NON-2 Max 2018 Summer Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
I am surprised people have that much of tolerance to this new front office. They already traded away Russell and is going to trade away Randle, Clarkson and Nance in order to get that second max spot. After lossing Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance, people are okay with not able to sign the second max player? The Magic supporter said the new front office will have a different approach to the free agency market and will help us land the player we want. If they can't then they are no different to the previous guys.

Outside of Russell, Magic hasn't traded any of the other guy's yet. Even if he does, shouldn't we wait to see what the fall out will be? The tolerance level is what is should be, wait and see, not jumping the gun with doom and gloom before things even take shape. Your complaining about things that haven't even happen yet, if at all. Comparing them to the last regime is crazy! They are 1 year on the job, let them work, sheesh!!!!

They have the same approach as the previous FO. Comparison is apples to apples. They have one off season of striking out, do we send them packing after 3?

One off season of striking out? When? Last summer? Magic clearly stated that the was not gonna be players last summer because they didn't think that there was anybody on the market that was worth it. Something that the old regime would not have done. They would have signed some over priced player to too much money and too many years!

If the comparison is apples to apples as you say, it must be red apples vs Granny smith green apples.

We saw that there were players last season who were worth pursuing so failing to do so isn’t a defense. Identifying those players is their job. They didn’t and have one offseason of failure.

Call it what you want. I vehemently disagree.

No surprise, you would believe them if they said it was 1999. We held the previous FO responsible for results and that shouldn’t change.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:
I am surprised people have that much of tolerance to this new front office. They already traded away Russell and is going to trade away Randle, Clarkson and Nance in order to get that second max spot. After lossing Russell, Randle, Clarkson and Nance, people are okay with not able to sign the second max player? The Magic supporter said the new front office will have a different approach to the free agency market and will help us land the player we want. If they can't then they are no different to the previous guys.

Outside of Russell, Magic hasn't traded any of the other guy's yet. Even if he does, shouldn't we wait to see what the fall out will be? The tolerance level is what is should be, wait and see, not jumping the gun with doom and gloom before things even take shape. Your complaining about things that haven't even happen yet, if at all. Comparing them to the last regime is crazy! They are 1 year on the job, let them work, sheesh!!!!

They have the same approach as the previous FO. Comparison is apples to apples. They have one off season of striking out, do we send them packing after 3?

One off season of striking out? When? Last summer? Magic clearly stated that the was not gonna be players last summer because they didn't think that there was anybody on the market that was worth it. Something that the old regime would not have done. They would have signed some over priced player to too much money and too many years!

If the comparison is apples to apples as you say, it must be red apples vs Granny smith green apples.

We saw that there were players last season who were worth pursuing so failing to do so isn’t a defense. Identifying those players is their job. They didn’t and have one offseason of failure.

No surprise, you would believe them if they said it was 1999. We held the previous FO responsible for results and that shouldn’t change.

No, but I do believe is not thinking and acting irrationally and give people a chance to prove themselves. There was no way to fix this mess in one off season. Besides, who did you want them To spend money on.... Blake Griffin?
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

I can't deal with another summer of watching everybody else load up on talent while we sit back and wait for superstars to come flocking.

I also don't want to see another summer of overpaying scrubs on short term deals.

Basketball Gods: love us again!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:

1. We have no idea if they are going to trade Randle, Clarkson, and Nance.

2. Magic made his strategy clear from the beginning. This would be a placeholder season and after it was over we would go after big name free agents.

3. Lots of people questioned the strategy, and lots of fans aren't enthusiastic about it, but they figure all they could do and wait to see if it works.

4. Because the team is playing worse than some fans expected, they are going into a panic, and, like you, assuming the plan will fail.

5. In reality, nothing has changed. Either Magic's plan will work or it won't. If it doesn't, there will be a sh*t storm from fans. Because you're right -- Magic's big sell was that he had the cache to attract big name free agents.

6. Personally, I wrote off this season before it started. We're doing a little worse than I expected, but not significantly worse. I thought we'd have a terrible defense and be the worse 3-point shooting team in the league. I was skeptical of Magic's plan from the beginning, but I see no reason to change my wait and see before I judge attitude,
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

No, but I do believe is not thinking and acting irrationally and give people a chance to prove themselves. There was no way to fix this mess in one off season. Besides, who did you want them To spend money on.... Blake Griffin?

The point is that they didn’t try to sign anyone, they made no effort to make the team better. That is not acceptable.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
I can't deal with another summer of watching everybody else load up on talent while we sit back and wait for superstars to come flocking.

I also don't want to see another summer of overpaying scrubs on short term deals.

Basketball Gods: love us again!

I don’t mind them going after big names as long as there is a plan B. Sucking again next season and trying again is no plan. Our previous FO finally figured that out when they were canned. More proof that Jeanie Buss is in way over her head.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The point is that they didn’t try to sign anyone, they made no effort to make the team better. That is not acceptable.

Like it or not, they made their plan clear.

This year, the goal was simply to let the young guys develop and clear cap space to go after free agents next year.

Consequently the key element of the new acquistions (Lopez, Pope) was whether they would have no impact on our cap situation next year, rather than whether they were the best fit for this year.

It's a placeholder season. It's cool to question Magic's strategy, but everything he's done has been committed to the strategy
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

If I have a plan and a style and I don't feel like any player available is worth the money or fits your plan, why would you just sign someone, just for the sake of looking like your doing something, is counter productive.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject:

But that wasn’t why they didn’t sign anyone. There were FAs out there that could help, even Paul George would have helped. They chose not to add talent and that was their choice to make. And that is also part of their legacy.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
But that wasn’t why they didn’t sign anyone. There were FAs out there that could help, even Paul George would have helped. They chose not to add talent and that was their choice to make. And that is also part of their legacy.

MAGIC is not looking to find guys that can “help”. He’s trying to sign guys that can push this team, along with the young guys to a championship level. Some of you fans just wanna he better, Good. Magic is shooting for the stars, he wants greatness. That’s the Laker way. Some of the moves and signings that y’all are suggesting would trap us into purgatory. We would be the Portland’s, New Orleans, Denver, Clippers, good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to be a contender. Other teams do consistently good really well. We do consistently great and that’s what Magic and Robs vision is! Will they pull it off, time will tell. You have to let the try and do it before condemning them!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Oh God, spare us the Laker Way BS. The Laker way died a few years ago and left his incompetent kids in charge. He took the Laker way to the grave.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Oh God, spare us the Laker Way BS. The Laker way died a few years ago and left his incompetent kids in charge. He took the Laker way to the grave.

“Spare us”..... nah, I’m gonna lay it on little thicker.
The “Laker Way” started with Dr. Buss...... AND Magic Johnson! There is no Laker way without the greatness of magic. The personality and charisma of magic. The Star Power of Magic. Kids didn’t want to become Lakers because. she of Dr. Buss. They are wanted to come because of Magic! Just ask Kobe!

All of those ingredients are what’s gonna make people want to come play for the Lakers again and a lot of you non believers are gonna end up with egg on your faces when he pulls it off.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Paul George wasn't a free agent this year.

Exactly which one-year-only free agents do you think they should have signed, apart from Pope and Bogut?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject:

I'd probably look at isiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and possibly Noels. Grab Noels for center and Bradley or isiah as a starting guard.

Prob is those likely have reasons to try and stay where they're at or go elsewhere

If we grabbed isiah he would probably be scoring option A. Lineup of ball IT Ingram and Noels...not sure who pf is (kuz? Keep Randle?)

If you signed Bradley then we get a better more controlled version of KCP...but for scoring we'd be relying on our young guys stepping up

But if I thought we had a shot at 2019 or 2020 free agency I'm probably doing some of the other suggestions in this thread.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

Absolutely no to IT. injury history and he won’t get better as he ages. You think his defense is bad now just wait.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

I don't see us pursuing IT, simply because the keys have been handed to Ball, though I would like us to have a solid veteran PG on the bench.

We'll really know about the 2-max plan depending on what PG13 does. If he re-signs with OKC, then the max plan is done. George is probably our best shot at a max player. Sign Him, re-sign Randle and go with:

Ball
Ingram
PG13
Kuzma
Randle
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

I think the Lakers just don’t like tiny guards. They present a defensive mismatch. We are looking for size st the perimeter spots bc we switch so much on defense.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

The old regimen has punted cap space before like what Magic did last offseason. You are making a conclusion based on one year result and forgot what was their previous strategy. So yes, Magic is following the same path as the previous regimen but you can only pray the result will be different.

Magic was playing smart not chasing big free agents last offseason not only because there aren't as high level of players. How much better is PG13 comparing to Hayward? To me, they are on the same tier. The trap some fans are falling is assuming because we have changed a front office, we are the top free agent destination again. Just think about if we offer Hayward max money, would that stopped him signing with the Celtics?
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

1. We have no idea if they are going to trade Randle, Clarkson, and Nance.

2. Magic made his strategy clear from the beginning. This would be a placeholder season and after it was over we would go after big name free agents.

3. Lots of people questioned the strategy, and lots of fans aren't enthusiastic about it, but they figure all they could do and wait to see if it works.

4. Because the team is playing worse than some fans expected, they are going into a panic, and, like you, assuming the plan will fail.

5. In reality, nothing has changed. Either Magic's plan will work or it won't. If it doesn't, there will be a sh*t storm from fans. Because you're right -- Magic's big sell was that he had the cache to attract big name free agents.

6. Personally, I wrote off this season before it started. We're doing a little worse than I expected, but not significantly worse. I thought we'd have a terrible defense and be the worse 3-point shooting team in the league. I was skeptical of Magic's plan from the beginning, but I see no reason to change my wait and see before I judge attitude,

I have assumed the plan will fail since day 1. This has nothing to do with our current standing. Obviously, if our standing is better, I will have less doubt.

The title of this thread already assumes the 2 max will fail. That's why I posted my comment here.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I think the Lakers just don’t like tiny guards. They present a defensive mismatch. We are looking for size at the perimeter spots bc we switch so much on defense.

I like IT and was thinking he could be a good signing but yeah there's no way he'd play on a team that switches as much as we do.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject:

Part of me is tempted to bring back to same group, but maybe trade Clarkson to get a shooter. As long as deals for Lopez and kcp are short and/or reasonable.

Also, go get Seth curry and say goodbye to Caruso and ennis.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
lakersfan8 wrote:

The old regimen has punted cap space before like what Magic did last offseason. You are making a conclusion based on one year result and forgot what was their previous strategy. So yes, Magic is following the same path as the previous regimen but you can only pray the result will be different.

Magic was playing smart not chasing big free agents last offseason not only because there aren't as high level of players. How much better is PG13 comparing to Hayward? To me, they are on the same tier. The trap some fans are falling is assuming because we have changed a front office, we are the top free agent destination again. Just think about if we offer Hayward max money, would that stopped him signing with the Celtics?

Much better.
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
I'd probably look at isiah Thomas, Avery Bradley and possibly Noels. Grab Noels for center and Bradley or isiah as a starting guard.

Prob is those likely have reasons to try and stay where they're at or go elsewhere

If we grabbed isiah he would probably be scoring option A. Lineup of ball IT Ingram and Noels...not sure who pf is (kuz? Keep Randle?)

If you signed Bradley then we get a better more controlled version of KCP...but for scoring we'd be relying on our young guys stepping up

But if I thought we had a shot at 2019 or 2020 free agency I'm probably doing some of the other suggestions in this thread.

Noel would have been interesting on this team. IT? Thank God he’s not on our team.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers is a big market team spending at a small market pace.
This is because of the salary cap rules. Have to get the players in place below the cap. Then when the team gets better can sign them over the cap because they have bird rights.
Hope someone can explain this better.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

I'm not punting I'm just gonna build around Ingram Kuzma and Ball

Lou Williams 15-17 mill 3 years.

Dewayne Dedman 12 mill per season 2 year deal

Seth curry 3 years 30 mill

I would try to move Clarkson along with Deng.

This is looking like our summer now

Last edited by Car54 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11
Jump to: