OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:41 am    Post subject:

Was Lue referring to Lebron when he said the team needed to stop playing with an agenda?

Passive aggressive
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject:

ToastedMuffins wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
ToastedMuffins wrote:

It's just a process of elimination.

The first question is which teams have the cap space to sign Paul George to a max contract

L.A. Lakers, Chicago Bulls, and Indiana Pacers. And that's it as things currently stand. Dallas, Atlanta, Sacramento, and Philadelphia could potentially open up enough cap space with some moves but no other team outside of those 7 are a contenders to steal George away as a free agent. The only remote competition the Lakers have for George of those seven is Philadelphia.

The second question is what teams have a chance to trade for Paul George at the deadline?

OKC is going to demand expiring contracts because if they aren't emptying their accounts for George then they sure won't be doing it for lesser players. So what teams have enough expiring salary to make a legal trade for George?

L.A. Lakers (Caldwell-Pope or Brewer+Randle+Filler) Atlanta (Bellinelli+Ilyasova+Filler), Houston (Paul), Dallas (McRoberts, Harris or Noel), Utah (Favors or Johnson+Filler), Philadelphia (Redick or Johnson/Booker+Filler), Phoenix (Monroe), Chicago (Mirotic or Poindexter), San Antonio (Parker+Filler), and Cleveland (Thomas+Frye+Filler)

Obviously Houston won't trade Paul and I choose to believe that San Antonio has too much respect for Parker to trade him. Cleveland may have the confidence to gamble on George but reportedly refuse to trade Brooklyn's 1st which would be necessary for OKC to play along. So once again our only real competition for George is from Philadelphia.

You are ignoring teams who can make deals to open up cap space. GS didn’t have the cap space to sign Durant.

I did address teams that could open the necessary cap space with small moves. Those teams are Philadelphia, Dallas, Atlanta, and Chicago. We'll see how things shake out after the trade deadline and then further on when we find out which players are opting into their contracts (I expect most probably will) but right now I wouldn't project any other team to be within $15 million of having enough room to offer George his max. Any you can think of VLF?

There was quite a bit of cap space in summer 2016 when Bogut was moved to facilitate Durant signing with Golden State.

This coming summer is going to be much different than summer 2016.

Teams other than the group already mentioned (LA, Philly, Indiana, Sacramento, Dallas etc) will need to be moving $25 - 30 million to create cap space for 30% and 35% Max free agents.*

Houston could probably do something as well, but CP3 would be gone and the Rockets would be leaning heavily on Harden for PG duties which they are trying to keep to moderate levels.

To be moving $25 - 30 million in salary in this situation could have a cost of 2 first round picks provided there is a team that has the cap space and is willing to do the trade. Much different than the second round pick that Golden State used to move Bogut's $11 million.

* I know that the teams that currently have the Bird Rights for 30 and 35% Max level players don't have to create cap space to sign them.

The expectation is that we can conduct the conversation at a high level.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject:

There is no question that there will be a few additional teams that will have the ability to free up cap space (although I find it unlikely that they do). I keep reading about PG wants to go to a winner. Don't look now, but unless he goes to a couple of teams, he is not winning a championship. Our big advantage (aside of being able to get PG home) is that we could offer a 2nd player a max contract. Is there someone that PG wants? I think its better to trade for him now (can't believe I am saying that) so we have the ability to plan what direction the FO and PG want to go in.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
There is no question that there will be a few additional teams that will have the ability to free up cap space (although I find it unlikely that they do). I keep reading about PG wants to go to a winner. Don't look now, but unless he goes to a couple of teams, he is not winning a championship. Our big advantage (aside of being able to get PG home) is that we could offer a 2nd player a max contract. Is there someone that PG wants? I think its better to trade for him now (can't believe I am saying that) so we have the ability to plan what direction the FO and PG want to go in.

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in a bush. If we knew for certainty that PG13 was coming here regardless, then we could wait. I also think as long OKC is in the playoff hunt, they are going to hold on to PG13 and try to see if getting to the conference finals is enough to get PG13 to re-sign. But if OKC is open to a trade, not wanting to lose George for nothing then...

I would offer KCP, Brewer, and one of the Zubac/Bryant/Nance/Hart youngsters. KCP would seem to fit OKC, Brewer is cap space and they can keep the youngster they want going forward. OKC is tied to Westbrook, long term and they should ride it out as long as they can.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject:

jjangx27 wrote:
Was Lue referring to Lebron when he said the team needed to stop playing with an agenda?

Passive aggressive

Or maybe Isiah Thomas
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

A bird in the hand is better than 2 in a bush. If we knew for certainty that PG13 was coming here regardless, then we could wait. I also think as long OKC is in the playoff hunt, they are going to hold on to PG13 and try to see if getting to the conference finals is enough to get PG13 to re-sign. But if OKC is open to a trade, not wanting to lose George for nothing then...

I would offer KCP, Brewer, and one of the Zubac/Bryant/Nance/Hart youngsters. KCP would seem to fit OKC, Brewer is cap space and they can keep the youngster they want going forward. OKC is tied to Westbrook, long term and they should ride it out as long as they can.

If the OKC organization believes that this team is getting to the conference finals, they are extremely delusional. They have put themselves into a self inflicted bad spot. Trading for 2 guys who can both become free agents, with no guarantee that either would stay was a huge risk. I understand it though. The goal was to get Russ name on that extension and if you look like your trying, that may impress him.... and it did. I guess they accomplished their goal. Russ insistence to show the world that he's more loyal tha KD is gonna bite him in the rear as well. He's gonna look up one day and realize that he is stuck in OKC all by his lonesome, with no help coming.
fontana3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

If the OKC organization believes that this team is getting to the conference finals, they are extremely delusional. They have put themselves into a self inflicted bad spot. Trading for 2 guys who can both become free agents, with no guarantee that either would stay was a huge risk. I understand it though. The goal was to get Russ name on that extension and if you look like your trying, that may impress him.... and it did. I guess they accomplished their goal. Russ insistence to show the world that he's more loyal tha KD is gonna bite him in the rear as well. He's gonna look up one day and realize that he is stuck in OKC all by his lonesome, with no help coming.

Like where else Russ is going to go it was OKC or bust for him.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

Griffin for Towns

Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Would be crazy for Cavs to lose Kyrie and then LeBron in consecutive years.
That's worse than Harden and KD.

Would make up for the consecutive high picks
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248593/Knicks-To-Waive-Ramon-Sessions

There is a solution to our back up PG issues
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
#savethekids wrote:
This place is beyond silly!
The dude 2.0 4.0 or 6.0 has ruined this site.
I have been reading this forum for years, and now all i have to do is look at the messages without the name of the author even showing and know who has made the most passive-aggressive moronic, and ridiculous posts!

Best post since 2.0 called Luke a "fascist liar."

The best was "Why do I post? Because I have hands!"

I think that was over 10 years ago.

I missed so much in my time away. That sounds beautiful
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
Griffin for Towns

I thought it was April 1st.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

AJChang617 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I figured that once West/Frank took over from Doc/Frank that they would try to get out from that Griffin contract.

Yet 4 months back they r the people that gave him the contract.

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject:

AJChang617 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I figured that once West/Frank took over from Doc/Frank that they would try to get out from that Griffin contract.

Doc gave him that contract
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

Give it up VLF you lost.

Blake Griffin Credits Jerry West with Convincing Him to Return to Clippers

Quote:
Los Angeles Clippers power forward Blake Griffin said NBA legend and team consultant Jerry West played a critical role in getting him to sign a long-term contract to stay in L.A.

Quote:
"Jerry had a major voice to me, and he's had an influence in coming and working on the culture here," he said. "This franchise had unfinished business, and I had unfinished business here. We had unfinished business together and I valued that. We laid it out there that no matter what was going on around us, both sides hadn't accomplished what we set out for. I couldn't abandon this now."

venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Jerry West is a consultant, he doesn’t offer anyone a contract. He only advises the team.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jerry West is a consultant, he doesn’t offer anyone a contract. He only advises the team.

Terrible advice.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Terrible advice.

Yes, he could have advised them to sign KCP and win 20 games this season. Only we didn’t need a consultant to do that.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

Blake Griffin five-year, $173 million contract. Great job Jerry. Glad the Lakers didn't hire you!
AJChang617
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
AJChang617 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Doc gave him that contract

Kat for Griffin: oh wow West is goat
Griffin signs with clippers: oh West is just a consultant

Which 1 is it?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Blake Griffin five-year, $173 million contract. Great job Jerry. Glad the Lakers didn't hire you!

Yeah, screw that silly old dotard, Jerry West
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Ennis loves giving momentum to opponents

Get someone serviceable and no Caruso won’t cut it,
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Cmon Jc
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
32 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Terrible advice.

Yes, he could have advised them to sign KCP and win 20 games this season. Only we didn’t need a consultant to do that.

Short-term thinking VLF, just like when you used to crush the Sixers for tanking.

I'd much rather have the Lakers roster and cap situation moving forward than the Clips.

Talk about a pupu platter- injury prone Blake on a mega contract and their second best player is soon to be FA Jordan, who can't be on the court vs the Ws in the last 5 minutes of the game.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Jerry will always be a Laker. He wanted to make sure that we are the top dog in LA once again.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 447 of 2680
Jump to: