OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 847, 848, 849 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
bandiger wrote:
MyKRo wrote:
Why is there a night/day difference with defense when Lonzo is out?

I know Lonzo is a good defender. But still doesn't explain why the whole team defense goes down the drain.

Lonzo is just that good and without BI there to limit trash like Ennis or Caruso along with Luke's trash adjustments its just LLL

Its a shame the FO couldn't do better than our present backup PG's, specially with a rookie PG starting. If their going to make a trade now better get a vet PG back.

Definitely one of the worst Magic moves (or lack thereof) so far, and a huge reason I don't give him the benefit of the doubt going forward. It's a glaring roster oversight. And how could you possibly think Lonzo's body is going to hold up over an 82 game season?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

Woj was just on the radio talking about how there aren't teams jumping at the opportunity to trade for Randle because Magic has already let it be known that he's likely gone either way...so why trade for him now? Pincus just wrote an article about how he spoke with an Eastern Conference exec and they thought that Clarkson had the most value out of the JC/Randle/Nance trio, and other writers have stated that they feel like they can trade JC whenever they want to, so I do think there's a market for him.

I get your point that Randle & Clarkson can both be pouty and immature, and agree. I just don't think the "shape up or ship out" approach helps the team.

Maybe it was out of frustration because I thought they could have lead the team yesterday, so my post may have sounded harsh

I think Randle and even Clarkson have a place on this team, but maybe it’s in roles that they aren’t fully accepting, not yet at least.

Completely agree on how lakers FO has approached the situation. Imo it could have been handled better. I do think a part of it is what Randle is going to to command in terms of compensation. Imo that has some teams hesitating (e.g., Boston wanting Nance instead of Randle for Bradley).

Last edited by LakerSD on Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

I really find it hard to believe that without those comments Randle's value would be significantly higher. If teams valued him, particularly playoff bound teams, there would be a decent market even for his short term services.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN Staff Writer

Lonzo Ball's knee remains sore and he was unable to go through a light practice on Tuesday.
It appears unlikely that Ball will play on Wednesday against OKC.
Luke Walton expects Brandon Ingram to play as long as there are no setbacks with his sprained ankle after he went through 5-on-0 practice today.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Quote:
Ohm Youngmisuk - ESPN Staff Writer

Lonzo Ball's knee remains sore and he was unable to go through a light practice on Tuesday.
It appears unlikely that Ball will play on Wednesday against OKC.
Luke Walton expects Brandon Ingram to play as long as there are no setbacks with his sprained ankle after he went through 5-on-0 practice today.

5 on 0 practices seem like the best way to evaluate players ability to take the floor. Do they even use training dummies?
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
They aren’t fringe players and in Randle’s case there aren’t too many guys of his ilk. I actually would not mind if the lakers kept Randle and Clarkson, but imo they need to help themselves too.

Based on what we hear about market value, it doesn’t seem like teams are jumping at the opportunity to acquire Randle or Clarkson. Again, that’s not to say they aren’t talented, because they clearly are; but they also need to step up and show they deserve what they desire. The pouting will raise flags.

I guess all I’m saying is if Randle wants to get paid what he has in his head then he has to evolve a bit (he has improved this season no doubt). If clarkson wants more than a 6th man role, he has to demonstrate he can handle it. Last night was a good opportunity, but it wasn’t in the cards.

Sometimes guys eventually just settle into roles and that’s fine, but clarkson and randle aren’t there yet and desire more.

Woj was just on the radio talking about how there aren't teams jumping at the opportunity to trade for Randle because Magic has already let it be known that he's likely gone either way...so why trade for him now? Pincus just wrote an article about how he spoke with an Eastern Conference exec and they thought that Clarkson had the most value out of the JC/Randle/Nance trio, and other writers have stated that they feel like they can trade JC whenever they want to, so I do think there's a market for him.

I get your point that Randle & Clarkson can both be pouty and immature, and agree. I just don't think the "shape up or ship out" approach helps the team.

Randle is salvageable but has the worst attitude/approach to the game on the team. One of the worst I’ve seen in a while. It may be cause of how he was treated but at some point he needs to grow up and do the right stuff regardless. To this point, he’s either unable or unwilling to play with the requisite effort and intelligence on a consistent basis.

Clarkson is lost. As you mentioned on your podcast, he’s content with who he is and who that is doesn’t work with the Lakers or most other good teams in the NBA. We should get as much as we can from whatever Eastern conference exec said that for him. Let them deal with the eye sore of a player that Clarkson has become. Even if it slightly hurts the Lakers in the short term(which I’m not sure would be the case) getting rid of him is the right move.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
Back to Lonzo...this right here says it all

https://twitter.com/lakerfilmroom/status/953104136681082880

Akindo disagrees
Lonzo does not make the Lakers better

Hasn't been in this thread for a while (not that I miss being called "passive aggressive" when disagreeing with him).
Plus JC hasn't been the most consistent player recently.
Hope our fellow LGer is OK.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

I don't rush Lonzo to rush anything, but it's often tough to watch this team without him.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
I don't rush Lonzo to rush anything, but it's often tough to watch this team without him.

Lonzo gets the ball to move around. I feel like there is a serious lack of offensive sets being run. That's on coaching. Offensively this team really stagnates without ball movement. Iso (bleep) is really poor efficiency and that's what they go to barring any other direction. Need to clean that up else this team is going to stay in the dumps.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

BigGameHames wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
They aren’t fringe players and in Randle’s case there aren’t too many guys of his ilk. I actually would not mind if the lakers kept Randle and Clarkson, but imo they need to help themselves too.

Based on what we hear about market value, it doesn’t seem like teams are jumping at the opportunity to acquire Randle or Clarkson. Again, that’s not to say they aren’t talented, because they clearly are; but they also need to step up and show they deserve what they desire. The pouting will raise flags.

I guess all I’m saying is if Randle wants to get paid what he has in his head then he has to evolve a bit (he has improved this season no doubt). If clarkson wants more than a 6th man role, he has to demonstrate he can handle it. Last night was a good opportunity, but it wasn’t in the cards.

Sometimes guys eventually just settle into roles and that’s fine, but clarkson and randle aren’t there yet and desire more.

Randle is salvageable but has the worst attitude/approach to the game on the team. One of the worst I’ve seen in a while. It may be cause of how he was treated but at some point he needs to grow up and do the right stuff regardless. To this point, he’s either unable or unwilling to play with the requisite effort and intelligence on a consistent basis.

Clarkson is lost. As you mentioned on your podcast, he’s content with who he is and who that is doesn’t work with the Lakers or most other good teams in the NBA. We should get as much as we can from whatever Eastern conference exec said that for him. Let them deal with the eye sore of a player that Clarkson has become. Even if it slightly hurts the Lakers in the short term(which I’m not sure would be the case) getting rid of him is the right move.

I don't really mind Clarkson anymore, but according to GT he's miserable about his role and minutes. Maybe the biggest boost is just increasing the overall intelligence and maturity of the team, kind of like when they sent NVG packing for nothing.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I think as long as Ingram is ready to play tomorrow even without Lonzo.. I think we can still end up winning the game... at some point we will need to find a way to get it done without our superstar PG.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

Lonzo gets the ball to move around. I feel like there is a serious lack of offensive sets being run. That's on coaching. Offensively this team really stagnates without ball movement. Iso (bleep) is really poor efficiency and that's what they go to barring any other direction. Need to clean that up else this team is going to stay in the dumps.

It's partly on the coaching, but not all of it. There are sets being run, just not well. Sets break down before they seem to get started.

This happened last season, too,when a certain guard wasn't in the lineup to direct people where to be and when to move. It's deja vu.

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Fastbreak32 wrote:
Staccatos wrote:
Fastbreak32 wrote:

It's partly on the coaching, but not all of it. There are sets being run, just not well. Sets break down before they seem to get started.

This happened last season, too,when a certain guard wasn't in the lineup to direct people where to be and when to move. It's deja vu.

It's almost as though it's advisable to have more than one of those guys on your team.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Time for Mitten-Son-Of-Glove to come in and spell time for Lonzo so he can heal properly! Keep the pace fast. Keep the ball moving. Play tough defense. Let everyone else score!

Perhaps a tad over-optimistic, but the Lakers do need to let Lonzo heal without rushing back, and it's unfortunate Caruso and Ennis aren't rising to the occasion.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I really find it hard to believe that without those comments Randle's value would be significantly higher. If teams valued him, particularly playoff bound teams, there would be a decent market even for his short term services.

Randle is not going to be a difference maker on a playoff team. He is still a 23 y/o prospect and the team that values him the most will be one whose timeline is a few years in the future and Randle can hopefully continue to improve as he has every season. And that same team is less likely to trade for Randle when they know they can probably just sign him in FA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:

It’s been reported that teams aren’t interested in adding salary in the next 3 weeks or so. Now if they can dump salary on us we might see a trade.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

It’s been reported that teams aren’t interested in adding salary in the next 3 weeks or so. Now if they can dump salary on us we might see a trade.

Lakers rather see Randle walk then taking on salary
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject:

I'm concerned about Lonzo long term. He seems awfully fragile. Way too many injuries for a young man his age.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
I'm concerned about Lonzo long term. He seems awfully fragile. Way too many injuries for a young man his age.

Did he have injuries in HS/UCLA? The only other injury he had was the shoulder issue but I wouldn't lay that one down to fragility. He had an armbar put on him.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:

he has a sprained knee... anyone who sprains a knee will likely be out
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I would only worry if he starts getting PRP injections
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Anyone know the story on Lonzo? Like, what happened? I know what is reported is that he just woke up that way but, seems, fishy.
FanOfFour
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
troy wrote:

he has a sprained knee... anyone who sprains a knee will likely be out

He started every single game that UCLA played last season. He was dinged up a few times but he played in every single game. And when he did get dinged up it was an on the court type injury like a fall. The Lakers are just being very cautious with him. And look around every high-profile rookie just about is missing games or being held out of games.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

He played twice a week at UCLA compared to every other day this month. Not a lot of time to heal.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Sessions sounds like a good idea for backup PG. Good on the break and can shoot.

Wonder what the status is with that and if its a real possibility.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 847, 848, 849 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 848 of 1688
Jump to: