What are your favorite cities in the LA metropolitan region other than LA itself?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Just personal opinion -- I've always considered north & south OC to be culturally distinct, with north OC being more akin to the LA metro area, and south OC closer to San Diego.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
And BTW, the OC may officially be considered part of the "LA metro area", but it doesn't feel like LA there. I've been to Anaheim a bunch of times. Although it feels like SoCal, it also feels like everyone there recently came from the Midwest. It has this conservative, middle of the road vibe, as opposed to the liberal, do your own thing vibe of LA, especially the westside.

Theres plenty of areas in the metro LA area that are conservative as well. West LA is only one part of the LA metro area.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The OC is part of the LA metropolitan area.
It also includes parts of Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties as well.
Now if they were talking about if the OC was part of the city or county of Los Angeles, then obviously it would not include it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area

Nope.

. . . and wikipedia? really?

And you haven't shown anything that has disproven that it isn't part of the LA metro area.

Different county with a completely different vibe, attitude look and focal point. It's not even a suburb of a suburb of Los Angeles. Places like San Clemente are in no way part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area (nor would most of it's residents WANT to be) - hell it's more akin to San Diego. It's like saying Santa Cruz is part of San Francisco's area. They couldn't be more different and separate.

Just because some people may make the commute from parts of the OC doesn't make it part of the area.

So basically what you are saying is that it is your personal definition of what consists of the LA metro area....
Most of the media refers to the LA metro area as a geographical block bigger than just LA county. Obviously the "vibe" in Riverside or Palmdale would be much different from Venice or Beverly Hills.

I'm saying that as someone who has grown up in Southern California and spent a great deal of time in 50 years getting to know the various areas and the people in them, there's a clear distinction between LA - even the "greater LA" area - and outlying areas in other counties where the style of life and everything about them is NOT in anyway LA . . . regardless of how much some people would like to pretend those different areas are part of LA.

I believe many of the posters here have spent their entire lives in metro LA including yours truly and understand what it is.....you are trying to define it according to your own definition. The metro LA area is a pretty diverse area of different cultures, vibes, religions, etc....There is no set standard of what is the norm.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Why do people keep trying to insist that OC is Los Angeles?

Nothing could be further from the truth.

The OC is part of the LA metropolitan area.
It also includes parts of Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside counties as well.
Now if they were talking about if the OC was part of the city or county of Los Angeles, then obviously it would not include it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_metropolitan_area

Nope.

. . . and wikipedia? really?

And you haven't shown anything that has disproven that it isn't part of the LA metro area.

Different county with a completely different vibe, attitude look and focal point. It's not even a suburb of a suburb of Los Angeles. Places like San Clemente are in no way part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area (nor would most of it's residents WANT to be) - hell it's more akin to San Diego. It's like saying Santa Cruz is part of San Francisco's area. They couldn't be more different and separate.

Just because some people may make the commute from parts of the OC doesn't make it part of the area.

So basically what you are saying is that it is your personal definition of what consists of the LA metro area....
Most of the media refers to the LA metro area as a geographical block bigger than just LA county. Obviously the "vibe" in Riverside or Palmdale would be much different from Venice or Beverly Hills.

And buy the way, I totally get that the media does that. It's in their financial best interest to do so. They create a larger audience by including as many people people in their broadcast area as possible.

That doesn't mean that because they do so, the OC is actually a part of the LAC area.

What I find hilarious is the OC's need to feel affiliated with Los Angeles . . . until it is personally convenient for them to make it a point to rabidly point out how they are NOT LA.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

I believe many of the posters here have spent their entire lives in metro LA including yours truly and understand what it is.....you are trying to define it according to your own definition. The metro LA area is a pretty diverse area of different cultures, vibes, religions, etc....There is no set standard of what is the norm.

Believe me, I am well aware of the various cultures etc. of LA. And that's my point. Yes, WeHo is different than Fairfax which is different than the Valley which is different than Santa Monica and so on and so on.

These outlying areas that some like to say are part of the LA "metropolitan area" are not. And that doesn't come from any position of dismissiveness or anything of the like. It comes from a position that realizes those areas are distinct and separate on their own merits and character that have nothing to do with LA.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Believe me, I am well aware of the various cultures etc. of LA. And that's my point. Yes, WeHo is different than Fairfax which is different than the Valley which is different than Santa Monica and so on and so on.

These outlying areas that some like to say are part of the LA "metropolitan area" are not. And that doesn't come from any position of dismissiveness or anything of the like. It comes from a position that realizes those areas are distinct and separate on their own merits and character that have nothing to do with LA.

The point is that when one refers to the metro LA area it doesn't define that it has to be within LA city or LA county limits. Its a pretty broad definition that most people understand its a general geographical entity.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

The point is that when one refers to the metro LA area it doesn't define that it has to be within LA city or LA county limits. Its a pretty broad definition that most people understand its a general geographical entity.

Seriously? Geography is absolutely the LAST argument in favor of what you are saying. There's a whole list of geographical aspects that work against the argument of any kind of cohesiveness between the OC and LA. There are whole geographical formations which naturally break apart continuity between the two from peninsulas, bodies of water in the form of separate bays, mountains . . . and that's just the geography. It wasn't that long ago that there were literally dozens of miles of nothing between the edges of LA and the first formations of the OC - which at the time was formed with NO intention to be "part of LA".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Once again you are making a mountain out of a molehill....the only one who is offended by including cities in the OC as part of the LA metro area is you. Pretty much everyone has a general understanding of what the LA metro area is around here....except for one certain poster. There are plenty of posters who answered the question without making this topic a freaking essay.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Also the US Census bureau pretty much places Anaheim as being part of the LA metro area....
https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?src=bkmk
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject:

DMR, do you consider Santa Clarita part of the LA area?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

I looked it up and Santa Clarita is part of the LA metro area....
I also realized that it was the Office of Management and Budget, a federal government agency that sets up these metropolitan areas for census purposes. So if DMR has a problem with the OC being part of the LA metro area he can take up his grievances with them....
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Just personal opinion -- I've always considered north & south OC to be culturally distinct, with north OC being more akin to the LA metro area, and south OC closer to San Diego.

:nods:

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Irvine, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: