OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 841, 842, 843 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Can someone explain this to me. How come Lonzo did his impression of 2011 Lebron vs the Mavs at the end of the game. I assume it was by design, but he kept on moving away from the ball instread of towards it. Even when the ball handler was trapped and needed someone to pass the ball to. Did Luke give specific orders to clear out for JC every play? Was he scared to touch the ball (doubt it)? Was he playing SF and looking for a corner 3?

If BI was healthy, Luke would certainly have called clearouts for him every play down the stretch. Luke just pivoted to JC with Ingram out.

Lonzo specifically isn't getting those plays because he's not much of a threat to score on switches, and almost every team will switch the PnR to close out games and force Lonzo to beat them.

But I wish Luke ran more offense in close 4th quarters than just PnR to set up isos on switches.

Yeah man. I almost think it would throw the opponent off with a clean execution of an offensive play.

ISO Luke!
OCWA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Basically had his season averages today 9-7-7. Not bad, but he didn't control the game like he has been lately. Luke took the ball out of his hands in OT. Not sure if that was the right call by Luke, but Luke was smart enough to keep, Zo, on the floor for defensive purposes. At the beginning of the year who would have thought that Zo would be contributing so much on the defensive end.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

So Zo's shot was off.
And with BI out and Dallas going small with their small death lineup (8th in net rating lineups?), Lakers had to go 3 guards. Interesting game.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Basically had his season averages today 9-7-7. Not bad, but he didn't control the game like he has been lately. Luke took the ball out of his hands in OT. Not sure if that was the right call by Luke, but Luke was smart enough to keep, Zo, on the floor for defensive purposes. At the beginning of the year who would have thought that Zo would be contributing so much on the defensive end.

Yes, it’s also not a coincidence that the Lakers have crept back up to top 10 in defense since he’s return, good stuff.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Shot not falling today, but still zero turnovers and very good defense.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Hope he works on a post game and use his size on PGs rather than waste time tweeking his jumper. He’d be so dangerous.
incontrol__
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Seemed like he didn't have legs tonight. Shots looked short, didn't see those bursts of energy I'm used to lately. He had a bit at start of 3rd but for the most part he wasn't anywhere near as active as he has been lately, even on the boards (still made some disruptive/smart plays there though).

Year 2 Lonzo is going to be a joy to watch. Work on his finishing and dealing with NBA contact, he'll start having had a lot of experience against players and teams, experience with NBA schedule, hopefully his jumpshot will be improved (or rebuilt -- his shot still seems super streaky), etc.

Regardless of what happens in the summer (free agent wise) I'm going to have fun watching Lonzo.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

incontrol__ wrote:
Seemed like he didn't have legs tonight. Shots looked short, didn't see those bursts of energy I'm used to lately. He had a bit at start of 3rd but for the most part he wasn't anywhere near as active as he has been lately, even on the boards (still made some disruptive/smart plays there though).

Year 2 Lonzo is going to be a joy to watch. Work on his finishing and dealing with NBA contact, he'll start having had a lot of experience against players and teams, experience with NBA schedule, hopefully his jumpshot will be improved (or rebuilt -- his shot still seems super streaky), etc.

Regardless of what happens in the summer (free agent wise) I'm going to have fun watching Lonzo.

I'm curious what Lonzo will look like with a year or two of NBA-caliber strength & conditioning.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
incontrol__ wrote:

I'm curious what Lonzo will look like with a year or two of NBA-caliber strength & conditioning.

And the natural addition of weight. Stud. That's what he will look like.
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:45 pm    Post subject:

Andre2K wrote:
OCWA wrote:

Yes, it’s also not a coincidence that the Lakers have crept back up to top 10 in defense since he’s return, good stuff.

We're also back in the Top 5 in pace since he's been back.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
incontrol__ wrote:

Like Kidd on steroids.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
incontrol__ wrote:

He has the body to put on man weight, more so than Ingram.. They call that, you know, a normal body
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Stinker of a shooting game tonight but he's so disruptive on defense
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject:

Seems like so long ago, but remember the narrative from experts that all of the good PGs in the league were licking their chops to face Lonzo because they could abuse him on defense because Lonzo was terrible at it?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:
Seems like so long ago, but remember the narrative from experts that all of the good PGs in the league were licking their chops to face Lonzo because they could abuse him on defense because Lonzo was terrible at it?

Bingo. The narrative (slow, unathletic, not ready for NBA competition) is largely disproved. Lonzo needs to improve his shot and learn when to call his own number, but he is absolutely the right guy for us.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
incontrol__ wrote:

He has the body to put on man weight, more so than Ingram.. They call that, you know, a normal body

From the looks of it Lonzo has a normal build, not an ectomorphic skinny build like BI. He was raised a gym rat, and with the height, length and physique he has now I fully expect in 2 years of NBA weightlifting and training he's going to be a tough match physically with any guard in the NBA. That should translate to finishing at the rim with more authority. I also expect he'll be hitting from mid-range, and nailing his 3's to go with that uncanny vision and court sense.

And he'll just be that much better on defense, which he's already surprisingly good at.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject:

FanOfFour wrote:

Wow. That was only 3 months ago?
Hilarious.

I'm grateful brothers don't come into this thread and suggest we bench or send Ball to the g league anymore. Man that was brutal.
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
incontrol__ wrote:

From the looks of it Lonzo has a normal build, not an ectomorphic skinny build like BI. He was raised a gym rat, and with the height, length and physique he has now I fully expect in 2 years of NBA weightlifting and training he's going to be a tough match physically with any guard in the NBA. That should translate to finishing at the rim with more authority. I also expect he'll be hitting from mid-range, and nailing his 3's to go with that uncanny vision and court sense.

And he'll just be that much better on defense, which he's already surprisingly good at.

One of the posters here as a nice avatar pic of the camera catching Kobe one hand slaming it over a contest.

I can't wait for Ball's first. Probably next year. He's going to rise up a poster a player, and no one will be expecting it. Hopefully it'll be on the home court, crowd will explode.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

How can you not like a rookie that contributes even when he's not shooting well?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Zo will have to get tougher as well. He almost always avoids contact. On the other hand, skinny BI is pretty damn fearless, regardless of his lack of muscle. Young, skinny Kobe was also not afraid to take a hit.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject:

LandsbergerRules wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Zo will have to get tougher as well. He almost always avoids contact. On the other hand, skinny BI is pretty damn fearless, regardless of his lack of muscle. Young, skinny Kobe was also not afraid to take a hit.

Rookie BI absolutely avoided contact going to the rim. This year, he doesn't. I expect the same from Lonzo eventually.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lonzo Ball woke up with a sore left knee this morning, and for precautionary reasons, is getting an MRI in Memphis today. The Lakers will send an update with the results.

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/952643523412746242
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Ah the life of physically underdeveloped rookies playing big minutes. Yay.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

First BI. Then Nance. Now Lonzo.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Winning streak in jeopardy!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 841, 842, 843 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 842 of 1688
Jump to: