Sexual Harassment Accusations (Weinstein sentenced to 23 years; Weinstein put in isolation after contracting virus) BILL COSBY RELEASED pg44
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
To be fair, I read multiple accounts where the women immediately made noise about it to the people around the industry, but it was all brushed off as "oh that's Harvey". He had a 24 hour machine around him. He hired former Israeli agents to keep them silent. I can see how they felt helpless.

Yeah, right. How many of them picked the phone and called a lawyer or a reporter? Someone like Gloria Allred would have been all over this. So they talked to people "in the industry" who brushed them off. Really? That's it? You think you were sexually assaulted, and all you do is talk to other people in the industry?

Sorry, but I do not buy this narrative at all. These were women who made a business decision. They were afraid that blowing the whistle on Weinstein would hurt their careers. Maybe they were right, but their cowardice enabled Weinstein to keep preying on women. So, yeah, go pat yourselves on the backs now that someone else actually had the guts to stand up to Weinstein.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
To be fair, I read multiple accounts where the women immediately made noise about it to the people around the industry, but it was all brushed off as "oh that's Harvey". He had a 24 hour machine around him. He hired former Israeli agents to keep them silent. I can see how they felt helpless.

Yeah, right. How many of them picked the phone and called a lawyer or a reporter? Someone like Gloria Allred would have been all over this. So they talked to people "in the industry" who brushed them off. Really? That's it? You think you were sexually assaulted, and all you do is talk to other people in the industry?

Sorry, but I do not buy this narrative at all. These were women who made a business decision. They were afraid that blowing the whistle on Weinstein would hurt their careers. Maybe they were right, but their cowardice enabled Weinstein to keep preying on women. So, yeah, go pat yourselves on the backs now that someone else actually had the guts to stand up to Weinstein.

Even if they did stay silent and that is the reason, they are still victims and shouldn't be tied to the word "cowardice." I'm not going to attack any victim of sexual assault by calling them cowards... the first time they were attacked was enough.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Even if they did stay silent and that is the reason, they are still victims and shouldn't be tied to the word "cowardice." I'm not going to attack any victim of sexual assault by calling them cowards... the first time they were attacked was enough.

I'm not as sympathetic as you are, especially when I see the current orgy of self-congratulation. I have far more respect for the women who have apologized for their silence.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

Do you also feel this way about wives that put up with their husbands physical and mental abuse in order to keep their kids safe or maintain the appearance a of "normal" lifestyle?

If you read Selma Hyak's account, you'd see what a mixed bag her relationship with Weinstein was. He'd give her the world and then turn around and request sexual favors. To call it a "business" decision is callus and removes how one's life revolves around their work, their means of providing for their family and those who rely on their career.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Do you also feel this way about wives that put up with their husbands physical and mental abuse in order to keep their kids safe or maintain the appearance a of "normal" lifestyle?

If you read Selma Hyak's account, you'd see what a mixed bag her relationship with Weinstein was. He'd give her the world and then turn around and request sexual favors. To call it a "business" decision is callus and removes how one's life revolves around their work, their means of providing for their family and those who rely on their career.

On your abused wives analogy, sorry, but that doesn't work. The woman is hurting only herself. If the husband is also sexually or physically abusing the children, or other women in the neighborhood, how do you feel about her?

As for Selma Hayek, I haven't read the account, but I'll accept your summary. That is absolutely a business decision, and calling it a business decision is not callous at all. What do we think about someone who provides sexual favors to advance their career or for financial gain?

I understand that a lot of these women have rationalized what they did. Maybe you and some of the others here are willing to cut them some slack. I'm not going to criticize you for being forgiving. However, when I see those scenes from the Golden Globes with a bunch of self-righteous, elitist, out of touch enablers patting themselves on the back for finally standing up to the people they enabled, it just makes me angry.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

On your abused wives analogy, sorry, but that doesn't work. The woman is hurting only herself. If the husband is also sexually or physically abusing the children, or other women in the neighborhood, how do you feel about her?

As for Selma Hayek, I haven't read the account, but I'll accept your summary. That is absolutely a business decision, and calling it a business decision is not callous at all. What do we think about someone who provides sexual favors to advance their career or for financial gain?

I understand that a lot of these women have rationalized what they did. Maybe you and some of the others here are willing to cut them some slack. I'm not going to criticize you for being forgiving. However, when I see those scenes from the Golden Globes with a bunch of self-righteous, elitist, out of touch enablers patting themselves on the back for finally standing up to the people they enabled, it just makes me angry.

You should read Hayek's op-ed piece. She wasn't providing sexual favors. He would "green light" projects for her, projects like "Frida" which she had worked on for years to be made, then he would show up mid-way through filming and demanded for her to have a lesbian make out scene. What was she supposed to do? Hundreds of people were working on the film. It was her life's passion. Is that purely a financial decision for her? No, far from it.

And I think your feelings about the Golden Globe are separate than what those like Hayek or Mira Sorvino experienced. Yes, Hollywood congratulates themselves. So does every industry these days.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject:

Harvey Weinstein Is My Monster Too
By SALMA HAYEK Dec. 12, 2017

LINK

Salma Hayek recalls Harvey Weinstein 'fury' on 'Frida' set in op-ed

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

It's pretty easy to see it as a business dealing from the outside. What if you had a boss that wanted you to perform sexual favors for him, and if you didn't, you'd never practice law in any real way again? Still a business decision? No coercion?
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

It's pretty easy to see it as a business dealing from the outside. What if you had a boss that wanted you to perform sexual favors for him, and if you didn't, you'd never practice law in any real way again? Still a business decision? No coercion?

Then of course, pretend that you had no way of proving it. Pretend that you went to police and they started an investigation. Then, in the mean time you were ostracized from every law firm or potential client and were unable to earn an income.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Fear of alienation.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Absolutely a business decision. In fact, duh, of course it would be a business decision.

When you ask whether there is coercion, you are launching into a false narrative. Of course there is some degree of coercion. But this is not North Korea. You have choices. You can go to the police. You can go to a lawyer. You can go to the media. Hell, you can just decide to pursue a different career if you have to do it. Or you can just say, "No" and take the career consequences.

If you want to be outraged by the Harvey Weinsteins of the world, be my guest. But free will and personal responsibility are still relevant. If a woman gave Harvey Weinstein sexual favors to get ahead in her career, and then she shut up about it or took some money and signed a non-disclosure agreement, that is free will and a matter of personal responsibility. It sucks that she had to deal with someone like Harvey Weinstein, but the world just sucks sometimes. She made a business decision, and I will not honor her for having the "courage" to talk about it when it is suddenly a good career move to jump on the #metoo bandwagon.

In 2018 (if ever), women are not helpless victims made of porcelain. Perhaps what angers me the most is the narrative that none of them could figure out what to do, except for the ones who took payoffs and promised not to tell. Rose McGowan took the money, by the way. Her conscience finally got the better of her, so she didn't stay bought.

By the way, I have no problem with the women who took the money. Hell, I represent women in negotiating those deals from time to time, though none of my cases have ever involved celebrities. My clients are not heroes. They are victims. Some of them are deeply troubled by taking the money and signing a non-disclosure agreement. We talk about the pros and cons. They make business decisions.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I'm not as sympathetic as you are, especially when I see the current orgy of self-congratulation. I have far more respect for the women who have apologized for their silence.

You've been assaulted... humiliated... you are a victim. And then, after that, you have to decide whether to report it, knowing that in addition to the shame, pain and depression you already feel, its likely by reporting it and taking it further, you are going to effectively become a martyr, losing your job, your financial stability and possibly friends and family members.

I have great respect for those who would risk their life as they know it to make sure those who abusers and criminals are held accountable. However, by no means would I call those who choose not compound their pain by sacrificing everything else in order to report what they've been through "cowards."

While you can call these business decisions, one shouldn't put a negative connotation on it. It's a no win situation.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Harvey Weinstein Is My Monster Too
By SALMA HAYEK Dec. 12, 2017

LINK

Salma Hayek recalls Harvey Weinstein 'fury' on 'Frida' set in op-ed

LINK

Read that. If I were HER in particular, I would've been terrified of Weinstein. She was probably very aware and wary of her appearance to men for much of her life. Probably from a young age she was aware of situations to never get herself close to. I don't know exactly if people think of her as a particularly intelligent person, but she showed copious "street smarts" in avoiding that POS. Felt bad for her reading that. She's a nice person for sure and this guy wanted to ruin her life. When he finally accepted her rebuke as final, he messed with her professionally like a jilted B. Otoh, judging by his audio clip of trying to force another foreign actress to relent to him, I thought he must've been very unhinged at rejection. He knows he looks like a huge, warty hog and he gets insane when his position and clout don't win out. He probably stopped accepting rejection as a given when he got professionally powerful.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

I understand AH's position
Quote:
You have choices. You can go to the police. You can go to a lawyer. You can go to the media. Hell, you can just decide to pursue a different career if you have to do it. Or you can just say, "No" and take the career consequences.
Those are realities based on circumstances. They beg to answer.

AH, you're a lawyer you know going to the police is frustrating. The media is all about sensationalism. You're saying a person can assault you and you'd quit a job that took years of schooling and countless hours of study to pass the bar you can decide to pursue a different career?

Can you afford a quality lawyer to take on Weinstine?

Are you the only one affected by Just Say No? How much did the project mean to their futures? How many families would be affected etc. In Selma's case those affected would be many.

Just say no is a heroic stance when you're not the one asked to be the hero.

Honestly ask yourself, What would you have done? There are too many holes in your position.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Honestly ask yourself, What would you have done? There are too many holes in your position.

This sort of culture will change for good only when people like you quit indirectly enabling people like Harvey Weinstein. When you start getting mad at the victim for keeping his/her mouth shut, and when you stop making excuses for people who endure abuse, the Harvey Weinsteins of the world will be out of business for good. For now, you are essentially a support group for the enablers of sexual abuse.

What would I do in 24's scenario? I'd get hauled to jail for assault while my boss searched the carpet for his missing teeth. Duh. I'm not a whore. Weinstein's victims had to weigh their dignity and personal autonomy against the possibility that they might not be cast in movies. They made a different choice than I would make. They made a business decision.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

I get what you’re saying, but I think there is probably a mix at play here. Some were legitimate victims that were genuinely afraid to say anything, and others where they made a business decision.

Don’t personally think it was only that either all or none were business decisions.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I get what you’re saying, but I think there is probably a mix at play here. Some were legitimate victims that were genuinely afraid to say anything, and others where they made a business decision.

Don’t personally think it was only that either all or none were business decisions.

If you want to look at it that way, then I suppose that there's a spectrum in terms of the cynicism of the motive.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:

This sort of culture will change for good only when people like you quit indirectly enabling people like Harvey Weinstein. When you start getting mad at the victim for keeping his/her mouth shut, and when you stop making excuses for people who endure abuse, the Harvey Weinsteins of the world will be out of business for good. For now, you are essentially a support group for the enablers of sexual abuse.

What would I do in 24's scenario? I'd get hauled to jail for assault while my boss searched the carpet for his missing teeth. Duh. I'm not a whore. Weinstein's victims had to weigh their dignity and personal autonomy against the possibility that they might not be cast in movies. They made a different choice than I would make. They made a business decision.

The culture is already changing because women spoke up. They sacrificed their dignity for the larger cause, burn the casting couch.

I am angry about the Weinsteins I'm not making excuses. I'm trying to understand why those who didn't speak up but are doing it now. I didn't narrow the canvas, I looked at the entire picture.

It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and play macho man. Not saying you wouldn't do what you said you would, saying I don't believe you.

I don't believe you'd sacrifice your licence as 24 laid reason.
Quote:
What if you had a boss that wanted you to perform embarrassing favors for him, and if you didn't, you'd never practice law in any real way again? Still a business decision? No coercion?

I'm not talking sexual favors. If you thought you'd lose your license if you didn't shine his shoes or some other embarrassing task to take your manhood, dignity, you'd send him to the local dentist?

Selma didn't sacrifice her body, she sacrificed her dignity. Would you sacrifice yours?

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Quote:
What if you had a boss that wanted you to perform embarrassing favors for him, and if you didn't, you'd never practice law in any real way again? Still a business decision? No coercion?

I'm not talking sexual favors. If you thought you'd lose your license if you didn't shine his shoes or some other embarrassing task to take your manhood, dignity, you'd send him to the local dentist.

What the hell are you talking about? 24's analogy was already pretty stretched, but you're making it downright silly. Now I'm being asked to shine my boss's shoes or I can never practice law again. Really? Maybe you've got some unusual tastes, but shining shoes is not a sex act for most of us.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:

I'm not talking sexual favors. If you thought you'd lose your license if you didn't shine his shoes or some other embarrassing task to take your manhood, dignity, you'd send him to the local dentist.

What the hell are you talking about? 24's analogy was already pretty stretched, but you're making it downright silly. Now I'm being asked to shine my boss's shoes or I can never practice law again. Really? Maybe you've got some unusual tastes, but shining shoes is not a sex act for most of us.

Leave out shining shoes, insert embarrassing acts. I prefaced I'm not talking sex.

ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:

Leave out shining shoes, insert embarrassing acts. I prefaced I'm not talking sex.

I think, and AH, correct me if I'm wrong here, his point is that there is another angle. That angle being, if I do *this* particular act, I can fast track my way to getting to where I want to be. That is a business decision.

I'm not sure if every single woman was necessarily in fear of alienation, but rather, viewed it as a business decision, but I'm obviously not convinced that every single woman viewed it as a business decision either. My personal opinion is that there was likely a mix of the two involved here, not that that changes Weinstein's standing as a disgusting human being.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Quote:

This is a thread about sexual harassment and abuse. It isn't a thread about embarrassing acts. I played along with 24's analogy because, even though it was implausible that something like that would (or even could) happen in the legal business, the analogy was relevant and I understood the point. You are taking it to a place where it is not relevant and has no point. I am not going to chase you around through a bunch of weird hypothetical scenarios.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
I think, and AH, correct me if I'm wrong here, his point is that there is another angle. That angle being, if I do *this* particular act, I can fast track my way to getting to where I want to be. That is a business decision.

That is the most cynical motivation, and there is a lot more of it than the activists would like to admit. Women are not fragile, helpless pieces of porcelain. For some of the women, this was absolutely a calculated business decision, though they may now have seller's remorse.

But it's a business decision for the others, too. If a woman takes the money and signs a non-disclosure agreement, that is obviously a business decision. If she does nothing at all, that's a business decision, too. Sure, there may be other factors that contribute to silence, and I can accept that there is a spectrum of motivations. In the end, though, if you feel that you have been sexually assaulted, and you keep quiet at least in part because you are afraid that speaking out will hurt your career, that's a business decision.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

Then of course, pretend that you had no way of proving it. Pretend that you went to police and they started an investigation. Then, in the mean time you were ostracized from every law firm or potential client and were unable to earn an income.
and thats where it gets nasty. It's completely unethical, wrong, and unfair to put someone in a position where they have to choose between having sex with you or their career. thats just wrong. BUT, the truth is, as an adult(not the kids) have a choice. You may end up never acting again. you may end up working a regular persons job. a shame? yes. but thats real life. do you know how many times my own mother passed up on certain jobs because of that sexual harrassment nonsense she had to deal with. those jobs could've made her enough money to get me and my sibling out of the hood. she made a choice. and that choice may have possibly changed our lives as well. The same choice was made by my mother in law. she actually worked in the offices within the industry back in the heyday of sexual harassment 70's. She made a choice to move on from Radio which is what she wanted to be involved in and was set to make a pretty penny. All due to over the top sexual harassment. Grown ups can make choices. even in an unfair situation.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

The Hollywood game is like football. You know the risks of the business when you try and break into it. I have no doubt there were naive people who are victims but lets not pretend like there arent woman who would give up sexual favors for a career on the big screen. Hollywood is gross and most of the people on the inside are so closed off from what the average person thinks and experiences it surprises me people still look up to them.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 26 of 44
Jump to: