NON-2 Max 2018 Summer Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject:

If we're bad enough to tank even after whiffing on free agency this summer, meaning we keep Randle to go along with 2nd year Zo, Kuz and Hart with breakout year Ingram then this team is completely screwed and nothing will save them.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So why not pseudo-tank with a rookie scale roster bolstered by cheaper young guys with some untapped potential like Looney, Joe Harris, Seth Curry, and even Noel?

I would choose that over paying too much for non-star players....or do this one year KCP type deals again. Maybe get one or two of those guys on "cheap" deals....2+1 (team option) variety! If they do not work....come off the books with Deng and Clarkson (if not traded)....if they do work, have them on super cheap deal for 3rd year with cap space to sign FA's....then their full bird rights the following year.

Do not forget about Hezonja!

I've long coveted Hez, but doubt we go for him. Apparently he's not the easiest guy to work with. And apparently we only want "high character" guys who are part of the "culture."
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject:

I would go for Avery Bradley and Derrick Favors
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

Ultimate question is on how long of a deal? If we do 4 year deals with them that eat up most of our cap space, no Bueno.
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

Ultimate question is on how long of a deal? If we do 4 year deals with them that eat up most of our cap space, no Bueno.

I think obviously we try to get them on as short of a deal as possible more like 2 year deals
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
PurpleAndGOAT wrote:

I think obviously we try to get them on as short of a deal as possible more like 2 year deals

Given their age, I don't think that's realistic. They'll want 4 years deals (especially Favors who has battled injuries). I think both would want at minimum, 3 year deals. Bradley I think is about 18-20m/year, Favors 16-18m a year. Not sure Favors wants to play center which is what he would have to do on the Lakers (though it's probably the best for him).
PurpleAndGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject:

I would settle for 3 year deals, Bradley is 27 yrs old and Favors 26 so these guys are in their prime right now and still have a lot left in the tank. Plus resigning Randle and we have a pretty nice frontcourt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

PurpleAndGOAT wrote:
I would settle for 3 year deals, Bradley is 27 yrs old and Favors 26 so these guys are in their prime right now and still have a lot left in the tank. Plus resigning Randle and we have a pretty nice frontcourt.

If we re-sign Jules, then that's the end of cap space for the foreseeable future. Not sure that's a wise way to go.

If anything, I would save 1 max slot for 2019 and spend whatever else is left in 2018.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

The Lakers are developing a good core. Notice that the Celtics,
Timberwolves, and Philly has completely changed their teams and positions with great FO work. Philly even has an all star.
The Lakers are not far behind if they do not fall into the trying to do everything all a once trap. Follow the examples of the teams above and everything will be great.
Just one all star player will turn the Lakers around.
Thought PG would be the player, but after seeing the Lakers destroyed by OKC, would PG want to come here?
It is foolish for the Lakers to tank with the pick going to the Celtics.
Money talks and OKC may not be able to max out PG. So there is
hope with him and he fits at his point in his career.
But the Lakers should look to hire some experienced coaches who can improve the young core. Not coaches who need a good team there already.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:

Money talks and OKC may not be able to max out PG. .

Do you really think the Thunder would have traded for George if they weren't prepared to max him out? That's not going to be an issue.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

Well there are a few things that might work in the Lakers favor.
Not much teams have cap room next season.
OKC has supermaxed Westbrook. Melo also max. Unless they win big time they might not have the money to max PG at 30k.
Whatever the case, cap room is previous and should not be wasted on Mosgov/Deng such assets.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject:

Still feel STRONGLY about not punting 2 max slots to 2019. Save 1 max slot, eat another year off of Deng/JC, sign vets on non-punt deals considering the 1 2019 max plan.

Still hoping that we get PG13 (which probably means another max FA is joining him). But if not, hoping even more we don't repeat the madness of 2016 and 2018.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

The Lakers have the deepest young core in the league. Not only are we the only team with 3 "rising stars" in Ingram, Lonzo, and Kuzma, but we have four other solid rotation players in Randle, Clarkson, Hart, and Nance all 25 years and under---not even counting KCP, Bryant, or Zubac.

We have won 7 of our last 9 games. With so many new players and a young coach, plus injuries and a jailing(!), it took us a while to gel but I am confident we are now just as good as the bottom run playoff teams --- and next year we will be better. If for some reason we don't make any roster changes, I would be surprised and disappointed if we didn't win 35 games this year and 45 games next year, with the exact same roster.

I really hope the Lakers can find a way to keep Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma, Randle, Clarkson, Hart, Nance, and hopefully Thomas Bryant. If we totally strike out in free agency, no problem at all, just keep building with this core, sign short term deals, and wait until we get better. If we are able to add one major piece in the off-season, we can be a 50+ win team next year and a competitor with any team in the league, except perhaps the Warriors (and we can beat them sometimes as well). Even so, I hope they can find a way to keep Jules, Clarkson, etc.

So, I'm not worried at all about not getting 2 max free agents. I love this team and I think the direction is solid. I will not blame Magic and Pelinka for trading Russell, even if we don't sign max players. They wanted to have a team with a different identity, focusing on a swarming defense, a fast-paced transition-oriented offense, and a positive team-first attitude. They are successfully building that and I applaud them.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

Plan B and C is now more important.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

Bottomline is we need to build a championship team. We need to keep a max slot open for 2020 when AD hits FA. Only other game changer that might be attainable is Kawhi in 2019.

We sign Jules to a reasonable contract say around 15 million.
If we sign PG that will be around 35 million in 2020.

Projected salary cap is 114 for 2020-2021.

Ball, Kuzma, Hart will all still be on rookie contracts.
Ingram will be in Randle's situation this year. His cap hold will likely be higher.
Factoring all that in, with Deng and Clarkson off the books, roughly 35 million in cap space.

Core roster: Ball, PG, Kuzma, Ingram, Randle, and Hart. We probably could find a way to keep guys like Caruso and Bryant. Nance would likely be a casualty.

Now you are talking about championships:
PG: Ball
SG: PG
SF: Ingram
PF: Kuzma
C: Davis
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

Give me your beet 2018 roster where we also punt one slot to 2019. Go.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Give me your beet 2018 roster where we also punt one slot to 2019. Go.

You can always trade guys like Clarkson and Randle if you need to open up another slot. I would hold off on stretching Deng unless we know we are getting PG. Sign Randle to a reasonable contract 15-16 million. Add PG. Keep it simple.

If PG stays with OKC, then it's a different ball game.
The contracts given out this summer will be much less than last year.

Favors on a 3 year contract, team option for 3rd year.
I wouldn't pay Bradley more than 16 but he would be a solid pickup.
Mirotic might be unrestricted this summer. I would consider signing him to a 2 year deal.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:
Bottomline is we need to build a championship team. We need to keep a max slot open for 2020 when AD hits FA. Only other game changer that might be attainable is Kawhi in 2019.

Ingram will be in Randle's situation this year. His cap hold will likely be higher.
Factoring all that in, with Deng and Clarkson off the books, roughly 35 million in cap space.

Core roster: Ball, PG, Kuzma, Ingram, Randle, and Hart. We probably could find a way to keep guys like Caruso and Bryant. Nance would likely be a casualty.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

So basically, Mitch's plan...

I'd love to see things shake out like that... would obv prefer Kwahi + AD and using 1 year guys again this summer if need be.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

So basically, Mitch's plan...

I'd love to see things shake out like that... would obv prefer Kwahi + AD and using 1 year guys again this summer if need be.

I would have never signed Deng and Mozgov so not really Mitch's plan.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

If we don’t land a max FA time to dump the 2 max plan concept for 2019.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject:

Klay Klay Klay
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject:

I would not sign anyone to any $20+MM per year deals in free agency if we can't get LeBron or PG (and I think we're down to those 2, like you say). I would probably do stuff like this:

--Trade JC for a 1st round pick in the 2018 Draft, if you can, assuming he hasn't been moved already

--Draft a rotation player with this pick in the draft that will be a source of cheap production for 4 years.

--Sign a player in free agency that can replace JC's production for even less money. Guys like Tyreke Evans, Will Barton, or even Lou Williams could fit the bill, and these would all be guys that won't get more than 3 year deals and all guys where they should be pretty easy to flip if you do need to open up cap space.

--Use the remaining cap space to absorb bad contracts (ideally expirings) and get draft picks, or possibly a combination of that along with being able to sign another nice value contract in free agency. Continue to accumulate assets. I think this is our best play, if we can't get true max players.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I would not sign anyone to any $20+MM per year deals in free agency if we can't get LeBron or PG (and I think we're down to those 2, like you say). I would probably do stuff like this:

--Trade JC for a 1st round pick in the 2018 Draft, if you can, assuming he hasn't been moved already

--Draft a rotation player with this pick in the draft that will be a source of cheap production for 4 years.

--Sign a player in free agency that can replace JC's production for even less money. Guys like Tyreke Evans, Will Barton, or even Lou Williams could fit the bill, and these would all be guys that won't get more than 3 year deals and all guys where they should be pretty easy to flip if you do need to open up cap space.

--Use the remaining cap space to absorb bad contracts (ideally expirings) and get draft picks, or possibly a combination of that along with being able to sign another nice value contract in free agency. Continue to accumulate assets. I think this is our best play, if we can't get true max players.

Would you agree though we should dispense with the 2 max FA nonsense if we whiff in 2018?
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject:

I want a Ball and Klay back court so badly.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11
Jump to: