding because 1) what's the point fueding with a player's Dad? 2) responding to Lavar would dignify Lavar's comments; 3) keep the comment in the news cycle longer than necessary; 4) what type of FO would actually respond to Lavar in this situation - can anyone imagine the Spurs or Warriors front office getting into it with a player's Dad? 5) ultimately, what is to gain from responding?

Windhorst, and by extension ESPN, probably disappointed that the Lakers FO didn't take the bait, need to do something. Hence Windhorst likely called up his sources (i.e. agents & front office individuals) to discuss what happened. I'm sure during these conversations some people wondered if there was truth to Lavar's statements and whether the Lakers may need a new coach. Based upon that, Windhorst extrapolates it to the Lakers not supporting Walton (this is as subjective of a statement as it gets) and that "executives, coaches, agents - who the Lakers are going to hire as their next coach."

After Windhorst creates news out of thin air, ESPN, and other media, starts to report it as if it were real news. Watching a major media company that purports to report news continue to participate in such behavior is sickening. Recall ESPN previously reported Kobe stating thta "Lonzo needs to get better" even though that's not what Kobe was saying. He said the whole team needs to get better and that each player needs to get better now, and not to wait until the off-season. Of course ESPN couched it as Kobe ripping Lonzo.

The need for click bait has unfortunately led ESPN to create news, instead of just reporting it. ESPN has no credibility in my mind and nothing their people report should be given any credence.

Yep and yep
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

ltsmash wrote:
Windhorst likely called up his sources (i.e. agents & front office individuals) to discuss what happened. I'm sure during these conversations some people wondered if there was truth to Lavar's statements and whether the Lakers may need a new coach. Based upon that, Windhorst extrapolates it to the Lakers not supporting Walton (this is as subjective of a statement as it gets) and that "executives, coaches, agents - who the Lakers are going to hire as their next coach."

So you are accusing the ESPN guy of making stuff up based on conversations that you are making up in your head?

That's actually kind of funny.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject:

It would honestly suck to fire Luke, only to replace him with someone who was in a similar situation (coach fired because team had injuries and they didnt perform well in the first 19 games)

Luke’s a great coach IMO. Yea the wins and losses show otherwise, but he hasnt really had a decent team nor 2 All Stars level players to coach (ala Fizdale). Nothing against Fizdale, but he doesnt quite have the track record either to show he’s able to lead us to contention.

Its sad to see Luke’s being thrown under the bus like this.
I remember this place went bonkers when word broke out we had hired him. :/

If were building a culture, we cant keep firing coaches every 2-3 years.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
“Do you want to know what people are saying behind the scenes? Do you want to know what they’re saying? What coach has LeBron tweeted about most recently? What coach got fired this year and LeBron tweeted about him? Los Angeles native David Fizdale. Now, again this may not be true. The Lakers may intend to keep [Walton], but what I’m telling you is, the way the events have gone done, I’ve got executives and agents in my ear saying, ‘Oh yeah, they’re probably going to hire David Fizdale.’ Again, it may not be true. They may intend to keep Luke.”

Well I mean. It may not be true. But this is what I'm hearing non-Lakers people saying. I mean, it may not be true, but I'mma say it anyway. I mean, it may not be true, but I like having my voice heard. Did I mention, I mean this may not be true, but.

Was it discussed, but are the other agents/execs saying Magic/Rob don't have Luke's back because they haven't said anything about the Lavar Ball comments? Or was there other evidence that came out?
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Isnt it funny that BSPN ties Fizdale to LA with a LeBron twist, but doesnt mention the fact that Cavs are losing alot lately and that Ty Lue’s job might be more in jeoperdy than Luke’s ?! There’s a better chance Cavs fire Lue at the end of the season, hire Fizdale as an attempt to re-up LeBron
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Luke has his flaws but he's doing alright imo.
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
“Do you want to know what people are saying behind the scenes? Do you want to know what they’re saying? What coach has LeBron tweeted about most recently? What coach got fired this year and LeBron tweeted about him? Los Angeles native David Fizdale. Now, again this may not be true. The Lakers may intend to keep [Walton], but what I’m telling you is, the way the events have gone done, I’ve got executives and agents in my ear saying, ‘Oh yeah, they’re probably going to hire David Fizdale.’ Again, it may not be true. They may intend to keep Luke.”

Well I mean. It may not be true. But this is what I'm hearing non-Lakers people saying. I mean, it may not be true, but I'mma say it anyway. I mean, it may not be true, but I like having my voice heard. Did I mention, I mean this may not be true, but.

Was it discussed, but are the other agents/execs saying Magic/Rob don't have Luke's back because they haven't said anything about the Lavar Ball comments? Or was there other evidence that came out?

he's just filling his quota. junk.
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I saw a post on the LA Times that said Lakers drama never leaves the Lakers for long.

I mean this is pathetic. I understand the media is a business but the lack of accountability and authenticity is so great that I'm glad publications like the LA Times are struggling. But to stoop so low as to fake drama and then culpability is disgusting.

The LA Times posts about Lavar to generate traffic. Then the LA Times acts confused and critical that the Lakers have drama. Every team has drama - we have more drama because we have more media.

The LA Times then has the audacity to have these nonsensical existential discussions by Plaschke about how Lavar Ball should not have a microphone in front of him. That Luke Walton shouldn't get fired but you should know that Brian Windhorst is reporting that there's a chance he could. Take a hike Bill.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
On my way to #Memphis for #Lakers game. Dinner with Rob and Luke tomorrow night. Barbecue!! @Lakers #InLukeWeTrust

https://twitter.com/JeanieBuss/status/952258404097011712
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
On my way to #Memphis for #Lakers game. Dinner with Rob and Luke tomorrow night. Barbecue!! @Lakers #InLukeWeTrust

I see you, owner.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

We're looking good against 4 trash teams in a row.
Sago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

I see you, owner.

Let’s see how the media spins this tweet around.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

The plays we run to tie or win it at the end of games are really awful. We never get the ball to our best scorers or we get it to them in bad positions.
bandiger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Good win streak Luke but really (bleep) you unimaginative ISO junk. Did Kobe burn that (bleep) into your brain?
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Why even post something like #InLukeWeTrust? Is that a shot at LaVar?
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:

Dude, isn't it self-explanatory? She's showing her support of Luke. It ain't all about Lavar.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject:

I can't even blame Randle for that play at the end of regulation. Luke out him in that spot.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

I'm not sure if you mean this as a shot or not (I'll assume not). But given that we ourselves have been called a trash team by people on and off this forum, had the 2nd worst record in the league last week, and blew many of these "easy" games throughout the season, I'd say any 4-game winning streak is nothing short of amazing
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

Dude, isn't it self-explanatory? She's showing her support of Luke. It ain't all about Lavar.

But why show support now? So basically confirming that Luke is/was in the hot seat? Just trying to understand her psyche. Why post it?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

I really don't see the problem with Jeanie expressing her support for Luke. Coming from her carries weight. Frankly I'm glad she did it now to squash these rumors started by fatty Windhorst yesterday.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
TheBlackMamba wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

But why show support now? So basically confirming that Luke is/was the hot seat? Just trying to understand her psyche. Why post it?

This (bleep) is why I didn’t want the Lakers to respond to Lavar’s not so bad comments. People will microanalyze the situation no matter what and read whatever they want into it.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:

Three.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 497, 498, 499 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 498 of 818
Jump to: